Sign in to follow this  
BlackMetallic

Huge up and down swings in pub matches

I had taken a couple month break from WoT until a couple days ago.  First day back (All pub solo) 11 games, over 2K in all ratings with 65% win rate.  Next day about the same (I think I was about 1700 in Eff, as I don't bother capping any more), win rate around 60%.  Last two days - 38% Win Rate, decent K/D, but just a nose dive into crapland.  11-1200's across the board with 16-17's in WN7-8. I've played the same style, defensively aggressive.  Last night was brutal, today was brutal.  

I can't blame the new patch, as I know it brings out more players.  Does it make sense to take a different approach for the next week or so (more defensively as more folks are camping) or should I just stick to tanks that are easier to carry with?  I've noticed my KV-5 seems to be doing pretty well lately, while its poop land for everything else.  My poor E75 crew is getting wrecked every game to point of I'm thinking of selling it. 

Ideas for solo pub when you're hitting a huge swing?

Thanks

Ideas for solo pub when you're hitting a huge swing?

Thanks

Play your KV5 or any premium that gets favorable MM.  If you can avoid bottom tier where top tier are all people who just play when patches release or on x3 weekends then do so. 

But the best advice IMHO is to avoid solo pubbing if at all possible. 

I try to never play solo anymore.  Unless you have some personal vendetta against platooning, I'd highly recommend it (not only does it help your stats, but also makes the game more enjoyable in general if you're playing with people you like.) 

Consider where on the map your putting your play into use, 2000 damage on a easily defended flank isn't as useful compared to 2000 on the "Teeter-totter" flank

This is usually the reason I lose more often, I also solo a ton and I start to lose when I get into stupid positions and waste potential shots

Honestly I think Migi hit it on the head - I'm clueless on the new maps (I think I've played the new ones twice each), and if I have a terrible game I'm out of place. My damage needs to be more "efficient" to make it count. Add in grinding up the new german TD line, well I don't have room for mistakes in those tanks.

It comes down to studying more and getting better fire lanes.  I think I'll see if I can get some lessons or two from a purple and go from there.

Cheers

Something odd I've noticed the past week - if I help the team out, we'll win more often than not, but my personal stats take a hit.  What I mean by help is if I'm dead normally I'll just leave and grab a tank.  The past few days though I've stuck around (mostly on the new maps to get more familarity) and try to help out via chat.  Yesterday I finished with 61% WR solo, but 1400's in WN.  If folks listen half the time then I guess I've made a difference w/r wise.

I tend to solo a lot too, and get the same swings. The clan Im with, while they have some good players, just really arent up to snuff with the active remaining players. Until you get a good group to platoon with, Id try to get into tanks which can carry like the T49 and Hellcat, or like someone else said tanks which have preferential matchmaking like the IS6. I rage sold my Tiger II after solo pub grinding, just NEVER could get a good match in that tank. 

I went from a 14% one day to 80% the next. Just focus on the 30- and 60-day numbers. I find even the weekly number swings a lot.

As far as platooning goes, I've done it for a bit and I find that I'm just not a fan. I like to hop around in different tanks and usually don't want to watch battles after I die. When tooned, I end up spending half my gaming time just sitting and watching. That 30 sec countdown is annoying enough to wait through.

I had 65%ish win Monday through Thursday. Yesterday (Friday), I was in the 30-40%ish. Lost some 15 games in a row (most of them solo).

My short experience has shown me this is common, but one way to help reduce those horrible sessions is to platoon with people and try to work directly with them on the map.

It won't fix everything, of course, but it seems to make it that much better that I just don't want to solo anymore...

My stats are almost always aligned to the hour of the day. No matter how well things are going, right at 10 pm (PST), the drunks get home and I lose every game until they pass out on their keyboards, then my I start winning again. I don't need a clock, I can tell just by watching the teams: just wait for the first surreal lemming train that stacks 14 snipers into K1, then glance at the time. Sure enough, 10:03, go team!

For some reason, the Tuesday teams are beasts (until 10 o'clock), while Wednesday teams couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, and Thursdays aren't far behind. It's a relief when the Friday-night Weekend Warriors come back and things get back to normal. Sundays afternoons is the low point on the weekends; right at 4 o'clock, the losing streak starts. It's a lot of fun to track stats from day to day and week to week and find patterns where there shouldn't be. 

I suspect all but the best players get these good and bad streaks.

What separates the unicums from the rest of us is their ability to minimise the bad streaks while riding the good streaks as long as possible.

The bad streak can really mess with your head and put you off your game leading to poor decision making which leads to more frustration, we get into a hole and instead of climbing out we just dig ourselves in further.

Be interesting to hear a 70+ solopubber talk about strategies they have if any for staying in the groove and minimising any downward trends before they get out of hand. Probably been posted somewhere before.

