Ruwed

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 - Chris Roberts' MMO Space Combat Simulator

5 hours ago, punishersal said:

Don't know if it was posted here...

That was mentioned in a link a posted a while back, of someone that got a refund.

Is it just me or was the video encoded really poorly. It looks like they forgot to run it through a detelecine (https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Telecine) filter, which is fucking stupid...

Otherwise, looks neat.

Re-downloaded SC again today. Still takes forever to load into maps, still can't get into Port Olisar (All instances busy). Got to load into ArcCorp 18 this time. Pretty but also pretty pointless, there doesn't seem to be anything to do there (Although I didn't manage to glitch through the rails and commit suicide in the depths below...)

9 hours ago, NightmareMk9 said:

I played 2.5 recently and it still felt pretty ropey to me. At one point I was told I was getting low FPS because the framerate on my system was being messed with due to stuttering on the server? Wat? That's pretty obscene.

Anyways, flew around a bit and then managed to destroy my ship by mistake and now I can't do jack shit in the PU so I uninstalled.

“There were, I think, two purges at the time I was there that were anywhere from six to maybe fifteen [people],” a source told me. “Some I felt were deserved and some were absolutely not.
“The way they did it the last time was horrible. Other places where I've been laid off, or been there during lay-offs, they usually have two meetings. Everyone gets an invite to one of the two meetings. You don't know if you're in the meeting of the people who are being laid off or the people who aren't. It's actually become a joke within the industry: it's like being led into a room and being shot in the back of the head – you never knew that it was going to happen. But, at CIG, they set up in one of the offices and they called people in over a period of about six hours.

“You had no idea if you were going to be called but everyone who got called in got shot in the back of the head. So there was this high amount of anxiety where your supervisor is coming over and assuring you that he's pretty sure that you're safe, but even he doesn't know. Then the guy next to you gets called into the meeting and you lock eyes with him and there's that look of 'Oh, man, I'm so sorry.' It's the worst way you could have handled lay-offs. They didn't do it to cause anxiety, but I was surprised. I'd never seen it done that way.”

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen
I never doubted they screwed up and maybe wasted millions but they still might pull it off. As long as they got the money to keep developing for the next year or two I think we should see a lot of stuff.

3 hours ago, Shackram said:

Indeed. I am downloading 2.6 now to see how this new engine looks. I guess it Lumberyard is a fork of CryEngine they probably had to do less re-tooling than one would expect...

10 hours ago, OOPMan said:

Indeed. I am downloading 2.6 now to see how this new engine looks. I guess it Lumberyard is a fork of CryEngine they probably had to do less re-tooling than one would expect...

Another 2 years down the road "SC will be moving to the Unity engine"

22 hours ago, Shackram said:

Another 2 years down the road "SC will be moving to the Unity engine"

I highly doubt that. Moving to Unity would actually entail changing everything whereas moving from CryEngine to Lumberyard is more like staying on the same engine but getting a bunch of cloud bells and whistles. I think basically they've realised they need to do what Frontier already did with ED and leverage the cloud in order to run their server-side shit at a good clip.

Tried Star Marine. Because I'm lazy, just going to copy-pasta what I said on Discord:

[3:52 PM] OOPMan: While I have a few seconds I guess I will try firing up Star Marine

[3:59 PM] OOPMan: Wow

[3:59 PM] OOPMan: Star Marine is complete garbage

[3:59 PM] OOPMan: The movement in it is just.....wring

[3:59 PM] OOPMan: wrong

[4:00 PM] OOPMan: When walking, you feel like a 95 year old with a cane

[4:00 PM] OOPMan: It's that slow

[4:00 PM] OOPMan: When running you feel like walk speed in other games (Doom, The Division, SW2, etc)

[4:00 PM] OOPMan: Visually it looks okay

[4:00 PM] OOPMan: But the FPS counter rarely hits 60 and usually hoevers around 40 for me

[4:00 PM] OOPMan: Which is pretty garbage

[4:01 PM] OOPMan: And the gameplay feels...bad

[4:01 PM] OOPMan: Good job CIG!

