Ruwed

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 - Chris Roberts' MMO Space Combat Simulator

Well, now I feel like a complete idiot.  Terra, can you come help me get my foot out of my mouth?  It's in too deep, and it seems stuck.

Four forward facing size two fixed mounts (so four badgers), A MOTHERFUCKING SIZE FIVE GIMBALL, and the turret is also size two (so badgers in the turret instead of the bulldogs).  Oh, and two size two missile pylons.

I haven't seen where the four fixed cannons are hiding, so I'm curious where the firepower is coming from.  And I still think that the wings need to be thicker and not fold in.  But a size five gimball.  So a size six gun if you take the gimball off.  Isn't size six the same size as some of the smaller ship to ship guns?  So yeah... you've got an Idris/Javelin STS gun on a fighter.

Overall, far better than what I was expecting.  But I'm still not convinced that it's $250 good.

He gets so much love because of the Golden Age. Wing Commander was pretty much a groundbreaking experience for us nerds.

I remember spending the night over at a friends house and us taking turns napping while we installed games from 3.5" floppy disks because they took so long to transfer the data onto his 386 computer. Our programming classes in High School started with Basic and progressed to Turbo Pascal in year 2. I want you to look at games today and then look back at the games of yore and realize that when Wing Commander incorporated Hamill with live action cutscenes, it was unbelievable for us. Our best SF franchise during this era was still Star Wars IV-VI and Return of the Jedi was released in 1983. Hamill was IT for SF, Ford was our action hero from Indiana Jones, and every kid tried to rub one out to Fisher in her slave outfit. In fact, many of us today still make our wives/gf's at least Leia up during Halloween if they know what's good for them.

Chris Roberts is representative of the frontier of video games and thus we associate him with gummi bears, something good.

Flash forward to today, and to address some of the other comments, how much did WG modify the BigWorld engine in the beginning compared to how SC is modifying the CryEngine? It's my understanding that WG didn't actually modify BigWorld, but just used it instead of trying to create theoretical physics for thrusters we don't even have in use today. I mean, SC is based on a lot of theory craft. The Havok engine is also something that WG incoporated into their game, but how much did they actually modify it?

It's pretty intensive, labor wise, to do all that they do. On top of it, I'd say they keep in touch with the base far more than any game I have ever seen. Roberts has his 10 with the Chairman frequently, they attend all of the conventions, and I think they even create their own to keep in touch with the players? I mean, he went to the point of hiring a semi-attractive PR chick to give the gamers a chubby for stuff other than space ships.

Do I think early on they overextended themselves? For sure. He took his idea and let the fans run amok with it and they added a whole hell of a lot. The FPS component wasn't even initially something that was going to be in the game from what I remember. I don't remember seeing anything about it anyways.

They are trying to create a universe as epic in scope and as deep in lore as the Star Wars or Wing Commander universes. My friend writes for RPGs, is a full time professor, and is very well versed in game balance and design for pen and paper games. We're at about 6 months in his development cycle for the 5th edition DnD Module he's writing. Every game session forces him to rethink how his world works against the characters designed in 5th edition. Now, he isn't trying to rush his development, but I can see how something gets tested and tweaked.

Just saying it takes time.

I want to say that back in the day, you could send away for the 5.25" floppys if you didn't have a 3.5 drive, which I didn't. It was 13 disks that came in the mail to install. Glorious Wing Commander action. I think I had a 286 with EGA graphics. Or maybe CGA. I upgraded to EGA for Mechwarrior. 

So long ago!

Well, now I feel like a complete idiot.  Terra, can you come help me get my foot out of my mouth?  It's in too deep, and it seems stuck.

Four forward facing size two fixed mounts (so four badgers), A MOTHERFUCKING SIZE FIVE GIMBALL, and the turret is also size two (so badgers in the turret instead of the bulldogs).  Oh, and two size two missile pylons.

