perpixel

Are good platoons bad for your stats?

That's a great little piece of info. I guess I just assumed that all players at your level use the force to know what's going on.

+1 for you and an addition to my "things I can potentially contribute" list.

I can glance at the minimap and see tank numbers, but someone actually in the middle of the fight knows better how well it's holding. the minimap can't tell me health, if autoloaders have a clip full, how hesitant they're being etc.

Platooning with other good players doesn't always mean that you all have to go together on one flank.  A lot of times we don't really discuss it much.  You kinda assume that they know what they are doing and it doesn't hurt to say "hey I am going 8 line" or whatever general area you are headed.  Like stealth said sometimes you just need the other party to hold down a line and allow you to push through the other flank.  It does help a lot if a flank is falling and you need to coordinate base defense, so you can determine who is going back.  A lot of times in pubs people just ignore chat, but with voice comms you can communicate with at least one other person and come up with a plan.  Platoon composition has a lot to do with deployment too.  Full platoon of mediums, well you probably ought to wolfpack and stay together.  Spotter, Anchor and Damage dealer you need to play your roles. 

I find the most fun platoons are ones with great communication and coordination. I ran with Mrsmiliey and Oxmathus the other night and we chatted about the battle plan and about things in general the whole time. Ran almost 90% for the night. It's a lot more effective than just pubbing it out with each other and a lot more fun too, in my opinion.

It's not very specific either, just "let's take east flank" and "I'm pushing through, cover me please."

What say you Unica?

A) Let the greenie join in, play their own game the best they can and correct as they go?

B) Coach/order them around from the start possibly distracting yourself in the process?

What do you guys prefer?

When I platoon with yellows and greens I almost always direct the battle or coordinate with them. "I'm going to run across the gulch and light up the other side, can you two set up here [ping] and snipe for me until it's clear?" I don't expect them to be able to be too useful on their own, but there are many situations that all you need is a gun watching your back or another body intimidating the enemy into not pushing on you.

I guess I'm different than a lot of guys here; when I platoon with yellows/greens/etc I don't give any directions at all. I basically let them use their judgment and go/do whatever they want. Of course I'll let them know if they ask, or if I see something needing help, or if I'm dead and ghosting them, and I see something they're missing (e.g. just flank behind them already), but for the most part I'm basically silent on strategy, etc. 

Most of the time they follow me,  which can be good or bad, depending; idk, I like initiative in my platoonmates, as long as it isn't throwing obvious matches or making consistently poor decisions

I always try to coordinate in some form or fashion or else why platoon?  I'm also pretty open to suggestions from anyone and will go along unless I think it's really dumb.

That's a great little piece of info. I guess I just assumed that all players at your level use the force to know what's going on.

+1 for you and an addition to my "things I can potentially contribute" list.

I was thinking last night and I want to expand on this.

Saying 'players at my level' isn't a very good way of thinking. Especially for the burple/light purple area. Many of us have different skillsets down, there have been threads on this before but basically, lets assume i'm equal to crab (lawl). Crab excells at minimap awareness and the flow of the fight. Playing with him it seems like it's instinct to him how everything is happening. I don't have half the minimap awareness/battle flow he does, but I can force my burple stats in other areas, through armor angling, trading, etc. Players, especially in the burple range, generally have different skillsets that got them there, it's not until a deeper purple that you really have 90%+ of the skillsets down (AKA Carbonward doesn't have twitch shooting skills IIRC)

I guess I'm different than a lot of guys here; when I platoon with yellows/greens/etc I don't give any directions at all. I basically let them use their judgment and go/do whatever they want. Of course I'll let them know if they ask, or if I see something needing help, or if I'm dead and ghosting them, and I see something they're missing (e.g. just flank behind them already), but for the most part I'm basically silent on strategy, etc. 

Most of the time they follow me,  which can be good or bad, depending; idk, I like initiative in my platoonmates, as long as it isn't throwing obvious matches or making consistently poor decisions

Me and you are basically the same then. Maybe it's why we can work platooning together without TS or even generally communication. We just assume the other one knows what they're doing and can pick up on and support YOLOs.

I always try to coordinate in some form or fashion or else why platoon?  I'm also pretty open to suggestions from anyone and will go along unless I think it's really dumb.

Don't mistake me. I do coordinate. I just don't talk about it.

Basically what I mean is I read the minimap, look at how things are developing and where my plat mates seem to be going, and exploit any opportunities I see. It's very hands-off, but it certainly is a coordinated approach- I guess I just don't worry about sharing what I'm about to do beforehand, and I hope that my platoonmates can do the same, as far as taking advantage of my movements. I do my best to create opportunities, but I leave it to my platoon mates' discretion to decide what to do with them.. for the most part.

Don't mistake me. I do coordinate. I just don't talk about it.

