Sign in to follow this  
Assassin7

Centurion 7/1 Gun choices

Which gun?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. L7A1 or 20 Pdr B barrel

• Royal Ordanence 105mm L7A1
    • QF 20 Pounder type B Barrel

AS the titles says, for all you Centurion 7/1 owners, which Gun do you prefer to use on it? the 20 pounder B barrel, or the 105mm L7A1.

I prefer the L7A1, simply because of that Godly Penetration, and alpha. even despite the low RoF, I find it just fits me better than the 20 pounder does.

Discussion welcome.

I think it's been widely decided that the L7A1 is the only way to go for this.

yeah, but this topic brought my intrest at Jingles recent video showing how he preferred the 20 pounder, as well as the fact Quickybaby also uses the 20 pdr.

QuickyBaby is stupid for not using l7a1 if thats why you are asking. Always and every time l7a1

makes sense. I just wanted to see peoples opinions on this, I had never though about using the 20 pdr as a viable gun choice until Jingles and Sidestrafe did a vid together on the (8.5?) test server, where Jingles used the 20 pdr. and then after seeing QB use it I have been wondering what others opinions on it are.

TBH I don't see the point of the 20 pdr over the L7A1, its gold round pen is worse than the standard round pen of the L7A1... the alpha is very sub par for tier 9, and only the RoF makes it any good, and that's why I wanted to see opinions on it.

yeah, but this topic brought my intrest at Jingles recent video showing how he preferred the 20 pounder, as well as the fact Quickybaby also uses the 20 pdr.

See the "fuck you jingles" thread.

Basically they're all about the amg deepee eem. But i'll take 268 pen and better alpha over that. especially when the first shot DPM is only 300 damage, and that pen is way more reliable vs tier9/10 heavies.

The L7A1's silver round has 10 more pen than the gold round on the 20pdr, right there is enough reason to just run L7A1, on top of that it gains 40% alpha for 50% slower reload, I'll take it. Also rammer is more effective because a longer reload, so the difference is even smaller.

See the "fuck you jingles" thread.

Basically they're all about the amg deepee eem. But i'll take 268 pen and better alpha over that. especially when the first shot DPM is only 300 damage, and that pen is way more reliable vs tier9/10 heavies.

The L7A1's silver round has 10 more pen than the gold round on the 20pdr, right there is enough reason to just run L7A1, on top of that it gains 40% alpha for 50% slower reload, I'll take it. Also rammer is more effective because a longer reload, so the difference is even smaller.

see above, it was less Jingles using it and More Quickybaby using it, and since QB is a unicum that is what made me wonder. if Jingles said to use it but QB wasn't, and was all for the L7A1, I would of said lolnope Jingles, go home your drunk.

I tried the 20lb for a while. I found myself to exposed too often trying to get the second and third shot in.

top gun all the way now.

I tried the 20lb for a while. I found myself to exposed too often trying to get the second and third shot in.

top gun all the way now.

that is exactly why I don't like high RoF low alpha guns. 

With the 20 pdr,I found myself exposing my tank for waaaaaay too long in my Centurion Mk. 7/1 because of the low alpha damage, which required me to expose my tank for uncomfortably long periods of time. Throw in weak armour overall and its a recipe for disaster.

The higher alpha of the 105mm however allows me to take a quick peek and get a shot off, after which I would quickly zoom back into cover, which significantly helps with your survival, and with 268mm of penetration with regular ammo, coupled with 0.32 accuracy at 100m, your shot is very likely to do damage. Furthermore, the 105mm also introduces the HESH round, which gives a significant boost to your DPM which can be used for unloading into the sides and rear of enemy tanks, thus somewhat negating the DPM disadvantage of the 105mm L7A1.

DPM is overrated especially in hightier. At least in pubbie match

I agree. Unless something can flank and be invisible, alpha is much better. And nothing can be invisible at higher tiers. 

Elaboration on prior thoughts:

If you are to play a DPM based tank, you need an edge. High camo (T-62a, 140, 268), tough-ish armor (Tortoise), high mobility (LTs, RU meds), reliable hull-down (M46). With the 7/1, you have the camo of a heavy tank and the armor of a tier 7 tank. You do have the ability to hull-down, but it isn't even a reliable hull down due to numerous turret weak points. The continuous exposure needed with the type B exposes you far too much to return fire you cannot reliably avoid, as well as arty fire.

The rhythm of the L7 is fantastic for this tank. The 10s reload is actually nice, as you can peek, fire, pen and drop back quickly, and lose lights as you relocate for a second shot from a slightly different angle. 10s is enough for pubbies to forget that you were there! And with the 390 alpha, damage adds up quickly. I easily averaged about 3k DPG with the L7, only 1.8 or so with the 20 pdrs.

It was less Jingles using it and More Quickybaby using it, and since QB is a unicum that is what made me wonder.

If you observed QB succeeding with the 20pdr, I would suggest it was because you were watching QB.  If there is one thing that we have learned from the tank marathon contests, it is that skilled players will always succeed against pubs, whether they are armed with nukes or knives.

Voting is currently 25:0 -- I think it is safe to conclude that L7 is the way to go.

If you observed QB succeeding with the 20pdr, I would suggest it was because you were watching QB.  If there is one thing that we have learned from the tank marathon contests, it is that skilled players will always succeed against pubs, whether they are armed with nukes or knives.

Voting is currently 25:0 -- I think it is safe to conclude that L7 is the way to go.

ahhh yeah. :P I did alright with the 20pdr while I was grinding the L7, but I wouldnt swap it back. And I just didn't understand why Jingles was giving everyone such misinformation about the gun choice. even if people here said the 20 pdr was viable, I still would use the L7 because of that godly penetration (which is actually more than all the tier 10 heavies since WG nerfed tier 10 heavy pen)

ahhh yeah. :P I did alright with the 20pdr while I was grinding the L7, but I wouldnt swap it back. And I just didn't understand why Jingles was giving everyone such misinformation about the gun choice. even if people here said the 20 pdr was viable, I still would use the L7 because of that godly penetration (which is actually more than all the tier 10 heavies since WG nerfed tier 10 heavy pen)

My totally uneducated guess is that Jingles saw QB using the 20 pounder and decided he would just copy QB. Misinformation is contagious...