deetz

I feel useless in most of my matches. Advice I take seems to not work a good deal of the time.

I also have a problem similar to deetz's problem; just one difference. I feel useless when I'm bottom tier. Any advice?

For example, let's say I'm an IS in a Tier 9 Match... generally, how do I approach things?

I also have a problem similar to deetz's problem; just one difference. I feel useless when I'm bottom tier. Any advice?

For example, let's say I'm an IS in a Tier 9 Match... generally, how do I approach things?

Your first priority would be to avoid getting hit at all. Your armor is a non-factor when you're bottom tier. That doesn't mean stay in the back and snipe. You should still be pushing with the heavies, just don't be the one eating up all the shots. Stay behind the frontline, and then use your judgement to assess opportunities to take a shot safely. This is when tank knowledge comes in very handy. For example, if you're faced against an IS-8 in a tight area and you're supporting one of your team's higher tier tank, the second the enemy IS-8 takes a shot at your teammate, you have a 6-8 seconds window to take a safe shot at the IS-8 LFP and back down into cover, because the IS-8's gun reloads in 12 seconds. Obviously, you have to factor in other enemy tanks - this is just a situational example.

It gets trickier on open maps where TDs and Artillery have a much more noticeable effect on the game, but the principle is still the same. You will be wrong sometimes, but as long as you learn from it it's worth it. Forgot about the ISU-152 sniping in the back? Next time, don't forget about him - if you repeat the same mistake, then you deserve to be going back to garage. Killed by a 704 that had yet to be spotted? Next time, make sure you've properly evaluated whether or not an opening is safe. When in doubt, don't peek. Being a lower tier exaggerates the importance of your mistakes, but it's still an opportunity to learn.

Finally, don't be afraid to throw everything I just said out the window if the situation needs it. If you're supporting your 10% HP E-75 and there's a Jagdtiger up the road, you have to be the one moving forward and taking the shot, especially if you have enough HP to live afterwards. The E-75's gun is more important than yours, and except if the E-75 is spectacularly incompetent, the tradeoff will be worth it. This is the kind of decision that makes XVM such a valuable asset.

Other than the micro skill of actually putting damaging shots into an enemy (weakspots/leading the shot/etc) it comes down to positioning:

- knowing where the chokepoints are / where the enemies will pop up so you can get the first shot (can finish engagements with more health)

- knowing when to flank: even all you do is cause the enemy to flail around with his turret if the rest of your team can pummel him without taking damage with receiving it then that's good (even if it doesn't show up on your stats)

- etc..

As for doing good damage and not winning this is what I have to remind myself:

- some games you are never going to win no matter what your contribution [a purple player on the other team, too many baddie suiciders on your team, overconfidence due to xvm WR leading to mass derping]

- some games you are never going lose [opposite of above]

- some games the win/loss is in your hands... carpe diem!

The way I see it is if you're not alive at the end of the match you don't really have any say in the ultimate outcome. So your first priority should be to stay alive (while still contributing) as long as possible, so you can be the one who puts in the last shot or caps out the last second.

Of course I don't manage this as often as I should, (go the 22% survival rate  :verysmug:), but it's something I'm working on improving. I'm trying to cut down the number of times I stick myself in a spot where I get shredded by multiple enemies and reducing the number of trading hitpoints skirmishes I get sucked into. It's slow going but I'm seeing some improvement in all my stats, so I feel like I'm on a decent path. 

Oh and I agree 100 percent with Fenxis. You'll always win something like 40% of games, and always lose another 40%. It's the final 20% that you make a difference in. At the moment I'm only converting a little over half those 20% games, so that's where I really need to lift my game to get better.

To repeat something I wrote a while back:

What I do believe is that you can break down the matches you are in to the following groupings:

There are W matches you will win no matter what.
There are L matches you will lose no matter what.
There are X matches you can influence.

I want to decrease the % of L matches and increase the % of X matches. Basically, I want to have a non-proportional influence on a a larger number of X matches. 