Basically what I mean is I read the minimap, look at how things are developing and where my plat mates seem to be going, and exploit any opportunities I see. It's very hands-off, but it certainly is a coordinated approach- I guess I just don't worry about sharing what I'm about to do beforehand, and I hope that my platoon mates can do the same, as far as taking advantage of my movements. I do my best to create opportunities, but I leave it to my platoon mates' discretion to decide what to do with them.. for the most part.

We could define the differences then as active vs passive coordination. I actively let people know what I'm doing and why. I think it depends on the comfort level between platoon-mates on how well the passive coordination would work.

Two days ago I went only solo and managed a lousy 54% or so WR with over 2400wn7, while yesterday when I was grinding my Obj704 and was platooning with my brother (unicum) I managed to only achieve 1850wn7 but a WR of like 68% or so? It was usually a 3-man platoon.

I'd say if you want good WR you mostly need to platoon otherwise you just run solo for the sake of your own stats.

I think good platoons would mean less damage for the individuals in the platoons, since good players are each able to take away more from the enemy HP pool than most pubbies, leaving less for a single player to soak up.

That said, I find platoons more fun regardless, since it means you have someone to coordinate with and you're guaranteed a certain degree of player quality with at least a portion of your team.  It also makes playing certain tanks much less frustrating.  (e.g. Churchill VII, which is pretty damn crummy alone)

We could define the differences then as active vs passive coordination. I actively let people know what I'm doing and why. I think it depends on the comfort level between platoon-mates on how well the passive coordination would work.

I dunno, could also just be that I tend to solo half and platoon half of my games (well, depends on the tank, I solo 70-80% of my T-54/E-100 games, but almost never will you see me alone in my KV-5). Because of that, even when I platoon I'm usually still in that "read what's going on and influence accordingly" mindset, so I coordinate accordingly but don't really bother sharing.

I also actively despise being micro'd, so I tend to be hands off, even when I'm calling battles in tourneys- and that mindset translates to "do whatever the fuck you want, but I'll be pissed if we lose more than we win" in pubs

I read that some UNICUMS platoon with average/good players so they can maximise dmg and have some support. The avg/ good players are just grateful to have a UNICUM on their side so they are happy to take orders.

So true

I love when random unicums ask me to platoon once every few months

Depends entirely upon the platoon, I know that when I platoon with Adroxis/Endo and I'm lazy, not paying attention or in a slower tank than them it's very easy to miss out on damage, especially if it is a roflstomp of enemy team. With more defensive and cautious platoon mates it's not as punishing to be slow or not paying attention, but overall I'd say it's easier to farm damage solo for those who care about that.

I'm not a great player so, platooning doesn't hurt my stats at all.  The players in my clan are normally at least equal to my skill level or better so, I don't have to worry about platooning with a couple of chumps.  The biggest difference for me is normally an increase in win rate.  I tend to lean towards low alpha, high ROF tanks so, I often take a support role in platoons.  This leads to a slight increase in kills but, I don't really see a decrease in damage.  A good platoon allows me to fight more enemy tanks & survive when I make a stupid mistake (I do this alot).

The major drawback of a platoon for me is when I'm trying to complete missions and/or grinding up a couple of tanks.  The 3 tank weekend mission is a great example.  If I get whacked early during the mission, it's back to the garage & select another mission tank.  In a platoon you have to wait until everyone is done before you play another game.  Plus, if your switching tanks a platoon is slower because you have to wait for everyone to ready up. 

I still play most of my games in solo pub but, I love having a "platoon only" clan that allows me this option when I want it. 

I recently had a little bit of an issue platooning with my clanmates the other day. Its weird, but generally my WR is higher (and other stats as well) when I'm solo-pubbing. If I'm running solo, if I feel its needed to turn around and defend our own cap, I can do that. I answer to no one. If I think someone needs to go hill, that someone can be me.

I'm brand new to this clan, and pretty much have to take orders from everyone. I'm having the issue that some of the guys I run with are bad callers. Like, BAD. They have no adaptability, and consistently "stay the course" when its clearly inappropriate.

When I ran with some of my old/more casual clans, people were more than happy having me call the platoon. It seemed to work. Up until these past couple weeks, my WR and WN7 were skyrocketing, and I was running a 60% 30-day. Now that I have to listen to other people and camp hard, its hurting ALL my stats.

The worst part was, I talked to an officer, who will remain unnamed, for about 45 minutes in TS. I was trying to tell him that when running pub matches, winning comes first, and that you should assume everyone is a potato and its your responsibility to carry hard. Sometimes that means splitting up for the sake of the win. I had a few more points but I'll leave it at that.

He disagreed with me on every point, and said that platoon member should NEVER split up, and that its NOT your job to worry about what the other 12 people are doing.

I am still frustrated that he is communicating to me that dying together holding hands is better than splitting up to attempt to win. I'm going back and forth about whether or not this is even a good clan for me. Anyone have thoughts?

