Garbad

Garbad's Thread of Tough Love and abuse 2: The search for grok

258 members have voted

1. 1. So if you are using a knife in sexy roleplay, how should it be applied?

• Sensually. Use the cold, harsh metal to stimulate the skin and such. Tickle and beg, delight her senses.
    • As a power prop. Its a weapon, a means of dominance. So obviously, dominate. Toss her around and make her love it.

what is your opinion on the new Waffentraktor E100.  how do you think it compares to the 183, and how do you see it used in different types of play (pub vs tc/tourney vs cw)?

what is your opinion on the new Waffentraktor E100.  how do you think it compares to the 183, and how do you see it used in different types of play (pub vs tc/tourney vs cw)?

Kewei wrote a report recently; I agree with his opinion.  Basically, its going to have good stats overall, but won't be as good as the foch imo.  CW is harder to predict.  I don't see G relying on it, but I could be wrong.

As a relative noob I'm just getting into tier 5. Many of the players if not all of them have said tier 5/6 is where you really begin to learn the game.

What would your recommendation or advice be as to how long I should stay in those tiers or what should I have mastery of before moving on to tier 7+ ?

As a relative noob I'm just getting into tier 5. Many of the players if not all of them have said tier 5/6 is where you really begin to learn the game.

What would your recommendation or advice be as to how long I should stay in those tiers or what should I have mastery of before moving on to tier 7+ ?

What people mean is that you learn to play the "real game" in higher tiers.  Like many games, low tier gameplay doesn't really reflect what's important in high tier play.  Guns fire very fast and aiming doesn't really work.  Its a lot more about ambushing the unprepared and obliterating them.

Low tier play tends to be about who is in the bigger tank, who has upgrades, basic tank types paper/rock/scissors, and so on.  Skill is less important.  Higher tier play tends to be a lot more about knowing game mechanics, maps, and so on.  Sniping, scouting, and controlling defensive position matters more.  Tanks also start to get actual personality.  For example in tier 2 no one cares what you play, every tank feels the same.  But in tier 9 the difference even in a VK45 and an E-75 is significant, much less the gap between say a T-54 and a T54E1.

So expect a transition, and if you start to struggle, sit until you learn what to do instead of just failing your way up the chain.

P.S.  KV1 is the godtank, the sum of all russian rage unleashed on the world.  You already know this, but its just the way it is.  It doesn't mean heavies are OP forever.

Dear Garbad,

She's a femme fatale Jagdpanther II to my practical, generally capable T-43. Attempts to flank & circle have been met with surprising resistance and traverse speeds. Penetration mechanics seemingly incomprehensible. She's more flexible than she lets on and lately it just feels like we can't get over our class differences. Is there a future here?

Expendable_In_Love

Dear Garbad,

She's a femme fatale Jagdpanther II to my practical, generally capable T-43. Attempts to flank & circle have been met with surprising resistance and traverse speeds. Penetration mechanics seemingly incomprehensible. She's more flexible than she lets on and lately it just feels like we were can't get over our class differences. Is there a future here?

Expendable_In_Love

Oh, there's a future all right but it involves you getting repeatedly penetrated by her 128mm strap on.  Sometimes, you just have to avoid the problem.

A. Any chance we can get more replay reviews?

B. Are you back to playing WoT frequently? Or are you still playing GW2 more?

C. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Any idea why you are no longer a purple poaster?

Do you really consider the KV-1 the strongest tier V, or is it just good overall performance + noob friendliness (due to being essentially invulnerable to lower tiers and getting troll bounces even against tier VIIs)?

A. Any chance we can get more replay reviews?

B. Are you back to playing WoT frequently? Or are you still playing GW2 more?

C. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A.  Meh, I doubt it.

B.  I play sometimes, I play gw2 and rtw more atm.

C.  42

Any idea why you are no longer a purple poaster?

Do you really consider the KV-1 the strongest tier V, or is it just good overall performance + noob friendliness (due to being essentially invulnerable to lower tiers and getting troll bounces even against tier VIIs)?

No idea, possibly so I can't post in the hidden drama forum.

Yes, its OP.  Ridiculous gun, thick armor, and its not even that slow.  Its the biggest bully in wot.

So here's the plan:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQNAS3ejcOxu5OqQMxBA0jr4KrTBlUPmzt4A-jEDB4OCyEEw0yBK5pIasFXFRjVxATZKI6To6VR2bIruDBxnIySBExyI-w

Basically a fun build for pubbing and small gang work.  Its got adequate toughness (~3k armor, ~22k HP + stance), so its not a pure glass cannon...but...ok its pretty much a glass cannon by wvw standards but it won't be the first to die, just use your pubbies as meat.

