Ruwed

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 - Chris Roberts' MMO Space Combat Simulator

I just saw some articles on Star Citizen. Been looking through their site and others.

Big question: Is there a non-24/7 mode? I swore off any and all 24/7 games long ago. One thing that keeps me in WG's games is that you're in and out for as short a time or as long a time as you want; one battle for 10-20 minutes or 100s of battles for 10 hours if you want, but nothing makes you have to come in at any specific time.

Also, is it freemium? I'd love to give it a try but not pay until I know that I like it (if I do; vids on YT look amazing). Saying that, I did see somewhere that those already in-game (dunno who specifically) can refer others and receive some in-game stuff. Happy to be a referral for someone if they want to do so (so long as I don't have to pay anything yet). Send me a PM if anyone wants to.

TIA.

I imagine the PU will be a lot like EVE, i.e. if you're not tied up in any of the major orgs it'll be pretty much whatever you want whenever you want for however long you want.  Though do take that with a grain of salt, considering we don't know yet what the PU will be exactly like.  But if the 2.0 release is any indication, I can complete a "go to this relay and press F to pay respects repair it" mission in about 10-15 minutes.  Also, the game has a single-player campaign in addition to the persistent universe.

It's not freemium, there is an entry cost (right now I do believe that to get in is $50, of which $45 gets you your choice of starter ship, a little bit of cash, and 3 months of ship insurance when the game goes live; $5 is if I remember correctly the cost of the pass you need to get into the game right now).  However, I will point out that one, it'll only get more expensive to buy in as time goes on (I think the plan is buying the game itself will be $60 when it releases, and it only gets you a starter ship - none of the fancy add-ons), and two is that there are "free fly" weeks about once a month or so that opens up certain ships to everyone, regardless if they purchased the ships or not.

I just saw some articles on Star Citizen. Been looking through their site and others.

Big question: Is there a non-24/7 mode? I swore off any and all 24/7 games long ago. One thing that keeps me in WG's games is that you're in and out for as short a time or as long a time as you want; one battle for 10-20 minutes or 100s of battles for 10 hours if you want, but nothing makes you have to come in at any specific time.

Also, is it freemium? I'd love to give it a try but not pay until I know that I like it (if I do; vids on YT look amazing). Saying that, I did see somewhere that those already in-game (dunno who specifically) can refer others and receive some in-game stuff. Happy to be a referral for someone if they want to do so (so long as I don't have to pay anything yet). Send me a PM if anyone wants to.

TIA.

Honestly, what is currently there is pretty much fuck all. I would strongly recommend you NOT spend money on Star Citizen. There is literally nothing to keep your interest in the games current state. A huge amount of the promised content simply does not exist in-game yet. For me, this is pretty damning. They can keep adding shit to their feature list but unless it actually lands up in the game it's meaningless.

Maybe take another look in 6 months but for now, save your money for a game that is something more than glorified tech demo.

I do feel the need to point out that "fuck all" consists of quite a bit of content.

For example, last night me and a couple buddies got together.  We didn't want to take any of our single seat fighters out, so we waited a little bit until someone spawned in their retaliator heavy bomber, which we then promptly stole and flew away with, laughing maniacally.  Then we flew over to a comm array under attack by pirates, blew them up, then EVA'd out of our new ship to conduct repairs.  Once repairs were finished, we got hired by a security team to answer a distress beacon, which turned out to be more pirates attacking a stranded freighter.  Then we needed to go to a service station to refuel and rearm.  After about a half hour of flying around blowing stuff up, we decided we wanted to do some PvP.  Alright, no problem, just fly on over to the FPS arena, pick up some rifles, and go to town on whoever happened to be there.

All told, we spent about two hours last night having an absolute blast, and that was just on one part of the game.  There's also a strict dogfighting simulator and a racing simulator for those interested.  We're definitely going back for more, and truth be told if this is just a tech demo, I can't wait for the actual thing.

This is content that *just* entered the game. Prior to this weekend there really was literally fuck all content. Not there is a little bit less than fuck all content.

Trying to pretend the Dogfighting module and Racing module are anything other than shitty ass tech demos is naive.

Well the other thing is that if this game is ever released in anything close to a version that it's adherents imagine, it will be utterly impossible to overcome the massive head start that the early adopters will have. So either way, I don't think there's any point in getting involved in the game at this point. 

TIA.

There is going to be a offline game as part of the package, and you will be able to play against others in arena style things, but the main game will be 24/7 though you don't need to be on all the time nor would you need to log in when you didn't want to.

the game is going to be like gw2 where you buy the game then can play it at no other cost, there will be a limited cahs shop that will let you buy stuff you can get in game as well.