A friend of mine whose day job is market research (so his day is full of regression analysis) did a regression analysis of World of Tanks. In a game of 29 tanks with average skill and one tanker with variable skill, the lone tanker needs to contribute 4 times more than the average tanker in order to get a 60% win rate.

That sounds about right, maybe even a little low.

If the figures on visualstats are correct the average player has:

A winrate of about 47%

A survival rate of about 21%

done about 1/3 of the damage they receive

a kill rate of about 0.33

I'd expect purple players to be over 2 kills a game, and have damage ratios approaching 2 as well.

A winrate of about 47%

I'd expect purple players to be over 2 kills a game, and have damage ratios approaching 2 as well.

That's about what I have, and I'm not purple. Try higher.

A winrate of about 47%

These stats always amaze me.  I mean, they shouldn't, but seeing them here and loading into games where the whole team is sub 48% with little red numbers below 5/600 below their names never fails to amaze...

bert.gif

Not an expert, but have improved my game a bunch over the last few months.

Don't run off by yourself.  Unless you are the only tank left, a lone tank is going to be a dead tank.  Even the pictures posted earlier, you had a sniping tank with a great, accurate gun, and you got ahead of everyone else and ended up by yourself.  The enemy had a group of three.  Find a group, even a small group and stick with them.

And this is just totally my opinion, but it's based on advice I've seen before and my own experience......  What are you doing in tier 9 matches with only 3000 games?  If you're struggling, the upper tiers are only going to magnify the problem.  I don't know if I'm typical, but I am approaching 9000 games, and am just now finding a comfort zone in tiers 6-7, with a small dabbling in Tier 8.  Hang out in tier 5 and 6 for a while before getting into tier 7-8, much less with the Unicums in 9-10.  It isn't a race to the top tiers, and avoiding them until you are ready is going to save you a lot of frustration.

I don't think I'm way off base here, and if I am, the blues and purples will correct me.

JMO, take care.

I'll make one comment that might help. The hardest thing for me is learning when to get out of dodge. Really good players make much faster decisions on "tactical repositioning of strategic assets":) then the rest of us. I've been watching twitch as often as I can and I am amazed how often I see a purple guy bail on a flank with a team losing early (down 3-4 to 0)...and they leave the falling flank...only to flex toward the other side and ambush 2-3 tanks...all of a sudden it's a 7-8 match and then he's flexing back to the rear of the original flank and it's 6-4 and then they melt. The moment your actually engaged 1 on 3 is a moment too late to save your digital pixels.

I'm on the same grind to respectability as most here looking for advice....right now I'm trying to get my gun tube into action sooner...and out of dodge sooner. 1 extra shot early and living to re-engage late equals better damage and kill ratio's and over time better stats.

That's about what I have, and I'm not purple. Try higher.

But you're not far off (and are 60-day purple now) so it won't be that much higher...

These stats always amaze me.  I mean, they shouldn't, but seeing them here and loading into games where the whole team is sub 48% with little red numbers below 5/600 below their names never fails to amaze...

bert.gif

Frightening isn't it?

I'm getting to the point in this game that all I've learned is that I know nothing. I've only just recently broke into tier 9 and feel less than useless in these games. I find my map knowledge is extremely lacking and knowledge of high tier weak points pretty much consisting of spot the lower plate and hope for the best.

I'm more or less comfortable in tier 6 and 7 and to an extent 8 though in 8 tier 10 games suck for the same aforementioned reasons. This is a game of stacked randomness. Sometimes you will have the perfect shot, close range and the shell will hit the dirt 5 meters short. Or it will leave them with 10hp. Other times that wild shot you took at 45kph will actually hit the target you aimed for. The most you can do is learn the maps, learn vision and conserve hp like previous posters have said. As small as these maps are they are bit enough that there is no one answer to what to do. Every game is a challenge on reading the enemy and working with the players you are given. Not every tank you use will work with you. I personally hate the kv-1s. Just can't get used to it. But it's regarded as almost op for its tier. The opposite goes for the 3001p. Most dislike it and choose the 3601 over it. I did well in the p but didn't like the 36. Just how I play.

I'm sure if you join the wotlabs in game channel some of these guys wouldn't mind helping you in game.