So far my only strategies for dealing with a horror streak is to either bust out a prem with preferential mm and carry ability, or take a break.

I have these swings generally nightly of late. I had been on a nice winning streak with good stats over the previous 3 days, mostly tier 5s and 8s.

Tonight 7/19 playing Tier 3 (doing good damage every game in my Locust, except the first game, which was rage inducing as I burned my repair kit on ammo rack and then got permatracked by a T18 I was one shot from killing with my gun behind a dead tank...we lost by 7 HP, and their baddy D2 who I would have assraped, survived as the last tank with said 7 HP and 8 kills). Got frustrated, started playing arty (Diss playing arty? WTF? Must be a rage night), and every team suicided, but lit almost nothing of use. Got Lakeville for one battle, and they didn't even keep the valley lit...they just suicided into it while I was still setting up. And of course town got rolled too...

Switched to VK3001D and AT2, got a Tier 7 fight in AT2, did OK damage, but died. At least we won. VK took 4 tries to get my x3 due to suicidal idiots and AFK baddies trying to get a million free credits...finally got a good team on #4...lit them as they went city in Lakeville, got some early damage and kills, and good spotting damage, and split their force in 2. Died, but we won.

TBH for the past month, matchmaker has seemed less "random". Over the long haul, with a 53% WR that is now down to 52.77, my average "odds" should be around that, yet I'm finding more often than not my team is the underdog in most matches. I'm often the only green (or better), or one of two, and the other team often has more. When I play low tiers, frequently 2/3 of my team is red, while the other side is orange or yellow. I can't often remember ANY battles where I died stupidly and the team came back and won. Feels like the onus is on me to carry literally every game, or we will lose. There are exceptions of course, but wading through 4 horrible losses just to get that one decent team every 5 battles is extremely frustrating. I am starting to believe MM is not truly "random" but tries to match teams based on a variety of things which include player stats, but only in the context of either global rating, or # of battles. For example, I was platooning Tier 2s to seal club with some friends a few weeks back, and with over 60 tier 2 tanks in queue, it took forever to get a match. Each time, we encountered a seal clubbing platoon on the enemy side. I do not believe that to be mere coincidence. When I queued up solopub, I still had to wait a while to get a battle with lots in queue, and always an enemy player at or above 51% with 10k+ battles on the enemy side, but never mine. Meanwhile when I dropped a tier 8, instantly in battle.

That said, the swings and the pressure to carry every game is extremely frustrating. I know I'm far from the best player on here (in fact I know I suck, but am well above average compared to the average wot player) and there are a lot of things I need to work on, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to improve where improvement comes from aggression, spotting, dealing damage, learning maps better, and the majority of teams just want to hug the same rock in the back of base and let you die. I've never seen less coordination among teams than now. And that is, to be honest, simultaneous to what I believe has been a general INCREASE in player skill (believe it or not). The skill gap between a good and bad player is less than it used to be. The AWARENESS gap, however, has never been greater. What I mean is this: It is far more rare nowadays to see bad players spamming HE, not carrying consumables or equipment, running bad crews, sitting in the open turning their turret while they get shot, carrying autocannons on tier 5 scouts, missing easy shots in close quarters, or trading frontal shots with tanks they cannot pen rather than running away. It is also far more rare to see player suggesting crackpot tactics like "everyone push valley" or "rush malinovka field, they'll never expect it", although individual players will still idiotically do it. However, it is far more common to see tanks in completely stupid places where they are not even in the fight. Full health tanks sitting 100 meters from a heavily damaged teammate who is alone vs a heaviliy damaged enemy, and they won't pop out to kill said enemy. Fast tanks sitting 300 meters from base who see the cap siren go on and drive TOWARD...the enemy base. Tanks that win a flank, see another has crumbled, and keep pushing into the 5 TD's that were spotted near their base, rather than trying to salvage the crumbled flank and make a proper, coordinated push towards those TD's. Tanks that are in 1v1's where they also face sniper and/or arty support YOLOING out into the open and repeatedly getting shot by an invisitank, and sitting there to die.

To be honest, I've hit this nasty plateau, and my stats have really flatlined, and I'm not sure what to do at this point. Would have loved to do the Crab lessons in hulldown mediums, but with his internet messed up that's not an option anymore, and I don't feel I'm really learning anything from platooning, just benefitting from having 2 more competent teammates as most of what I feel I'm learning/doing is platoon tactics, not individual tactics that will help me carry these uncarriable teams when I solopub. Plus I like to run all tiers, and there is only a very small number of players on the server that keep a ton of tanks like I do from tiers 1-10. At the moment, I've paused all my grinding cuz I'm actually kind of sick of it, and I'm trying to improve crews and my own play in ways that do not involve spamming OP tanks.