First of all, i want to thank you for some tips you gave me about my KV3, they really helped me to improve my gameplay on it, i went from 35% to around 53% on it, now im having some problems with the Panther, although im amazed with its pen and acc im lacking a lot on my damage per game; i find hard to deal even my HP pool on it, some times i do over 2 k; but i've found is very team dependant, if the team is awful i just can't do crap because on 1 vs 1 almost every other tank can kill me at close range; and with no spotters i can't do crap. Unfortunately i don't got any replays on it, my old laptop died and im on a new one (awful as the last one lol) Any tips om how to play it or some good replays to watch would be greatly appreciated 

This was probably my worst played tank, and that's saying something.  I got out of it as fast as possible.  Good luck, hopefully someone will have something constructive for you.

I've heard it plays similar to the Tiger, with better mobility/armor for worse alpha and hp. I suck in both though, so don't take my word for it.

Kinda weird since im doing it bretty good on the Tiger lol

Funny, it's my best tank.  (Wild how that works)

I'm no superhero, but let me ask a couple questions.

1) What is your hit%?

2) How often do you pen the hits you make?

3) What Equipment and Skills are you running?

4) What range are you shooting people, MOST often?  (Roughly.... Not zoomed and 10 feet away,or 400 - 500 Meters, or 200 Meters...)

5) Where do you get shot the most? (Front, Side, Rear, Turret.)

6) Do you Track or Bounce your target tank a lot?

Funny, it's my best tank.  (Wild how that works)

I'm no superhero, but let me ask a couple questions.

1) What is your hit%?

2) How often do you pen the hits you make?

3) What Equipment and Skills are you running?

4) What range are you shooting people, MOST often?  (Roughly.... Not zoomed and 10 feet away,or 400 - 500 Meters, or 200 Meters...)

5) Where do you get shot the most? (Front, Side, Rear, Turret.)

6) Do you Track or Bounce your target tank a lot?

1) 75%

2) I think that it's around 55% or slightly more my pen ratio

3)EGLD,Vents and rammer; already got L100

4) Mostly above 200 meters

5) I try to get side shots but i get mostly front shots while trying to hit weakspots

6) Mostly bounces; i find hard to track with the low dmg of the gun

Thanks for asking this question, my Panther sits at a sub-bot 37% winrate with miserable kills/game and damage ratios. I don't even look a tthe survival rate...

I've got about 50,000Xp to go on the grind to the Panther II but am considering giving up the line entirely. Hopefully I'll benefit from some of the advice you receive.

I'll throw you what I know, and what I'm using.  I'm not a master at much, but I seem to make the Panther work pretty well. (All solo pubs)

I spot for myself.  The crew is 100% camo, and big on the vision skills (Situ Aware and Recon).  I run Binos, Rammer and Vents, small tool kit, small med kit, and large med kit.  (I take the 15% less chance of crew kill over 1 in 50 game risk of fire.  I also protect the Lower Plate like its my mother)

This lets me stay out at long range, without needing a scout.  I move in only when there is need, or the target is weak.  Shoot the sucker 5 times as far as you can, all the T29/KV guys will never see or hit you back.

Live....In......The......Bushes.  

I can't get straight 90* side shots very often, and that puts me at a 45* angle to the side and front armor. As good as the L100 is (And it is really good!), that isn't a 100% pen everywhere.  Also, my 15.4" monitor also won't let me pick "weakspots" at long range, because they are too small to see.  I just beat heck out of the closest front sprocket and sides.  Plus, anyone with less than serious armor gets it in the turret.  Just depends on who it is.....  I figure with a 199 pen, if i'm bouncing I need to pick a flatter surface to hit.

If you are going for weakspots in a tough target, maybe you are getting the heavy armor around it?  Or the angle is ruining your chance of pen?

Try to find firing/spotting locations with good cover, and a second firing spot a few tank widths away.  Blast a few until spotted, back out of view and move to the next spot.  Rinse/Repeat....   When I'm moving up looking for targets, I'll leapfrog up, cover to cover, getting the binos up and moving again.

When things get close, I blow.  Can't help there, I just don't have the knife fight skills, and TD at 50M is a death sentence for me.  I think I have a few replays on Noobmeter.  Some good, some.............not.

Does any of this help?

That makes a lot of sense, boost the vision to stay out of trouble and play like a TD. I'll give it a try.

Unfortunately I went with repairs in the first skill slot (now at about 80%) I think. Does camo-skill actually help all that much given the Panther has a low camo rating? What about later on down the line? I want to avoid swapping skills around too much as I proceed.

I'll throw you what I know, and what I'm using.  I'm not a master at much, but I seem to make the Panther work pretty well. (All solo pubs)

I spot for myself.  The crew is 100% camo, and big on the vision skills (Situ Aware and Recon).  I run Binos, Rammer and Vents, small tool kit, small med kit, and large med kit.  (I take the 15% less chance of crew kill over 1 in 50 game risk of fire.  I also protect the Lower Plate like its my mother)

This lets me stay out at long range, without needing a scout.  I move in only when there is need, or the target is weak.  Shoot the sucker 5 times as far as you can, all the T29/KV guys will never see or hit you back.