I haven't seen where the four fixed cannons are hiding, so I'm curious where the firepower is coming from.  And I still think that the wings need to be thicker and not fold in.  But a size five gimball.  So a size six gun if you take the gimball off.  Isn't size six the same size as some of the smaller ship to ship guns?  So yeah... you've got an Idris/Javelin STS gun on a fighter.

Overall, far better than what I was expecting.  But I'm still not convinced that it's $250 good.

Hey, I ain't gonna say I told you so.  I do agree that some stats look off still - size 2 shields and power is a bit... weird, honestly.  I kind of agree on the wing size... I'm on the fence.  I like the folding though, if only for a practical purpose on landing pads and in hangars.  By the looks of it, it's got the widest wingspan already after all.

The four fixed cannons are all in the nose - check the colored renders, you can see the barrels sticking out.  Honestly, that's gonna give this thing a beastly head-on attack.  Unlike the Hornet whose weapons are spread out, all these weapons are on the nose.  If you recall WWII, this played a part in why the BF109s and FW190s were so deadly - with their heaviest armament in the nose, they could hit easier.

But yeah... that cannon.  Jeeeezus.  Also, missile bays have been moved to under the engines, and based on the sample missiles in the new gif... that thing can fit either a lot of them, or a few really hefty ones.  Also, it has an escape pod hidden in there, which is nifty.

I'm a fan.  With the possibilities I have in mind (that won't be too affected by some stat changes), I think it might find a place in my hangar.

Just some quick things @WhichOneIsWill / @Terrachova

You can swap the S5 Gimbal for a S5 gun not a S6 gun. It's a Size 5 item port with a Size 5 Gimbal plugged in reducing the gun port size to 4.

Also, The missiles are still on the top of the Vanguard, the bays on the bottom are for torpedoes. Holoviewer render showcases 2 rotating launchers in each Nacelle which hold 2 torps each for a combined payload of 8 Torps.

Yeah, I noticed the original missiles were still there.

As for the S5 mount, I'm not sure if I ever said it was a size 6 mount with a gimbal, but that was my mistake if I did.  Either way, I'm fairly sure that S4 gimballed cannon is the biggest we've seen yet, on a ship that size.

Yeah, I noticed the original missiles were still there.

As for the S5 mount, I'm not sure if I ever said it was a size 6 mount with a gimbal, but that was my mistake if I did.  Either way, I'm fairly sure that S4 gimballed cannon is the biggest we've seen yet, on a ship that size.

You didn't, WhichOneIsWill did. Sorry, my multiquote was refusing to work right so my reply is confusing as hell.

/apologies 

Its fine, I'm known to make mistakes as well.

Either way, Vanguard be pretty, Vanguard be mine.

Oh, sorry, I mean Bullguard.  Or Vandog if you prefer.

I gotta find the post on the Vanguard. I read that the reason there is size 2 shield and power plant is because there are 2 of each on that ship. It is suppose to be durable ship with built in redundancy.

I gotta find the post on the Vanguard. I read that the reason there is size 2 shield and power plant is because there are 2 of each on that ship. It is suppose to be durable ship with built in redundancy.

Yeah, I remember reading that.  That would honestly be pretty damn awesome.  Think about it... a layer of shields to hold while the one that's down recharges.  

that's the general point of the entire ship even though the stats page still only shows 1 s2 power plant. According to the description there are supposed to be 2 engines, 2 power plants, and 2 shields. Think of it almost as if each Nacelle is it's own self contained ship

Well, episode 39 of AtV came out today.

We finally know why the FPS module's been held up: for a new level, a futuristic sports arena that we didn't even know we wanted, that's how awesome it is. Seriously though, the FPS is already two months delayed, just give us he original level and put the sports arena out next patch or something.

