Sign in to follow this  
Agamemneon

Tanks benefitting most from 8.6

With the APCR normalization and HEAT nerfs I see two big winners in 8.6, heavily armored tanks that already require premium rounds and tier 5 armor tanks who no longer need to fear the M4 and PzIV derps as much. Which tanks do you see starting to come into prominence with these changes?

Tanks I see:

E-100 and E-75

IS-7

IS-6

KV-5

KV-1

KV-1 still isn't safe, there's the StuG with the L/70 and the S-35CA with the 17pdr to tear these though of course it depends on the driver if they know how to deal with them.

I think the E3 and T95 may see some new life, especially in city maps or on choke points.

More than likely also Deus, aren't you trembling on your knees yet imagining a very good player running a Foch155 in a City Map?

Foch155 is probably going to be a bit more broken again.

I think the E3 and T95 may see some new life, especially in city maps or on choke points.

I thought about that, but don't see it happening much because

1) APCR normalization nerf won't affect such flat tanks as much nor do the big weak spots on tanks like the T95 (cupola) offer any of the new added protection against HEAT

2) they're still too slow to be good carrying tanks and

3) Garbad's latest post on the arty changes.

This is more about the tanks that will be able to take the mainstage with these changes.

More than likely also Deus, aren't you trembling on your knees yet imagining a very good player running a Foch155 in a City Map?

Foch155 is probably going to be a bit more broken again.

Probably won't affect me as much since I always go for the rubbish on the roof,though I haven't really fought a good Foch155 player so I'm not sure how much more broken it will be.

Most Autoloaders probably would stand to gain a lot from this patch, as even though armor has been buffed, Autoloaders' consistency in terms of dealing damage has been greatly buffed thanks to the accuracy buff, for someone like who who disliked Batchat for its weak accuracy and inconsistency, i can see it being more viable next patch in pubs.

It seems like any tank that is good at sidescraping will get a significant advantage too - the ability for a couple more degrees of angle due to the increase in normalization will make sidescraping more effective with any tank with moderate side armor (IE enough armor to counter overmatch), and for more heavily tanks with flat armor it should provide a noticeable boost.

On that notion, the flatter angled tanks will get somewhat of a boost, at least when driven by someone that is good at SSing. It may not be as much of a boost as heavily angled tanks, but gaining a couple extra degrees where you'll bounce, particularly against HEAT slingers, will be VERY handy.

And how about lightly armored, stealthy, spammy TDs? There will be less 105 HEAT in play and the accuracy increase will be very good for any spammy tank. My HR in my T49 and Stug are very low because I am happy to spam the crap out of anything at 500+ meters or knock over buildings - the opportunity cost of a low percentage shot at high ranges is low on these tanks with 2.5-4 second reloads - being able to hit more of those shots will be highly beneficial.

All in all, it LOOKS like the primary benefactors here will be more skilled players. Overall, less randomness in aiming, less randomness in damage, and less randomness in penetration values will increase the importance of competency. People that are bad@aiming will still be aiming badly. People that are good@aiming will see a comparatively larger increase. And aiming for weaker spots will provide more consistent results.

IMO the full effects of the camo changes will not be clear for a while - it will probably be a wash overall, but with an overall decrease in camo, players capable of abusing view range effectively should be able to find more targets while sitting back further. I think the value of sixth sense will go up, and also the ease of spotting will make it harder to determine where you're being spotted from when 6S goes off, because there will be more options on the table.

I think all tanks will benefit from the dispersion change, but specially so for tanks with low dispersion guns that actualy aren't accurate(88mm L71 and the T34's 120mm come to mind) because of the current dispersion curve.

As for normalzation i always understood that normalization effect worked in both verticaly angled armor(think upper hull) and horizontaly angled armor(Side of a sidescraping Maus), but on the official forum some random poster said that the normalization only works for the vertically angled armor but gave no source for that. Which one is correct?

The one tank I really see getting a new chance with this patch, is the Object 263, now it's armour is almost impenetrable with a combination of normalization and HEAT penetration nerfs (providing you can hide the tiny lower strip, even then it'll still bounce 225mm pen guns regularly) and it doesn't have to worry nearly as much about artillery anymore.

I'm currently grinding up the SU101 and SU-122-54 line in anticipation.

I think the Foch155 has it beat on slope. But I am 100% in agreement about Carbon's assessment on autoloaders. Right now the batchat misses 1 from the clip except when very very close. Now its looking at 1 RNG miss every 4 clips. However the armor and pen changes may offset this, although not likely.

What was the 8.0 normalization change? from like -7 to -5?

I was firing HEAT at an E-100 tracks and the flaps. Normally it would pen with the old system, but WG made HEAT more realistic so if you're shooting at the front cog/cog+mudflap just fire normal AP or you'll just get no damage pen

1) APCR normalization nerf won't affect such flat tanks as much nor do the big weak spots on tanks like the T95 (cupola) offer any of the new added protection against HEAT

This is more about the tanks that will be able to take the mainstage with these changes.

Not sure why you even list #3.. even if arty could only do 1hp damage to tanks every 3 minutes, Garbad would still bitch about them and demand they be removed from the game due to some noob killing him with arty when he was down to his last hp in some tank. . 

My personal experience with my tier 10 arty on the test server so far is that their effectiveness has been roughly halved due to all the layers of nerfs. 

Not sure why you even list #3.. even if arty could only do 1hp damage to tanks every 3 minutes, Garbad would still bitch about them and demand they be removed from the game due to some noob killing him with arty when he was down to his last hp in some tank. . 

My personal experience with my tier 10 arty on the test server so far is that their effectiveness has been roughly halved due to all the layers of nerfs. 

This is a forum for getting away from the shit posting of the official forums. That includes people bringing their feuds here. Either refute the points Garbad made or don't talk about them.