Sign in to follow this  
bjshnog

What is your definition of comparative 'Skill' within World of Tanks?

EDIT: Wrong section. Should this be in Core Skills & Mechanics?

Different people obvious measure it in different ways (Efficiency Rating, WN*, Win Rate), but what is it really? At least, what is your definition or interpretation?

My definition is ability to do that which is required to create a situation which will allow your team to win the game with the capabilities of your tank, compared to those against and with whom you battle. If a tank is naturally worse at winning, then that doesn't necessarily mean the player is worse at winning.

Tazilon thinks that this is a stupid way of looking at skill. I don't know what the fuck he's on. Does anyone else know? Any idea?

Your ability to influence a battle when non-skill variables (like tank, map, quality of teammates, etc) are taken out of the equation.

say what?

I would say skill most definitely includes your ability to take advantage of the map and the tank.  You can have people that are skilled in certain types of tanks and certain types of maps, vs people being skilled an a bigger variety, but the factor of skill definitely has to include what they do with the map and tank.

That isn't what I mean. Maps that are inherently advantageous to one side and tanks that are inherently more powerful than they should be are non-skill modifiers to your ability to influence a match. Ability to exploit that is a different story altogether.

You cannot really judge skill on broad level. Try comparing Einstein with Washington. Both are skillful but you cannot say directly without long arguments which one is more skillful

If you want to compare skill. You need to be more specific. Servios and jacg is skilful player. But they play differently. Servios is TD player while jacg is Lt player. So they not really comparable.

Thought (debatable) that servios is better wot player than jacg simply because it easier to influence the game in TD than in LT. Then again is really depend on many factor.

personally I just use wr since it simple :P

Yeah I am a baddie. I am the least skillful person in this forum. I should hang myself for shameful stat.

But really only time that I really care about player skill is when I platooning. I cannot carry 40% you see.

*start leaning how to be skilful in rope knot*

Skill is the ability to dictate the battle according to your terms.  Everything else (map reading, aim, angling, knowing your tank, and so forth) are the tools to achieve that end.

At the end of the day, winning.

Also by far the easiest to pad.

But also only the most skillful player can win very hard to win games (aka all red team, solopub)

Thing that impresses me more than anything, is not dpg,wn7, w/r, but the ability to carry hard above all.

Like when I platoon with people, those who can carry when our chance to win is 30%, get my respect more than anything.

One's ability to win, irrespective of other influences. 

Anything else requires a qualifier.  There's a difference between a skilled player, a skilled light tank driver, a skilled FC, etc.  In all cases, however, a skilled player is able to create wins. 

This makes comparisons tricky, however.  Is a 60% solopubber better than a 60% platooner?  Better than a 65% platooner?  70%?  Where is the line?  That's why these ratings metrics will never be perfect.  It is impossible to eliminate all other factors, and simply highlight individual skill. 

ability to do something/apply it

ie; camohax and view-hax, you may not be good in a close up fight where angling and stuff matter but leo1/268 you're awesome in.

you can have more than one skill

like knowing camo/view hax, you got brawling skills (knowing reload and angling/exposure, also team-play skills as in sharing HP pool.

For Example my awesome FC nogg is good in a close range brawl, and using camo hax, and team-play.

would knowing how to coordinate count as a skill? if so add that to nogg.

this applies for pub/CWs/tourney but you have to be more careful higher up, as skill brawling un-coordinated in a CW is terribad as you derp in one by one getting killed or something.

I think average exp earned is the best skill measure. That takes into account how much you spot, do damage and generally help your team to win. Only problem is that many people don't have premium account.

I think average exp earned is the best skill measure. That takes into account how much you spot, do damage and generally help your team to win. Only problem is that many people don't have premium account.

It varies between tiers and even within tier a lot too. For example, I noticed as soon as I got it that the E-75 gets tons of exp, even more than the E-100.

So many ways to answer this.

Unicum: Move to cover, shoot reds before they roll into cap

Skilled: Move to cover, shoot reds that are in cap

Average: Shoot reds that are in cap.

Noobs: Cannot find cap.

Baddies: Destroy the cover that friendlies use when shooting reds in cap.

Unicum: Drives toward flanking firing position.

Skilled: Drives toward nearest firing position.

Average: Waits until current location becomes a firing position.

Noobs: Cannot identify a firing position.

Baddies: Drives into river and drowns.

And on, and on.  Deriving this from statistics?  I appreciate what you are trying to do; good luck!

Churchill III driver confirmed.

edit: ahaha you actually are

I thought this place had higher standards than the official forums.

I guess you didn't bother to check that I have 68 games on churchill out of 6300 games. If that makes me a "churchill driver" then cool. And even if so, is that bad thing? It was the tank I was learning this game in.

Back to the original topic, do you disagree that average exp is not a good measure of skill?

I'm not tense, you are just bad@jokes, you get the reply you deserve.

And like I said, only problem with exp as a measure is premium account system. Basically the only thing that exp doesn't measure (not that any other figure measure) is the way one creates opportunities for his team to win.

By normalized XP I also mean normalized through all tiers and classes. If you started using XP as your skill measurement it would be pretty wild even if you had the ability to remove prem XP. Arty would need to be normalized, TDs would need special attention since they had an XP malus before, and average tier (or per-tier) would need to give xp modifiers, because 1k XP may be laughable at T7 but it is ridiculous at tier 1.

XP itself is very nice because it accounts for a lot of stuff WG simply doesn't give out; it's just not balanced. You'd have to end up with another dumb formula for balancing it all out, which kind of removes its viability as a simple one-variable skill measurement.