ViktorKitov

The terrible A-44

Do not get this tank, unless you really want the Obj. 416.

Let me list a few reasons...

-Terrible elevation and depression

-Terrible aim time and dispersion

-Terrible reload

-Terrible gun selection

-Rear mounted turret

-Weak armor all-round

-Easily damaged engine (From the front and rear)

+Reasonably accurate gun

+Good penetration

+Fairly agile

For the record, I took down a HAVOK member who was in an A-44 in my SU-122-44 without APCR and without doing anything to try and not die. I took no damage and every shot of mine penned and 100%ed him. That's how bad the A-44 is.

On second thought... that could have been my camo, but he was only about 70m away.

Oh yeah, he did mention that "every shot damages the engine".

I have this tank and have mixed opinion. On one hand its very fast and agile and has a powerful gun but on the other hand, the lack of depression and the engine vulnerability is a pain in the ass

Overall I like my IS better and I believe the A-44 is not a keeper tank but is simply a stepping stone

Argh, so it´s that bad? I kinda liked the A43... 10k away from A44.. :(

My T-34M (I dont want it to have anything in common with the A-44) stats are purple. The A-44...not so much.

And it's just not fun to play, reminds me of the anemic SU-101.

PS This is coming from a guy that has 14 000 games in soviet tanks, 1300 in an IS-7 and 1100 in a T-62A (Bad depression is my middle name)

+Reasonably accurate gun

0.45 doesn't strike me as all that accurate, particularly with the 3.4 second aim time making snap shots a great way to get killed.

Argh, so it´s that bad? I kinda liked the A43... 10k away from A44.. :(

The two are night and day. The A-43 I found quite enjoyable, a Soviet Easy 8. The A-44 is like a turreted SU-101, which is to say garbage. The engine dies constantly, the fuel tanks aren't much better, the gun is frustrating at best (same accuracy and aim time as the T-150, lower rate of fire), the turret face is junk so reverse angling is an exercise in futility....

It feels like the usual benefits of a rear turret (bigger gun, reverse angling) just don't apply to this tank. The gun is bigger, yes, but it's so clumsy it's almost not worth it (if it had an 85mm I might actually downgrade). It isn't even as fast as the A-43 either.

I ended up doing fairly well in it, despite hating it for the most part:

Z5LCGTp.png

I also think I lost my engine more times in those 84 matches than I have in my other 17,800 combined. Its only real strength is its mobility. I would use its speed to be hyper aggressive and bully any similarly-fast tanks that I'd run into first with the relatively high alpha. I found the armor to actually hold up fairly well against lower-tiered stuff (unlike, e.g. the T20), especially when reverse angling.

The top gun is so bad I almost considered mounting one of the Tier 5 guns and just spamming premium ammunition. 0.45 accuracy with 3.4 aim time is absurdly bad. Strangely, I set my new best Reaper streak (10) in this tank. I was honestly more surprised I connected with 10 shots in a row than the fact that they were kills.

The top gun is so bad I almost considered mounting one of the Tier 5 guns and just spamming premium ammunition. 0.45 accuracy with 3.4 aim time is absurdly bad. Strangely, I set my new best Reaper streak (10) in this tank. I was honestly more surprised I connected with 10 shots in a row than the fact that they were kills.

Reaper doesn't require every shot to connect, it just requires that every shot that does connect to be a killshot. But with 0.45/3.4 on a medium, I can see how landing ten hits wouldn't be a common thing.

Thanks for confirming my opinion of that junk (no, it doesn't deserve the title "tank" for me). You saved me a great deal of pain and testing in CT. Guess i'll go down the old line as i planned to do from the start.

It's not as bad as it's stats make it look.

I decided to learn how "play mediums" by doing the A-43 -> A-44 -> Obj 416 line.

As you can see from my current stats I ain't much good yet was able to get a 66% wr with 45% survival while pretty much exclusively solo pubbing. (Stat link)

Looking back at it I realised the reason why I was able to do well in this, was I had no idea how to play mediums and basically played it as an unarmoured heavy that could brawl once the field had cleared a little.

My ideal spot was to sit behind a building, kick my rear out the right hand side enough so that I could take shots while trying to hide the cake tin cupola. That way I could protect my engine and let the decent'ish side armour take the hits.

Early game the 107mm had enough pen that I was happy hanging back as support putting holes through front armour and letting the game develop. Mid/late game i'd try relocate often to get those one on ones where I could being the speed and agility into play. The high pen meaning that as long as my opponent filled the reticle I could hurt him.

All in All I found the A44 a fun tank and a good introduction to the Obj416 which if anything has a better gun and much much worse armour.

I am getting better results forgoing rammer and going GLD, vents, optics. Now that I have the 107mm I am not hating this tank as much... 

607g.jpg

Dat WINRATE!  :tongue:

PS: Got tired of the baddie tier 5 guns, free XPed to 107mm after 10 games.

Strange,

I couldn't stand the A43 but have been enjoying the A44.  I guess I have to fulfill the contractual "no matter how bad the tank there is somebody that likes it" position.

***of course, it never fails, after posting this I take the tank out and suffer two losses in a row in the most irritating fashion, must learn to keep virtual mouth shut

So I love this tank...

Like I'm considering keeping it just so I can have a 7.

I've found if you use your pinkie to drive and use your remaining fingers to man 456 it is much more enjoyable.

I recommend you get the top gun first. The M-63 or 64 is actually lighter than the D10T gun by 200 kg, if you swap the stock radio with the second radio, you will have just enough weight left to mount gun rammer and vertical stabilizer and put on the second turret(same weight as stock turret).  You will have to leave the third equipment slot open as you don't have any weight limit yet.

What to do when you get the 416:

1. Swap stock radio for second radio(don't put on the last radio as its very heavy)

2. Get the top gun

3. Mount gun rammer and vertical stabilizer (you will have exactly zero kg left so you can't use the third equipment slot)

4. Get second turret for boosted ROF and better armor

5. Get the upgraded tracks

6. Put whatever you want in the third equipment slot.(camo net, binocs, optics, vents are ideal choices)

7. Finally get the top radio.