Barrowton

Journey to Unicum TD

Question

Hey guy's so i have wrote a blog on newcomers forum but got reccomended to come here seeking the right answers, lovely Nisa was kind enough to give me some advice through my journey mind you it's short 1600 battles and so now i thought i would post a blog on my journey to unicum, and hopefully meet and provide readers and new readers to come a blog providing how i achieved my goals and what struggles i came across to get there, i got reccomended to seek Servios's knowledge as a td player so here goes and i am sure there are others, A little about me,

I am 24 years old and very passionate about WOT and really adicted as soon as i got my BL10 i stayed up playing 1 day with no sleep upping my stats. I am really dedicated to improving and have changed my WN7 by about 200 points in 2 days, i am very gratefull for all information and i am a extremely quick learner as i am a knowledge junky, and applying junky,

So some things i have got on a handle at 1600 battles with the USSR line,

-i have skilled angling at close combat and distant ranges

-skilled the 15 metre rule for cammo,

-peek a boom

-good at fidgety manouvering like you heavy tanks do,

-i can play agressive when need to but prefer to not take hits and die

-know my weaknesses on the tanks i encounter

Improve ment and issues

- location for maps on highland, sigfried , ensk , westfield , ruinberg, i struggle on these maps by struggle i mean to get my 2k damage, without taking hits, i will touch on my standards following.

-playing too aggressive not waiting and being patient,

-when tired i often rush my shots which is a habbit i have gotten much better at compared to lower tiers,

-taking hits by trying to be a hero with tha big troll cannona at close combat

well BL10 what can i say yes i only play tds and had 500 battles in ISU and now moving on to the obj 704 second day, I got the BL10 a few days ago and i have started to really up the ante so to speak in my journey, But i am finding that i am now getting put in more experienced players games pretty much majority so less scrubs now, Which is ok its just not so trolltastic anymore. Still on the ISU bad days i managed a 2-1 ratio and good days about 3-1 but now been put in more competetive matches by MM so about 2-1 (average damage i would do is 2.2kish)

I feel i am a little hard on myself and do not really know what it takes to be at around 1500 ratings in a short time frame, i feel very confident in battle field and feel i know where to go and how to read progression, but its different when your a td and you want to really want to make a difference, but its hard fending off heavies with more then 1 on 1, and yes as you know wot you don't always have players that help you. my rule for the ISU 152 was to try aim for 1800 quite achievable / easy.

seeing as its health is 1k (war3 terms) so i should try do double damage, my questions are i am not sure what to aim for on the Obj double health is 3400 i feel 3.4k would be hard to achieve at my current journey and the thing is i would say i take damage more then i should(opinions please?) i feel that 2.2k damage is quite achievable and managable with my skill level, but what i wonder is whats a good target damage or DCR i think that 2.8 like servios would be achievable, but 4 kill ratio would be way out of my league at this stage, anyways guys here is my OBJECT 704 STATS @ 19 games.

25gtoax.jpg

Ofcourse 50% is shocking , my averages are around 60 on isu and now 70% on the object i had to fix that up in tier 6, i can aim very well :D

Your hit rate is low at 51%. Learn to aim better.

I would go back if I were you, learn to master SU76 and SU85B first, then work again on SU100.

Also, going down 1 medium line and 1 heavy line will learn you a lot on the game. Just playing 1 type of tank will give you only partial understanding of the game mechanics. You don't have to go far, just to tier 5 or 6.

I think you did most of the analysis already. Don't rush, learn the maps on lower tiers.

Although the fact that you know the map names at 1,5 k games is already a good sign I would say!

Tito

yes i was thinking of bat chatt, 25, and t57 as i love autoloaders i just thought it will be much more difficult to get my stats up if i play more then one class type? i do enjoy flanking

yes i was thinking of bat chatt, 25, and t57 as i love autoloaders i just thought it will be much more difficult to get my stats up if i play more then one class type? i do enjoy flanking

Terrible attitude man , you don't play to push your stats , play to get better and develop an understanding of the tanks your fighting , all that experience will help you to take them down when you face them 

I'm confused though , you said you've only just unlocked the BL-10 on the Obj 704 ? Why didn't you have it coming from the ISU ? 

Your stats in TD will improve when you learn how to take down TDs yourself in fast tanks etc.

You shouldn't think too much tier 10 yet.

Think T34, M4, T49 etc.

