Salsaheaven

Scared of stats

I decided I'd tryhard today. Then I get this:

iw5Bv2E.png?1

Now I am actually scared to play and ruin my stats. This happens on a smaller scale when I derp after a very good beginning. This stats thing is seriously starting to hinder my WOT play. I do watch my stats, but most of the time I don't really care when I derp out a bit. Sometimes it is kind of an anxiety though...

Anyone feel the same?

Edit: Sorry for German. This is the link you can switch to English: http://www.feldzug.net/stats/salsaheaven

I feel your pain. There are times that I don't want to play after I've had a really good run. This is my opinion on the matter though: Screw your stats.
The stats reflect you as a player, so good stats are a good indication that you're a good player. If you're constantly worried about affecting how your stats look, which are effectively how you look to others, you can cripple your growth as a player. Try to use your stats as a way to track your progression as a player rather than having it define you as a player. That should help ease up on the stress.

That's my opinion on the matter and I hope it helps whether you choose to use it or not.

o7
-Feyth

what's the point of the shiny number if it stops you from enjoying yourself in game?

Seems like a fairly common syndrome though, there've been posts about it in the purple poaster section. Understandable though, for me anyway caring about stats has gone like this:

46%er- LOL FUCK YOUR STATS, I R GUDPLAYER

eventually, realization dawned

60 day hits 1K-  hm, I'm making progress

60 day hits 1200- green?!?! notbad.jpg, but how do I get better?

60 day hits 1500- HORRYSHIET I'M BLUE GETWREKT 

stagnation- how do I play better damn it, I'm feeling frustrated

60 day hits 1700- ZOMG I'M PURPLE!

60 day hits 2000- pad harder pad harder pad harder

then regression- fuck, my stats! I can't play this fucking game because my numbers are dropping! no one will like me or think I'm good!

eventually, 60 day hits 2200- hm, I wonder how high I can go?

60 day hits 2300- wow shit I make so many mistakes, gotta fix them to push it higher!

60 day hits 2400- still making metric shittons of mistakes, but I guess it's okay

and now I'm regressing downward happily without a care in the world!

i've been adopting WORST_ONICHAN_NA's strategy of watching animu in the background while playing tanks now. Even in platoon, I'm often not on TS and just doing my own thing.

Pretty fun.

I know just what you mean, I get the same feeling at times.  I usually keep playing.  When I'm hot I want to ride that as far as I can. My luck with teams will change soon enough.  Last night, Win rater was only 51% but WN7 was 1700, so it felt like a good night until I looked at my stats.

I too am guilty of this...last night we went 14-0 and I didn't even pay attention to it.

But on nights where nothing is clicking I ragequit more often then not.

Luckily things go bad a lot less then they go good.

When I hit 60 day purple back in June I really felt the need to pad harder to force my over all up as fast as possible.  It wasn't long after that, maybe a month or so that I realized that I really wasn't enjoying the game anymore.  I started just playing tanks I enjoyed and finished the grind to the E4.  In the mean time I was just looking for ways to improve.  The game has become fun again.  I rage much less often and I still see steady improvement.  Your stats will improve despite lulls in your game play.  A few bad days isn't going to kill your over all and you'll probably learn something from the experience coming out a bit better on the other side.  At least that has been my experience.

But on nights where nothing is clicking I ragequit more often then not.

I think this is just a smart thing to do.  If I start raging because I'm playing poorly the best thing to do is quit.

Precambrian described my headspace perfectly (although I'm currently just overcoming the "stagnation- how do I play better damn it, I'm feeling frustrated" bit)

Overcoming how? By understanding that the less I freak out about the ebb, the more I get to enjoy the flow.

what's the point of the shiny number if it stops you from enjoying yourself in game?

Seems like a fairly common syndrome though, there've been posts about it in the purple poaster section. Understandable though, for me anyway caring about stats has gone like this:

46%er- LOL FUCK YOUR STATS, I R GUDPLAYER

eventually, realization dawned

60 day hits 1K-  hm, I'm making progress

60 day hits 1200- green?!?! notbad.jpg, but how do I get better?

60 day hits 1500- HORRYSHIET I'M BLUE GETWREKT 

stagnation- how do I play better damn it, I'm feeling frustrated

60 day hits 1700- ZOMG I'M PURPLE!

60 day hits 2000- pad harder pad harder pad harder

then regression- fuck, my stats! I can't play this fucking game because my numbers are dropping! no one will like me or think I'm good!

eventually, 60 day hits 2200- hm, I wonder how high I can go?

60 day hits 2300- wow shit I make so many mistakes, gotta fix them to push it higher!

60 day hits 2400- still making metric shittons of mistakes, but I guess it's okay

and now I'm regressing downward happily without a care in the world!

I'm still at the "stagnation" stage, unfortunately. Flirted with purple 60-day WN7 for a bit, but a couple of bad weekends took care of that. =(

Since my last hiatus i've been caring less and less about stats, because there's little to gain from being deep purple.

Been playing solo more often and grinding some low tier tanks with untrained crews, instead of try-harding with some known strong tanks so my 60d stats took a hit. I try to do my best on the match but don't stress out so much when i lose or when i potato.

Shit happens and at the end of the day it's just a game.

Seeing one's 60 day stats or yesterday's stats being good can be very satisfying but at the same time it can be very deceiving. Playing better should get you better results and better stats but the real goal is to learn to play better. Sometimes that means your yesterday's results won't be good. There are lots of things that can be learned from games and days where things did not go your way.

At one point I used to watch my stats after each session to see them rise slowly. If I got good results I was happy and if I got bad I was not happy. Or slightly annoyed. Sometimes I tried to "play out" from bad loss streaks and in the end I just made sure my stats for that day would be even worse. I was missing the point. I was not using the stats to analyse my gameplay and to learn to be better. I was using them just as an indicator as to how unlucky I was that day. I watched my win ratio and not my wn7.

When I got bad days I just brushed them off with retard teams and lots of unwinnable games. Nowadays I watch my wn and wr and then go back to see what caused it to happen. Did I potatoe many games? Did I not get any good games? Was I bad all the time? If I get 1700wn or above day I can't really tell how I could improve that. That's really the skill ceiling for me at this moment. If I get less I feel I can tell where it went wrong. They key is to look at individual games and analyse them in detail. I probably watch few games from a bad day and the best games from a good day afterwards. I look for single reasons. Positioning, taking damage, being in the fight, staying in the fight and being in control. 

For me knowing my role and how to play a map generally means I get decent game. If I don't know how to play the combo I get I usually potatoe. Knowing that fact I pay special attention to trying to spot those games where I potatoed and then trying to learn to play that situation better in future. If I do that enough time I should have "a skill matrix" of all kinds of different strategies for all the tank/map combos I have. 

So in hindsight if I get good wn day I know I got mostly combos that I can play decently. I take good feeling from the fact that I played well. If I got bad wn and/or wr I want to know why. If I can figure out the reason I take good feeling from the fact that I learned something that should make me better. The idea is to not be afraid of bad days or bad stats but simply see stats as a tool to improve your gameplay.

I care about my numbers but it seems I care more that when they're going down its because I'm playing very badly. I broke 1700 overall and it's been slowing considerably. 2200 60 day. I'm starting to just not care. I'd rather play well with good players and keep learning than be upset because I failed to post 2000+ for the day.

What does that even mean? Is past 2000 even a big thing? How purple does one need to be really? I don't know. I need to relax when playing. Some of the most fun I've had is in losses. So much hilarity.

I should start drinking again while playing. That'll probably help.