evacmybore

Panther II - Top Gun Comparo and Questions

Been a while since I drove the panther 2, and I'm not as good as some of the other people that have commented, but RAM. It's a hp trade, so trade intelligently, but do it. Russian meds, lower tiers, scouts, paper tds... It's a supplement to your already high dpm.

Plus it's good training for the E50, which is a battering ram with a sniper rifle attached.

I often don't resort to ramming. Losing HP, possibly tracks and exposing yourself. However, it's funny as hell. You have to think when it's good to ram not just YOLO derp.

Indeed.  I agree its a hoot if you make it happen, correctly, but not as regular sui-tactic.

I tried to come off the top rope, on Mines, in my 4202 this weekend.  (For the Top Gun, no less.).  5 Kills, and a 83 pt M103 just below the cliff edge..........

He moved just enough, I crashed and blew up.  Dur.

I hated the Panther, love the Panther II. The dpm is really good and the alpha isnt hilariously bad like the Panther.

I have repairs on all my crew bar commander for first skill, somehow they're not on their second yet... but i went repairs bevause i anticipate the E50/m will be brawling more than your average med and in that case repairs.

The ramming dream is real with this tank.  I don't use it as a primary strategy, but late games I'll use it to finish off other mediums that are already engaged, and sometimes even when they are not.  

But I have to say that overall I'm not nearly as good with the PII than I was with the Panther.  I don't really play them differently, using both as 2nd line fighters.  I think the primary difference is that I see Tier X in the PII, and I don't have a lot of Tier X experience (my only tank is the E100 and have 150-ish games in it).  For some reason I could deal being bottom tier in the Panther, but man when I get bottom with the Panther II I just really struggle.

Dear god, did this thing get a mobility nerf from physics? Decided to grind it out to finally get the E-50 and I keep checking my ping because wtf why i no move wen push button??? Tried to ram a light tank downhill and thought I must have lagged out it reacted so slow.

1 hour ago, Jesse_the_Scout said:

Dear god, did this thing get a mobility nerf from physics? Decided to grind it out to finally get the E-50 and I keep checking my ping because wtf why i no move wen push button??? Tried to ram a light tank downhill and thought I must have lagged out it reacted so slow.

+10% gas will be ur friend:serb:

JESUS CHRIST HELP ME HOW TO PLAY THIS SNORLAX OF A TANK???

mobility: want to go up to a ridge or a slight slope? good luck with 10 km/h speed where all heavies are faster than you, got some normal terrain? you reach 35km/h but you have to stop to shoot? good that you have to wait 2 minutes until you reach top speed again while you just pushing W like a true yellow bob

accuracy: seriously worse stats than the cdc? german accuracy at its finest when you miss 4 out of 6  - fully aimed shots from literally 10 meters while you get rekt by arty and basically any tank

armor: very good that you have actually decent turret but hey, lets aim for 3 minutes with -2 gun depression while you get tracked and fucked in the metal ass

this tank is pure pain to play, even when its top tier but when its not, well - exactly.

I have the free xp to skip it but i have to free xp the e50 top turret-engine-gun-tracks too so..

@CarbonWard @Jesse_the_Scout @Kolni sorry for tagging you again but I don't know who else to ask.. 

:( halp me pls

Panther 2 was always the slug. I played the VK 45.02 (P) Ausf. A the same time, and the VK was faster until it reaches top speed, which is significantly lower than the P 2. Forward deployment is usually the same overall, but not on every map. panther 2 can make use of downhill slopes or hard terrain much better, but on even slight hills or grass the VK is much zippier because better hp/ton. I could chase Panthers without problem, they need wind in back, long downhill slope without grass and about a minute to run away. Ran both tanks at the same time with ramm+Vstab+optics, and VK almost 105 better WR than panther.