On a lighter note, the first part of multicrew ships will be coming out with the next patch (which I have on good faith is coming Soon. The turrets for the Super Hornet, Cutlass, and Gladiator will be able to be operated by a second person. Oh, yeah, did I remember to say that the Gladiator will be flight ready next patch? How long before someone manages to blow up the terraformers on Broken Moon?

Gamescom tickets go on sale tomorrow. No idea how much.

And apparently the tutorial level is experiencing great progress.

mang I tried to join some funny orgs with funny pictures, but they got all offended that I had a pbkac affiliation.  Supposedly I'm a goon now  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  

Yeah the newest build is interesting.  Want to finally use the turret on my cutlass :v. 

Well, episode 39 of AtV came out today.

We finally know why the FPS module's been held up: for a new level, a futuristic sports arena that we didn't even know we wanted, that's how awesome it is. Seriously though, the FPS is already two months delayed, just give us he original level and put the sports arena out next patch or something.

On a lighter note, the first part of multicrew ships will be coming out with the next patch (which I have on good faith is coming Soon. The turrets for the Super Hornet, Cutlass, and Gladiator will be able to be operated by a second person. Oh, yeah, did I remember to say that the Gladiator will be flight ready next patch? How long before someone manages to blow up the terraformers on Broken Moon?

Gamescom tickets go on sale tomorrow. No idea how much.

And apparently the tutorial level is experiencing great progress.

The turrets are already functional in freeflight on the PTU, if you wanna check it out early!

The turrets are already functional in freeflight on the PTU, if you wanna check it out early!

Unfortunately, my campus internet hates Chris Roberts.  I can't do any multiplayer, and PTU access is iffy at best.

So RSI released info about the MISC Hull series of cargo transports. As part of that, they also released some info about how we will work with cargo. All I know is I wouldn't mind being a space trucker. Soooo tempted to get a Hull B.

Yeah, instantly reminded me of that.  Gonna pass though, they don't just tickle me like the Carrack and Vanguard did.

Yeah, instantly reminded me of that.  Gonna pass though, they don't just tickle me like the Carrack and Vanguard did.

I wanted a Vanguard so bad... But the prices. At least the Hull A and B are not overly expensive. I think I might be happier in that area of game play. If they really get the scope of SC commerce similar to EVE, it will be great. I lived in EVE for years running the market and logistics. I know.... it's weird. It feeds my numbers OCD and keeps it in check.

I'll check back on this thread in 2 years. I get that game devolpment takes time. But the amount of money people have thrown at this game and what's been released seems inconsistent to me (an outsider) personally the game is far to large in scope an features to be a realistic goal. But I'll happily be prove wrong.

So, Alpha 2.0 is been released.

Downloaded and installed it

Tried to play it.

"server is full"

"unlocalised error"

FML.

Yeah, I managed to get on for about 15 minutes earlier today.  Spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what the new controls were, five minutes flying around going "ooh pretty," and then it crashed.  When I tried to get back on I got the all instances are full error, and by that point I needed to get back to studying for finals.

Can't wait to give it a full twirl once my exams are done, I'm really liking what I see so far.

i was trying to open the airlock to get to my avenger but it wasn't opening so i walked out of it and fell through the floor, which was fine as it ment i could eva to my avenger. >.>

which once i was in and flying i acidently got out of my seat and fell through the floor >.>

I just saw some articles on Star Citizen. Been looking through their site and others.

Big question: Is there a non-24/7 mode? I swore off any and all 24/7 games long ago. One thing that keeps me in WG's games is that you're in and out for as short a time or as long a time as you want; one battle for 10-20 minutes or 100s of battles for 10 hours if you want, but nothing makes you have to come in at any specific time.

Also, is it freemium? I'd love to give it a try but not pay until I know that I like it (if I do; vids on YT look amazing). Saying that, I did see somewhere that those already in-game (dunno who specifically) can refer others and receive some in-game stuff. Happy to be a referral for someone if they want to do so (so long as I don't have to pay anything yet). Send me a PM if anyone wants to.

TIA.