[4:01 PM] OOPMan: It took you a few year but you made one of the worst shooter demos I've played in years

[4:01 PM] OOPMan: Doom MP is actually superior

[4:01 PM] OOPMan: Holeeeeeeeeeeeee-shit

On 12/27/2016 at 9:02 AM, OOPMan said:

Tried Star Marine. Because I'm lazy, just going to copy-pasta what I said on Discord:

Why is running fast needed?

I used to be so interested in seeing how long they could kick the can down the road and string their backers along. Now that the answer is clearly 'indefinitely', I'm pretty bored of the whole thing. I do feel bad for the remaining faithful, though, who must be gullible to the point of mental illness. 

1 hour ago, Kilpanic said:

I used to be so interested in seeing how long they could kick the can down the road and string their backers along. Now that the answer is clearly 'indefinitely', I'm pretty bored of the whole thing. I do feel bad for the remaining faithful, though, who must be gullible to the point of mental illness. 

Indeed. The SC community is very much an echo chamber now. I could find only a single reddit post complaining about Star Marine being shit. I guess the majority of the people still following the whole debacle are in so deep they'd probably buy land on Mars if CIG was selling it...

4 hours ago, Kilpanic said:

rip me

17 hours ago, MajorStewie said:

rip me

You don't seem particularly invested. Or are you? Don't tell me you bought thousands of dollars worth of ships that will never make it into the game...:-)

I kinda want to make an argument as to how Star Citizen is still fun and all...

But I kinda haven't been able to play ever since they fucked up their optimization eleven months ago.  Seriously, a $1500 machine that used to get 75FPS when 2.0 came out got a whopping 13FPS whenever I tried to get on last week.

Yeah, no.

8 hours ago, OOPMan said:

You don't seem particularly invested. Or are you? Don't tell me you bought thousands of dollars worth of ships that will never make it into the game...:-)

nah only $60. I just think it still has a chance to do fine but I do see it as a problem that it is a chance rather than a guarantee.

8 hours ago, MajorStewie said:

nah only $60. I just think it still has a chance to do fine but I do see it as a problem that it is a chance rather than a guarantee.

Same boat is me then. I also dropped the bare minimum possible for access to everything.

I'm less convinced the project has a snowballs chance in hell but it would be nice if everything came together.

I haven't played any of Star Citizen yet but considering it's still deep in development, releasing playable content seems like a questionable idea.

It kind of reminds me of full playable games with millions of players but somehow still has the "Beta" tag on it as an excuse to say "Yeah well it's not finished yet". We get closer and closer to Star Citizen's eventual release date, but there are people already making their first impressions on their interpretation of "gameplay".

I already purchased a founder pack in like 2013 or something and I don't plan on refunding, I'll be playing the game as soon as it comes out. I'm just worried how much content is unveiled before the actual game comes out and how much of it will influence whether or not people will buy it.

3 hours ago, Aquavolt said:

I haven't played any of Star Citizen yet but considering it's still deep in development, releasing playable content seems like a questionable idea.

It kind of reminds me of full playable games with millions of players but somehow still has the "Beta" tag on it as an excuse to say "Yeah well it's not finished yet". We get closer and closer to Star Citizen's eventual release date, but there are people already making their first impressions on their interpretation of "gameplay".

I already purchased a founder pack in like 2013 or something and I don't plan on refunding, I'll be playing the game as soon as it comes out. I'm just worried how much content is unveiled before the actual game comes out and how much of it will influence whether or not people will buy it.

The issue with a lot of the modules is that based on some stuff I read they're not even representative of the final game, more like just throwaway tech demos.

Which is crazy because the amount of work that's gone into them is pretty extreme.

Unless the put a serious effort into improving their shit though the end result is extremely likely to stink given how awful the current components are.