Not an expert, but have improved my game a bunch over the last few months.

Don't run off by yourself.  Unless you are the only tank left, a lone tank is going to be a dead tank.  Even the pictures posted earlier, you had a sniping tank with a great, accurate gun, and you got ahead of everyone else and ended up by yourself.  The enemy had a group of three.  Find a group, even a small group and stick with them.

There are two sides to this.   On the one hand, sticking with the herd means you aren't going to be isolated and shot, but remember that the herd is probably made of bad players who are in the wrong place.

It's better to find a good place that's near enough the meatsheld brigade that you can retreat back to the safety of a group if you need to.

This is a very long reply.  I hope you can manage to get thru it & some of the information helps!  There are games that you are going to lose no matter what you do & there are games you are going to win no matter what you do.  If you team gets steamrolled, oh well, move on to the next game.

The most important thing you can do to improve your win rate is to understand that every action you take will have a positive or negative affect on your team chances to win the game. 

The 1st thing you need to understand is  the strengths & weaknesses of the tank you are using before you even get into battle.  Some tanks can "flex" & handle multiple roles, you need to understand this.  I will use the 1st tank you mentioned as an example on the rest of this posting.  The Hellcat.  IMO, the Hellcat is 1 of the best TD's.  It's strengths are a good gun, good view range, good camo & it's mobile.  The weaknesses are lack of armor, slow turret, open topped tank, not a great ROF.  The most important factor for my Hellcat is not to get spotted.  The Hellcat does it's best work hidden in cover shooting players who can't shoot back.  I have "normal" initial positions for the Hellcat & I have 3 or 4 fallback positions on each map.  The Hellcat is also very mobile.  Understand that you may have to reposition in the Hellcat to blunt an enemy breakthru or defend the cap.   

The 2nd thing you must decide is what equipment you place on your tank.  Each tank has 3 equipment slots and 3 consumable slots.  NEVER LEAVE THE GARAGE WITHOUT 6 ITEMS ON YOUR TANK!  This is critical for you to remember. 

Standard consumables for your tank are 1st aid kit, repair kit & manual fire extinguisher.  On the Hellcat I use small first aid kit, repair kit, high octane gas.  I don't carry the fire extinguisher because am not planning to get hit.  If I am trying to max out my Hellcat I use:  Large repair kit, food, and 105 octane gas.  This is my max effect package but, loses money. 

Next is equipment.  Standard equipment is Shell Rammer.  After the shell rammer, different tanks use different equipment.  Gun laying drive (GLD), Vents, Camo net, toolbox, coated optics, bino telescope are often utilized.  On the Hellcat I use:  Shell Rammer, Camo net, Bino Telescope.  On the KV-1s it's:  Shell Rammer, GLD, vents with consumables of small 1st aid kit, small repair kit & automatic fire extinguisher.  There are numerous postings on the forum about equipment, look there for help.

3rd thing you must decide BEFORE you even leave the garage is crew training, skills and/or perks.  I never play any tank without at least a 75% crew...NEVER.  If I start a new tank & decide not to move a crew, I normally spend gold to train commander to 100% & set 1st skill as mentor.  I would suggest as you get into higher tiers move your lower crews over & retrain them with silver.  This will start them at 90% & not lose skills. 

As for skills and perks, the most important skill/perk is Six Sense for the commander!  I will pay gold to retrain my commanders to six sense after they reach 100% in mentor. 

Example of skills/perks using Hellcat.  I have 100% 1st & working on the 2nd set.  My commander has six sense & is working on recon.  I plan to use camo as a 3rd for him.  The rest of the crew has 100% camo on 1st.  Driver is working on clutch braking (helps turn faster) for 2nd. 

The choices you make before you enter battle have an affect on your win rate!

One of the 1st things you do when the match starts is to decide where you are going to head.  On each map, I have a general idea of my starting location for each type of tank.  On some maps, I will watch what my teammates do & decide where I will be most effective (sometimes I'm wrong but...).  An example would be Lakeville in a Hellcat.  I know that my Hellcat is most effective firing from cover in open areas.  On Lakeville, that leaves the middle as my only option. 

