KarateF22

FV304: Wow, Wargaming did not learn their lesson from the SU-26

I'm talking about literal shell penetration. Arty has a pen value, in the FV304's case its 57mm. For most arty, penning is a rare thing that makes a smile creep across your face. This is due to not getting to shoot many times, being fairly inaccurate when you do, and shallow arcs usually hitting side/front/tracks, where penning is fairly rare. The whole point of the British arty line is that even though they have weak cannons, they have great shell arcs. This means that shots will not only clear obstacles, but hit roof armor more often and at better angles. Roof armor, as you surely know, is often extremely weak at 10-30mm. Because the FV304 has good acc and a fast rof, you can make these pens happen with alarming regularity if you aim for engine decks.

That's what makes the FV304 so powerful. It will find ways to hurt you, even if the splash damage is only negligible.

I'm talking about literal shell penetration. Arty has a pen value, in the FV304's case its 57mm. For most arty, penning is a rare thing that makes a smile creep across your face. This is due to not getting to shoot many times, being fairly inaccurate when you do, and shallow arcs usually hitting side/front/tracks, where penning is fairly rare. The whole point of the British arty line is that even though they have weak cannons, they have great shell arcs. This means that shots will not only clear obstacles, but hit roof armor more often and at better angles. Roof armor, as you surely know, is often extremely weak at 10-30mm. Because the FV304 has good acc and a fast rof, you can make these pens happen with alarming regularity if you aim for engine decks.

That's what makes the FV304 so powerful. It will find ways to hurt you, even if the splash damage is only negligible.

I know about how rare it is to hit a target with "traditional WoT" artillery these days.  I used to have ever German SPG from the Wespe up to and including the GW Panther sitting in my garage.  After the 8.6 patch, I rage sold all of them.  It took some time before I went back to playing any artillery pieces.  I've tried the American and Soviet SPG lines, but I didn't like the feel of them.  I transitioned from the Valentine to the Bishop.  It was a pleasant grind to the FV304.

I digress...  The Q.F. 4.5" Howitzer is a great for gun for the Bishop.  For the FV304, it's a mixed bag of nuts.  It has its limitations in tier 8 battles [which you see a lot of].  In some tier 8 matches, I've received more XP from tracking vehicles than for the amount of damage I've inflicted on the opfor.  The Q.F. 4.5" Howitzer as the stock gun on the Crusader SP is a nightmare.

As for my preferred point of aim when playing the FV304, I tend to shoot at the engine deck.  I've set more than a few engines on fire while driving my FV304.

I like playing the FV304.  This mainly due to not having sit in the back of the map waiting from some scout to come rape you.  I enjoy moving with a flank and not depending on a scout to spot a target.  If you're moving with the MT's and HT's, they are going to find someone.

Yup ... if you've ever been permatracked by one you'd understand ... it's like the Chinese Death of 1000 cuts and infuriating.

It's why I won't play an arty.  You can be having the game of your life and some clicker gets a lucky shot and disco inferno ... it ruins the game for me.

I like playing the FV304.  This mainly due to not having sit in the back of the map waiting from some scout to come rape you.  I enjoy moving with a flank and not depending on a scout to spot a target.  If you're moving with the MT's and HT's, they are going to find someone.

Wait hell, you're faster than the scouts ... go rape them!

Yup ... if you've ever been permatracked by one you'd understand ... it's like the Chinese Death of 1000 cuts and infuriating.

It's why I won't play an arty.  You can be having the game of your life and some clicker gets a lucky shot and disco inferno ... it ruins the game for me.

If a Bishop or FV304 tracks you, chances are that wasn't luck.  They are the least affected by RNG of any SPG that you can play.  You can actually aim for and, with a good amount of certainty, hit a specific part of a tank with those two arties.

I  have already.  If you don't think it's possible, you'll have to try it for yourself.  Shouldn't be too long before the test server is running the 9.0 patch.

I  have already.  If you don't think it's possible, you'll have to try it for yourself.  Shouldn't be too long before the test server is running the 9.0 patch.

I agree with you to an extent. It partially depends on the tank orientation to your shell flight path. It's much easier to aim at the engine deck and hit it compared to low trajectory arty. However, I've found that if I'm aiming at the engine deck my shell often hits the sides of the tank or the turret. I especially notice this on the American tanks because they have pretty large turrets and the turrets tend to cover part of the engine deck. Also the shell flight time on the FV304 is longer than on a lower trajectory arty, so you need to lead tanks more, and hope they stay in the same spot long enough for your shell to hit where you aim.

If a Bishop or FV304 tracks you, chances are that wasn't luck. They are the least affected by RNG of any SPG that you can play. You can actually aim for and, with a good amount of certainty, hit a specific part of a tank with those two arties.

And by that same token, they have no problem aiming precisely for engine decks and penning my SP for 500 goddamn points damage.

I agree with you to an extent. It partially depends on the tank orientation to your shell flight path. It's much easier to aim at the engine deck and hit it compared to low trajectory arty. However, I've found that if I'm aiming at the engine deck my shell often hits the sides of the tank or the turret. I especially notice this on the American tanks because they have pretty large turrets and the turrets tend to cover part of the engine deck. Also the shell flight time on the FV304 is longer than on a lower trajectory arty, so you need to lead tanks more, and hope they stay in the same spot long enough for your shell to hit where you aim.

I can watch a round land on the back deck or turret , and I will hear, "Critical hit!!!"  With my crew running rammer, vents, and gld along with BIA, I can usually track a tank and hit them again before their repair is complete.

And by that same token, they have no problem aiming precisely for engine decks and penning my SP for 500 goddamn points damage.

