Aquavolt

AMX 50 120 (un)Appreciation Thread

What's better...optics or vert stab on the 50/120?

First 70 games: nothing but hate for zero (or negative) camo, ammo rack getting damaged by every shot, no depression & no elevation on the gun.

After researching the gun, engine and tracks it turned out to be pretty decent. If I were to start grinding this again I would free exp the gun in a heartbeat.

You have the answer a few posts back. But here it is again:

tracks -> best gun -> engine

v.stab, GLD, binoculars

Interesting skills to take:

Controlled Impact. I ram lots of tanks when I am reloading or to finish them off.

Designated Target. I use it together with binoculars to counter it's long intra drum reload. You can always make 1, sometimes even two shots more before the target disappears.

I don't like it btw and consider it to be a worse T54E1. But I still managed to raise it's wr to 65% after 95 games. I hope my good luck doesn't abandon me. =D

So i have this tank now. 100mm is so horrible at tier IX and X. 1600 DPG from 8 matches. Man this will be so pain to grind 120mm, already unlocked tracks so at least i could put my equipement on this huge barn >.<

Buy the equipment that enhances it's carrying potential and fling pure APCR, even a green like me managed about 2k dmg per game that way.

Btw, the most horrible moments in this tank are those where you are fighting 1v5 in the end, kill 4 of them but when you march off to clip the remaining SU-152, it just flings a big ol' HE penetration in your face. I do realize I made a mistake in the end but still, why getting punished in such a harsh manner?

I love the tank because the damage potential is enormous but I will gladly sell it for a 50B and rejoice.

Why the fuck would you use only APCR? It seems like there is just one solution for every problem here: buy premium ammo... :#

Well it does not fix anything. It does not fix gun elevation, non existent armor, huge profile, large reload time, large intra drum reload, not even long aim time.

It does do one thing very well tho, it makes noobs lose a lot of credits. :thumbup:

Why the fuck would you use only APCR? It seems like there is just one solution for every problem here: buy premium ammo... :#

Well it does not fix anything. It does not fix gun elevation, non existent armor, huge profile, large reload time, large intra drum reload, not even long aim time.

It does do one thing very well tho, it makes noobs lose a lot of credits. :thumbup:

Trust me, it helps for most players. 

I am talking about the stock gun and the fact that the 120 is much slower than the 100 but at the same time larger, much easily spotted etc. In effect, you usually can't get off more than 3 shots with the stock gun before the target shoots back and in consequence, 232mm pen is nice but not amazing when making sure that every shot penetrates. Moreover, when using the stock gun players usually are still getting used to the tank and removing one thing they need to worry about at tier 9/10 helps when trying to figure out how to deal with the many flaws of the 120. Also shooting APCR ensures that the stock grind is as short as possible (it's a weak dominance).

Once upgraded I don't see much benefit in shooting APCR - at least I haven't used it more than twice so far. But that's another story, the top gun on the 120 has it drawbacks but penetration is certainly not amongst them.

I just finished it, it took me only 260 games. But I had it in the garage for a long time, because I did not play it very often, and I don't have premium acc.

I played it from stock to full with no free exp and very limited gold usage. My final win rate is 64%. It seems like that is my maximum, and I'm perfectly happy with that considering I'm mostly a solo player. I'm fairly happy with other stats too, I have a survival rate of over 40%, KD ratio of almost 3, and my DPG is above 2300. I don't think I ever had a 2300 dmg game in it tho, I either do 4-5k or fail miserably.

So, final stats wise, I'm very pleased. But I did not really enjoy it. It was a nigthmare when stock. And a nightmare when playing maps like El Halluf, Westfield, Severogorsk, and any other map where you might get attacked from "above". Gun elevation was the number 1 cause of frustrations for me, but there is a long list of other things too: huge profile, weak armor, lots of module damage, long intra-drum reload, long reloads when any crew member is out, bad gun handling, and no camo at all.

I'm an aggresive player used to leading pushes and dieing early, so it doesn't fit my play style at all. There is a lot of waiting when you are playing AMX 50 120. Waiting to reload, waiting for enemies to come somewhere where you can actually turn your gun towards them, waiting in ambushes, waiting for enemy reaction so you can counter it, waiting for allies to catch up with you etc. Every time I tried to be aggresive like usual, and to create some opportunities for myself by myself I was punished, severely.

The only explanation to why my score in it is better than in any other tier 9 I played before is because my skills improved, and this thing is an auto-loader. It's frustrating and it makes you pull your hair out, but when you deploy it properly it is game-breaking even on bad platforms like this one.

I would highly advise you to play it in a platoon. If you find one or two players who know how to lure the enemy into you and to stall fights while you are reloading you can even enjoy this ugly beast of a tank.  :smallsmile:

For me it was a very easy if boring grind. As expected its OP like every auto-loader. Elevation is wank, but I can remember only a few times it really bothered me, you just have to plan your route.

