Pt_k

What separates the bad, the good, and the elite players

Question

So I just wanted to know what separates the bad, good and elite? What are the biggest things that these players so differently? I'm a solid player but I feel like I'm missing something that could make me even better. Even in a game where I do 6k+ damage, I just feel like it was crude the way I did it, and it could have been smoother. I get to the point where players i know I can beat are doing high damage to me and I'm struggling to kill them. What are the big tips I need to know so I can elevate my game beyond where it is now?

19 answers to this question

But what actions can I do to become a better player. Avoiding mistakes of course, but what do I need to do that will give me the superior know how to destroy anybody I see.

"Tell me what I need to do to become purple" isn't a good question. If you find willing players, they can review replays for you and point out mistakes, but it is really up to you to research how these players play, and then attempt to emulate. In the meantime, try to figure out why they do what they do through critical analysis of their replays and specific questions directed to them. 

Through consistent efforts on these fronts, you can attain glory. Or you can do it my way, and play trial-and-error for 31k. The former is far more efficient, but the latter approach works for the lazies. 

If you want "tips" on how to play, check the "" thread.

Situational awareness and taking out high priority targets is most of it as far I see it.

I have shit aim, I have a bad overview of the weakspots of most tanks, but I have very good situational awareness, too bad it doesn't help me much when I potato in the start...

Somebody please teach me to tank harderer!

So I just wanted to know what separates the bad, good and elite?

The amount of mistakes made.

This in a nutshell like what players actually take the time to analyze their situation ie: what tank they're firing on, whether its angled and chance to hit and pen, time to escape so you don't take unnecessary damage. The other is making 1 or more mistakes that end up killing you.

I know I'm not a purple poaster but this was a pretty idiotic response, it's kind of like saying "How do I prevent car crashes?" "By not crashing in to things."

So basically from my experience bad, good and elite players are separated by a few things and yes mainly because of mistakes but to elaborate:

Bad Players: Lack of Basic Game Knowledge, bad aim, lack of understand of game mechanics such as cover, penetration, and generally just stupid individuals.

Good Players: Strong sense of mechanics, good aim, basic understanding of where their tank will be most effective and how to do maximum damage.

Elite Players: Very strong "on the fly" decisions that normally work out for the best, if you watch extremely good players stream they always seem to get themselves out of sticky situations and make the most of the good situations. Elite players capitalize on every mistake and minimize their own, they take all of the goods of the Good players and improve those things as well. They also know the best spots so they don't get into said sticky situations often.

I know I'm not a purple poaster but this was a pretty idiotic response, it's kind of like saying "How do I prevent car crashes?" "By not crashing in to things."

So basically from my experience bad, good and elite players are separated by a few things and yes mainly because of mistakes but to elaborate:

Bad Players: Lack of Basic Game Knowledge, bad aim, lack of understand of game mechanics such as cover, penetration, and generally just stupid individuals.

Good Players: Strong sense of mechanics, good aim, basic understanding of where their tank will be most effective and how to do maximum damage.

Elite Players: Very strong "on the fly" decisions that normally work out for the best, if you watch extremely good players stream they always seem to get themselves out of sticky situations and make the most of the good situations. Elite players capitalize on every mistake and minimize their own, they take all of the goods of the Good players and improve those things as well. They also know the best spots so they don't get into said sticky situations often.

To be fair, the only difference between your response and servios's response is thus: you were writing for the english department, and he was writing for the math department. 

There really isn't much more to it, the fewer mistakes you make, the longer you live and the more opportunities there are for you to take advantage of. 

A player can do countless things right, but a single mistake will usually cost the match.

What you do right is less important than what you do wrong, because there is a difference.

You're basically saying that "if it is not right, then it must be wrong", which is an interesting assertion.

I don't know.

But what actions can I do to become a better player. Avoiding mistakes of course, but what do I need to do that will give me the superior know how to destroy anybody I see.

