Fire70

Showcase of MM is fine, Arty is balanced and the map team are gud

10 minutes ago, Ezz said:

The point was that if there was a simple cause, why doesn't it happen every time that 'cause' occurs. Ie i've been in battles where things remain unspotted, yet still got battle results. So why the 'sometimes'?

Honestly dont even think WG know its an issue, its been around for ages, and the only ideas Ive seen have been other players comparing notes and guessing.

Odds are its like most intermittent bugs, theres a strangely specific set of events that need to occur to trigger it, and some of them will be random shit that you'd think shouldnt matter like battle time or distance travelled, or whether your monitor has a matte or glossy screen.

Just now, karl0ssus1 said:

Odds are its like most intermittent bugs, theres a strangely specific set of events that need to occur to trigger it, and some of them will be random shit that you'd think shouldnt matter like battle time or distance travelled, or whether your monitor has a matte or glossy screen.

So far we seem all on the same page that it seems to happen once in a while in randoms, but more often in CW. And apparently more often against some opponents in CW. Yet people are happy with 'is just bad WG coding'?

It's like tin foil hats on top of tin foil hats or something.

I loaded into a game today, countdown completes, and a walker bulldog says in chat: [the message the system gives when you're out of ammo].

Being a bit peeved with retards, and needing to reset my battle buddy, I shoot him once.

it turns out he did have ammo, and although he never shot me in return he did let his feelings be known. Cant say I blame him. Yet the fact remains that it appeared he had no ammo.

Any ideas?

3 minutes ago, Ezz said:

So far we seem all on the same page that it seems to happen once in a while in randoms, but more often in CW. And apparently more often against some opponents in CW. Yet people are happy with 'is just bad WG coding'?

It's like tin foil hats on top of tin foil hats or something.

Ive never experienced the bolded part myself, and would not believe a word of what is spouted on the official forums regarding it only happening when you play (insert viet clan/gud clan). Because official forums yo, its basically Confirmation Bias the Movie over there. 

Also one would have to question how client side changes are supposed to affect the data sent to other clients in a serverside game.

Just now, karl0ssus1 said:

Also one would have to question how client side changes are supposed to affect the data sent to other clients in a serverside game.

This is the bit that seems the hardest to explain...

So does the server somehow ask clients who's been spotted? That doesn't sound right, but ... is bad WG coding?

Do the servers send at the end of a battle 'so, this is what happened today'? And perhaps randomly those packets get lost. I'm guessing this is the most plausible. But doesn't fully explain why it happens in CW. Unless i guess CW battles typically have more players all leaving at once, so PL could be more of an issue?

The random nature doesn't sound right either.

So then there's the theory that somehow a mod could cause this. Again, doesn't sound right. What sort of mod would be involved?

According to the prevailing theory of how the game works, its some variant on #2. Odds are theres a combination of events that causes the server to think its transmitted the data correctly to the client, when its actually using some values that the client cant make sense of, or is only sending partial reports.

This isnt the first game Ive played that has at some point run into problems displaying post match data either, which is why I dont view it as immediately suspicious. IIRC warfarm used to do something similar, was some sort of netcode thing that was losing data somewhere between the host, the player data server and the client. Different setup I know, but shit can go wrong for all sorts of reasons in a system as complex as a MMO.

12 hours ago, TheRandomDude said:

Sorry , my mistake , I meant what Switzerland had to do in order to join the single market. 

Yeah, "negotiating with the EU" could be considered an oxymoron. You can see it already, "We want to have a close relationship with the UK" but then "you must accept free movement of people" in the next breath. The UK is a much larger and much more influential partner than Switzerland though.

9 minutes ago, karl0ssus1 said:

According to the prevailing theory of how the game works, its some variant on #2. Odds are theres a combination of events that causes the server to think its transmitted the data correctly to the client, when its actually using some values that the client cant make sense of, or is only sending partial reports.

This isnt the first game Ive played that has at some point run into problems displaying post match data either, which is why I dont view it as immediately suspicious. IIRC warfarm used to do something similar, was some sort of netcode thing that was losing data somewhere between the host, the player data server and the client. Different setup I know, but shit can go wrong for all sorts of reasons in a system as complex as a MMO.

