Sign in to follow this  
Servios

Skill Gap Question

Skill Gap Question  

48 members have voted

1. 1. At what point do you start to feel that the skill gap between you and another player is "too large" and that they are "vastly superior" to you?

• When they're win rate is 2% higher.
    • When they're win rate is 3% higher.
    • When they're win rate is 4% higher.
    • When they're win rate is 5% higher.
    • When they're win rate is 10% higher.
    • When they're win rate is 15% higher.

At what point do you start to feel that the skill gap between you and another player is "too large" and that they are "vastly superior" to you?

Sounds ambiguous, but that's only because this is highly from a matter of personal perspective.

About 5% for me,then again my winrate is high enough to the point that anyone that is +5% is a Tri-platting stat padder.

60%~70% doesn't matter as much as 50%~60% IMHO.

To me, it's around 4-5%. I have platooned with 56-57% WR players before and IMO have quite a huge performance gap.

It's like what E3 said, 56%+ WR players are a lot harder to pass up as you need to learn how to "create" opportunities.

I would attest to say that the potential skill difference between a 40% and a 50%er, versus a 50% and a 60%, can be 2 different skill gaps. The skill gap between the 50% and the 60% is much wider than the 40% and 50%. 

It's relative to what the winrate is really.

Guess since I'm the only scrub in here to post I might as well throw my two cents in as well. 4%+ is always intimidating however 2%-3% just makes me play more focused than I usually do.

It's impossible to say, some people owe 10% winrate to platooning, some people with 20k battles have only been good for 5k and their stats don't reflect it.

I don't put very much faith in winrate when I'm in a game.

It depends a lot on what I play, If I play a scout, it doesn't matter what peoples winrate are. If I play heavy, I don't rely on armor against somebody around my own level.

I don't get intimidated by anybody though.

Feh, everyone's armor and guns are the same. High win rate just means they screw up less and/or have buddies to cover them when they do.

Never.

There is a lot of RNG in this game. Shit happens, whether arty one shots that Unicum who's about to finish unicuming all over your face or maybe your oppents playing poorly and you play well.

I find as long as I don't do something stupid I can be a threat to anyone.

Hell the first time I ever saw sela in a game he got ammo racked in his T-54 the first shot of the game. It was kind of hilarious.

On the flip side of that even a shitty 40%er can murder me if I show him my ass enough.

Never.

There is a lot of RNG in this game. Shit happens, whether arty one shots that Unicum who's about to finish unicuming all over your face or maybe your oppents playing poorly and you play well.

I find as long as I don't do something stupid I can be a threat to anyone.

Hell the first time I ever saw sela in a game he got ammo racked in his T-54 the first shot of the game. It was kind of hilarious.

On the flip side of that even a shitty 40%er can murder me if I show him my ass enough.

one of my last games before I went to bed yesterday I got ammoracked through the front in my T-44 from full health by an invisible T34 taking a shot at a few pixels of my tank that was esposed at about 150m distance on airfield. I'm not sure what part of my tank he hit, I was instantly destroyed so I didn't get to see a shell decal, and I wasn't looking at him so no shell tracer.

I find skill gap is a matter of perception upon oneselfs ability in comparison to said unicum.

When I first joined PBKAC (About 100 days ago) I was at 52% winrate, the only reason (I think) they accepted me was due to my activity on the forums, not due to skill level.

I counted myself as extremely lucky to platoon with the likes of Ezz and Bridgeburner (70%+ers) and I had quite alot of stage fright. In a way I had put them up on a pedastal and all I would do ingame was follow them around blindly like a lemming. Overall doing quite poorly as a result, Fireguard wouldn't plat with me for another month or two :P.

It was only once I became comfortable with them (took them off that darn pedastal) and started doing my own thing that I became more accepted, and more unicums are willing to plat.

I doubt I will ever become as good as pred_error or Nisa or Garbad, but I'm trying. They are far beyond me and I would most likely get stagefright if I platted with them.

