fishtrl

How [do I] E50

Question

How [do I] E50

So I have had the E50 research for a while but just purchased it.  I am a bit rusty on playing the German med. Line and I need a refresher.  I currently do not have the turret/10.5.  I will start with my assumptions and let you guys fill in the rest.

1. Equip; Vert Stab. Rammer, vents(?).    repair, first aid, f.e.
  2. Perks:
    1. Co; 6th, eagle eye, repair
    2. Gun; Dead eye, snap shot, repair
    3. Driver; Controlled impact, Smooth ride, clutch Braking
    4. Radio; Situational Aware, Repair, F.F.
    5. Load; Safe sto. Adren rush, repair.
  3. Fighting at mid-long range.  Start out getting taxing shots on early routes. Relocate to flanking/support positioning as needed.
  4. Ramming as last resort/clean up mode on a weak flank.
  5. I do not snipe frontally much as pen is too low.  Does this change with 10.5?  I assume not.

Is it viable to fight in the city in t10 battles?  Is the E50 able to side scrape in this situation effectively.  I assume not and have not tried it.  I was also curious if I should upgrade the turret or get the 8.8 L100 first?  Let me know your thoughts and any crits you have.

<Zero seven>

7 answers to this question

My impressions on the E50 are outdated, though its my most played tank from back in the time when it was the german top tier med.

- the L100 is wasted XP, dont even research it if you are going for the E50M. Use prem shells on the 8.8 if you have to ... .
- I used Optics, Vents and Rammer back than, not sure if the gun changed though. So maybe stabi is needed now not sure. I like to do my own spotting, because you can count on the fact, that pubbies will suicide scout or protect arti with T71, Batchat and chinese lights.

- use gold fire-ex

- how far developed is your crew? 1st priority is repair + 6th sense. Eagle Eye is total BS

• Co; 6th, repair, recon, camo
  • Gun; repair, snap shot, deadeye/camo
  • Driver; repair, preventaintive maintance (reskill on E50M - get rid of it), clutch bracking, smooth ride, camo
  • Radio; repair, Situational Aware, camo
  • Load; repair., Safe sto., camo,

my E50M crew

e50mcrewkdjs7.jpg

- you have no buisness scouting, regardless of what the idiots in your team demand. Only do active scouting if there is no other way and enemy scouts (incl bats and t62 are dealed with).

- ramming is bad in most cases. sure its fun to take 900 HP of a Batchat, but after that you reached 0 km/h and often lose a track... and a standing med is often a dead med. And the E50 is easy to hit anyway. 

- sidescraping works against 220mm pen guns to some extend, but good players will shot your turret front when you aim at them (same problem as with Maus), taking out commander and gunner

As I already said I m not up to date on the E50, so I ll leave the rest to other people.

Edit:

Just checked the current E50 research/stats - as long as you dont have the 10.5 use V-Stab instead of Optics. They nerfed the aim times ... holy shit. On the other hand 2.1s aimtime on the 10.5 is very good - u dont need aiming helps like stabi with it, so Optics is still a good choice.

- use gold fire-ex

- how far developed is your crew? 1st priority is repair + 6th sense. Eagle Eye is total BS

I do use Auto FE.  I should have clarified.  When I have a surplus of credits I have Large repair&first aid but currently trying to buy 2 tier 10s.

Crew is ~75% on third skill.  should I get BiA now or wait till 4th?

Edit:

Just checked the current E50 research/stats - as long as you dont have the 10.5 use V-Stab instead of Optics. They nerfed the aim times ... holy shit. On the other hand 2.1s aimtime on the 10.5 is very good - u dont need aiming helps like stabi with it, so Optics is still a good choice.

I will probably use optics once I have the 10.5.  Currently I have to shoot more at the sides (do tend to shoot a lot of gold) and the vert stab helps with the peek-shoot-back.  What is your 3 pref. equipment set?

BIA is something for autoloaders, arti and crews like mine. Stick with normal skills - retrain when you finished 4th skill

"I used Optics, Vents and Rammer"

As long as you dont have the 10.5 use Stabi instead of Optics

How [do I] E50

I was a terrible E-50 commander.  Its a tank I struggled in, a role I struggle in, and I hate germans to boot.  So take this with a grain of salt...

1.  Vert / Rammer / Optics

2.  6th + repair, BIA, camo.  Bring a fire ext.

Early game, you want to exploit view range.  The problem with the E-50 is awful camo -- if you fire within 400, you will almost certainly be lit and take fire in return.  You have to liberally abuse low view range tanks, fire beyond 445, and so on to leverage your accurate gun.  To do this, you need to know a good bit about maps and draw range.  Read up.

You are not a scout, will never scout, and shouldn't try.  Ramming is likewise lulzy but useless.  You will usually take back at least 2/3rds of what you dish out, and that's just not efficient.  Save your epic rams for moments like this:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/172040-that-moment-when-playing-german-suddenly-was-worth-it/

You have about 300 effective upper plate (~225 lower), 185 mantlet, and reasonably decent ability to angle/hide weak points.  At long range, this means if you face up you can bounce a lot of shots.  In a brawl, it of course depends but you can bully a lot of lesser tanks.  This is best used in the end game, using your HP and good bounces to finish off the last few weakened targets.  You should NEVER be the first into a brawl, or even trying to get a hill or something first.  Other tanks are better suited.  The E-50 snipes early, then finishes weakened targets.

So basically:

- View range snipe/damage farm.  Watch kewei for examples.

- Angle your armor, bounce shots when needed.  Watch camador for examples.

- Bully lesser tanks, eliminate weakened tanks, make good clutch plays to mop up.

- Avoid brawls, peekaboom only against lesser opponents

- Never scout, play more conservatively than a typical medium

Opportunistic

You have about 300 effective upper plate (~225 lower), 185 mantlet, and reasonably decent ability to angle/hide weak points.  At long range, this means if you face up you can bounce a lot of shots.  In a brawl, it of course depends but you can bully a lot of lesser tanks.  This is best used in the end game, using your HP and good bounces to finish off the last few weakened targets.  You should NEVER be the first into a brawl, or even trying to get a hill or something first.  Other tanks are better suited.  The E-50 snipes early, then finishes weakened targets.

I knew going into this tank that relocating/falling back was going to be a big part making the gun effective.  Being slightly overextended however turned out to be a bigger issue than with most other meds.  Finding the sweet spot between aggressively effective (which lies between passively out of the fight and overextended) has been my issue.  Not detrimental but spending hp pointlessly or not close enough to deal dmg.

Kewei still uploading on wotreplays?  I have not found any 8.8 other that what you have posted when platooned.  I’ll just watch your mini map and keep searching, but please provide link if I just missed it.

OCD can't deal with purples spreading false info about armour >.>

-UFP is 263/282/300 effective (AP/APCR/HEAT)

-LFP is 155/166/175 effective (AP/APCR/HEAT)

-TL;DR you can count on non-TD guns to bounce on your UFP, LFP is weak against everything tier VIII+ (175 effective at 30 degrees side angle, but if they have decent reflexes, they will shoot your side at this point).

-If you absolutely have to eat a shot from something decently powerful and can't hide LFP/sit at range where it's RNG, sidescraping is your best bet. ~25 degrees of side angle is shallow enough to reliably protect against weak guns, but against e.g. tier VIII meds you might as well go down to 20 degrees (70 degrees impact angle -> ricochets AP/APCR) , as the raw effective armour caps out at 190.