Tito

i writt the paragraph in the wrong order, and to your statement i simply meant stay where i am untill i can get my stats to atleast 1100-1200 ratings in order to make up for my terrible stats earlier, is that so bad? and how is that a terrible attitude, me comming here asking for help and sharing my experience is what i call a great attitude, most players go back to tier 4-5 and stat padd well i am doing it while mastering my tds. please leave your rather meaning assumptions out of my blog before you assume the context and tone it was placed in mate.

The bad attitude is you wanting to pad your stats rather than learn how to play the other tanks in the game , what happens when you successfully pad your stats to unicum and then you decide to go over to the Autoloaders , your stats will crash . Hence why i said , don't focus on padding your WN learn to play the other tanks which will in turn make you a better player which in the long run leads to your unicum stats 

thanks mate i understand, yes you stated exacly what i needed to hear, i guess i am affraid i would be bad at other tanks, because i know what its like to destroy a heavy tank in two shots or a medium in one so i guess i would not like to be on recieving end

Definitely play some other tanks and some other lines. USSR TDs are nice but they're only one part of the game and there's so much more to play with.

Another point. It looks like you're rushing through the tech tree. It's better to take your time.

You could probably progress more efficiently if you sound slightly friendlier;due to unwanted friction (you wouldn't want to help a person if he wouldn't give you mutual respect would you),be a humbled pubbi scrubbi for now and take their advice.

Make sure not to stick to a single line,Servios can do it because he is a dirty re-roll and probably played them in his main account,as mentioned above,the skills you learn from playing other classes will improve your TD play in general due to greater understanding.
The tank lines I learned much of my tanking abilities are the German Heavies (Tiger II) for angling and the American line (Shermans/Pershing) for depression and being a medium in general.
While you're at it,get a tier 4 or 5 arty at least so you can truly understand the "arty-safe" spots and how even those can be bypassed by looking at it at a different angle.

hey OP, nice to see a fellow SEA player here.

hmmm.....judging from your obj 704 stats, yr damage per game is pretty low at 1749 only. what gun are you using? BL-10? if it's BL-10 then maybe you are not being in the right position to deal the damage or dying too early? my current stat on obj 704 is 116 games with 3200 damage per game.

but the advice given is good, better for you to play other type of tanks 1st to improve yourself. playing only 1 type of tanks in 1 line will limit your knowledge and experience. as they say, "knowing is already half the battle won"

and don't worry so much about your stats with on;y 1.7k battles....i started to worry about my stats at 8k+ games.

cheers. 

Definitely play some other tanks and some other lines. USSR TDs are nice but they're only one part of the game and there's so much more to play with.

Another point. It looks like you're rushing through the tech tree. It's better to take your time.

I'm not sure if one could say he is rushing --- i have 1650 games spread out among TD, Heavy, Medium, Lights.... yet i'm in a tier 8 as well.  Could be in a tier 9 pretty soon if I was wanting to, but I'm content to grind out a bunch of tourny tanks and practice with them

I got my 60 day stats mainly by playing TD. I was a light green player before. Though I do play Mediums and Heavies on a ~1600 WN7 rating now, too.

If you have anything I could help you out with, ask away. Take the private message route if you want to, I am not really qualified to post in the purple place.

I will back up the previous answers though. Don't rush through tiers. Get the SU-100 to prepare for ISU-152 and upwards and learn maps on T6. Learn the vision mechanics. Read sela's thread in this forum for maps.

For your DPG question: If you really average 2.2k DPG on ISU, that's pretty good already. I am sitting at 2.4k imho (at work, can't check) and I am pretty confident I do play on a good level.

For Obj 704 aim at 3k.

It looks to me like you're being too aggressive which will get you killed in the RU TD's.  You will get out visioned at tier 5 and above which means if you get spotted, you're going to get destroyed.  Despite the great high alpha guns, just about every other tank can DPM you down faster.  Stay in cover and use the good camo ratings to your advantage.  As a rule of thumb you should think of TD's as just damaging tanks and not so much spotting tanks.  There are exceptions to this, but in general it's true.  Here is how I view the general roles of the different tank types.  Again, there are exceptions, but these are rules of thumb I try to follow when playing.