It's case by case.

I don't learn particularly fast in this game so my WR will always be a tad bit behind my actual level as it takes me lot of games to get the numbers up.

At this point the only thing I need to get to 60%+ is playing more games.

So I am not that impressed by my closer superiors (say, spot on 60%).

However, whenever I see someone with higher everything than my most recent results, I just admit the persons superiority (or the consistency, and it can be counted as superiority).

As example,

I will never reach the level of those dark purples, even if I start a new account it will not reach their numbers.

When I see those mildly purple guys I encounter in random matches with numbers like <13k 1680 60%>, I see a mirror.

About 5% for me,then again my winrate is high enough to the point that anyone that is +5% is a Tri-platting stat padder.

60%~70% doesn't matter as much as 50%~60% IMHO.

Just noticed you baddie verified with your SEA account :3

Agree with this tho 50 to 55, 55 to 60 are different experience gaps imo, from 50 to 55 there are mechanics, angling, weak spots knowledge difference, 55 to 60 difference is usually situational awareness, exploiting scenarios, taking right decisions, etc..

Just noticed you baddie verified with your SEA account :3

Agree with this tho 50 to 55, 55 to 60 are different experience gaps imo, from 50 to 55 there are mechanics, angling, weak spots knowledge difference, 55 to 60 difference is usually situational awareness, exploiting scenarios, taking right decisions, etc..

Although I verified with my SEA account,I'm really judging based on my NA win-rate,anyone who actually hits 80% winrate is usually just a dirty statpadder or a certain Euro Trash re-roll. (*cough*cough)  :P 

60%~70%'ers will usually be the ones creating such profitable opportunities for 55%~60%'ers as summarized nicely in this thread : 

Usually most worried about the 64%~70%'ers,those are rarely seen outside their Tri-platoons allowing for more vision control/attrition.

What I've been able to tell is that the higher you go, the harder it gets.  So the difference of 5% between 48% and 53% is not even remotely the same as the difference between 58% and 63%.

When you look at WN7 (even just 60 day WN7), you can jump up from 1400 to 1600 easier than going from 1800 to 2000.

I'm getting to a spot where I don't know what I don't know, and improving from where I'm at has been much slower because of it.

I find skill gap is a matter of perception upon oneselfs ability in comparison to said unicum.

When I first joined PBKAC (About 100 days ago) I was at 52% winrate, the only reason (I think) they accepted me was due to my activity on the forums, not due to skill level.

I counted myself as extremely lucky to platoon with the likes of Ezz and Bridgeburner (70%+ers) and I had quite alot of stage fright. In a way I had put them up on a pedastal and all I would do ingame was follow them around blindly like a lemming. Overall doing quite poorly as a result, Fireguard wouldn't plat with me for another month or two :P.

It was only once I became comfortable with them (took them off that darn pedastal) and started doing my own thing that I became more accepted, and more unicums are willing to plat.

I doubt I will ever become as good as pred_error or Nisa or Garbad, but I'm trying. They are far beyond me and I would most likely get stagefright if I platted with them.

You flatter me too much,I'm not really as good as my stats say.

You gotta have some aspirations though,if you lack the drive to improve,you probably won't.

By time you hit 60%,you should be knowledgeable and proficient enough to devise your own strategies while assimilating tactics and other information from other competent players,don't be a mere copycat because there will always be someone out there who knows the strategy better/executes it better.

With that said,you're still a baddie if you do stupid things like pushing Lakeville valley against several high alpha/dpm TD's in a French heavy.

I guess it kind of depends on when you mean it.  I know, that sounds kind of wierd (as is usual for me).

What I mean is this.  When I look at the pre-game setup, I definately note those who are 4-5% better than me, and if there's too much blue (much less purple *shudder*) showing it will definately get my attention.