Weak spots

Reload times

Gun penetration values

Armor values

Camo values

VR values

Map layouts

Map Deployments

Firing lines

Minimap Reading

Minimap Interpreting

Spotting mechanics

General Pubbie tactics and how to counter/prepare for them

Using Pubbies as meatshields correctly

Once you get all of those down, then we'll figure out what you have left to work on.

I suppose I wasn't clear enough, and for that I apologize..

All you need to do is identify your mistakes, fix them, and you will naturally improve.

Nobody here can give you specific advice because we have absolutely no idea how you're playing.

You may not like it, but this is the difficult reality.

... but what do I need to do that will give me the superior know how to destroy anybody I see.

Thats one of your problems I guess. First you have to come to a conclusion if its the right moment to go for a kill - there is often no sense in making a kill, if the return fire you take melts your HP pool away - especially at the start of the game. I know that players like Garbad go often very agressive at the start, but that is usually no good advice for a newbie, because you lack experience and often misjudge situations, because you lack knowledge and didnt develop the analytical skillset for this game yet.

Sometimes you have to take the damage to make a kill and and sometimes its better to stay back take a safe shot at an other target, leaving the kill for some one else or do it 2 min later yourself.

It comes down to experience, after mastering the basics. Ofc everyone has his own skill ceeling ... .

In my opinion- this. On those days where I find my self 'in the zone', I do fantastic.

Other times, even long before I am dead I find myself in a position I really don't want to be in- exposed to multiple lines of fire, in a position where I can't see others, etc. On those really bad games I find myself saying "oh shit" about 0.5 seconds before I am dead.

So what mistakes do I need to avoid? Elaborate. 

I see one: avoid rolling around in a BatChat before having played 4 k games.

Your account has a lot of signs of a reroll, or perhaps this is your parallel French account, but it's obvious you rushed down the lines and jumped several tanks.

You have 2 tier 10's already, but aside of your IS6, none of your tanks stands out as one you have mastered.

You seem to really focus on those top tier french.

On one hand I think this is a good thing, as you don't have to adapt too much to style differences while training, but on the other I would say

1: roll with some players who are expert on these, or watch their replays.

2: go up some other lines to get to know the strengths and weaknesses of other tank types. Russian heavy is an obvious choice.

Tito

PS. what happened around your 1000 battle mark? Your stats took a sharp drop there.

I would say mistake counts separates the top elite from rest of the purples. Between purple, blue, green, and reds, there are other factors like map, vision, mechanics, focus fire, when to engage knowledge that separate the tiers, which I'm too lazy to write in detail on my phone.

Weak spots

Reload times

Gun penetration values

Armor values

Camo values

VR values

Map layouts

Map Deployments

Firing lines

Minimap Reading

Minimap Interpreting

Spotting mechanics

General Pubbie tactics and how to counter/prepare for them

Using Pubbies as meatshields correctly

Once you get all of those down, then we'll figure out what you have left to work on.

^ what he said 

and 

Knowledge about the tanks you are using (how to use the positive side of it)

Knowledge about the thank in-front of you

Situasional awareness.

how to minimize the chance of you getting damage while you still can do damage to them. (view range abuse, angling, side scrape, hull down, wiggling, using object for cover, etc)

"Tell me what I need to do to become purple" isn't a good question. If you find willing players, they can review replays for you and point out mistakes, but it is really up to you to research how these players play, and then attempt to emulate. In the meantime, try to figure out why they do what they do through critical analysis of their replays and specific questions directed to them. 

Through consistent efforts on these fronts, you can attain glory. Or you can do it my way, and play trial-and-error for 31k. The former is far more efficient, but the latter approach works for the lazies. 

I think this answers his question perfectly, watch a lot of replays from good players which you can find on official forums and here....try to understand why given player went to a given spot, what and how he did what he did....learn...ask...try it yourself...it all comes thorugh research and practice..there is no ready receipt for success.

If you want "tips" on how to play, check the "" thread. Unless you have further questions, I believe this topic is resolved.