Light tanks - mostly spotting/sometimes damaging

Medium tanks - 50/50 spotting/damaging

Heavy tanks - mostly damaging/some spotting

TD's - damaging damaging damaging and spotting occasionally

fuck arty

It looks to me like you're being too aggressive which will get you killed in the RU TD's.  You will get out visioned at tier 5 and above which means if you get spotted, you're going to get destroyed.  Despite the great high alpha guns, just about every other tank can DPM you down faster.  Stay in cover and use the good camo ratings to your advantage.  As a rule of thumb you should think of TD's as just damaging tanks and not so much spotting tanks.  There are exceptions to this, but in general it's true.  Here is how I view the general roles of the different tank types.  Again, there are exceptions, but these are rules of thumb I try to follow when playing.

Light tanks - mostly spotting/sometimes damaging

Medium tanks - 50/50 spotting/damaging

Heavy tanks - mostly damaging/some spotting

TD's - damaging damaging damaging and spotting occasionally

fuck arty

Too aggressive with 0.16 spots? I would rather say he camps too much and doesnt follow frontline. Being TD doesnt mean you camp next to base entire game. Good TD follows frontline, spots his own targets if he has to, leads a push if heavies and meds are all low HP etc. Again, judging by your spots in 704 you are too passive.

If you were EU server i wouldnt mind showing you some things...

hey guys thank you all so much, and sorry for my behavior earlier, i am by farr no where near a passive player, if anything i am too aggressive dieing quickly, i am one of those tds who think there a heavy, Thats often what get's me killed being on front line too much, Thanks salsa very kind of you will take you up on that.

So guys, i lost a little confidence after a bad role and went bac to tier 4-5 i must say i skipped my tiers way too soon and i kind of regrett it now Thinking the higher tier i go the easier it will be to get op. i feel more comfortable at a lower tier for now.

also guys, i really enjoy autoloader concepts i am thinking of starting the tiger line and also working up to the BC 25t. I am going to say i am not ready for tier 9 just yet, I need to unlearn some bad habbits,

Too aggressive with 0.16 spots? I would rather say he camps too much and doesnt follow frontline. Being TD doesnt mean you camp next to base entire game. Good TD follows frontline, spots his own targets if he has to, leads a push if heavies and meds are all low HP etc. Again, judging by your spots in 704 you are too passive.

If you were EU server i wouldnt mind showing you some things...

You know, I just missed that all together. You're right. He's being too passive and having to do damage to bail out when the game is pretty much lost.

Turns out my original assessment was right. Which doesn't surprise me given that above tier 4 the view range drops off considerably.  If you're pushing aggressively and not using cover you'll get spotted long before you see the enemy.

704 has a mind of its own, not sure its the best tank to reach unicum stats in.  Best of luck.

yeah the BL-10 gun is moody at times....but oh so sexy when it's in the right frame of mind.

good to see you go back to the mid tiers. hook me up if you want to platoon sometimes....i promise to teach you more on how to be a scrub.

Hey guys so I have decided to start from te beginning and not push up further untill I so good at that tier, I just realized I rushed straight through the tiers, I speak to myself going dam there are some fun op tanks why did I try race, I realize just how much stuff I need to work on, like patience in aiming make every shot count, I am doing reasonably well on my isu I just am a little to hard on my self, anyways I am at tier two on the epic at1, I am also going to grind ussr heavy line up to maybe 6, Again I have to be good at each tier and make it work,

Debating whether I go for German heavy line and medium, or French heavy line, I am waiting for new td line to come out for German. I average across my whole games about 1.7 dcr which is ok I guess for now but just shows how much improvement I need and all my tiers below 8 are probAly just around 1.10 kdr which is crappy for the amount of derp

hey guys, so i am a pretty competitive player i am often hard on my self to achieve my goals, i was wondering can someone give me specific ratio's that will get me too 1900 ratings marks, is is 3kill ratio, and 2.5 DCR ratio? i just would like to know what i am trying to work on so i can break it down to each tank and each battle i can see the damage i need to do,

for example to get 2 DCR and my tank is 500 hit points i will need to do 1k Damage,

and also guys, i admitt i was a big noob skipping all the tiers so first 1200 battles were totall fail, can someone tell me what a satisfactory survive % i should aim for at the moment it's 32% survive, i have my hit ratios down pat,

Hey guys so I have decided to start from te beginning and not push up further untill I so good at that tier, I just realized I rushed straight through the tiers, I speak to myself going dam there are some fun op tanks why did I try race, I realize just how much stuff I need to work on, like patience in aiming make every shot count, I am doing reasonably well on my isu I just am a little to hard on my self, anyways I am at tier two on the epic at1, I am also going to grind ussr heavy line up to maybe 6, Again I have to be good at each tier and make it work,