Live....In......The......Bushes.  

I can't get straight 90* side shots very often, and that puts me at a 45* angle to the side and front armor. As good as the L100 is (And it is really good!), that isn't a 100% pen everywhere.  Also, my 15.4" monitor also won't let me pick "weakspots" at long range, because they are too small to see.  I just beat heck out of the closest front sprocket and sides.  Plus, anyone with less than serious armor gets it in the turret.  Just depends on who it is.....  I figure with a 199 pen, if i'm bouncing I need to pick a flatter surface to hit.

If you are going for weakspots in a tough target, maybe you are getting the heavy armor around it?  Or the angle is ruining your chance of pen?

Try to find firing/spotting locations with good cover, and a second firing spot a few tank widths away.  Blast a few until spotted, back out of view and move to the next spot.  Rinse/Repeat....   When I'm moving up looking for targets, I'll leapfrog up, cover to cover, getting the binos up and moving again.

When things get close, I blow.  Can't help there, I just don't have the knife fight skills, and TD at 50M is a death sentence for me.  I think I have a few replays on Noobmeter.  Some good, some.............not.

Does any of this help?

I 'll try it out, and what you think about using Coated Opts instead of binos? Thanks a lot btw :)

Coated should work fine, and will help more when moving around.  It will get you closer to the 445 or whatever max spotting range.  I use Binos because the added distance over 445 meters of view range still helps burn through bad guy Camo.

The Camo rating may not be great on the Panther, and blows when shooting, but the skill still counts.  I can't say, Post-8.6, EXACTLY how much it matters but I know it does. (Maybe 20-30 Meters farther on spotting?)  If I can track a heavy, at distance, it keeps him from closing to his view range.  I'll ping a T29 all day, at 135 dmg a shot, before he can see me.

I played this crew on the T25, 3001D, 3002D, Panther, and Panther II.  I play them all like flanking snipers, where I hit at range and then move around the sides towards the cap/arty/the big fight, after everyone is beaten up.  I didn't pick repair until skill 3-4 on some crew members, because my goal is not to be hit in the first place. - This isn't normal - Beware my thinking.

My problem is that's how I play every tank and map.  I'm a solo pub one trick pony.

I enjoyed the panther. It had a pretty healthy w/r for my tanks.

My experience from a while ago:

The L100 gun is really punchy for it's tier ( I consider it one of the most effective sniping guns for a tank relative to it's tier!), there isn't too much it can't poke lots and LOTS of holes in. It's best as 2nd/3rd line sniper.

It's too big and slow to be an effective scout and too weak/slow to be a scary brawler. I'd recommend committing to the sniper role and setting the crew with camo/vision control/gun handling (or dead eye since it fires pretty fast), rammer and it might sound crazy but camo net and binocs (or optics if u have $$ & lack patience to sit still and put holes in virtually everything on the map. If you have a 3 set crew… remember BIA is one of the few things you can use to improve your actual accuracy). It also used to be fast enough to flex effectively (hey look! It's a mini-map with all these red things around this here white triangle thingy)

As a sniper, it's low alpha makes getting final kill shots difficult, but all that damage you inflict adds to tip the w/r in your favor. Cries of "Invis Haxors" will be seen in chat. If you enjoy the sneaky scout/TD style, the panther has potential. This can be played as a fast firing, hole punching sneaky TD that has a turret! You might say it's a really big, retarded germanic cousin of the t49 (fantastic little death machine).

I don't think it's the best tier 7, but it can contribute.

Also, a warning that it plays nothing like a panther2! I found the panther 2 gun inferior at tier 8 compared to the panther at tier 7 for sniping (both have like 200 pen iirc). But I am a noob and never liked the Panther 2 to give it a chance). So if you aren't going to retrain the crew skills and plan to keep heading up, the panther is the last stop for camo on a 1-2 skill crew. Plan accordingly.

-J

/walloftext

This can be played as a fast firing, hole punching sneaky TD that has a turret! You might say it's a really big, retarded germanic cousin of the t49 (fantastic little death machine).

Sorry to interject but yes, gods above yes, a thousand times yes. At least it is when you've got like a 460% crew lying around (all those battles in the VK36 had some purpose, other than making me squee with delight). I'm not boasting because I am a barely-competent player but I managed to ace it first game drop-dead stock with that crew & binos & 100 octane fuel, just basically playing it like that (favourable MM, terribad opposition & me having a rare lucid moment as one of only four tier 7 tanks on the field. & APCR. Oh so much APCR).

It was a x5 as well, so this enabled me to free XP the gun after I fitted those things which increase the load limit, can't recall the name... Thus the grind to the modules was reasonably painless too (free XP sprinking aside for the second turret). I wouldn't like to try it stock with a fresh crew in it, though. That would not appeal. I am fucking tragilarious in the KinderPanther & was in the DB as well. But there's just something about this tank...