The combo is:

Shield 4 (stun) --> esvic --> swap --> Hammer 5 (kd) --> hammer 3 (push) --> Bulls (kd again) --> swap --> esvic or ES = get the hell off my server fodder

Each hit triggers unsuspecting so you have 100% crit chance each hit, +110% dmg (2.6x dmg modifier) + 40% base damage (rune 6, hammer X, sigil) and a base of ~4.2k power fully fluffed.  You are also immune to conditions (blind/fear) and kd (last stand) and unblockable during the spike.  The chain also has two stuns, two KDs, and a push in a 7 second window, so stunbreakers just won't matter, you will get tossed around like a ragdoll.  Of course, stability fucks you but meh just don't combo someone with it up (people often waste it prefluffing, simply wait 8 seconds and attack their backline).  Literally nothing will withstand that attack.  Esviv can even hit for 20k on a very good roll, and you spam it every 7 seconds.

Sure, its kind of gimmickly but who doesn't love one shotting people?

take garbad for example. playing wot is his job. he makes $ on his blog and posts. if he were to solopub it would cost him money. on the other hand he always has some of the best platoon mates available because of his notoriety. so yes, he has an amazing wr but....
But really tho, have you ever wondered why pubbies are so bad?  Here's an example.

Supposedly I have a blog...that is my job...and therefore I don't dare solopub?  Obviously none of this is even close to true.  Is there anyone who has more documented solopub games than I do?  I've actually been approached several times, but I am too lazy to blog, I'm morally opposed to pimping a site/blog/youtube for cash/endorsements (for gamers, by gamers -- nothing more) and the only money I've made from WOT is from winning tournaments (even that was trivial, like $1k).  Plus I have a big boy job; why would I sell out my free time for a free mousepad now and then?  Conversely, I haven't spent money on WOT since I plunked down $30 to buy the Type 59...two years ago.  Its complete nonsense, with no basis whatsoever. And the thing is he has to know he is spouting ignorance...yet he still spouts...because it makes him feel better to imagine a world where he isn't to blame for his own mediocrity.  This reckless indifference to the truth, this willingness to redefine reality to suit his emotional needs, this pure and simple scrubiness leaking out because someone out there is good at internet tanks and he isn't...

...THAT'S why he will always be bad.

Where the hell did that quote come from? It sounds like something spouted on the official forums. Was it just deleted before I got to see it?

88 or short 105 on the KT while grinding the top gun? I've gotten mixed responses, though I seem to do better with the 88. The short 105 is worse than the 88 in everything but alpha and the alpha on the 105 is still pretty small.

Few Questions here:

Do you consider the KV-1S OP? and do you think it deserves a nerf or not? if you think it does deserve a nerf, how would you nerf it?

on topic with tier 6's, which tank do you consider to be the BEST tier 6 tank overall? I know there are a large amount of really good ones, but which would you consider the best?

88 or short 105 on the KT while grinding the top gun? I've gotten mixed responses, though I seem to do better with the 88. The short 105 is worse than the 88 in everything but alpha and the alpha on the 105 is still pretty small.

I think I used the 88.  The real crap of the stock tank is the turret, tho.

Few Questions here:

Do you consider the KV-1S OP? and do you think it deserves a nerf or not? if you think it does deserve a nerf, how would you nerf it?

on topic with tier 6's, which tank do you consider to be the BEST tier 6 tank overall? I know there are a large amount of really good ones, but which would you consider the best?

Yes, its OP.  390 alpha on a turret is excessive considering its opponents.  Admittedly, a lot of this is due to the game balance (tiers 3-8 have a tremendous power curve, and a tier 5 is nowhere near competitive with a tier 7).  Still, I am against excessive alpha in every form -- tanks should take 3+ hits, minimum.

I'd say the KV-IS is the best t6, mainly due to HP.  I love the hellkitten but its flammability, vulnerability to weaklings, and low HP make it too fragile to be the king.

IMO, tanks that are generally the king of tier:

Tier 5:  KV1, M4

Tier 6:  KV1S, Hellcat, SU-100

Tier 7:  T29, T20, T-34-1, Tiger P, SU-122-44

In fact, here's a list of tanks I think have too high alpha or clip:

T18 derp

T82 derp

M4 derp

KV-IS

KV-2

AMX 50 100 (debatable)

ISU (debatable)

Foch 155

batchat (should reduce to 4)

183 land arty

t10 TD alpha in general

Clickers in general on all tiers, especially tiers 7-9

Basically, excessive alpha is always bad for gameplay, especially when its p2w.  Each of those tanks can one shot in tier opponents, and that's just bad.  I can tolerate high alpha if it has major drawbacks (hetzer derp, J100, etc) but even then its iffy.  WG could straight up double the HP of all tanks and make the game better, because more HP = more margin for error = more ability to attack = less camping and more emphasis on skill instead of first shot and lucky rolls. And when high alpha exists, it should come at a major cost (TD with serious drawbacks or a tank with colossal drawbacks).