Stock wasnt too bad since I had a lot of the modules unlocked and a good chunk of free exp for the gun. Even then the 100mm with gold is workable.

I'm currently grinding it and it's not as bad as many seem to think. I have around 2800 average damage and +70 % WR most of the time (mainly solo). I always try to go for early damage and rest of the round is pretty much waiting game and trying to look for openings. One thing I've noticed is that I rarely get to shoot whole clip. Usually it's 2-3 shots and then reload. With 50b I will get atleast one extra shot in, which is a nice motivator for grind. First time I noticed the trollish gun elevation when I had a encounter match in Himmelsdorf and I rushed down to snipe hill, but couldn't shoot where I normally can. I really have to keep that in mind when I drive it.

Overall it's damn fine t9 tank and it has very unique playstyle compared to other heavies.

For me it was a very easy if boring grind. As expected its OP like every auto-loader. Elevation is wank, but I can remember only a few times it really bothered me, you just have to plan your route.

Stock wasnt too bad since I had a lot of the modules unlocked and a good chunk of free exp for the gun. Even then the 100mm with gold is workable.

It isn't the elevation that bothers me. 2 things make this thing hard to play for me..

1 is it horrible camo but this is mostly my own problem. i just don't have the patience for this kind of tanks. and tend to get forward to early getting spotted before i see anything. (also the reason my highest non-prem tier td is a jagdpz 4. )

2 is the atrocious gun handling.  Might be selective memory buy mannnnn this aimtime is horrible and even if you wait 4 sec before shooting your shells are going al over the place. The 50-100 felt way more comfortable in this perspective.

I have no ideas if the number support this claim but this seem to be my problems with this tank

Welp, finished this grind and sold the tank gladly (just no point in keeping it). I finally played the tank exclusively for a few days, and as expected my opinion changed a bit regarding it's performance. I tend to jump around from tank to tank a lot, which messes with my performance (playing a variety of play styles can do that to me). I increased my dpg a fair bit over the final 100 matches, finished with 1,700. Always nice to be above your own health. I used gold rounds for about 1% of my shots fired, so there is that to consider (I just don't use gold). VB addict gives me a WN8 of 1569. 

Take aways: Gun Handling. Playing the tank exclusively, it became much more intuitive where to go on maps so it wasn't as big an issue. I would look for little rocks, elevations, shoot backwards, whatever it took to get my gun into position. However, you still have many of those moments where you just cannot get your gun on target and it makes you rage. Also, the shells can go wacky at times, no doubt. The shells seem to love traveling to the edge of your aim reticle, more so than others. 

Coming from the 50 100, got to love that shorter reload. The 400 damage shots and higher penetration. The French certainly know how to penetrate their targets. None of their tanks lack for penetration. The speed is awesome, but as stated, your shit camo can negate it at times. It's one thing to change positions, another to be spotted while doing so. You lose that surprise factor of suddenly appearing on a new flank and unloading your clip in a pushing heavy, if you are spotted while moving. 

I learned a lot about tier 9/10 tanks with this thing. Namely, reload times, weak spots, expected damage from enemy tanks etc. I feel well perpared for my 50B and Bat Chat having played this tank. Overall, not the worst, not the best. I would place it with the AMX 45 in terms of performance/frustration/enjoyment of the line. I am really excited to have the 50B with it's extra HP, armor (I know, but one bounce is better than never), tier X MM and most importantly: gun elevation and depression. 

Finally finished grind. Here are the end stats (didn't use any premium ammo):

JjVOSMw.jpg

Solid T9 heavy, but not a keeper. In the end the biggest flaw was delay between shots. I think I could have squeezed 1k more average damage with 50b.

15 battles in, free xp'd the 120mm right away and slapped on a fresh 100% crew and a commander with Sixth Sense. It feels quite sluggish compared to the 50 100, though I don't have the upgraded engine and tracks.

Following the advice of poasters before me, I haven't been frontlining or even playing on the second line. It works pretty well as a TD early game and cleanup late game. Also it is huge, always spotted and no one will miss or bounce you. I'm liking it so far.

IMO, the 50 120's a worse T54E1, a worse Batchat 25 AP, and a worse Skoda.

Everything good about the tank (and it's pretty much the 120mm gun) is murdered by the horrible chassis and the horrible gun handling. Worth it for the 50B but probably one of the worst 9s you can get.

19 hours ago, FavreFan4ever said:

IMO, the 50 120's a worse T54E1, a worse Batchat 25 AP, and a worse Skoda.

Everything good about the tank (and it's pretty much the 120mm gun) is murdered by the horrible chassis and the horrible gun handling. Worth it for the 50B but probably one of the worst 9s you can get.

E1 is dog shit, at leadt thi have superb APCR. 

57 minutes ago, BlackAdder said:

E1 is dog shit, at leadt thi have superb APCR. 

Even APCR won't do damage if you can't get the gun on target... every little bump in the road makes you rethink your decision to go down the French HT line...