Overall, VK is better in every way, I played it like a fat med with usable armor. panther 2 aimtime kills it in its role, and 240 alpha is just anemic. VK even has a better gold shell and aim time, along with more satisfying alpha. It is a better flanker and a bully (bullied lower tiers better than pre-HD IS-3, you needed about 190-200 mm gun to penn it when angled a bit, while you could pen IS-3 UFP with 175 mm 3/4 of time - and VK LFP stronger than UFP trolls ppl to no end). Also, panther 2 can only do rather poor sidescrape, and has thin side armor. Vk can present the front plate at the extreme angle due to very forward turret -  if you can find the house to hide your overangled side you can give 225 mm penn guns less than 40% of chance to penn you without gold.

Panther 2 used to be a nicely mobile chassis for long 88 - just enough mobile to use the top speed in forward deployment and snipes, and fast enough to run away when the front crumbles. 0.34/240/2.7 is very good at damage farming, but not at winning. The tank is huge and soft. very clumsy in brawls, even when you accept you are just a big sack of hitpoints, and you go and try to out dpm and out hp the opponents. size, bad traverse, and paper armor and you trade meh...and sometimes hard to chase ppl around obstacles. too fat to squeeze to usual medium places.

smh I usually yolo all the battles; when I tried to be passive -> team didn't had their meatshield and died off instantly

i need to practice more patience on how to support ally 100 wn8 bobs while they teamkill each other and come in platoon with chi-nu etc. @no_name_cro I add you to my friend's list, maybe we can play in platoon.

@Jesse_the_Scout 7/1 is good mmkay?:kwim:

On 8/2/2016 at 7:23 PM, no_name_cro said:

P2 is basically E50 without any special armor and intimidating alpha.

Or speed...or gun handling...and the accuracy is far off.

3 hours ago, Felicius said:

Or speed...or gun handling...and the accuracy is far off.

When you buy car but all extras are paid for you go for basic model. :D 

I really liked the Panther, so I was hopeful I'd like the Panther II. But...this gun can't hit anything. I just finished a game where 1/3 of my shells hit an enemy tank. I'm still trying to find a redeeming feature. 

Man oh man, I can't even remember when I ground out the Panthers... But I did like the Panther II considerably more than the Panther, mostly because it got a much needed alpha boost. The thing with the Panther II is the DPM. It has quite good DPM so you can just spam shots downrange. From what I remember, even if it misses a lot of shots you'll still hit enough that you'll have respectable damage, but it's those games where all your shots connect where you get monster games. The accuracy actually ain't shabby at all (.33 according to tanks.gg, compared to .35 for the STA-1), it's just the aim time is disappointing. 

I don't know why, but this tank clicked for me. It has a relatively large health pool, not-lackluster alpha, very respectable DPM, and not-paper armor that can produce freak bounces, which leads to a tank that has better staying power than the tier 7 Panther, which I hated purely because of the anemic alpha on that kind of chassis. Your DPM makes you formidable and combined with your just-enough-to-make-your-enemies-pay-attention armor, it can save you from pubbie yolos and such.

Wow. Came to this thread to hear good things since wiki made it sound like it was a good sniper. But I guess it's WG tradition to make tier 6-8 tanks shit till you get to tier 9.

it's definitely not a newbie-friendly tank compare to maybe the T-44 (because Russian) or the Pershing (because 'murican turret)

that said, w/ it's 8,8 cm L/71 it's a step-up from the tier VII Panther with its thumbtack firing 7.5 cm gun. 

i just really like the Panther II, much to my regular platoon mates' bewilderment sometimes, but maybe because they are my meatshield+spotter+b8

im at 126 battles in, w/ 65% WR

just want to share this Ace game as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKEPn9lpI4o

1 hour ago, crapcannon said:

What are you running with the PII? Optics/rammer/vert?

I believe I run vents/rammer/vert stab.

Optics could be an alternative to vents, but I chose vents as I wanted to improve the gun handling more, maximise that aspect of the Panther II

18 minutes ago, ThomChen114 said:

I believe I run vents/rammer/vert stab.

Optics could be an alternative to vents, but I chose vents as I wanted to improve the gun handling more, maximise that aspect of the Panther II

Thanks. I'll give it a go. My crew has BIA, recon and situational awareness (whatever that adds up too with a range of 390.)