Sign in to follow this  
Snuup

What am I doing wrong with the T-54?

Question

Boatload of replays here: https://mega.co.nz/#!BJA1AQpT!XNw6DyebTOETIjel2kDmHV_JP9QERChrNHDbiM1-kpg

I just don't get it - I can't seem to win any games with my T-54. It's like I can't carry hard enough to get wins, or find good spots, or avoid being hit. People keep telling me it's a brawling tank, but that just gets me killed.

Are there any glaringly obvious mistakes from these piles of replays? What am I doing wrong? 

One of the more frustrating replays I've had: https://mega.co.nz/#!NQgCSKaC!Xj3tuwfV0QfU8q-COXbf4V0s0HgMQtCuxDA-PQEOPH8

Another replay I couldn't figure out: https://mega.co.nz/#!QI5Enaia!eYOrknZIz0NUUlED6IjFGUtVrpMkjRW-aMHFd6fbxvA

5 answers to this question

I watched the two singular replays, and I think I have a pretty good idea.

The strengths of the T54 are:

1. Low effective aim time
  2. Mobility
  3. Decent gun depression
  4. Impenetrable front turret
  5. Angular upper front plate

You use the first two, but not the bottom three.  The trick is to get hull down and simply bully opposing tanks by using that low effective aim time to hit their hatches and duck before they can aim on yours.  Go to more situations where you can hull down and use the hard turret.

In the replays, you're not really aware of your positioning, constantly giving your opponents shots like this:

I7dUps8.jpg

Since the front of the tank is based on angles, it will bounce more shots than you'd expect. Obviously it won't bounce every time, but if you never give it a chance...

The replay on Cliff is very telling: you're in the right spot but using the wrong tactics.  Your turret bounces a few shots even though with the way you're spinning your hull it's obvious you're not trying to hull down.  An E50M appears, and you freak out in a very defensible position:

YLTg1p9.jpg

That little rise in front of you is just enough to hide your lower plate (there's also one behind you not shown here).  It won't bounce every time, but it gives a pretty tough target and is infinitely better than swinging the tank around to point your ass at the enemy as is shown here.

TL;DR: drive it more like a T29 than a batchat.

• Low effective aim time
  • Mobility
  • Decent gun depression
  • Impenetrable front turret
  • Angular upper front plate

You forget two of the biggest of all: Russian medium-level hax camo and a gun with great to amazing aim time, penetration, accuracy and DPM. My main method of play is to load up optics and a full camo crew and invisilight+DPM down everything. Master this and you will go very far. The T-54 is excellent at brawling but you need to conserve your HP for the times that call for it, not seek it out. The vision+speed+profile+armor makes the T-54 one of the best spotters in tier, and its gun makes it one of the most effective spotters.

Edited: I meant optics not binocs.

1. Low effective aim time
  2. Mobility
  3. Decent gun depression
  4. Impenetrable front turret
  5. Angular upper front plate

You use the first two, but not the bottom three.  The trick is to get hull down and simply bully opposing tanks by using that low effective aim time to hit their hatches and duck before they can aim on yours.  Go to more situations where you can hull down and use the hard turret.

In the replays, you're not really aware of your positioning, constantly giving your opponents shots like this:

I7dUps8.jpg

Since the front of the tank is based on angles, it will bounce more shots than you'd expect. Obviously it won't bounce every time, but if you never give it a chance...

The replay on Cliff is very telling: you're in the right spot but using the wrong tactics.  Your turret bounces a few shots even though with the way you're spinning your hull it's obvious you're not trying to hull down.  An E50M appears, and you freak out in a very defensible position:

YLTg1p9.jpg

That little rise in front of you is just enough to hide your lower plate (there's also one behind you not shown here).  It won't bounce every time, but it gives a pretty tough target and is infinitely better than swinging the tank around to point your ass at the enemy as is shown here.

TL;DR: drive it more like a T29 than a batchat.

Thanks. It doesn't seem like I can hulldown over a depression or something though, like the T29. Where are the spots that I can hide my hull? Every time I try to hulldown, it makes it so I shoot over the turret of the enemy from the lack of depression. 

You forget two of the biggest of all: Russian medium-level hax camo and a gun with great to amazing aim time, penetration, accuracy and DPM. My main method of play is to load up binocs and a full camo crew and invisilight+DPM down everything. Master this and you will go very far. The T-54 is excellent at brawling but you need to conserve your HP for the times that call for it, not seek it out. The vision+speed+profile+armor makes the T-54 one of the best spotters in tier, and its gun makes it one of the most effective spotters.

Should I replace vents with binox? 

Ack, I meant Optics not Binocs. This tank has good view range and with as often as it should be moving (which is basically every moment you aren't aiming or sitting in a bush waiting for something to crest the hill on Prokhorovka, etc.) Optics are by far the preferred choice. Rammer/Vstab/Optics is hands-down the best equipment setup.

Addressing your hull-down concerns, the T-54's small profile allows it mastery of terrain abuse to full a hull-down position. Every little irregularity hull-down, just use tactics like you do on north side east Steppes. Angle your tank sideways, aim your turret forward. Watch for little bumps and rises terrain; often the flat ground you're on that prevents you from aiming down without exposing yourself is perfect hull-down cover when positioning a couple meters behind it in the patch of depressed ground.

Ack, I meant Optics not Binocs. This tank has good view range and with as often as it should be moving (which is basically every moment you aren't aiming or sitting in a bush waiting for something to crest the hill on Prokhorovka, etc.) Optics are by far the preferred choice. Rammer/Vstab/Optics is hands-down the best equipment setup.

Addressing your hull-down concerns, the T-54's small profile allows it mastery of terrain abuse to full a hull-down position. Every little irregularity hull-down, just use tactics like you do on north side east Steppes. Angle your tank sideways, aim your turret forward. Watch for little bumps and rises terrain; often the flat ground you're on that prevents you from aiming down without exposing yourself is perfect hull-down cover when positioning a couple meters behind it in the patch of depressed ground.

Awesome, thank you.