Ruwed

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 - Chris Roberts' MMO Space Combat Simulator

I don't think any game that ever comes out manages to "do what it says", largely because that's just software development :-/

After i built my new rig I redownloaded it since alpha 2.4.1 came out and apparently there's an actual mini persistent universe now or some shit.

It's not bad. Not great, but not bad (and it's still an "alpha" lol)

There's very little to actually do outside of the same 3 missions over and over again to grind credits, or just walk around the environments/shoot people on a certain station or in space to get lower security status.  It's also probably still pretty unoptimized since in most environments in the persistent universe I can barely pull 60 fps at all on a GTX 1080 + i7 6700k with 16GB DDR4, which was to be expected because of the whole cryengine supermaxturbohighdetail thing they've got going on.  There's more than a few bugs but only a couple that make the game literally unplayable, and the initial loading to get into the PU takes fucking ages.

But hey, you can finally fly your fucking spaceship outside of the racing/swarm modes, AND multi-crew ships apparently work now (though I don't own any because i have no friends).  You can also die if you forgot to put on a spacesuit/your helmet before activating the airlock and that's pretty funny the first time it happens to someone who isn't you. Combat in the NPC's is kinda fun, even if they're dumb as a box of rocks; I haven't tried actual PvP yet since the weapons i have are trash and re-arming/refueling is expensive enough that I can't really buy new ones yet.

Basically, there's progress being made, but I wouldn't hold your breath for a full release anytime before 2018, not that anyone was expecting a release before 2018 anyways.

2 hours ago, Assassin7 said:

so is this game even a thing yet?

its only been like 3+ years since it was first shown. 

Nope.avi

Just now, OOPMan said:

Nope.avi

lol. I assume all the hype is dead as well since I've seen absolutely nothing on it in the last like 6 months+

On the plus side, No Man's Sky is being released on August 12 and is completed, more than Scam Citizen can say for the next few years :disco:

Have pretty good hopes for that one :3

9 hours ago, Kitten said:

On the plus side, No Man's Sky is being released on August 12 and is completed, more than Scam Citizen can say for the next few years :disco:

Have pretty good hopes for that one :3

ikr.... yet another thing (elite dangerous) to tide us over until star citizen gets release 20-never

Just now, An_Arty_Player_Hits_You said:

ikr.... yet another thing (elite dangerous) to tide us over until star citizen gets release 20-never

I liked Elite a lot but there wasn't that much to do in it last time I played, pre-dlc. No Man's Sky seems like an upgrade in that there's always a challenge with every new world. Meeting alien species, having to learn their language through exploration, these are pretty cool (amongst other features). Hopefully there's incentive to keep traveling the universe even after reaching the center!

10 hours ago, An_Arty_Player_Hits_You said:

7e5d9c4161.jpg

thinking about uninstalling SC for space

Seems like a no-brainer to me...

lol all this hype about no man's sky is unwarranted it looks very similar to elite dangerous/spore so you can expect a pretty similar experience. I think there is still some decent hope for star citizen left it happens frequently the games takes 5+ years to develop and if CIG is simply just taking its sweet time to develop the perfect game and we get a good one by the end of it then all will be fine.

The big thing coming from No Man's Sky is the procedurally generated galaxy, if successful that really throws open the door on size limitations for future games. I doubt there will be enough functioning content to actually keep things interesting over time, but the idea is good.

As for SC it seems like too much was bitten off at once. Instead of focusing on one specific thing at a time, Roberts appears to be jumping all over the place, leading to all the concepts being thrown about and all the basic pre-alpha component builds (i.e. the Arena) coming out haphazardly, but with no actual game to show for it. CIG should have seriously on a basic game akin to Elite, released and tweaked that, and then got into all the extra goodies being promised left right and centre.

The true question right now is whether Tool will release a new album before SC is completed :P

2 hours ago, MajorStewie said:

lol all this hype about no man's sky is unwarranted it looks very similar to elite dangerous/spore so you can expect a pretty similar experience. I think there is still some decent hope for star citizen left it happens frequently the games takes 5+ years to develop and if CIG is simply just taking its sweet time to develop the perfect game and we get a good one by the end of it then all will be fine.

5+ year games are not that frequent and the longer a project goes in the higher chance it has of becoming stuck in development hell. 

People with software development experience is looking at SC as the quintessential example of how to scam people into funding someones Porsche garage and NOT a good software development model.

People without said experience seem to think that just wishing on a star and throwing money at the problem will magically produce results.

1 hour ago, Covalent said:

Roberts appears to be jumping all over the place, leading to all the concepts being thrown about and all the basic pre-alpha component builds (i.e. the Arena) coming out haphazardly, but with no actual game to show for it. CIG should have seriously on a basic game akin to Elite, released and tweaked that, and then got into all the extra goodies being promised left right and centre.

None of this should come as a surprise. Chris Roberts hadn't worked in the software industry for roughly a decade when he decided to start SC. After failing to produce anything of value in Hollywood and given his similarly weak track record in the games industry (The last genuinely good games he worked on where made in the 90s and even then his taste for grandiose bullshit was evident with the FMV bollocks in WC3) I have to question the sanity of anyone who still believes SC will be anything other than a high-budget version of Battlecruiser 3000 (I.e. A buggy wreck).

7 hours ago, OOPMan said:

5+ year games are not that frequent and the longer a project goes in the higher chance it has of becoming stuck in development hell. 

People with software development experience is looking at SC as the quintessential example of how to scam people into funding someones Porsche garage and NOT a good software development model.

People without said experience seem to think that just wishing on a star and throwing money at the problem will magically produce results.

