Garbad

Garbad's Thread of Tough Love and abuse 2: The search for grok

258 members have voted

1. 1. So if you are using a knife in sexy roleplay, how should it be applied?

• Sensually. Use the cold, harsh metal to stimulate the skin and such. Tickle and beg, delight her senses.
    • As a power prop. Its a weapon, a means of dominance. So obviously, dominate. Toss her around and make her love it.

Also, I want to buy a few tanks, tiers 3-9.  Any suggestions?  Here are some I'm considering:

Hellcat

Chaffee <-- solopub fun

Pershing

T-34-2 (or T-34-3 if I could convince someone to buy it for me)

IS-3

T20

JP2

Roomba or grind the line

AT-7 or grind the line

Try the soviet trash medium line

Conq <-- i loved this tank for some reason

With your well documented penchant for aggressive map control and desire to flex as necessary I think any of the US mediums you mentioned or the Hellcat would bring a smile to your face.

,snip.

Also, I want to buy a few tanks, tiers 3-9.  Any suggestions?  Here are some I'm considering:

Hellcat

Chaffee <-- solopub fun

Pershing

T-34-2 (or T-34-3 if I could convince someone to buy it for me)

IS-3

T20

JP2

Roomba or grind the line

AT-7 or grind the line

Try the soviet trash medium line

Conq <-- i loved this tank for some reason

I haven't really been overly frightened yet when I see a WTF-E100 yet in pub matches because it's mostly been terribads with no concept of map positioning that are playing them.  I get a little frightened when I see post battle screen shots that Sing_ posts when he plays his though.  So many 7k+ dmg games.  But he does similar damage in the 183 so meh.  I'm guessing other solid+ players can pump out similar damage.  I'm grinding the line and currently at the Tier 7.  Should be in the Roomba in a couple of days.  I plan to keep the roomba as a keeper tank and put a fresh crew in it after I grind through it.  At least that's the plan based upon my playing it on the test server.  We'll see how it is in real life.

As for what tanks to buy I'd vote for Chaffee and Pershing.  The Chaffee is, as Crab stated, one of the most fun tanks to play solo.  The Pershing is just simply my favorite Tier 8 tanks and in my opinion the best overall Tier 8 tank.  It's so comfortable.

The Chaffee is actually more fun in pairs than solo! Dependent on the skill and mindset of your fellow Chaffee driver of course!

You are biased, you run Chaffees with jacg

JP2. This thing actually got buffed in 8.8, trading 170HP engine for maglev suspension... 

Also, would you approve the use of JP2 in 7/42 Team match?

From what I have seen, you could run 5x lowes and 2 afks and win 80%+.  The groups I have been in thus far no one cares in the slightest what you bring.  The standard of competition is VERY low, worse than TC.

For sure the hellcat... I know you seem to think otherwise, but that thing is absurdly OP.  Just make sure you always solo with it or there isn't enough damage to go around.

Wat.  I've always liked the hellcat.  I did a challenge in it recently as well and did fantastic.  Over 2k dpg.

Chaffee is the only reason to play WoT. There is no fun like Chaffee fun. 

Pershing is a new tank for me, I really like it. Also going to use this 2 week sale to re-buy the T20...for the 3rd time. I don't know why I keep selling it, because I always come back. 

My fear is I will come to love it again and then it will get lorraine nerfed when its moved to tier 6.  T20 was my favorite tank in beta, and is still good.

The Chaffee is actually more fun in pairs than solo! Dependent on the skill and mindset of your fellow Chaffee driver of course!

No, MMing screws you.  Lights need +3 same as other tanks so bad. :/

I haven't really been overly frightened yet when I see a WTF-E100 yet in pub matches because it's mostly been terribads with no concept of map positioning that are playing them.

Playing with hotfranc last night in his waffle showed it has some big impact.  He was at like 4.3k dpg after ~100 games and he prefers meds.  I don't think he has any other tanks over 3.5k.  People were certainly scared of that thing -- NO ONE will ever push around a corner when its there.  Its not that slow, either.  Watching him made me want one.

hellcat all the way

btw that was a great spotting place you parked the t49 on sand river yest.

Thanks, what did I do? o_o

Also, a thought.

Many individuals have written guides, but I think we would all agree that the collective wisdom of the unica would be greater than any individual writer.  What if we had a crowd sourced guide on a given map or tank, wiki style perhaps, where everyone could contribute.  We might need some mechanism for quality control or brevity, but this could produce some quality material that wouldn't age quite so fast, or end up redundant.

Thoughts?

The Chaffee will be fucked over once it is moved to tier 6. That is why I am playing it now. Its a long bittersweet goodbye.

As for 2 Chaffee in a platoon I've not found worse MM. My experience (although maybe I need to start collecting data) is that with LTs 1 is good, 2 is good and 3 downright AWFUL.

The combined weight of the Chaffees is 18x2=36, so about the same as a tier 8 MT or LT, or a tier 7 HT. Being down 1 shitty IS/Tiger P/etc (with a true fodder 4 LT subbed in) in BT9 with double Chaffee is downright awesome. Ditto with replacing the complete awful tier 8 medium in your BT10 match. There is a slot offset, but it just means you get 1 less of the middle tier and the enemy gets another LT (who is invariable atrocious and usually the first thing you kill). The slot offset is why 3 doesn't work though, but 2 seems to squeak by. Jacg posted a set of 20ish battles from last week and we got TONS of BT7/8 games to romp around in, and never got screwed over in the BT10/11/12 stuff. 

