bjshnog

Name and Shame Thread, (ArrogantWorms sucks at technical stuffz)

How about politeness?

Nowhere did I say "winning is luck" or "stats don't mean anything".

Here is the patent:

https://encrypted.google.com/patents/US8425330

So, which one of the patented and mutually exclusive MMs that all have extremely visible effects is in place?

Seriously, you are welcome to conduct a sensible discussion with actual arguments. Even if that patent only gave only one of those MM systems, all of those systems have clear, noticeable and measurable effects that we are currently not seeing at all.

If you are here to expose stupidity, you will be responded in kind.

I don't think so. Did you know they have a patent on their MM algorithm? I read it and it stacks odds.

I know people shame themselves here for shit performance in game but this...?

I wrote a rant about it and deleted it but I still want my helicopter and spacecraft from that patent... you know, since only mentioning the part *you* believe in is cool.

Jesus Christ anytime somebody has a MM argument around here they get reamed immediately rather than educated. Very touchy subject here.

This is the blurb in the patent that he was talking about.

"According to another aspect, the matchmaking server may store a win/loss percentage for each user (or vehicle) at a given battle level. As the player's win/loss ratio decreases, the player becomes more likely to be placed in battles having battle levels at the lower end of the allowable range, whereas as the player's win/loss ration increases, the player becomes more likely to be placed in battles having battle levels at the upper end of the allowable range. Thus, when a player has been repeatedly put into too many difficult battles, the balancing is done in favor of easier battle sessions, thereby encouraging the player by providing an easier game environment. Similarly, when the player has been repeatedly put into too many easy battles, the balancing is done in favor of harder battle sessions, thereby keeping the player challenged instead of letting the player become bored with easy games."

Jesus Christ anytime somebody has a MM argument around here they get reamed immediately rather than educated. Very touchy subject here.

This is the blurb in the patent that he was talking about.

"According to another aspect, the matchmaking server may store a win/loss percentage for each user (or vehicle) at a given battle level. As the player's win/loss ratio decreases, the player becomes more likely to be placed in battles having battle levels at the lower end of the allowable range, whereas as the player's win/loss ration increases, the player becomes more likely to be placed in battles having battle levels at the upper end of the allowable range. Thus, when a player has been repeatedly put into too many difficult battles, the balancing is done in favor of easier battle sessions, thereby encouraging the player by providing an easier game environment. Similarly, when the player has been repeatedly put into too many easy battles, the balancing is done in favor of harder battle sessions, thereby keeping the player challenged instead of letting the player become bored with easy games."

Which is easy to counter by simply checking how much you end up in which battle tier you end up.

It also only works one way, since good players that end up in the highest battle tier more often will indeed lose more, but bad players ending up in the lowest battle tier more often (= are top tier more often) will.... lose more, as they are the one that have to carry.

The weird thing about MM arguments here is that the contributors here actually think they know what WG is doing with their MM. When they actually have no fucking clue. 

WG could have code that if your mother maiden name is winklestein then you will get bottom tier every match. If your name is Garbad you must have shitlords on your team.

We just don't know and WG will never tell us.

So how about we just don't talk about it at all. The mods should just blacklist MM/Matchmaking and any other word that has anything to do with a discussion about said topic.

In fact autoban anyone who posts anything about MM for a day. We should all get the idea eventually.

The weird thing about MM arguments here is that the contributors here actually think they know what WG is doing with their MM. When they actually have no fucking clue. 

WG could have code that if your mother maiden name is winklestein then you will get bottom tier every match. If your name is Garbad you must have shitlords on your team.

So how about we just don't talk about it at all. The mods should just blacklist MM/Matchmaking and any other word that has anything to do with a discussion about said topic.

In fact autoban anyone who posts anything about MM for a day. We should all get the idea eventually.

We may know nothing about the code, but everyone that has eyes knows everything about the result.

Just look at your own examples, all that is perfectly checkable.

For someone that comes off sounding so pompous you sure are misinformed.

I was playing tier 9 last night, my type 61. I had a 100% W/R after 12 battles in it. by the logic of that patent, if It was actually active I should of started seeing constant tier 10 games. yet I didn't. I was actually top tier more often than not. in the end, in 19 games, we has lost 2 of them. yet it was still probably under 50% of my games was I seeing tier 10s.

thats how we have a fucking clue that the patent is not in the game.