None of this should come as a surprise. Chris Roberts hadn't worked in the software industry for roughly a decade when he decided to start SC. After failing to produce anything of value in Hollywood and given his similarly weak track record in the games industry (The last genuinely good games he worked on where made in the 90s and even then his taste for grandiose bullshit was evident with the FMV bollocks in WC3) I have to question the sanity of anyone who still believes SC will be anything other than a high-budget version of Battlecruiser 3000 (I.e. A buggy wreck).

Recently chris roberts have said that even though elite dangerous is out now by the time star citizen comes out it will have a lot more features than elite dangerous has because cig is developing the game to support all those features now while it will take a lot longer for elite dangerous to make the game star citizen is making because they are doing it dlc style instead of doing it all in one shot.

54 minutes ago, MajorStewie said:

Recently chris roberts have said that even though elite dangerous is out now by the time star citizen comes out it will have a lot more features than elite dangerous has because cig is developing the game to support all those features now while it will take a lot longer for elite dangerous to make the game star citizen is making because they are doing it dlc style instead of doing it all in one shot.

Now you see, that right there is some righteous bullshit.

In software development, we have a saying: "Release early, release often".

What this means is that instead of cooking your project in the software development stewing project for years and years in a vain attempt to create the "perfect" product it is far better to get the basic project done and out the door then continue to work on it, iterating on the code to gradually improve it and introduce the features you want to have in the long run.

Now, to be fair, both ED *and* SC have taken this approach because both have versions out now and both are iterating on those versions to add new content. However as a developer I question SC's commitment to this model of software development because whereas ED largely hit their timelines for getting their initial product into consumer hands, SC has largely failed to do this. It's nice that they're releasing stuff *now* but it's important not to forget that they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind schedule and that tells me that their development process is not running smoothly. 

People like to say ED is wide as the sea, deep as a pond but this is not actually a problem because it's entirely expected as part of the process by which they're developing their game. Their plan has always been to initially deliver a wide, shallow pond but continue to fill it with water until it is a wide, deep sea.

The issue with SC is that they're saying they will deliver a wide, deep sea and in the meantime we should play in this little beach they built that is essentially a showroom for their ideas of what will be in their sea when the finally finish digging the hole down to the depth of the Marianas Trench and filling it with water.

Your faith in CIG is touching but it's also rather dangerous. Software development is not magic and coders like myself and the guys working at CIG and Frontier are not wizards. Everything we do takes time and has trade-offs. Getting good software out the door on time is about making the right trade-offs and spending your time wisely. Frontier have illustrated, and continue to illustrate through their addition of content to ED, that they have a good handle on this. They have a 10 year plan and based on their current deliveries I'm reasonably certain they'll deliver on that plan. CIG , on the other hand, have illustrated through their constant delays, noisy internet politics and weak delivery that they do not.

It doesn't make me happy to say it, but based on my real-world experience in software CIG seems like a company which is lurching from one problem to the next and that is not a good recipe for development.

On a final note, please do not take the things Chris Roberts says as having much meaning. He is not one of the people actually making the game, he is basically just they guy at the top of the pyramid shouting and dancing. I'm pretty sure you, me and everyone else has worked for at least one employer with a big-mouth boss at the top who makes wild statements and commitments that people at the bottom mutter darkly about while working overtime for months to make the wild claims happen...

6 hours ago, MajorStewie said:

Commas, not even once. :doge:

5 minutes ago, An_Arty_Player_Hits_You said:

d04e0adc36.png

well rip..... yet another space game I ended up not buying.... time to wait for Star Citizen to release 20NEVER

Actually you're kinda late on the whole SP-MP thing so there's really no excuse for complaining now?

But anyways, refunding a game without even playing it for the 2-hour window Steam provides seems a little extreme :-)

Just now, OOPMan said:

Actually you're kinda late on the whole SP-MP thing so there's really no excuse for complaining now?

But anyways, refunding a game without even playing it for the 2-hour window Steam provides seems a little extreme :-)

ikr, I AM late to the sp mp thing =3, I didn't look much into the game, and went pretty blind, but heard a lot of controversy... I also went to friends place to play it for about 5 hours myself in addition to watching some people marathon streaming it to get as far/close to the Center as possible and then deliberated my judgement until now, I just wanted to have some slight review/note for the relatively useless function of the notes part of the refund process. As per the gameplay reason, I didn't think it'd be much worthwhile of my time per buck of the game

Just now, An_Arty_Player_Hits_You said:

I didn't think it'd be much worthwhile of my time per buck of the game

Man, if I thought that way I wouldn't have the hideously obese Steam library I have :-)

Just now, OOPMan said:

Man, if I thought that way I wouldn't have the hideously obese Steam library I have :-)

IKR... and all them humble bundles but never play anything in them... ik that feel =3

1 minute ago, An_Arty_Player_Hits_You said:

IKR... and all them humble bundles but never play anything in them... ik that feel =3

I don't really mind. Supporting someones else's life as a game developer is a surrogate for me never having had the masochistic tendencies to get into that section of the field myself.

Don't know if it was posted here...

Accordingly, you agree that any unearned portion of your Pledge shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has failed to deliver the relevant pledge items and/or the Game to you within eighteen (18) months after the estimated delivery date.

Now, however, the new ToS states that the game needs to have ceased development and it has removed any reference to the 18 month time limit, effectively meaning that as long as developer Cloud Imperium Games says it is working on the game then backers who have agreed to this new ToS can't request a refund:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/06/20/star-citizen-changes-terms-of-service-to-make-it-more-difficult-to-get-a-refund