I think the MM of LTs is better since arty got fixed by tier and MM weight. But of course I still agree LTs need the various MM rules we've talked about various places!

Many individuals have written guides, but I think we would all agree that the collective wisdom of the unica would be greater than any individual writer. 

Not necessarily, but it would require a good writer to do so. Also, collective wisdom is just a large volume of noise without a decent editor to make sense of it.

Get the hellcat.

I use rammer/GLD/optics for my eqp with a ammo loadout of 20/10/0. The APCr is spammed in tier 8 matches where 165 pen isn't quite enough. I load 10 of them so I can still maintain a high DPG regardless of the tier you get put in.

I'm sitting on >168 games @ 74% WR and >1700 DPG. Probably a 50/50 solo/platoon ratio.

By far the most OP tank in the game.

By far the most OP tank in the game.

Please don't use the phrase "OP".

More correct: "One of the highest skill ceiling tanks in the game"

High firepower = high skill ceiling

Even a retard can play a T95 well.  Just waddle into a choke and click at people.

Absolutely true. I just dislike the blanket term "OP" since it means a dozen things to a dozen different people. To me, the only true OP tanks have high skill floors and even higher skill ceilings.

The Hellcat, due to low armor, need for vision and camo abuse, and high mobility which renders it prone to derp rushing/overextending in the hands of pubbies, is a low-floor/high-ceiling tank.

Not necessarily, but it would require a good writer to do so. Also, collective wisdom is just a large volume of noise without a decent editor to make sense of it.

Your current tag is: "God's Gift to Fucking Intellectuals".  I read that as 'something something kicking genitals' which is almost appropriate for your avatar.

Yeah, when I saw you and jac in those Chaffee's i KNEW we had to find you and lock you down on Northwest. Pubbies went into an uproar when they saw your XVM stats. Just told them to "Keep calm and kill the Chaffee's" 

There was a reason my highest game ever is in that thing 3500 exp with 7 kills i believe.

Broken, simply broken.

Absolutely true. I just dislike the blanket term "OP" since it means a dozen things to a dozen different people. To me, the only true OP tanks have high skill floors and even higher skill ceilings.

The Hellcat, due to low armor, need for vision and camo abuse, and high mobility which renders it prone to derp rushing/overextending in the hands of pubbies, is a low-floor/high-ceiling tank.

Yes, very true - OP in the right hands, not in general, so yes, probably not accurate to describe it as OP.

Its OP, even an idiot can camp behind a bush with and snipe you without getting spotted. Sure, its not retard proof like some tanks, but still.

I remember trying to define OP

Overpowered:

Has an absolute advantage over an enemy tank in every possible area.

OR

Has a strategy which an enemy of equivalent skill has no way of effectively countering. (the old KV against the old T1 or BDR)

AND

Can easily realize that advantage.

So, one of my first tier 7s being the T25/2, I rather like the playstyle and the accurate+quickly aiming gun, but with my own mediocre skills I can't seem to impact the game as much as I'd like, and my recent W/R shows that. What should I be aiming to do every match? How much damage should I be doing? I've been told to play like a medium without hitpoints, but what exactly does this entail? 

If I'm in a sniping tank and the map doesn't seem friendly for that sort of thing what should I be doing?

Sorry if this question is inappropriate for this thread or too specific.

So, one of my first tier 7s being the T25/2, I rather like the playstyle and the accurate+quickly aiming gun, but with my own mediocre skills I can't seem to impact the game as much as I'd like, and my recent W/R shows that.

The T252 is a fairly weak tank.  It plays a lot like medium but with a crappy turret and low HP (but more DPM and better camo), so its less forgiving.  A typical TD trades poor HP for a bigger gun than usual (and some TDs have high armor, some high camo/speed but rarely both).  Mediums trend more towards the speed/hp/flexibility but less bang.

> What should I be aiming to do every match?

Pedantically, to win.  Generally the best way to go about this is to provide mid range support fire.  Using your camo and overall good fire control (including depression) project good DPM to help your frontliners smash through the enemy mass.

> How much damage should I be doing?

~800 is probably average, ~1500 is extremely good

> I've been told to play like a medium without hitpoints, but what exactly does this entail? 

In this case, less scouting and brawling and more sit and kick.

> If I'm in a sniping tank and the map doesn't seem friendly for that sort of thing what should I be doing?

Better the wrong tool in the right place than putting the tool in the place its best but not what the team needs to win.

Think of your strengths: Pretty high DPM, pretty good aim time accuracy/depression/ok penetration/etc, also has good camo and view range.  On the down side, only average alpha, weak armor, low HP, low turret speed. Basically, you want to be a volume shooter.  If you peekaboom against another 7, you will likely lose due to HP/alpha/armor.  But you can abuse view range and terrain, and if you get into a place where you can sit and kick you can melt people.  So find ways to ambush people in the open, find good sniping spots, use hills/bushes/ridges, avoid brawls and towns, avoid the frontline.

See some of my replays here for similar tanks:

http://wotreplays.com/uploader/Garbad_the_Weak/id/262141

FYI, I bought:

Chaffee

T49

t7 German TD (looks like a nashorn, forget the name) <-- will grind this line

I've also set aside 6 mil for a Obj 140 which I should unlock soon

I've still got a lot of other good crews, still taking suggestions for interesting or fun tanks.

The E-25 is similar to the T49 but more fun and no turret, if you enjoy the latter I'd try the former.

Also, I'd request a large batch of your replays for the Chaffee, T49 and 140, these are very relevant to my interests.

Your wish shall be granted.