I set up on the middle road.  On south side, I set up in a small bush about 100m down the road looking for tanks moving towards the town.  I plan to fire only a couple of shot from there before a reposition.  3 shots max & if six sense goes of I leave THAT INSTANT.  No waiting a split second for a shot.  Remember six sense goes off 3 SECONDS after you are lit.  I will normally reposition to bushes near mountain at end of road, looking to fire on town road.  Expect to be spotted after a few shots here also.  My next reposition from here depends on how the battle is going.  If the enemy is cresting the ridge in the valley, I will go to the rocks & assist valley by sniping.  If we are winning the valley, I move to the very back of the map around the houses facing the road.  This way I can defend the middle road against an attack.  If the road is already covered & we are losing town, I go to ridge behind town to snipe at enemy passing church. 

At this point, I'm also looking for a chance to use my mobile Hellcat to attack down the middle.  Count the tanks on the minimap.  If there are no enemy tanks unaccounted & middle is open, I ATTACK the middle.  This way I can hunt down arty and/or hit town or valley from rear.  Also, you can start a cap forcing the enemy to withdraw when attacking to counter your move. 

A final note is that I will not stay on the road crest very long.  I do not want to face an attacker down the road from that position.  It leaves the Hellcat trading shots in the open, not a good position. 

Sorry for the long posting but, there is alot to cover.

When you decide where to move the opening moments, I often wait to see where the team is headed.  I will chat warnings if I see important areas uncovered.  Here is an important choice you make.  If you see an important attack route open for the enemy you must decide if you can help the team by attempting to cover it alone.  Pick a spot where you can fire on that location & a spot you can relocate WITHOUT GETTING KILLED!  If that isn't available move to a different location & hope the enemy doesn't find the hole in the line.  Just understand you may have to defend the cap from an attack thru the weak point. 

You should always know where you can fire from cover to defend your cap on each and every map.  Assume you are the only 1 who is going to defend the cap!  Don't leave it to others.  Don't advance past a point you can return to defend the cap unless you understand you are "all-in" on that attack and must kill the enemy or capture their cap before the enemy caps you!

Knowledge of the map is critical.  If you don't know the maps, you are at a disadvantage.

Situational awareness is key in winning battles.  Watch the minimap.  The sooner you can react to enemy moves the more options you have to counter the enemy.  Nothing is worse than waiting to the last second & having to rush your cap to stop the enemy not knowing their numbers and location. 

Stay alive.  The only way you can influence a battle is to be alive.  If you think you should withdraw from a situation, most likely you should have already broke contact.  This is why I prefer mobile tanks.  You have more flexibility to move around the battlefield if you have speed (T-49 is my favorite tank). 

If you have to die, make your death have value.  Many times there are critical moments where you can determine the outcome of a game.  An example would be you have 3 tanks capping & you are the fourth.  The enemy is counterattacking to prevent the capping.  You rush forward into the enemy advance in a T29 making them stop & engage you so the team can complete the cap.  You may die but, you ensure a victory. 

Understand that sometimes you can ensure a victory with a small contribution.  If you are covering a choke point & knock out 1 scout that would have killed 3 arty & your team wins.  You influenced the battle by understanding you were covering a key area.  Sometimes you will "do the right thing" & cover a key area only to sit on your ass & watch the team win.  That is okay.  The average win rate is 48.8%.  If you can change the outcome of 8 out of 100 battles, you have just increased your win rate to 56.8%!

Last point (FINALLY).  Review your game play.  You should look for areas you can improve.  I look at what I did in losses to see what I could have done better.  I've had plently of 5 kills games where I look back & find if I only did 1 thing different, I would have won a battle instead of losing.  I hope this helps. 

A lot of great help has been posted in here from many people. Over the last couple weeks I took a step back and reconsidered my gameplay. As a result I've been playing a little better. Thank you to everyone who has put any help in here.