Gets mad at me and a IS3 because we "failed" to help him. When he yolos into a Tiger, T20,  and a Comet. We then go on to carry and win the game. After the game ends he pm's me.

JerMur (11:15:03 PM) does tanks and tansk have the same letters
JerMur (11:15:16 PM) i think it does ...so im not a pro gamer typist asshole
JerMur (11:15:17 PM) sue me
_Natsuki (11:15:31 PM) Why you mad bro?
JerMur (11:15:35 PM) you elitist clanner douchebags are ALL the same
JerMur (11:15:39 PM) im in X clan so im good
JerMur (11:15:44 PM) whatever dude
_Natsuki (11:15:51 PM) Not really i just do it for the cookies
_Natsuki (11:16:21 PM) Wanna cookie?
_Natsuki (11:17:37 PM) So im guessing you don't want the cookie?
JerMur (11:18:21 PM) no im good ......off to go find more heavy tank players that think they are actually good
JerMur (11:18:46 PM) its so HARD to have alot of armor and a big gun
JerMur (11:18:53 PM) terribly hard
_Natsuki (11:20:03 PM) Don't see why your butthurt over the fact that "you" not me did 71dmg.
JerMur (11:28:30 PM) ok so tell me since i need to be a better player .....what do you do when you are at a chokepoint and you have 2 tansk with you
JerMur (11:28:44 PM) and 3 enemy tansk advance on you ....so its a 3 vs 3 ......BUT
JerMur (11:29:07 PM) the 2 tansk with you are not paying attention even AFTER you ping the map for them and ask for help so they are facing the other way
JerMur (11:29:25 PM) HAT woudl a great tank do to be 3 tansk alone ....in a light tank with 25 armor ??
JerMur (11:29:33 PM) what could i do ??
_Natsuki (11:32:33 PM) Don't fucking yolo into them.
_Natsuki (11:34:09 PM) Don't even know why i'm wasting my time on you.

TL;DR: bad@tonks = bad@English, Also he doesn't want cookie.  :(

Gets mad at me and a IS3 because we "failed" to help him. When he yolos into a Tiger, T20, and a Comet. We then go on to carry and win the game. After the game ends he pm's me.

JerMur (11:15:03 PM) does tanks and tansk have the same letters

JerMur (11:15:16 PM) i think it does ...so im not a pro gamer typist asshole

JerMur (11:15:17 PM) sue me

_Natsuki (11:15:31 PM) Why you mad bro?

JerMur (11:15:35 PM) you elitist clanner douchebags are ALL the same

JerMur (11:15:39 PM) im in X clan so im good

JerMur (11:15:44 PM) whatever dude

_Natsuki (11:15:51 PM) Not really i just do it for the cookies

_Natsuki (11:16:21 PM) Wanna cookie?

_Natsuki (11:17:37 PM) So im guessing you don't want the cookie?

JerMur (11:18:21 PM) no im good ......off to go find more heavy tank players that think they are actually good

JerMur (11:18:46 PM) its so HARD to have alot of armor and a big gun

JerMur (11:18:53 PM) terribly hard

_Natsuki (11:20:03 PM) Don't see why your butthurt over the fact that "you" not me did 71dmg.

JerMur (11:28:30 PM) ok so tell me since i need to be a better player .....what do you do when you are at a chokepoint and you have 2 tansk with you

JerMur (11:28:44 PM) and 3 enemy tansk advance on you ....so its a 3 vs 3 ......BUT

JerMur (11:29:07 PM) the 2 tansk with you are not paying attention even AFTER you ping the map for them and ask for help so they are facing the other way

JerMur (11:29:25 PM) HAT woudl a great tank do to be 3 tansk alone ....in a light tank with 25 armor ??

JerMur (11:29:33 PM) what could i do ??

_Natsuki (11:32:33 PM) Don't fucking yolo into them.

_Natsuki (11:34:09 PM) Don't even know why i'm wasting my time on you.

TL;DR: bad@tonks = bad@English, Also he doesn't want cookie. :(

Jesus, he was really determined to spell it "tansk" every time, wasn't he?

