evacmybore

Panther II - Top Gun Comparo and Questions

When I look at me "top" tanks, meaning the tanks with the highest averge experience I should play the AMX 50 100 and the type 59. Respetively 709 and 702 average XP.  The Panther II has 588, the E-50M 583, T54 581. The top 6:

AMX 50 100

Type 59

T-43

IS-3

Centurion 1

KV-1S

What does that say about me? Average battles is between 3:20 and 4:30.

You're,yoloing too much.  Slow down ... look at your team and more importantly your mini map see what is going on around you.  Adjust, flank, anything but rush straight up the middle in the open and expect the enemy to not shoot you because they are supposed to sit in awe of your bravery or something.

Another thing just bcause you're in a heavy or some tank with good armor doesn't mean you can't get penned.  You need to be hull down in them or have cover to duck back behind and play peek a boo..  Even the Maus and the E100 gets penned.

I agree with what some of the others have said too this isn't a Medeival joust like Patton suggested in the movie where he and Rommel should meet on the battlefield in thier tanks and decide the war. 

I have to say, I really like this tank, played it now for three games, and got my ace tanker right in the very first game. I think that's a good sign HG77YRU.png

When I look at me "top" tanks, meaning the tanks with the highest averge experience I should play the AMX 50 100 and the type 59. Respetively 709 and 702 average XP. The Panther II has 588, the E-50M 583, T54 581. The top 6:

AMX 50 100

Type 59

T-43

IS-3

Centurion 1

KV-1S

What does that say about me? Average battles is between 3:20 and 4:30.

It says you are overaggressive and often a detriment to your team.

The main reason I tend to die fast is because I like to attack. When I see half the team forest camping at Malinkovka, 1-2 line camping at Prohorovka (I have seen this a couple of time now that 8-10 tank camp in the upper left lower left corner of the map, that only 1 or 2 tanks cross the rail rao), hill camping at Red shire etc I just give up and suicide, I have no patients with campers.

Also I never use gold/premium ammo in any of my tanks.

That's why you suck in this game

That's why you suck in this game

Whelp... resurrecting an 8 month old convo just to tell someone they sucked. Did that guy nick your hubcaps or something??? 8)

Whelp... resurrecting an 8 month old convo just to tell someone they sucked. Did that guy nick your hubcaps or something??? 8)

Holy shit. It's been 8 fucking months into this year. o_o

Bumping this just because I don't think the section needs another Panther II thread. After reading what people had to say about this tank not just here, but also on the official forums, I really wasn't looking forward to it. The stock grind was a little painful, especially against tier 10s where I either had to flank late game, or be a fat squishy scout. But yesterday I upgraded the turret, and this morning I unlocked the 8,8. It is surprisingly good at bouncing shots both off the turret and off the hull if angled well, and I haven't had any issues penetrating with the new gun. My last five games have been over 4k WN8, with steel wall in the last two.. Not sure how anyone could hate this tank, though maybe it's a bit of a confirmation bias since I hated the Panther so much.

A bit off topic, but I've noticed that every German medium I've played has its ammo rack knocked out very easily; despite having Safe Stowage at 100% (and vents, though not BIA yet), this issue plagued me with the Panther, and now it plagues me with the Panther II and the Schmalturm. Is Safe Stowage useless, or are the ammo racks on these tanks just that weak?

I realize this is might sound like a smart azz answer, but don't let them shoot you in the side and you won't get racked so much.

Functionally, this has to be you controlling your position to the enemy.  With the Panther II, you really have to keep the weaknesses protected and use the strengths.  Protect the sides and LFP, and you will cure the crit issues on it.

Don't charge in, giving shots on your sides.  Stay back a little, use the view range, and whack them with that german accuracy.  Correctly facing the threat is critical to getting bounces over damaging pens.

Well I have the paintball mod, and often my ammo rack will be damaged when I'm shot just above the drive wheel on the front of the tank. I'm not sure why this is.. But all the same, if I was hull down I wouldn't have that issue.

Well I have the paintball mod, and often my ammo rack will be damaged when I'm shot just above the drive wheel on the front of the tank. I'm not sure why this is.. But all the same, if I was hull down I wouldn't have that issue.

