KarateF22

FV304: Wow, Wargaming did not learn their lesson from the SU-26

Some 45%er soloed me from 900 HPs in my Panther/M10 the other night with this damn piece of OP cheese when I was carrying half the map. I had already expended my repair kit and his ROF was fast enough to keep me perma tracked for 5 blind fired shots. Ridiculous. If our one other good player hadn't pulled off Thermopyle mode and won that round I would have flown to mother russia or whatever and beat SerB with a chair.

Wow this tank has me laughing so hard

Scout gets through and thinks he's going arty hunting. Then he becomes the hunted.

Coming up behind and one shot derping those pesky tier 4 scouts has become my favorite thing to do.

And ya, Arctic region... There is no safe place face hugging that cliff. Just unfair.

Unlocked this yesterday - it's the most fun I've had in a while.

"FV?  wtf you doing there"

*silence*

"omg - our arty is a bot"
*boom*

Then in late game go into ELC mode, scouting, ducking, diving and running around corner at 50km/h to deliver point blank pain before scooting off again.

Okay, so FV304s are a big deal right now if you're in the T5-7 bracket range. They are getting on my nerves, so please help.

It seems like the only defense against them is to find the biggest rock you can and try to exert presence from there. Can't? Then play a game of RNG where the dice are weighted against you, because these accurate high rof lasers are going to be dropping shells on your engine deck the entire time. You can't even be sure where they are, because they can reposition incredibly well. What further compounds the problem is that blues and purples are attracted to this thing like flies on meat, meaning all the typical anti-shitlord tactics aren't as viable.

So really, how do you fight these things?

Move.

Their biggest advantage is also their biggest weakness. High arch + low velocity shell = the longest shell travel time on tier.

It takes 2, maybe even 3, seconds on average for these boys to land a shell somewhere. If you think you are watched by an FV a good tactic is to move, then stop for 1-2 seconds, then move again. And you will very often see shells landing just where you were a moment ago. :)

Move.

Their biggest advantage is also their biggest weakness. High arch + low velocity shell = the longest shell travel time on tier.

It takes 2, maybe even 3, seconds on average for these boys to land a shell somewhere. If you think you are watched by an FV a good tactic is to move, then stop for 1-2 seconds, then move again. And you will very often see shells landing just where you were a moment ago. :)

^

Move, stop, move again, stop, move.  But never cross the same path you were in.  So not just back and forth and predictable, left and right.  The shell travel time is a killer and after missing a few shots due to moving tanks the FV player will either:

A) get bored of trying to hit you and move on to another target

B) become frustrated at missing and start rushing shots and missing more

c) become tunnel locked on you and peck your engine deck to death.

The other thing to remember is that this is not a typical arty and due to his short range that if he's hitting you, he is somewhere in your draw range as well.  Either behind a hill, hiding in a bush, if you've got someone on your team that you can trust or rely on arty/scout wise, you can triangulate where the hit marker came from, judge that with your view range, and kind of triangulate a position on where he will most likely be.  This way you can have the arty keep an eye on an area or try to get a scout there. 

While many FV's are sneaky buggers, the majority of them are complacent.  They rely on the short range and being out of the "normal arty areas" as their cover.  So, where you've got a normal arty player who moves after each shot and becomes a pain to counter battery, a typical FV player will find a good spot, sit and just spam shells like no tomorrow because "lol range, no one will look for me here".  Couple that with the fast fire rate and an observant friendly arty and you'll have a chance to take him out early on.  Or even if you just send a shell or two his way that he's not expecting it might rattle the confidence, make them second guess a shot or spend time moving around a little and not getting to utilize the full effect of the short reload time. 

I love my FV!  The key to neutralize them is, as people have said, to move--we love it when you try to hide behind a rock.  If you're the only one lit you better be dancing away because shots will be raining down on you the whole time!   If many people are lit up we'll quit wasting time on you and target one of your static (or at least slower) teammates.

Also, we like wars of attrition and camping.    Gives us lots of time to hit stationary targets and whittle the enemy down with our little popguns!   We detest wolfpacks that are always on the move because we can't do squat against them, or constantly-moving pushes by tough tier 8 heavies.  It might take over ten minutes of non-stop 100% hit rate fire to solo a KV-4 so a pack of them advancing is essentially immune from an FV304. 

TL, DR:   Move

BTW, I never move between shots.   Aim time is so long relative to the reload time that you can't really afford to and virtually nobody ever CBs an FV304 anyway.  Plus there would be more risk of being spotted since I'm often just sitting in a small depression or behind a house or something else small.

Buggery balls on a bloody bollock goddamn arty git in this hellmobile clicked me out of existence, then proceeded to click a bunch of friendly muppets out of existence because of his reload time.