/thread necro-cum-derailment.

Good info above about the panther. What most say is true, play it like a TD. It's a very tough tank to play, I realized this once when I had a Tiger caught out in the open, it took 11 shots to kill him. How often do you get 11 shots on a single tank? The gun is highly accurate but does no damage. Tough to kill tanks when you deal no damage...

My stats suffered through the panther 1, but fear not there is GREAT NEWS!!!!!

Great News = after Panther 1, you get Panther 2 and E50. They are incredible. If you like or are even remotely good with the panther, you'll love the Panther 2 and E50

OK, I Love the Panther, am worse in the Panther II, and a bloody train wreck in the E50,

What do you find different that works so much better with them?

My wife (a 44% player) has started playing again - We've found success with mobile turreted TDs like the T49/Hellcat, but she wants something with a bit of armor. 

Anyway, I've decided on the Panthers for her, and will guide her in being a sniper and only a sniper.  I think this is the right way to play them, and I may even play my own again with her ... my biggest mistake was always staying out too long and taking too much return fire, or letting myself get flanked.  Now that I've played the T49/Hellcat, I think if you play these panthers like mobile turreted TDs it should work out just fine.

I played my Panther as long-range sniper at the first half of the battle.

Then, be a support, flanker-sniper tank in the other half.

You have the mobility and DPM for that.

Thanks for asking this question, my Panther sits at a sub-bot 37% winrate with miserable kills/game and damage ratios. I don't even look a tthe survival rate...

I've got about 50,000Xp to go on the grind to the Panther II but am considering giving up the line entirely. Hopefully I'll benefit from some of the advice you receive.

Don't do it!!!!

Yes the panther sucks.... bad! but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, the payoff - you then get the Panther 2 and E50, both of which are superb tanks.

I just unlocked the Panther & have only played a few games in it.  I only have the 75/70 gun & load for 1 equipment slot.  The equipment I use is the bino.  I also have a premium Panther M10 & mini Panther.  I love both of those tanks, those are two of my favorite mediums.  The Panther has so far been an adjustment to my tier 6 & premium tank play.  Those tanks snipe but, have the speed to play 2nd line support & flank.  I've found the Panther doesn't have that ability.  The Panther is a pure long ranged sniper.

However, once you reach middle to late game situations, the Panther can move about & play a mobile role.  If you have been sniping well, you will be at full health & they will mostly be dinged up.  This mitigates the low alpha damage of your gun.

To prevent your tank from becoming "team dependent", I will use my standard TD sniper equipment package:  Camo net, bino telescope & gun rammer.  IMO, a normal medium tank consumable of 1st aid kit, repair kit, fire ext is the best choice for this tank.  You should plan to mix it up some during end game so, the fire ext is important.  I recoomend the auto fire ext to reduce the chance of fire (German tanks BURN).  I usually use a small repair kit because I often use this when tracked.  The large 1st aid kit is a good choice because it reduces the chance of crew injury. 

I think the Panther gets a bad rap because the mini-Panther is a much better tank.  The T43 faces the same situation where the T34-85 is excellent so, alot of players think the T43 is horrible. 

Good luck with your tank.

OK, I Love the Panther, am worse in the Panther II, and a bloody train wreck in the E50,

What do you find different that works so much better with them?

Honestly? I more or less play them all the same, support/sniping medium with the occasional flank when the oppertunity presents itself. I just find that in doing this role, the Panther 2 and E50 are much more effective. I think because their guns do much more damage than the Panther 1.

Honestly? I more or less play them all the same, support/sniping medium with the occasional flank when the oppertunity presents itself. I just find that in doing this role, the Panther 2 and E50 are much more effective. I think because their guns do much more damage than the Panther 1.

My opinions;

The pen on the Panther seems to be better, in relation to the tier's it lives in.  The Panther II and E50 only get ~23 more pen vs. the 9-10 crowd.  197 vs 220 (i.e. I bounce more now.)  

I think the vision range has the same issue, Panther has 370 (good for T7), but EVERYTHING has 400-410 when you get up to T10.

Also, I get savaged by the Big Alpha TD's/Autoloader's in T9-10.  Sure, there are 152's vs the Panther, but I can pen them all day.  Not so much with Foch and 268/704's...

Yes, the 88/105's Alpha helps, but I get so many fewer shots vs. the Panther.  You shoot in the E50, and the world lights you up.  You can fire all freaking day, one after the other, and not be bothered in the Panther. (View vs Camo, maybe?)

Panther Engagement: Sprocket shot, hatch shot, sprocket shot, boing, hull shot, pull back...  (I can bounce and recover)

E50 Engagement:  Sprocket shot, pull back NOW.

I play the same way, (I think..), and I do like the PII and E50, but I'm just not seeing the results.  I imagine it's not the tank, mostly.