2012_PlayeR

Centurion Mk. 7/1 Appreciation Thread

After 3200 games in the Centurion I've managed 73.05% wins, 2664 average damage and currently around 96.4% marks. So I think I'm at well above 3000 average damage in my last few hundred games in it.

Beside the slow top speed and low DPM, I think it's awesome. A total brute if you can hull down and control the pace of the engagements. With my crew and setup I have 509 meters view range at all times, so in some situations I can even spot and shoot tier 10 medium tanks without getting spotted myself (like for instance in this game). I find the gun far more snap-shot-able than any other tier 9 mediums with the L7. And the armor makes it resilient to light tank fire unlike the PTA and AMX 30 p.

Very flexible and reliable tank, at least for me.

Just reached this tank, but after I scrolled through the topic looking for relevant information about the main pdr gun grind I guess I have to touch the tournament gold stash and free xp the big gun lel

20 Pounder Type B is alright. You get a tremendous DPM- and accuracy-advantage for the price of bollocks shell velocity, okish pen and a temperamental accuracy when not fully aimed. Definitly workable though.

I'm starting to get the hang of this tank I think,

it it would be appreciated if people could review this game for me and let me know where I went wrong, HESH never seems to work most of the time for me. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/2167579#arctic_region-bolagnaise-centurion_mk_7_1

20 Pounder Type B is alright. You get a tremendous DPM- and accuracy-advantage for the price of bollocks shell velocity, okish pen and a temperamental accuracy when not fully aimed. Definitly workable though.

I might give that a try; getting tired of the glacial 11 sec reload on the L7.

Isn't it amazing how a British crew in a huge 7/1 turret cant reload a British 105mm gun anywhere near as fast as a US M46 crew in a smaller turret reloading a clone of the same 105mm gun? 

I might give that a try; getting tired of the glacial 11 sec reload on the L7.

Isn't it amazing how a British crew in a huge 7/1 turret cant reload a British 105mm gun anywhere near as fast as a US M46 crew in a smaller turret reloading a clone of the same 105mm gun? 

Ya, the RoF on the L7 is glacial. However, I'd take the L7 over the 20 pounder any time. The increased pen, overmatch-potential (20 pounder is an 83mm gun) and accuracy via shell velocity is just too good to pass for me. But if it works for you, it works and the 20 pounder is far from being bad.

Well I ACED it, this was the game that broke the camels back. CENT 7/1 sold. 

Monstrous result. The highest damage I ever managed was barely 6k. Then again, it was my first tier 9. Done with the grind then? 

Monstrous result. The highest damage I ever managed was barely 6k. Then again, it was my first tier 9. Done with the grind then? 

I'm just going to save my unconverted XP for the Action X. Playing a slightly better 7/1 right now does not interest me in the slightest. The Action X is meant to have HEAT. If it gets it, I will get the tank, if it doesn't, what's the point, you can't pen anything Russian hull down, or E3 or JPE100 or flank, you have shitty turret armour etc right now. WG need to buff the 7/1 and FV4202 by giving it a higher top speed.

Probably the only line other than French TDs where the tanks get worse the further up the line you go. Comet is king. 

Edited by bolagnaise

I'm just going to save my unconverted XP for the Action X. Playing a slightly better 7/1 right now does not interest me in the slightest. The Action X is meant to have HEAT. If it gets it, I will get the tank, if it doesn't, what's the point, you can't pen anything Russian hull down, or E3 or JPE100 or flank, you have shitty turret armour etc right now. WG need to buff the 7/1 and FV4202 by giving it a higher top speed.

Probably the only line other than French TDs where the tanks get worse the further up the line you go. Comet is king. 

Comet is the king of soft stats. It's the epitome of a tank whose hard stats don't even tell the full story of how effective it is. I sold my Cromwell and kept the Comet due to the astronomical differences in gun handling. 

On a somewhat unrelated note, I dumped 70k free exp on the BP to get to the Caravan. 

I'm wondering what the best equipment layout for the 7/1 is. Currently running optics, rammer and vert stab. Considering switching out vert stab for gld to temper the hyper derpy 105. Had a game last night where I only penned 5 shots out of 21 despite letting the aim circle settle fully (possibly also got bottom raped by rng that match). Also, is it worth while to run tea? I have a serious aversion to using food since it seems every time I use it I get set on fire, but I may risk it for better gun performance. 

Edited by Gmoney838

I'm wondering what the best equipment layout for the 7/1 is. Currently running optics, rammer and vert stab. Considering switching out vert stab for gld to temper the hyper derpy 105. Had a game last night where I only penned 5 shots out of 21 despite letting the aim circle settle fully (possibly also got bottom raped by rng that match). Also, is it worth while to run tea? I have a serious aversion to using food since it seems every time I use it I get set on fire, but I may risk it for better gun performance. 