The FV304 is the most OP thing in this game by far right now.

The FV304 is the most OP thing in this game by far right now.

Unless it is driven by a 43%er who sits in the back corner of the map all game and complains that enemy tanks are out of range...

Unless it is driven by a 43%er who sits in the back corner of the map all game and complains that enemy tanks are out of range...

Yeah, but to be honest, a player has to be absolutely awful to fail in the thing. Run of the mill below-average players still perform way above par in it. The last time I saw somebody fail utterly in the 304 was a 45%er who rushed up the hill on Malinovka and died before the rest of us could even get there.

Well I disagree here completey, ref my comments in the most boring tanks thread yesterday. I'm not great at tanks, but actually i'm really quite good. I find your comments a bit insulting really. I've tried hard in this tank, nearly have 100 games in it, a kill per game, but the thing never does any freaking damage! what's the point in doing 13 hits for 380 damage. It's fun... occasionally, but in at least 2/3 of the games it's just a failing to catch up with the metagame and hoping to get an arty kill in at the end. It does excel at end game sweeping up though, either tanks or arty, and that is a massive plus point, cannot be denied. I perform at 1200 WN8 in it. I sold mine yesterday re-bought my crusader and had 10 games at 3000 WN8. don't tell me the 304 is easy to play, it's not, it's a skill tester.

Well I disagree here completey, ref my comments in the most boring tanks thread yesterday. I'm not great at tanks, but actually i'm really quite good. I find your comments a bit insulting really. I've tried hard in this tank, nearly have 100 games in it, a kill per game, but the thing never does any freaking damage! what's the point in doing 13 hits for 380 damage. It's fun... occasionally, but in at least 2/3 of the games it's just a failing to catch up with the metagame and hoping to get an arty kill in at the end. It does excel at end game sweeping up though, either tanks or arty, and that is a massive plus point, cannot be denied. I perform at 1200 WN8 in it. I sold mine yesterday re-bought my crusader and had 10 games at 3000 WN8. don't tell me the 304 is easy to play, it's not, it's a skill tester.

No. Just no.

This tank is easy to play, incredibly easy. the things a normal arty player has to worry about you can almost ignore with this thing, it's insane arc and accuracy lets you rain death on just about anywhere on a map. Your short range is both a blessing and a curse, you can't hit as far, but at the same time, it is completely impossible to predict where one of these hides until it hits something, and when it does, it'll hit it again 10 seconds later. This arty piece makes regular arty cover obsolete, The only thing it cant shoot behind is tall buildings, which very few maps have.

But to be honest, all arty is easy to play, this one much more so though.

I challenge anyone to get better WN rating in an FV304 than they can in a KV1-S, T34-85, Hellcat. This thing isnt OP... It's different, but it takes skill and effort and concentration - a lot of game reading to achieve in it. Pound for pound, effort for effort, it's no more than average. If the best I can do when trying hard, is achieve pretty much 1000 WN8 less than i can in against my 1k stats then it's only going to lead to me selling it, which is what I did. 

I challenge anyone to get better WN rating in an FV304 than they can in a KV1-S, T34-85, Hellcat. This thing isnt OP... It's different, but it takes skill and effort and concentration - a lot of game reading to achieve in it. Pound for pound, effort for effort, it's no more than average. If the best I can do when trying hard, is achieve pretty much 1000 WN8 less than i can in against my 1k stats then it's only going to lead to me selling it, which is what I did. 

Ok.  I'm buying mine this weekend.  I'll take it up. 

Honestly it won't be hard.  My Bishop has a 1400 wn8 and probably 20% of my 49 games are near 0 WN8 because I get zerg rushed or my team fast caps on a large map.  Both things that won't happen with the FV.  On top of that the 304 will get more HPs to farm.   My top game in the Bishop was a 5k wn8 game on El Halluf but I had about 10 games over 4k.  The FV304 has the exact same gamplay but will see fewer T3 suicide scouts, be able to reposition when it's location is about to get overrun, and will have more HP to farm from the T7s. 

My Hellcat 30 day is around 1800. 

http://www.vbaddict.net/progress/slygambit-na-3ca2a5110d685de69417a1b44e5582b7/usa-2/m18-hellcat-45

My KV1S is a little closer to 1900.

http://www.vbaddict.net/progress/slygambit-na-3ca2a5110d685de69417a1b44e5582b7/soviet-union-0/kv-1s-11

I bet it beats both.