The most one-shot damage that I've achieved with the FV304 was on a Soviet TD.  I hit them in the side for 670 hit points.  It surprised me.  I rarely see 450 hit points of damage.  The usual amount is around 250 hit points.  On tier 8 heavies, it can be in the low double digits.

about 4:37 in.  I don't permatrack the T-150 but he's definitely not getting very far lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bOKkNuJj4

Nicely played .  I liked the way you dispatched the opfor FV304.  I get a lot of, "WTF!!!" from opfor arty drivers when they realize another arty is hunting them.  *LOL*

I challenge anyone to get better WN rating in an FV304 than they can in a KV1-S, T34-85, Hellcat. This thing isnt OP... It's different, but it takes skill and effort and concentration - a lot of game reading to achieve in it. Pound for pound, effort for effort, it's no more than average. If the best I can do when trying hard, is achieve pretty much 1000 WN8 less than i can in against my 1k stats then it's only going to lead to me selling it, which is what I did. 

Quick update:

FV304: 28 games / 2155 Wn8 / 53% win rate

KV-1S: 33 games(60day) / 1761 Wn8 / 61% win rate 

Hellcat: 29 games (30 day) / 1711 Wn8 / 69% win rate

I'll probably stop there.  I don't play my 1S or Hellcat enough to get a good 50 game sample (which is I was going for in the 304).  Highlight mastery game with the 304 where I and a random yellow M41 go toe-to-toe with two CHAII in their 304s.  Boring early, fun late.

http://www.wotreplays.org/replay/532530c59c81a57e6a010000

As you can see I tend to be able to win more with the two notable T6 carry tanks but statistically the 304 is much better.  It's just too easy to get in a position where you can rack up 1k+ damage with little or no risk to your tank. 

I believe I only platooned twice with this.  Same night with two other greens.  Only one of those did I gain an edge from platooning where our KV2 parked himself on the island on a T8 match on Komarin and kept a couple tanks lit while I reckt 'em. 

Very nice work, I'm impressed. I guess that blew my challenge out of the water then. LOL :) As for where that leaves my opinions on the FV304... well, I feel some day I will need to retry it again, some day ;) But also, the first way to improve is acceptance of suckage. You've at least helped me confirm that! Ha!

Unless it is driven by a 43%er who sits in the back corner of the map all game and complains that enemy tanks are out of range...

What the fuck am I doing wrong then? After 100+ games I've still not aced it. Sure, I haven't got even a 1st skill crew but imagine that such stuff shoudln't matter on a super mobile spg. How do you guys play it? Atm I try to be very mobile and hit stuff from all angles. Out of range is not an issue but perhaps I'm not close enough to hit stuff face on? I just never see to get a great game in it... I imagine myself to be aware of how to aim in arties and also how to figure out where to go in meta and how to shoot in front of moving vehicles, aim at flat engine areas at back of tanks etc. What's up with me failing?

What the fuck am I doing wrong then? After 100+ games I've still not aced it. Sure, I haven't got even a 1st skill crew but imagine that such stuff shoudln't matter on a super mobile spg. How do you guys play it? Atm I try to be very mobile and hit stuff from all angles. Out of range is not an issue but perhaps I'm not close enough to hit stuff face on? I just never see to get a great game in it... I imagine myself to be aware of how to aim in arties and also how to figure out where to go in meta and how to shoot in front of moving vehicles, aim at flat engine areas at back of tanks etc. What's up with me failing?

When you are nearest to the edge of the FV304's range, you will have the greatest amount of arc.  i.e.  The round will be impact the target at almost the vertical.  This gives you the best chance to penetrate the engine decks and turret tops.  Make sure the aiming circle is a circle and not a perpendicular elliptical to your line of fire when attemtpting to hit a target at max range.  Concentrate your efforts/fire in areas which are choke points and/or narrow avenues of approach.  If you want more information, go here:  http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/307895-bishop-and-fv304-tips/page__fromsearch__1

What possessed them to put something as fucking disgracefully broken as this thing into the game. You hide behind a hill or building and some fucker in a 304 goes LOL NO BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM TRACKED TRACKED CREW DEAD TRACKED GUN DAMAGED BOOM DEAD. Fuck I hate these bullshit things.

What possessed them to put something as fucking disgracefully broken as this thing into the game. You hide behind a hill or building and some fucker in a 304 goes LOL NO BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM TRACKED TRACKED CREW DEAD TRACKED GUN DAMAGED BOOM DEAD. Fuck I hate these bullshit things.

When you think about it, playing a FV304 is like playing a short ranged, speedy td that's near-sighted and which lobs mortar rounds.  Though, the FV304 is usually within his target's draw range and gun range.

BTW (somewhat off topic) - You do realize, with HAVOC, that HE shells will have the capability of blowing up a building that you are using for cover.  It won't work on every building, but it will happen to the more fragile ones.  So high arc may not be such a great worry as much as someone with a large caliber gun who is willing to fire an HE round to destroy your hiding spot and leave you in the open.

Or alternatively, it's like playing a td with a derp cannon able to fire at a high ROF from behind cover, without LoS and able to bypass the armour of the majority of tanks it engages. So not really like a TD at all since it ignores almost every limitation that TDs have...

Considering that amount of players complaining about the over use of premium rounds, it seems like many of the various types of vehicles are bypassing the armor of tanks.

This thing is so obnoxious. Such easy mode clickery. You just can't hide from the fucking thing and it keeps you permanently tracked while slowly smashing your modules and killing your crew. The only way to avoid it is to shuffle, but all it takes is two lucky splashes and that's it. GG. Fuck, who thought this asshole tank was a good idea?

Splash someone with a round from a FV304.  That only happens once in a blue moon.  With the FV304, it's either hit your intended victim or pretty much of nothing.

I've unlocked id yesterday.

1880 dmg in a T8 game is not enough for "Ace". Another "the bar is set hight" case