Enaris

Caernarvon

4 hours ago, hall0 said:

So I am not alone with my suffering. After grinding the BP I've reached this piece of trash. First things first. I drove this thing totally stock with nothing researched. The 17 pdr APCR spam burned my credits. It was one of the shittiest experiences I've ever had. But it got better after the 20pdr. Better but not good. I say this even after having everything but the third engine researched by now. The only good thing about this tank is the gun depression. I am happy when I finally can sell this trash again. The alpha for a heavy is just bad. 

Maybe after the buffs this tank gets good, but I don't care because I won't buy this thing ever again. 

I liked the 17 with apcr more than the 20 but i went broke (reached less than 3000 credits) playing it.

I have to agree that the pew pew was nice now and then, but the alpha was just too low. I can't even permatrack enemies reliable. It takes two or three shot to take somebody else's track of.

Usually it goes like this: shot, nothing happens. Shot again. Enemies track maybe blown off. He repairs. You shot again. Nothing happens. He is back in cover again. 

Once I changed to 20pdr I felt such a relief. Finally I trade for +200 :P if I am lucky I can even blow off the enemy track on one shot. Marvelous! 

I never in my life wanted so badly to bot, i mean i already have less than 40% WR in this. It's impossible to do anything, i'm going to cry in frustration. And the MM it's relentless 2 and a half hours playing not a single game were i was top tier.

Beside Radio and Conq this tank is now elite. I accepted that it will remain bad/medicore. It is not utter shit anymore like it was stock but it is still not fun to play. Good thing WG flooded the EU with XP boosts recently so I can use them on this tank. The less I have to play this tank the better. 

Ok, I have now played three games in this tank (got everything free xp'd except top engine and radio) and it is utter garbage. How the fuck am I supposed to play this tank? Medium to long range sniper?

3 hours ago, Taze said:

Ok, I have now played three games in this tank (got everything free xp'd except top engine and radio) and it is utter garbage. How the fuck am I supposed to play this tank? Medium to long range sniper?

Yes. You are a medium tank with slightly better armor, slightly better gun and much worse mobility. The vehicle currently fills no niche that needs filling and has no strengths outside it's niche.

P.S: Just watched their video about the tank updates in 9.20.1. Sometimes I think they are taking snippets of text from here and paste it 1:1 into their public statements. Not a criticism, as many things said here are spot on, just an observation.

On 9/15/2017 at 5:58 AM, Taze said:

You are a centurion who can afford to show more it's hull while being hull down and require depression to get autobounce forehead turret armour. You don't have good dpm with your gun (despite low alpha) so you can easily get overwhelmed. Keep things at mid-range if you can, and don't be afair to do a little wiggle.

The first shot that connected in the new and improved Caernarvon felt so good for many reasons, but one in particular:

oAUTkVg.jpg

I'm having fun playing the game again. All it took was putting the Caern to where it was supposed to be in the first place. And that shot. :maniac:

19 minutes ago, MacusFlash said:

I want this thing so badly but I am not willing to give myself a torture playing Black Prince. Still wish I could play this combination of DPM, pen and armor on live server.

The BP is/was much more enjoyable than the Caernarvon. The turret can bounce up to Jagdtiger shels, and the DPM is decent enough, the mobility is cancerous though.

2 minutes ago, Nkrlz said:

The BP is/was much more enjoyable than the Caernarvon. The turret can bounce up to Jagdtiger shels, and the DPM is decent enough, the mobility is cancerous though.

Mobility, low alpha and penetration on AP and hull armor (especially hull behind tracks) - these are main flaws that keep me away from BP. I'd play it with 20 pounder gun alpha and 200 AP pen.

The DPM on this thing is ridiculous now. When you catch a tank out it gets evaporated. And RIP anyone that gets perma tracked. I believe this vehicle now has the 6th best DPM out of all the available heavy tanks in the game right now and it is only a tier 8.

18 hours ago, MacusFlash said:

Mobility, low alpha and penetration on AP and hull armor (especially hull behind tracks) - these are main flaws that keep me away from BP. I'd play it with 20 pounder gun alpha and 200 AP pen.

Who wouldn't play the BP like that?  It would instantly be a preferred tank at tier 7

42 minutes ago, Smbakeresq said:

Who wouldn't play the BP like that?  It would instantly be a preferred tank at tier 7

230 alpha with 200 standard pen combined with terrible mobility and flat hull armor? No, T29 is the king of tier 7.

1 hour ago, MacusFlash said:

230 alpha with 200 standard pen combined with terrible mobility and flat hull armor? No, T29 is the king of tier 7.

"Preferred" doesn't mean "best," it means "tend to choose."  