His username seems really familiar to me, too. Not sure why, but it does.

thats how we have a fucking clue that the patent is not in the game.

Quite the contrary. That's a clue that something is not really random. Or rather would be if it were more than only 12 battles. 12 battles is nothing.

But there are more than a few players who had streaks of below 40% winchance games that lasted weeks or even months. And also the other way around. I am astonished that it does not show up in the data. So you actually checked that? Interesting, thank you for that information.

Quite the contrary. That's a clue that something is not really random. Or rather would be if it were more than only 12 battles. 12 battles is nothing.

But there are more than a few players who had streaks of below 40% winchance games that lasted weeks or even months. And also the other way around. I am astonished that it does not show up in the data. So you actually checked that? Interesting, thank you for that information.

did you read what I posted?

did you read the patent?

the patent was described as if you were winning you would get increasing amount of games as bottom tier. this did not happen to me, 12 games is enough for a single session. you would expect it after maybe 5 games IF it was implemented, but it isn't, so it didn't happen.

Of course I did.

Obviously it was your time for winning, not losing, so you got good teams and were high tier. The more battles you have in total , the longer the streaks last. That is my observation.

12 games is nothing. It often goes on for weeks and months.

You will see, the next streak where you keep getting below 45% winchance games battle after battle after battle will come for sure.

But please note that this is only what I saw in a small dataset, I don't say it is true, it is a suspicion.

The moderators here say they don't see it in the numbers. So probably I am on the wrong train altogether.

Does not really matter anyway. Fact is: the better you play, the better the long time winrate will be. We can only influence our own gameplay, not the code of WoT, so we should focus on what we can do :)

Can you please take your bullshit elsewhere? It got tiring the first time you started spouting it, and it's just as tiresome now.

Actually no, create a thread saying the game is rigged. I dare you. See what happens.

Why would I say something like that? Does not make sense, why would they cheat players? They need to make money after all. They want to provide the best gaming experience possible, after all they even have a psychologist on staff who identifies frustrating gaming experiences and tries to eliminate those.

I really don't understand what pisses you all off that much. Didn't know that speculating about the actual MM algorithm, or discussing oberservations about it is a nono.

As a computer scientist, writing (complex) software for 30 years now, I am always interested in internal workings of difficult software systems. Just my nature.

Why it angers you so much, I have no idea, but the message arrived. Won't talk about it any more. It's a bit disappointing and astonishing, did not expect narrow mindedness here but ok.

Why would I say something like that? Does not make sense, why would they cheat players? They need to make money after all.

I really don't understand what pisses you all off that much. Didn't know that speculating about the actual MM algorithm, or discussing oberservations about it is a nono.

As a computer scientist, writing (complex) software for 30 years now, I am always interested in internal workings of difficult software systems. Just my nature.

Why it angers you so much, I have no idea, but the message arrived. Won't talk about it any more. It's a bit disappointing and astonishing, did not expect narrow mindedness here but ok.

Streaks are the tell tale sign of complete randomness, unless you can see a clear and provable pattern in the streaks, quod non.

We all find these conversations interesting, but we find ignorant statements like those you made ultimately tiring. Want a discussion that doesn't cause us to sigh, gather data. But don't tell "there's streaks, though not as prescribed in the patent, so it must be not random", because no, it's "there's streaks, but not as described in the patent, so this is a clear indication that it is completely random".

I understand that I am not the first one to come up with such unprovable wild "accusations" and it is tiring for you.

Perfectly understandable, please take my apologies.

I come back to it, if I manage to find patterns in data, or I be quiet about it forever.

Thanks for the explanation.