My SU100 (2700 wn8 60 day), Nashorn (2300 wn8 60day) and E8 (2400 wn8 60day) are arguably better for Wn8 but crews from my Nashorn and SU100 have been or will move shortly (fuck the Emil btw) so I can't use it and the E8 and an amazing fit to my gameplay so it wouldn't be fare to compare.  If it gets anywhere near then E8 then they should just ban it outright. :)

This tank is hilarious to play.  Yeah, it does low damage, but keeping  a tank perma tracked while your compatriots destroy it is fun.  Plus you can look at critical hits as two things, one, no damage-no good, or that you have killed a crew member or disabled an engine or ammo rack and just made that enemy tank 50% less effective than it should be.  I love looking over my stats and seeing that I damaged an engine, killed a loader and damaged and destroyed a track.  Fun fun fun.

I call it the Fer-arty.  Ferrari-arty.  Friend and I were platooning in our the the other day, we came on some guy and each hit him twice to destroy him.  He had gone to hide behind a pile of dirt and rocks and we just hit him 4 times in a row.  He then "reported us for using hacks".  We LOLed our asses off as we went on to ruin somebody else's day.  

PS, I hate those damn things when opposing them, not often do they do 300-400 damage, but they can, but last night I got hit 6 times by one.   Damn thing.  God I hope they don't nerf it.  The grind to it is hard in the slow tanks before, and it's damage is low, so it has it's own issues to get there, don't destroy what we have worked hard to get to.

Very interested to see how you fare rkel76 :)

Bought it. It's elited minus the top radio. 90% crew with no skills. Pudding, rammer, vents, gld (first tank I'm running premium consumable as a standard). Might run octane too if that's an option.

First run:

R4XOzsH.jpg

Got a lotta faith in this one. ;)

Interesting, although 2 of these are from the Bishop. So 2 runs isnt much of a sample. Looking forward to see how you do with a larger sample, like 50 games. Good luck!

Interesting, although 2 of these are from the Bishop. So 2 runs isnt much of a sample. Looking forward to see how you do with a larger sample, like 50 games. Good luck!

Just left the last 2 Bishop for comps.  A little surprised how much more expected damage I'm supposed to get with the 304 but I think the lack of 0 dmg games and the bigger HP pool to farm will offset the lower ceiling.  Also this is purely looking at WN rate.  304 might be better than any other arty at finishing games but it's still arty and I don't expect to platoon much with it so it'll be tough for me to pull more than 55%.   That loss on Artic involved me dealing with a good RELIC player in his japanese T5 (Chiwhatever) that kept me from getting back to cap where two reds capped.  I still spotted them and fired a shot that hit just after the 100% mark.  But in a real carry tank I can usually prevent caps.

I'll post up at 50.  Just planning on staying even on credits running this so any other premium consumables will probably drive me into the red. 

The only things the FV304 have going for it is a kind of decent gun along with its speed.  Otherwise, it's a POS.  It has no armor, very little in the way of hit points (the Bishop has more), view range is terrible, and the alpha damage is a joke for an arty.  It's a one-shot kill that normally operates from inside the view range and well within the gun range of almost every vehicle that it meets on the battlefield.

For years, tankers have been crying for the reduction of arties' alpha and range.  Well...  You got what you asked for.  Only to balance the FV304, WG had to give it something after stripping away the range and alpha when they put it together.  The biggest problem that tankers have with the FV304 is that it is different from anything that they've had to contend with before now.  All you have to do is find a  tactical solution to defeating the thing.

It's grossly overpowered. The range issue is moot. While other arties get to hit tanks from all the way across the map, the 304 can "only" hit tanks from halfway across the map. Big deal.

The alpha is not awful either. So what if you can't one-shot everything? You're perfectly capable of permatracking any tank you see, and will often pen for 500 or so damage. It's death to any slow tank it sees, and even some not so slow tanks if they do anything so foolish as, you know, stop to shoot.

The only things the FV304 have going for it is a kind of decent gun along with its speed.  Otherwise, it's a POS.  It has no armor, very little in the way of hit points (the Bishop has more), view range is terrible, and the alpha damage is a joke for an arty.  It's a one-shot kill that normally operates from inside the view range and well within the gun range of almost every vehicle that it meets on the battlefield.

What? No armor? Low HP, low view range? How in the hell are those bad things for arty. The alpha damage is not that bad, since you'll pen a lot more than any other t6 arty.

What? No armor? Low HP, low view range? How in the hell are those bad things for arty. The alpha damage is not that bad, since you'll pen a lot more than any other t6 arty.

It's rare that you pen any tank for the FV304's average 450 hp damage.  Penetrating shots are normally in the 250 hp range for damage.  [squishy targets like scouts along with open turret and open top TD's are the exceptions.]   Anyone who's played the FV304 has heard "Critical hit!"  for zero damage more times than they care to hear.