BeLiAL124

Gun's and AMMO discussion and eye Candy

I despise gun shops because it seems to bring out the stupid in all the uninformed customers and employees. Last year had a gun store employee here in Florida try to tell my wife that she couldn't carry into a bank or credit union. (My wife has her Florida license) I asked him where he got that idea and asked him to cite the statute.

Gun store employees and pubbies are actually a lot alike....

Discussing carry laws with gun store employees is an invitation for a face-palmin'. Some of the shit people believe about the law is pretty ridiculous.

I wish my hands were big enough for me to comfortably use a 1911. :(

If a 5'2 woman with tiny hands like myself can handle a 1911, and carry it for several years... I'm sure you could manage with a little bit of practice.  :thumbup:

Granted, these days I don't carry one anymore. Love my Glock 20.

If a 5'2 woman with tiny hands like myself can handle a 1911, and carry it for several years... I'm sure you could manage with a little bit of practice.  :thumbup:

My right thumb is about a half inch shorter than my left thumb. I literally cannot reach the slide release at all with my thumb no matter how I try to hold the pistol.

Discussing carry laws with gun store employees is an invitation for a face-palmin'. Some of the shit people believe about the law is pretty ridiculous.

Well in Virginia there's like nothing lol.  No registration, nada.  Just background.

I'm 5'10.  I think I'll be fine.

There was a employee at Cabela's once that kept trying to sell me a .22 mag because "unlike a .22lr you can use both .22lr and .22 mags in a .22 mag".

Their employees incompetence is literally going to kill someone someday. 

There was a employee at Cabela's once that kept trying to sell me a .22 mag because "unlike a .22lr you can use both .22lr and .22 mags in a .22 mag".

Their employees incompetence is literally going to kill someone someday. 

"Sure, you can shoot 20 gauge shells out of a 12 gauge! Just try to keep it level when you're a-shootin'."

My right thumb is about a half inch shorter than my left thumb. I literally cannot reach the slide release at all with my thumb no matter how I try to hold the pistol.

When do you need slide release though other than when cleaning a 1911 or perhaps during dry fire exercises?  When inserting new magazine, pop out old mag, insert new mag, rack slide with non-trigger hand.  No need to fumble for slide release.  I can't reach the slide release either, and honestly never use it.  And I wouldn't use it even if I could reach it.  

Using the slide is the most reliable method and if you break down the motions you go through as you insert a new magazine it's a natural flow of the process as you return to firing position.  Additionally if you train yourself to use the slide release, what happens if one of your arms or hands becomes disabled in a DGU?  You can still wrack the slide by using the edge of some stationary object and catching it on your rear sight.  You probably aren't going to be able to advance the slide with the release in that scenario.

"Sure, you can shoot 20 gauge shells out of a 12 gauge! Just try to keep it level when you're a-shootin'."

He told me the most that will happen is "a little case deformation". 

The dumb was killing me. 

Yeah,  I think you're right Dlur.  Most people say even the less expensive 1911's are really enjoyable. 

I think I'll go with this one http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=ATIGFX45MILNB&index=0&mfg=All&mdl=1911&cat=1&type=Semi-Automatic+Pistol&cal=All&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=

If my wife says it's okay.

All I'll say is "try before you buy", and "don't overlook revolvers".

I considered a revolver, and I've tried more expensive 1911's back when I was training.  Revolvers are nice?  But not really that great if I needed to use it for home defense, in my opinion.  So, it'll serve a multi purpose role. I'll bop around some of the gun stores and see what they have.

When do you need slide release though other than when cleaning a 1911 or perhaps during dry fire exercises?  When inserting new magazine, pop out old mag, insert new mag, rack slide with non-trigger hand.  No need to fumble for slide release.  I can't reach the slide release either, and honestly never use it.  And I wouldn't use it even if I could reach it.  

Using the slide is the most reliable method and if you break down the motions you go through as you insert a new magazine it's a natural flow of the process as you return to firing position.  Additionally if you train yourself to use the slide release, what happens if one of your arms or hands becomes disabled in a DGU?  You can still wrack the slide by using the edge of some stationary object and catching it on your rear sight.  You probably aren't going to be able to advance the slide with the release in that scenario.

Slide release lever is also used to lock the slide back, no?

The way I learned to lock the slide back for dis-assembly was to hold grip in right hand, point towards the left, push slide back with left hand and lock the slide with my thumb. Can't reach it for that either.

*edit* Just to clarify, on my pistols, the only 2 things I use the slide release/slide lock for are to lock the slide back for either dis-assembly or safing the weapon to hand it to someone else.

Looks good to me Bun.  If you find the grips are too wide for your comfort there are slim grips available.  