How would switching the Vert Stab for a GLD help in any way?  Vert Stab is better in every possible situation.

How would switching the Vert Stab for a GLD help in any way?  Vert Stab is better in every possible situation.

that 2.3 second aimtime is a lie. Felt like I was playing an IS with gun depression. And seeing as the cent can't even begin to dream about snapshotting. Pure speculation friend. 

I was thinking about switching out optics for vents. With BIA, Recon, Sit. Awareness, food and vents, view range would be something like 470, I think.

that 2.3 second aimtime is a lie. Felt like I was playing an IS with gun depression. And seeing as the cent can't even begin to dream about snapshotting. Pure speculation friend. 

2.3 seconds aim time seems like a lie due to awful dispersion. Any movement will fuck up you aiming reticle so much, that it will take ages for it to shrink. VStab helps with dispersion, so you definitely want to keep it. If you want to improve gun handling, remove optics and put GLD or Vents instead.

Also, IS actually has better dispersion on turret rotation than Cent 7/1 :)

After 3200 games in the Centurion I've managed 73.05% wins, 2664 average damage and currently around 96.4% marks. So I think I'm at well above 3000 average damage in my last few hundred games in it.

Beside the slow top speed and low DPM, I think it's awesome. A total brute if you can hull down and control the pace of the engagements. With my crew and setup I have 509 meters view range at all times, so in some situations I can even spot and shoot tier 10 medium tanks without getting spotted myself (like for instance in this game). I find the gun far more snap-shot-able than any other tier 9 mediums with the L7. And the armor makes it resilient to light tank fire unlike the PTA and AMX 30 p.

Very flexible and reliable tank, at least for me.

Curious what your skills/equipment setup are to get to 509m.  I assume you must be running optics.  I have vents, bia, 100% sa, 80% recon, and I'm at 451m.  According to wotinfo, 100% recon is only going to get me to 452m... 

Btw, just had my best game in this (http://wotreplays.com/site/2209099#stats), 7-kills, hi-cal, and ace.  I love the cent-7!  After watching my own replay, I saw 3 mistakes, that could have gotten me the radleys.  I've course if I had gotten all three... 

Curious what your skills/equipment setup are to get to 509m.  I assume you must be running optics.  I have vents, bia, 100% sa, 80% recon, and I'm at 451m.  According to wotinfo, 100% recon is only going to get me to 452m... 

Btw, just had my best game in this (http://wotreplays.com/site/2209099#stats), 7-kills, hi-cal, and ace.  I love the cent-7!  After watching my own replay, I saw 3 mistakes, that could have gotten me the radleys.  I've course if I had gotten all three... 

BiA+Recon+Sit Aware+Food+Optics would be my guess. Have to do the math to see if vents will achieve the same effect.

so free xp past this to the 4202 or play it. this thread is so back and forth lol

so free xp past this to the 4202 or play it. this thread is so back and forth lol

The 4202 isn't better and some consider it worse, so why waste free xp?

The Cent 7/1 is liked by some, loathed by others. It used to be an acceptable, though role-limited tank pre-HD, where the long sightlines and open maps allowed you to engage in the hull-down sniping that it excelled in. However, the HD model nerfed the mantlet and made the turret easier to pen, and the shift to more compressed engagement ranges meant that you are now forced to fight at closer range where the weak points in the turret are more easily targeted. Combine that with derpy gun handling and a slow reload, and you need to aim in for a couple of seconds after peeking in order to land your shot, and that's just not as possible these days.

FWIW, I liked mine, but I sold it recently.

Centurion 7/1 looks sexy and you really want to be the sexiest tank on the battlefield despite terrible bloom and rld.

FWIW, I run mine with VStab, rammer and vents plus food.  It doesn't seem to burn much, and the improved reload and handling are worth it I think.  I'd say try this setup and see if it agrees with you.

The 4202 isn't better and some consider it worse, so why waste free xp?

The 4202 is getting replaced by the Cent Action X probably within in the next 3 weeks. From what I've read of people playing it on the test server, opinions are pretty positive, especially when compared to the 4202.

As for the equipment discussion, I was getting extremely poor results until I switched out optics and the fire extinguisher for vents and food. My view range is at 468 with BIA, recon, and 63% sit. awareness. Now instead of extremely poor performance, I've been doing just average. That may have to do more with the fact that I'm starting to get used to tier 9 moreso than the loadout, though. Eh, what am I saying, I'm bad at tanks. =P

Just got this tank recently and I quite surprise when almost 1200 base exp is not even 1st class. WTH.

BTW for me, gun is good. Just kinda annoying with the DPM. And the top speed.. I feel sad when an IS4 managed to slowly overtake me when I hit 40kmh moving out from the spawn in El -Halluf lol.