In fact, here's a list of tanks I think have too high alpha or clip:

T18 derp

T82 derp

M4 derp

KV-IS

KV-2

AMX 50 100 (debatable)

ISU (debatable)

Foch 155

batchat (should reduce to 4)

183 land arty

t10 TD alpha in general

Clickers in general on all tiers, especially tiers 7-9

Interesting that you don't list an E-100 in that, with alpha in the high 600s/low 700s typically.

Though do agree with the T10 TDs (except the 183 and Jagd E100. 183s too random- someone saw one roll 10 damage- and the Jagd E-100 chassis/armour scheme is balance enough for the gun).

A recent FTR Q/A said they were looking at reducing the 800 damage TD guns to 600 or something, and increasing their RoF to equal the same DPM as current. Thoughts on that idea?

IMO, tanks that are generally the king of tier:

Tier 5:  KV1, M4

Ahh, you have not been made aware of the T49?  Or simply do not hold it in high esteem?

I tend to struggle mightily in low gun depression tanks.  Any good tricks for getting the gun onto targets more often or with less exposure?

Interesting that you don't list an E-100 in that, with alpha in the high 600s/low 700s typically.

Though do agree with the T10 TDs (except the 183 and Jagd E100. 183s too random- someone saw one roll 10 damage- and the Jagd E-100 chassis/armour scheme is balance enough for the gun).

A recent FTR Q/A said they were looking at reducing the 800 damage TD guns to 600 or something, and increasing their RoF to equal the same DPM as current. Thoughts on that idea?

The E-100 I think is well balanced.  It has prodigious strengths but major weaknesses as well.  In terms of firepower, its high alpha, turret, good depression, and acceptable DPM are countered by its craptacular pen and poor accuracy.  I think that's an acceptable trade, especially considering some of the flaws of the platform (weak points, size, camo, poor speed).

Plus alpha has to be compared to peers.  Almost all opponents the E-100 sees have 1500-2200 HP.  That's ~3-4 shots, and that's generally ok for a high alpha weapon.  By contrast, the KV-1S can one shot many tier 5s and two shot all tanks in tier.  That's too much.

I completely agree on reducing alpha/increasing DPM, as I am the one who suggested it ;)

Consider it like this:  t8 is the best balanced tier

t8 medium alpha ~230-300

t8 heavy alpha ~300-390

t8 TD alpha ~400-560

^ this ignores outliers like ISU and T-34-2, both of which have major drawbacks to compensate for being upgunned.

Following this model, let's look at t10:

t10 med:  390

t10 hvy:  400-490

t10 td:  850-1750 <-- WTF?

It would be better to have:

t10 med:  390

t10 hvy:  400-490

t10 td: 650

263 = 560

268/foch/e4/etc = 650 (this change alone might fix the foch, incidentally)

J100 = 950 (the tank blows, give it alpha at least)

183 = Alpha toned down to 1500 max

I would still consider a nerf of outliers at that point (50 100 reduced to 4 shots, ISU perhaps get some nerfs like shittier camo, foch perhaps more nerfs), but it would be better.  TDs should hit ~50% harder, not 2x harder.  And tanks should take at least 3-4 hits from most tanks.

Ahh, you have not been made aware of the T49?  Or simply do not hold it in high esteem?

I tend to struggle mightily in low gun depression tanks.  Any good tricks for getting the gun onto targets more often or with less exposure?

T49 is very good but it comes at a serious cost -- low HP, crap armor.  Like the hellcat, I think its very strong but not OP...it just scales up well with skill more than most tanks.

I do as well, as evidenced by my ongoing struggle to master the 121.  Basically, get creative with working your talk up and around on hills and ridges to negate it as much as possible.  Not much of an answer, but there it is.

What do you think of the Obj. 263 balance-wise?

It sucks.

-- Its too LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.  Its hard to sidescrape, hide, go around corners, and so on.

-- Its lower glacis is kind of weak.

-- Its clicker bait.

-- And despite its flaws, its firepower isn't impressive at all.  Its gold round sucks.  Its base pen is meh.  Its DPM/alpha are worse than the 268, and not impressive at all.  Crap depression and traverse, also.

Its an unimpressive end to an unimpressive line.