Deetz

You've been given a lot of good tips and advice.  You must decide what you are going to do with it.  You've got just shy of 5K battles ... now is the time to step up your game.  I have 17K battles and must work 3x as hard as you to improve my stats.  Lots of people say stats are somewhat irrelevant, but it is how most will judge you.  Having so-so overall stats can be an advantage if the enemy disregards you as a noob, but if you've improved enough recently and are playing at an above average to good level over the last 30-60 days you can suprise them.

Here's some more tips:

Consumables ... for God's sake put them on all your tanks ... enuff said

Perks ... 6th sense ... best perk hands down,  others that give you the most bang for your buck - Camoflage(especially lights and TD's) and Repair ... other useful ones - Recon, Situational Awareness, safe stowage, BIA, Smooth Ride, Deadeye, Snapshot, off road driving, clutch braking ... if you have a tank that loses its gun or engine a lot - armorer and preventive maintainance.  There are OP tanks and crap tanks, but proper selection of crew perks for your tanks will have a huge impact on your gameplay. For example - A crew with  100% Recon, 100% Situational Awareness, and 100% BIA gets a ~7.5% bonus to view range.  On a tank with a Base View range of 400m that comes out to +30m to your effectice view range so you can out spot the enemy before he spots you.

Optional equipment ... varies, but pretty much everything except autoloaders should have a Gun Rammer ie +10% DPM.  All my TD's have Camo Net and Binocs (except my AT15). Pretty much everything else has Coated Optics and either Gun Laying Drive or Verticle Stabilzer, preferrably the latter(it's better).  If I can't use one of those choices I generally will pick Improved Vents as an alternative. I want to maximize gun handling, damage, and view range so as to be able to shoot first and shoot accurately while ducking in and out of cover.

Ammunition ... I generally load @ 2/3 reg ammo, 1/3 premium, and 2 to 4 HE to reset caps, track someone, or finish off a stronk tank with 100HP left ect... on some say an E25 you might want to go 2/3 premium, 1/3 regular ... it should be evaluated on a tank for tank basis, but try to be conscious of this.

Tactics and gameplay-

As to general gameplay and performance, set goals.  Try setting modest ones at first like - I am going to get at least one kill per battle and do my current tanks HP in damage this battle.  Once you manage to do this regularly, step it up some. Personally I am not happy with my performance in a T49 unless I score at least 2 kills and do 1K damage minimum.

If you have 3 tanks in front of you and you can kill one  ... DO IT!  better to face 2 guns than 3.  If you see everyone is shooting tank A ... don't shoot tank B, take tank A out ie focusing fire.  Remember a tank with 1 HP left can still kill you.

Use bushes and cover to hide.  Know the difference between opaque and transparent bushes.  Double bush if you can.  Knock a few trees down and build a little "nest" to hide in.  If you have a tank with a long reload like a KV-1S try to be close to hard cover where you can safely reload. Go hull down if your turret is tough.

It's OK to die sometimes. Staying alive and doing damage is always the best, but say you are in a tier 6 and held off 3 tier 7's long enough for your team to cap ... I'll take that win anyday.

I've had matches where I was MM screwed and bottom tier, but even though I couldn't pen most of the enemy, I would track them and spot for my team mates who could pen them or for arty.  Generally just being an itch the couldn't scratch annoying the crap out of them, and while they were taking shots at me ... my larger teammates were putting holes in them.  Spotting damage and assist damage is good too.

Even if you are not in a platoon on using teamspeak be aware of what your teammates are doing.  If you're coming up on an enemy with 1 or 2 others and they break right you might want to go left ... his turret can only point at one guy at a time.  Let some scrub take the hits and after the enemy fires you pop out and shoot conserve your HP whenever possible.

In general aim and shoot low.  Most have weaker hull armor.  It's easier (ie a shorter list) to remember which tanks don't have weak hull armor

Communicate with your team.  If everyone goes to one flank say HEY A FEW NEED TO HELP ME ON THE OTHER FLANK!\

If the enemy is capping head back don't count on pubbies to do it.

Know your maps and watch your mini map (still working on this myself)

Some maps are smaller than others so be careful in TD's or SPG's as 1 tank with a high view range an see most of the map.