On the other hand, once I'm in a battle, I really don't focus on "Oh no, the guy I'm trading shots with is a blue, I'm doomed!".  (In fact, I just killed Servios yesterday)  Generally I assume people I'm trading shots with are good unless they do something to show me otherwise. I just do my best and let things fall where they may.

One thing, now that I think about it though, is I tend to rate the gap "under" me more seriously than the gap "over" me.  Mentally I put myself further "above" a 49-50, than I put myself below a 54-5.  There's likely a lesson in there for me.  Hrms.

I feel there's not much of a skill gap between myself and most others. I may only be a scrubby 55% but I have played well above my WR for the better part of 10k games, soloist. As far a judging people in game..... I generally watch for +50% platoons. I know they will be working together and watch for their flankers and a chance to cut a leg out. Uni platoons do the same except will generally use better ground and fall back when loosing hp, for safe blind shots, much harder to cut a leg out. Your safest bet is to treat everyone as a good player until they die because his gun can hurt you just the same. Even a broken clock(bad player) is correct twice a day.

Depends on the player. There are 60-62%rs whom I consider better players than me, and there are players in the mid to high 60s who don't impress me.

As long as my 60 day stats are going up, I don't think I've reached my limit yet.  I recently started to platoon and tried some of the common stat padding techniques to great effect.  75-80% daily is a pretty realistic expectation if I can cut my stock grinding habit and avoid sr360 with a purple platoon on the other side (why?  why?).  I just try to learn from my mistakes and improve.

Voted for 5%, but I have a caveat.  I try to look beyond win rate for those higher up than me.  See if I see secondary stats that support them, or if there are obvious signs of padding. 

Voted for 5%, but I have a caveat.  I try to look beyond win rate for those higher up than me.  See if I see secondary stats that support them, or if there are obvious signs of padding. 

Smile-hiding.gif

I have been working on alot more tier 8 tanks and alot less tier 3's and 1's. I just wish that WG would implement separate stats for TC's and CW's. I really enjoy TC's from time to time, for the tactics and organized play, but it really bites into the stats in terms of performance. This way pure pubbing stats can be clear and I won't have to keep myself from playing TC's because of stat padding.

keep myself from playing TC's because of stat padding.

Ehh... I got to the point where I ceased to care.  The pubbies are right.  "I play for fun."  If that means stomping TCs and slaughtering my DPG, so be it.  If fun means slinging gold at 1hp tanks, fine as well.  Low tiers?  Whatev... 

I'm confident that I know my place in the WoT skill hierarchy, and I can still use stats on serious tanks to identify weaknesses and focus on improvement.  But I no longer care what "fun" tanks may do to help or harm my overall numbers.  Besides, farming TCs let things like this happen:

No1_zps0acf35cb.jpg

Meaningless?  Check.  Fun to see?  Double check.

What ever floats your boat.

Sanity fun > insanity fun.

IMO, if you are soloing and hate pubbies, just play something else. Soloing in pub battles is terribly hard and frustrating at times.

Judging skill by win rate alone is a terrible idea, given how easily padded it is these days. 

It needs to be backed up with high stats elsewhere (Damage/EXP/Kills/etc.).

Otherwise we would consider that _o7_ guy and the 1500 eff Russian Tier 10 TCpadders with their 90% WR tanks the best players ever. 

As for skill-gap? I would only think the skill-gap is too large if someone was pulling off 95% win rate with massive DPG to boot. I haven't met anyone like that yet on here and I haven't heard of anyone like that in the RU server either. 

At what point do you start to feel that the skill gap between you and another player is "too large" and that they are "vastly superior" to you?

You forgot the "never" option. Better@tanks, yes. "Too large a skill gap" means I can pay attention to how they beat me and learn something.  "Vastly superior" people? <snork> That's like saying I'm "vastly superior" because I play guitar better than most people.

Edit: Oh, dear! It looks like stepped on Coordinator's e-peenie!