Since my stats clearly show I am bad@tanks. And I no longer believe that MM gives you a break if you have a long loss streak after this Morning. I think that a 2 person platoon may help your stats versus solo pubbing. If you are in positions to help each other, watch each other's back, then you may be more willing to take a chance to get more damage and a kill shot or absorb a shot for your platoon mate. 3 person platoon, maybe more likely to be fighting for the same damage and frags.

I recently had a little bit of an issue platooning with my clanmates the other day. Its weird, but generally my WR is higher (and other stats as well) when I'm solo-pubbing. If I'm running solo, if I feel its needed to turn around and defend our own cap, I can do that. I answer to no one. If I think someone needs to go hill, that someone can be me.

I'm brand new to this clan, and pretty much have to take orders from everyone. I'm having the issue that some of the guys I run with are bad callers. Like, BAD. They have no adaptability, and consistently "stay the course" when its clearly inappropriate.

When I ran with some of my old/more casual clans, people were more than happy having me call the platoon. It seemed to work. Up until these past couple weeks, my WR and WN7 were skyrocketing, and I was running a 60% 30-day. Now that I have to listen to other people and camp hard, its hurting ALL my stats.

The worst part was, I talked to an officer, who will remain unnamed, for about 45 minutes in TS. I was trying to tell him that when running pub matches, winning comes first, and that you should assume everyone is a potato and its your responsibility to carry hard. Sometimes that means splitting up for the sake of the win. I had a few more points but I'll leave it at that.

He disagreed with me on every point, and said that platoon member should NEVER split up, and that its NOT your job to worry about what the other 12 people are doing.

I am still frustrated that he is communicating to me that dying together holding hands is better than splitting up to attempt to win. I'm going back and forth about whether or not this is even a good clan for me. Anyone have thoughts?

Someone did the math on it a while back and found that a platoon of mid-level players is worse for teams than those same players solo pubbing. Good players together make a much larger impact for the better on games.

Being forced to platoon with, and follow the orders of, bad players...? ugh.

I've never heard of this clan, but anybody who has iron-clad rules about what to do and when is by definition inflexible: that loses games far too often for my taste.

I'd consider moving on unless you have some serious stake in staying.

For me, I'd rather have enjoyable games in a platoon than having a stressful time solo-ing. 

If you solo, it's quite common that half your team dies in under 4 min, or they somehow all camp behind you/in base, leaving you no way to farm damage. 

So it's less about stats and more about being able to play more games. I've recently started platooning and while it's true that my Kills per game and Average damage went down a bit, my WR definitely went up enough to cover it.

Interesting. I got three separate thoughts for ya:

A) get in the wotlabs channel in game to pick up good platoons.

B) I checked noobmeter, for recent 30 day stats, you're between best and third best in your clam.

C) given what you have said about the way that clan wants platoons run and given what I said in point B, I'd suggest either ditching the clan OR just stop platooning with them and see point A.

To answer some questions:

The reason no one has heard of [MANTI] is because its relatively new. Its actually another subset of the [CRABS] alliance, coming after [CLAWS]. It just recently got over 40 members, so its not exactly been around for very long.

The reason I'm not in one of the better of the three clans is one reason: my lack of an arsenal of Tier 10s. I only have one. I've only been playing this game about 6 months, and only have an E100. CLAWS said they would have taken me if I would have had a few more, and one of the guys I was familiar with suggested I join MANTI. I was hesitant, because of what you mentioned (WN7s and WRs are incredibly low, even for my standards) but I'm giving them a shot. A lot of their tacticians aren't open to criticism, and imo not very good.

But these guys have 20k+ games under their belts, so I've been trying to take their words for some stuff. idk how long this is going to last though, honestly.

I remember this one manti retard in his e75, I soloed him in a 54 100-0 with me taking 0 dmg.

He promptly said "gold rounds are for noobs, stupid gaykac uses them"

so yeah why are you with those retards.

Like really, an shitty subclam of a good clam, like rel-a, foxey would do fine for you.

The way I see it is like this.

Solo-pub: Maximum damage and kills for you but with more pressure to over perform to carry your pubbies. Personally I don't overly enjoy solo-pubbing but do it anyways sometimes when there's no one to platoon with or I'm just grabbing a quick game or two. 

Two man platoon: Still high potential for your solo-pub level damage and kills with the added incentive of having a competent (hopefully) and cooperative teammate near you or protecting the other flank. I personally love two man platoons, as I generally don't miss out on damage/kills/exp/credits any more than I do solo-pubbing. Although, you have more carrying potential than solo-pubbing, you have less than a full platoon.

Full platoon: Most potential for carrying and winning games. However, it generally decreases the amount of damage/kills you can get depending on how your pubbies did. You also now have two people that you are obligated to help keep alive. Three man platoons are my favorite though, as I enjoy winning over anything. However, if your motto is padding WN you may want to try some two man platoons or three man platoons with a couple of less skilled, but capable players.