Debating whether I go for German heavy line and medium, or French heavy line, I am waiting for new td line to come out for German. I average across my whole games about 1.7 dcr which is ok I guess for now but just shows how much improvement I need and all my tiers below 8 are probAly just around 1.10 kdr which is crappy for the amount of derp

You are way too much obsessed with irrelevant numbers. Only 2 numbers you should care about are winratio and average damage. Both german meds and french heavies are campy kind of tanks, same for wafflefragers. Old habits should still work with them  i guess.

hey guys, so i am a pretty competitive player i am often hard on my self to achieve my goals, i was wondering can someone give me specific ratio's that will get me too 1900 ratings marks, is is 3kill ratio, and 2.5 DCR ratio? i just would like to know what i am trying to work on so i can break it down to each tank and each battle i can see the damage i need to do,

for example to get 2 DCR and my tank is 500 hit points i will need to do 1k Damage,

and also guys, i admitt i was a big noob skipping all the tiers so first 1200 battles were totall fail, can someone tell me what a satisfactory survive % i should aim for at the moment it's 32% survive, i have my hit ratios down pat,

Hard to tell about exact rating, but try average damage goal.

Tier 10: own HP as minimum, 2500 (3000 tds)

Tier 9: 2100 dmg (2500 tds)

Tier 8: 1750 dmg (2000 tds)

Tier 7: 1350 dmg

Tier 6:1000 dmg

tier 5; 750 dmg

I feel these are reasonable goals for your number of games ( insanely high actually for newbie , but you are ambitious ;) ) and fit around rating you desire. If you manage that, your winratio should follow and be around 55% at least. Its hard to give exact numbers and its subjective, but i  hope it still helps.

You are way too much obsessed with irrelevant numbers. Only 2 numbers you should care about are winratio and average damage. Both german meds and french heavies are campy kind of tanks, same for wafflefragers. Old habits should still work with them  i guess.

Hard to tell about exact rating, but try average damage goal.

Tier 10: own HP as minimum, 2500 (3000 tds)

Tier 9: 2100 dmg (2500 tds)

Tier 8: 1750 dmg (2000 tds)

Tier 7: 1350 dmg

Tier 6:1000 dmg

tier 5; 750 dmg

I feel these are reasonable goals for your number of games ( insanely high actually for newbie , but you are ambitious ;) ) and fit around rating you desire. If you manage that, your winratio should follow and be atound 55% at least. Its hard to give exact numbers and its subjective, but i  hope it still helps.

I'd agree with those numbers for a "great player" and will defiantly lead to a good w/r and demonstrate a solid understanding of tanks.  That being said I'd say the following numbers are probably closer for unicums (not counting that shameless dmg whore kewie)

Tier 10: 3000+

Tier 9:   2500-3000

Tier 8:   2000-2500

Tier 7:   1600-1800

Tier 6:   1300-1500

Tier 5:   900-1000

Obviously there will be some variation based on tank type, meds may have less dmg and tds more.  Also, people who CW a lot in their T10s will have lowish dpg (i.e. my Leo 1 is 3200 ish pubbing and 2000 ish CWing, so average is around 2850-2900 depending on the day)

All that being said, spend some serious time on this forum reading guides, some guys have produced some quite excellent work.  Also, don't be disappointed if you don't reach unicum, just being green makes you better than 80% of the player base, and there is nothing wrong with that.  Heck, the heart of most good clans are blues and greens, there just aren't enough purples to go around.  Besides, I'd rather have a green who is a team player and competent player than a purple who just stat pads at the team's expense. 

Also a tip: generally speaking, playing 50 - 60 rounds per day is too much. Few people can stay focused for so long and you will start making mistakes. Also, lots of games usually means you are not staying alive long enough.

Believe me, I'm speaking from experience...

Tito

wow dude you hit the nail on the head, i am a recovered anxiety sufferer so my concentration is just comming back and that is exacly what i realized, i play even when i am tired and i dont have the patiencce, which costs me in game, i also can manage 1.8K DMG quite great, i found my biggest problem is getting to close to the danger zone encounters, and costing me to die early at 32% rate, thank you guys appreciate it. And yes i have to cut back some serious gamming even though i am addicted, anyways i start some work next week so should see some good stuff, thank you guys really thoughtfull and i appreciate all the knowledge