Saved!  Thank you Dlur, I appreciate everyones advice.  I'll take my time and see if anyone has one in stock I can fiddle with.  Also, wife must say yes XD

We need to get her Sig p226 shipped here from the gun prison that is CA.

Yeah, can't recommend enough holding it in your hand at the very least before making a purchase.  Shooting it, or something very similar would be ideal.  Although it sounds like you shot a 1911 before.  Also, fuck CA.

I considered a revolver, and I've tried more expensive 1911's back when I was training.  Revolvers are nice?  But not really that great if I needed to use it for home defense, in my opinion.  So, it'll serve a multi purpose role. I'll bop around some of the gun stores and see what they have.

Well, if you can pick up one of the Police trade ins L frames (they still exist) you can get two or three pretty cheaply.

That aside I -carry- a WW2 vintage M1911A1, just because I know the thing will work.

Yeah, can't recommend enough holding it in your hand at the very least before making a purchase. Shooting it, or something very similar would be ideal. Although it sounds like you shot a 1911 before. Also, fuck CA.

Yes. Fuck CA for gun ownership. Seriously. But yeah I've handled a 1911 before. Never fired one. But I'd wager it's less kick than my p345. Which was said to have more than some. I dunno. I think you're right. Like most others. Can't go wrong with a 1911. I was looking at the .40 but I like the stopping of a .45. I'd rather go with something tried and true.

I'll keep my options open. I'm still looking at the beretta.

Yes. Fuck CA for gun ownership. Seriously. But yeah I've handled a 1911 before. Never fired one. But I'd wager it's less kick than my p345. Which was said to have more than some. I dunno. I think you're right. Like most others. Can't go wrong with a 1911. I was looking at the .40 but I like the stopping of a .45. I'd rather go with something tried and true.

I'll keep my options open. I'm still looking at the beretta.

They don't kick hard at all.  I have a 9X19 that kicks harder.

What do you guys think. Silver or matte black. I'm also applying for a chp when I can after I take the safety class. I'll probably buy something smaller for carry. I mean. We've had shootings now on base. In the cities. Everywhere. I never thought I'd actually consider this but what are we supposed to do?

Isn't it better to be able to protect ourselves and others? I couldn't lose my wife to some nut. It's been on my mind a lot. Do any of you have chp's?

What do you guys think. Silver or matte black. I'm also applying for a chp when I can after I take the safety class. I'll probably buy something smaller for carry. I mean. We've had shootings now on base. In the cities. Everywhere. I never thought I'd actually consider this but what are we supposed to do?

Isn't it better to be able to protect ourselves and others? I couldn't lose my wife to some nut. It's been on my mind a lot. Do any of you have chp's?

I live in Arizona.

What is this "CHP" you speak of? All you need here to conceal is a pocket large enough for your chosen noisemaker.

(Yes we used to have them, and you can still get one if you want to, but they are not required in state for CC)

I live in Arizona.

What is this "CHP" you speak of? All you need here to conceal is a pocket large enough for your chosen noisemaker.

(Yes we used to have them, and you can still get one if you want to, but they are not required in state for CC)

Concealed Handgun Permit.  VA requires one but, really all you need is the class on handgun proficiency and safety done then file the application with the circuit court clerk and pay 10 bucks.  That's it.  I don't disagree with the class.  It can't hurt, especially someone like me who has very little handgun experience.  I went through the extensive training CA requires for armed security but that was years ago.

Unlike in CA where you had to ask your local sheriff and the answer was usually always "no".  Considering if you didn't have a reason to fear for your life on a regular basis, you pretty much get a "no."  Honestly I stick by my idea, the more law abiding stable citizens you have who are properly trained to handle firearms?  The better off the community is. 

sound like he heard about how Shotgun with chamber that hold 3 inch shell can use 2 1/2, 2 2/3, and 2 3/4 inch shell. (as long as it is same gauge, though)

anyway it is dumb really

in Canada, I told that you need to have PAL to work with guns in Cabelas, other retails store.

(if you only apply to work in fishing, or clothing in Cabelas and so, no PAL is required.)

Concealed Handgun Permit.  VA requires one but, really all you need is the class on handgun proficiency and safety done then file the application with the circuit court clerk and pay 10 bucks.  That's it.  I don't disagree with the class.  It can't hurt, especially someone like me who has very little handgun experience.  I went through the extensive training CA requires for armed security but that was years ago.

Unlike in CA where you had to ask your local sheriff and the answer was usually always "no".  Considering if you didn't have a reason to fear for your life on a regular basis, you pretty much get a "no."  Honestly I stick by my idea, the more law abiding stable citizens you have who are properly trained to handle firearms?  The better off the community is. 

Hunter Safety was mandatory when I was a kid. You had to get a waiver signed by your parents to opt out. They did cover handguns to a point..

This stuff used to be part of school, like mandatory home-ec and shop.