Still unable to log in. Ugh.

I think there is somethign wrong with their auth server. I get in to some of the PU test areas right after the other one denys me. But then it'll have an auth issue while I'm playing.

I think there is somethign wrong with their auth server. I get in to some of the PU test areas right after the other one denys me. But then it'll have an auth issue while I'm playing.

I just uninstalled. Can't be bothered.

So how's this game coming along? I heard that Alpha 2.2 came out in January, what's it looking like these days? 

well whatever happens CIG is an honest company. they promised that all the money they received before the game is in a released state will be put back into the game. plus i'm becoming more confidant that the MMO will eventually have more content then elite and that is at least something.

3 hours ago, MajorStewie said:

well whatever happens CIG is an honest company. they promised that all the money they received before the game is in a released state will be put back into the game. plus i'm becoming more confidant that the MMO will eventually have more content then elite and that is at least something.

Hmmmmm, you've played recently. Anything to share?

On 15/03/2016 at 1:48 AM, MajorStewie said:

well whatever happens CIG is an honest company. they promised that all the money they received before the game is in a released state will be put back into the game.

If there's one thing i've learned from gaming is that you don't trust developer's promises.

4 hours ago, Shackram said:

If there's one thing i've learned from gaming is that you don't trust developer's promises.

Mmmmm, and I'm not really sure I'd called CIG an honest company...

Also, as a developer, I would concur with your assessment of the trustworthiness of promises delivered by developers.

Okay, as someone who has not invested in neither of games mentioned above, but having some interest on what is going on, I wanted to say...

Start Citizen seems like some hard hitting stuff (maybe) if it actually gets done. It seems like Star Citizen developers promised people to create product containing everything. Everything!

Can't tell if it's correct comparison, but long ago I had idea to create mod for one of my favourite games. I had ideas and just a slight idea how to make it. But when facing reality on how it is actually is done, I couldn't do it.

And SC just kinda seems that same way in my eyes. They promised a lot, they made huge ambitions and now they are struggling to make all of it happen. And now thing just looks like my country politics. You pay taxes(support) but it all goes into nothing.

If here are any fanbois of that thing, yeah, you can hate me, I can't give a fuck.

23 hours ago, punishersal said:

i can't delete this thing ignore post. it won't even go away when i make a 2nd post and i can't type outside of this box.
well i haven't played it yet because its still a buggy mess but from what i read and see 

things are coming along and they are doing a decent job of staying true to there ambitions. on the PTU they have this comm array system and if you disable them you can commit crimes. they also have a crude criminal system that has 5 levels and one you get to lvl 5 they kick you from the server but they say later on if you die and your a lvl 5 criminal you get sent to jail and you have to break out or some other things. so based on these starting points of gameplay mechanics things could develop to be pretty good.

That planetary landing video is still just a tech demo though. It definitely looks neat though...

I'm starting to have second thoughts about this whole Star Citizen thing. 

Meh, I'm not worried at this point. But then I do think I have more realistic expectatons of the timeframe it would take to make than most people.
Of course it was never going to be finished in 2015. Games this size needs 5-6 years to finish, which would put release into 2017-2018.

They've also made rather decent progress since the new year, with patches coming out somewhat regularely, introducing new content and showing of their progress on stuff yet in the future.

Gameplay. It's occasionally a bit buggy, but things seems to get picked up and fixed decently fast, and I've had some rather fun game sessions so far. Incredible how much actual gaming value there can be in the few simple missions they have put it, especially if you can find other players that are up for fighting or being your wingman.

If nothing significantly fun or interesting gets released next year then i'd something is wrong. That's enough time for good content to be released.

13 hours ago, Kilpanic said:

I'm starting to have second thoughts about this whole Star Citizen thing. 

It took you this long?

Laff!

On 7/15/2016 at 6:22 AM, OOPMan said:

It took you this long?

No. I probably should have been more sarcastic in this thread. 

Mwah, spent 60 dollars on it last year for a ship and the single player when it comes out. Atm I had a few hours of enjoyment and did some stuff in the demo's, which is already more entertainment than what I got out of The Division (or rather the fuck all for my 60 dollars game). If it fails I had enough entertainment over it's developement cylce because the whole behind the scenes stuff is already entertaining enough as it is. I never got the guys investing like 1000 bucks on an idea though. Then again the money I put in WGs pocket over the 6 years I played world of artillery...

If the game actually does what it says and comes out around q1 2018 it will be even better, in that case I chose wisely I guess.