Anyway 230 and 200 is a vast improvement over 150 and 171. It would instantly change the tank from terrible grind/ free xp through to ok or more depending on DPM and gun handling.  The 45.03 doesn't seem bad and the streamers I have seen play say its ok, its a vast improvement over the BP. That's the only point I was making.

As it stands now the BP is just a tank you grind through, tap 3xR, hold fire button down.

19 hours ago, KingTrygon said:

The DPM on this thing is ridiculous now. When you catch a tank out it gets evaporated. And RIP anyone that gets perma tracked. I believe this vehicle now has the 6th best DPM out of all the available heavy tanks in the game right now and it is only a tier 8.

After I grind through it and sell it of course it gets improved.

I wish the gave the same 32lber to the At15.

52 minutes ago, Smbakeresq said:

After I grind through it and sell it of course it gets improved.

I wish the gave the same 32lber to the At15.

To be honest I think all the 20 pounders on the AT line should get replaced with a version of the heavy line 32 pounder. Not only would it mean that they'd get the alpha boost but it would be the weapon the vehicles would have used in real life had they been pressed into service. But I also think a lot more needs to be done. Down tiering the Tortoise to tier VIII with a 32 pounder and adding FV205 at tier IX, leading to FV217, would do much to make its armour relevant for a start. I guess a old style 32 pounder AT-15 could replace AT-7 because no one cares about that tank...

8 minutes ago, KingTrygon said:

To be honest I think all the 20 pounders on the AT line should get replaced with a version of the heavy line 32 pounder. Not only would it mean that they'd get the alpha boost but it would be the weapon the vehicles would have used in real life had they been pressed into service. But I also think a lot more needs to be done. Down tiering the Tortoise to tier VIII with a 32 pounder and adding FV205 at tier IX, leading to FV217, would do much to make its armour relevant for a start. I guess a old style 32 pounder AT-15 could replace AT-7 because no one cares about that tank...

its not a bad idea.  The 20's cant track a tank all the time but the 32 does seem to do so most times.  The 20 is just the best of 2 middling choices

This thing is officially retarded. No tank should have this mix of armour, accuracy and DPM - at least not without getting completely fucked in mobility or some other stat. 

As it is, the tank has TD levels of DPM - more than the E5 @ Tier 10, is the 5th most accurate tank in tier, has the best on the move accuracy of any Tier 8 heavy. The thing is effective DPM, and the Caern is truly devastatingly effective. Tanks like the AMX 30, the STB-1, and the 430 pay for raw DPM with low accuracy and bad bloom - not so the Caern, which is more accurate, with comparable bloom, and a turret that lets you aim all the way in. This means, in a decent position, the Caern can and will out DPM most Tier 9s you see, not to mention some 10s.

The armour is also better than it needs to be. The turret is tough, rightfully so, at 250 EA, with strong zones at the centre and around the edges. The UFP remains unchanged at about 220 EA. The problem is when one takes into account the gun depression of this thing, which gives around 280 EA (against AP) when only taking into account of the vertical angle, which means that the tank can sometimes resist the now ubiquitous 340 pen HEAT. At Tier 8, the number of tanks that can defeat this protection is....worryingly few. Let us not even bring up the retarded side buffs and the removal of the turret ring weakspots which makes the tank one of the better sidescrapers in tier.

Finally, tying it all together is the mobility and flexibility of this thing. For some reason, it retains decent-ish mobility as well as agility. It is not the fastest thing around, certainly, but it is no Lowe.

I am averaging 2.1k dpg so far - unimpressive for any good player - but more than some of my 10s. It seems irresistible to conclude that with the Caern, Conq and 215b changes, the entire American heavy line has lost what role it had been left in the game.

I have 90% crew and not even the best engine. Still the tank is solid to say the least. 280 alpha is mile better than the pitiful in many ways 230. DPM is outrageous and gun handling is excellent even with ghetto crew. Now only if you would give this gun to FV4202...

Get this tank before it gets nerfed.

On 10/20/2017 at 0:08 AM, MacusFlash said:

I finished BP in 41 games (about half of those platooned), I'm sure you can do it at same, if not even faster. It's really not that much, just use personal reserves and platooning (for wins and extra xp).

The gun-turret-upper hull combo is divine, but holy shit is the platform trash. Not only is the hull the size of a small cruiser, it also takes 300-ish hits from tier 6 artillery. It's crazy, and I thought the Chrysler had it bad.

My original plan was to take the female crew from the Caravan for the tier 10 and keep the two Conq's. But I love this tank while the Conqueror bores me senseless. So the latter will donate it's crew to the Super C. and probably get sold. Cause who cares if you struggle to pen tier 10 HTs and TDs when you can permatrack them instead?

The dpm does go to my head and too many yolos are still had...