Learn from your mistakes, and try to concentrate on winning and staying alive ... that's what I've been doing lately and the stats just kinda took care of themsleves.  Unless you hide in a corner the whole match you'll do a lot more damage and get more kills if you survive as long as possible hopefully with a win under your belt.

Don't get too bogged down overthinking - play and have fun, but its usually more fun if you win ... so win!

Another thing I thought of is target priority be conscious of this ...

Who to shoot/try to kill first?

-in no particular order and very situational-

Anyone you can kill with one shot (as mentioned before).

High skill enemies blues and purples.

scouts and arty

tanks with high view ranges

autoloaders and TD's

It seems I've hit a bit of a wall lately, or a big dip. I performed well in my T29, and started strong in my T32, with 79% and 1000 average XP, but that's dropped like a stone. My T32 is now at 44% and ~800 average xp, and I seem to be unable to win more than 35% in a session. I'm playing it pretty much the same as my T29, and I personally am doing alright, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to carry some of these teams. Even in platoons I win like 35%. Some tips on how to win would be appreciated. I will upload a few replays later.  I may rage a little in them so be mindful :(

Trust me I feel your pain deetz.

Been a rough day tanking for me today.

Been grinding tier 5 Chinese and Japanese tanks to get to the ier 6 for the IS6 Mission.

Potatoes and lemmings gonna do what they do ...

The Scorpion and the Frog

One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river.

The river was wide and swift, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn't see any way across. So he ran upriver and then checked downriver, all the while thinking that he might have to turn back.

Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river. He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.

"Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"

"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.

"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"

Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. But he asked. "What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!"

"This is true," agreed the scorpion, "But then I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the river!"

"Alright then...how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?" said the frog.

"Ahh...," crooned the scorpion, "Because you see, once you've taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!"

So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog's back, his sharp claws prickling into the frog's soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown. He kicked strongly through the first half of the stream, his flippers paddling wildly against the current.

Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?"

The scorpion shrugged, and did a little jig on the drownings frog's back.

"I could not help myself. It is my nature."

Then they both sank into the muddy waters of the swiftly flowing river.

Only thing you can do is play tanks that can flex and play above your level and hope you don't run out of ammo.

I was teamkilled 3 times just last night. Last one was by a failplatooned StuG, who thought I was "pushing him into fire" when trying to move around him sitting in the fucking open and get a shot off. 

And I'm just gonna keep pushing on and watching my T32 stats tank.

I do miss winning though.

Finally hit full blue in my recent stats! Thank you to everybody on these forums who has helped me out or given me tips on reaching this milestone on my way to true competence.

\o/

now to stop procrastinating.

Gratz Deetz ... I've been working on my free IS6 for a month and my stats have been in limbo, amazingly between shit teams and getting stuck in tier 8 every other battle I'm not doing too badly playing these gawdawful tanks .... the geman Tier 6 TD's, the KV1S, and the Hellcat are fun but the rest suck ... AT8/ARL44/Type 58 ... the Chito is OK, but not great  ... at the very least I ground out the T29 and will grind out the tier 7 Chinese and japanese.

Its gonna be close but worth it if I make it.

Question ... what advice did you follow that helped you the most?

Gratz Deetz ... I've been working on my free IS6 for a month and my stats have been in limbo, amazingly between shit teams and getting stuck in tier 8 every other battle I'm not doing too badly playing these gawdawful tanks .... the geman Tier 6 TD's, the KV1S, and the Hellcat are fun but the rest suck ... AT8/ARL44/Type 58 ... the Chito is OK, but not great  ... at the very least I ground out the T29 and will grind out the tier 7 Chinese and japanese.

Its gonna be close but worth it if I make it.

Question ... what advice did you follow that helped you the most?

I'm not exactly sure how to put it... I cut myself back, reconsidered what I wanted to do, and followed the lines I wanted to play.

I guess the best thing to say would be that I played what I was comfortable with and ended up a better tanker overall because of it

What did help me more was individual advice on tanks. For example, Rexxie told me for the M103: "Try not to be the center of attention". I followed that advice and started pulling acceptable dpgs and started to win more.

EDIT: This too.

I think the key is accepting that there probably won't ever be "the moment when it clicks".