Check this out;

http://www.wotinfo.net/en/noobcorner?article=hitzone_panther2

It just so happens that the area above the drive wheel (left side is worse) is ammo storage.  I think this is a little bogus, due to the driver's position, but I don't have blueprints to argue with.  Remember the shot that pens, continues inside the tank, and may go through to other areas.....

I may not spend the time to learn 200+ tank's weakspots, but I try to get the ones I drive, down.

So it's the 88? I thought the long 75 looked better in terms of aiming and ROF. The 88 is better in alpha and pen though... 100 better alpha is a lot though I guess... I'll switch them as soon as I unlock the turret.

Thanks for the old thread.

I love the Panther, but was struggling mightily with the Panther II.  Turns out I was running the wrong gun, the 75 just doesn't get it done, but after looking at this thread, saw that the uni's preferred the 88.  Now I know why.  What a difference, and only about 2.5 second difference in reload.

First game out hit 2100 damage.... not outstanding, but considering I had a game with the 75 where I hit and penned 11 shots and only did around 1200 damage...... goodbye 75, hello success!

Thanks

Find myself wondering about skillsets with the Pather II.

Skills
Required:

1st Skill

6th, Smooth, Snap, Sit Aware, Safe

2nd Skill

Repairs

3rd, Train camo to 60%

Reskill for Gold:

1st:

BIA

2nd Skillset

6th, Smooth, Snap, Sit Aware, Safe

3rd Skillset:

Repairs, Controlled Impact (Cause, reasons  =D  )

4th:

Train camo

Thank you Sir. Makes loads of sense, especially the Controlled impact. :)

It does like ramming doesn't it Marine? =D

Duke Nukem has plenty to say!

But that f......g ammorack on tracks! Here's hoping the 50 and 50M are less prone...

It does like ramming doesn't it Marine? =D

Duke Nukem has plenty to say!

But that f......g ammorack on tracks! Here's hoping the 50 and 50M are less prone...

No more frontal ammo racks (unless a random 128mm APCR/170mm HEAT/arty hitting upper plate on edges), but sides are still rather vulnerable to damage.

Odd question, why in God's name, Controlled Impact?

If you are ramming things in a Panther II you are far too close, IMHO.  (For that matter, too close for almost anything having a decent gun.  Ramming is reserved for Sui-kills of Arty, with a T71 on reload.  Or silly jumping-off-cliff WWF moves.)

Odd question, why in God's name, Controlled Impact?

If you are ramming things in a Panther II you are far too close, IMHO.  (For that matter, too close for almost anything having a decent gun.  Ramming is reserved for Sui-kills of Arty, with a T71 on reload.  Or silly jumping-off-cliff WWF moves.)

To get it trained up for when you switch the crew to the E50.

To get it trained up for when you switch the crew to the E50.

OK, cool.

You actually ram, other than last ditch resets or screwing around?  As in, "I'm going to charge in and ram him" enough times that ~30 pts extra damage is worth a crew slot?

Sure, the E50 is better than other tanks for ramming, but isn't that kinda like thinking the last 2" on 12" is usable...

Edit - Yea, people consider Crash'em Bash'em as an intended playstyle.

Thanks for the tips posters. :thumbup:

Taking a more "cautious or patient" approach with it now and getting 'racked less frequently playing 2nd line when possible. Sidescraping the RHS exposed surprised me at even tier Ruinberg. Finding I prefer terrain rather than towns and buildings as the depression is providing for some consistent bouncing of enemy shots. Tweaked the gunner skills to BiA+DT+SS, but the 88mm L71 seems to roll low quite often, but starting to like it as a tank and started doing consistently better damage.

OK, cool.

You actually ram, other than last ditch resets or screwing around?  As in, "I'm going to charge in and ram him" enough times that ~30 pts extra damage is worth a crew slot?

Sure, the E50 is better than other tanks for ramming, but isn't that kinda like thinking the last 2" on 12" is usable...

If I'm driving my E50m and I'm close enough to ram or bump the guy I'm fighting... He's getting rammed and bumped repeatedly.

I often don't resort to ramming. Losing HP, possibly tracks and exposing yourself. However, it's funny as hell. You have to think when it's good to ram not just YOLO derp.