Shaming this pro tomato with 19K battles.
outlaw525jr, officer with swamp fox

This tomato tk'd me because I was passive spotting.  I had half their team lit for the whole game with 2400 assisted dmg.
He couldn't see anything I was spotting because he was camping base in his KV5

14:52 [F1] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) : Ohh..the circus is back in town! Anyone want to run away with it?
14:50 [F1] donalson99[-VDP-] (M4A3E8) : wow standard battle this high tier on this map?
14:42 [F1] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) : SWFOX is recruiting pm me
14:31 [--] KrisOnline[F1GHT] (Nashorn) : guess everybody needs practicing

13:51 [H8] KrisOnline[F1GHT] (Nashorn) : sorry all greek to me lol

13:48 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : found em

12:16 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : leave the base bozos

11:52 [E2] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) : T37 spot there TDs here

11:25 [E2] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) : reported T37

10:43 [E3] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) dealt 301 damage to [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37)
10:42 [E3] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) dealt 24 damage to [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37)
10:36 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : fuck you kv5 tomato
10:29 [E2] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) : go do ur job

10:22 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : they're fucking lit ****

0:14 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : stop camping base you stupid fuck

10:07 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : kv5 is not a sniper
10:03 [E2] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) : useless scout
09:59 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : kv5 camping base
09:56 [E2] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) dealt 264 damage to [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37)
09:50 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : the for credits
09:41 [E2] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) : welcome scrub
09:32 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : are you fucking blind kv5
09:11 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : maybe if you werent' camping you would have draw distance on the enemy

09:56 [E2] outlaw525jr[sWFOX] (KV-5) destroyed [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37)

09:03 [--] Poppy5 (T25/2) : kv5 do u think ure a genius ???

08:55 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : enjoy the ban kv5
08:53 [F5] engineered[REL_3] (T37) : moron
08:05 [--] mastereduard[-LL-] (T29) : lel k-5 bannes
07:59 [--] mastereduard[-LL-] (T29) : banned*

This one just cracked me up. THE STORY OF JESSE'S WARPACK IN ACTION!

Hax001_zpsf2e5c8f0.jpg

Oh noes! Ze cowards have outmaneuvered us!

Hax002_zpsc0d2e45f.jpg

We hatch a brilliant plan!

Hax003_zpsc82433a2.jpg

SUCCESS! TEAMWORK AND GLORIOUS VICTORY! LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN AND SUCH!

Hax004_zps5e605676.jpg

In fairness, with win rates like that after 50k battles he might actually think cooperation is a form of hacking.

I agree with the fact that I have room to improve - a LOT of room in fact - but I disagree completely with the rest of the underlined part of your statement.

You're effectively saying, "you aren't good enough to complain."

Or translated differently, "you don't have enough skill to know what the right moves are."

Patently false. I do know some good moves and strategies and I can sometimes recognize shitty play when I see it. Even my own. Even in the play of much more skilled players than myself because they DO fuck up frequently.

So I complain when I see what looks to me like shitty play. Sometimes I misinterpret what I'm seeing and behave like an asshole to someone who doesn't deserve it. If I realize it after the fact I'll send a PM and apologize. I've done this several times after watching my own replays.

I haven't watched the replays of these games yet so I'll assume that I did that to you.

Fair enough. You called me out and I'll apologize. But not for ranting in general.

I could definitely be nicer about how I do it but I've tried that and generally get no response. At least when I rage I occasionally get a "fuck off" PM afterwards. And I've guided dozens of reds here because of it.

So I'll leave it at this: I'm sorry if I incorrectly judged you.

But I'm not going to stop raging because in my experience it has been far more effective at getting people to take an honest look at their game play and try to come for help. Funny thing is that humans will go to amazing extremes to avoid embarrassment. If I embarrass them in game, it sometimes leads to the "omg I really do suck!" epiphany and is therefore worth being called out like you did when I fuck it up.

YMMV

Quick word on this, he and I have spoken and resolved any outstanding differences - and should be moved into the list of honouraburu tankers

Its wesley001.  Guy is a complete moron.

This.

My interactions with Wesley are infrequent but go back over the course of a friggin year. One of the last times I played against him, I was in my T14 and he was in a SU85i. Before the match even started he started bitching about a T67 on my team being OP and spammed "T67 reported". Know what he did? He just sat in a back corner of the map the entire match and was the last to die. He did nothing. The best thing to do with him is have some fun at his expense then say:

tumblr_lyyiidLyVk1r2z94x.gif

So... some poor guy at WG has to sort through a dozen letters a week made on a type writer from the 80s listing out detailed incidents of hacking. 50k battles, guy's got a lot of spare time left over even after maintaining his "vaccines cause autism" spinning gifs website.