Shit can go wrong... if your shit is coded poorly enough... so we're back to 'is shit WG code'.

21 minutes ago, Ezz said:

Shit can go wrong... if your shit is coded poorly enough... so we're back to 'is shit WG code'.

Pretty much. But shit can go wrong for reasons even good coders wouldnt expect. Even AAA studios release horrible buggy messes on occasion (or all the time if theyre run by EA).

Real issue is really WG being shit@bugfixing. Look at how long the Fishermans Bay crash issues hung around for (were they even resolved in 9.15?).

Way back when I actually played clan wars the system seemed to work OK. Any unspotted enemies came up with the name and the little ? tank icon in the battle results, even if they did nothing. Guess they broke it one patch then haven't been able to fix it properly since.

Too many outstanding bugs in the game, but fixing them doesn't bring in much revenue unless they are properly game breaking. Being unable to see clan wars battle results sometimes has to be pretty far down the priority list if it's even on it.

6 minutes ago, Otto-matic Reiffel said:

Way back when I actually played clan wars the system seemed to work OK. Any unspotted enemies came up with the name and the little ? tank icon in the battle results, even if they did nothing. Guess they broke it one patch then haven't been able to fix it properly since.

Too many outstanding bugs in the game, but fixing them doesn't bring in much revenue unless they are properly game breaking. Being unable to see clan wars battle results sometimes has to be pretty far down the priority list if it's even on it.

IIRC it started when they began pulling unnecessary and exploitable data out of the client-server dialogue. So yeah, youre probably on to something.

4 hours ago, HiLLY said:

You attack us, and then camped/turtled at your own base, we are just parked up and went for a break and put the kettle on.

If you are going to attack us at least try and win!

We are new to tier 8. After probing we got to the stage where we knew we couldn't win so preserved tanks as we don't have many. We were in your base as well as ours. We will choose how we play and learn, not you.

58 minutes ago, HoPe said:

We are new to tier 8. After probing we got to the stage where we knew we couldn't win so preserved tanks as we don't have many. We were in your base as well as ours. We will choose how we play and learn, not you.

You aren't ever going to learn anything by turtling in your own base though, especially if you specifically do it on fights you don't think you can win (protip: failure is far more conductive towards learning than just about anything else), and at any rate making condescending remarks towards those who are clearly far more versed than yourself in such matters seems more than a tad hollow.

8 hours ago, westybig said:

i almost logged back in the other day, sadly apathy reached critical levels when i got to the enter password stage

I haven't even clicked on the launcher for a few weeks now. XD I searched deep within the dark dusty recesses of my soul and could not find any fucks to give.

5 hours ago, AdrianK said:

I loaded into a game today, countdown completes, and a walker bulldog says in chat: [the message the system gives when you're out of ammo].

Being a bit peeved with retards, and needing to reset my battle buddy, I shoot him once.

it turns out he did have ammo, and although he never shot me in return he did let his feelings be known. Cant say I blame him. Yet the fact remains that it appeared he had no ammo.

Any ideas?

Please tell me you were driving a 183 when you shot him.

4 hours ago, MKW said:

Yeah, "negotiating with the EU" could be considered an oxymoron. You can see it already, "We want to have a close relationship with the UK" but then "you must accept free movement of people" in the next breath. The UK is a much larger and much more influential partner than Switzerland though.

the EU needs the UK and the UK benefits a lot from the EU, this is one of the biggest problems with the EU. they are so ignorant of what the average voter wants and they pursue their progressive left wing agenda at the cost of their own community. they should at least be smart enough to maintain close economic ties with the 5th biggest economy in the world.

hollande is more than likely enjoying his last stint in french politics, merkal sadly seems more popular

1 hour ago, Storm said:

You aren't ever going to learn anything by turtling in your own base though, especially if you specifically do it on fights you don't think you can win (protip: failure is far more conductive towards learning than just about anything else), and at any rate making condescending remarks towards those who are clearly far more versed than yourself in such matters seems more than a tad hollow.

We were all over the map, learn to read. Yes we had 4 tanks defending our base as they mainly had meds and would be silly to be capped out while attacking. We attacked them again today and did better, it's called learning the enemy. But following your advice we couldn't have cause 10 tanks would have been locked without a possible replacement.

They are a better team than us, we get that so are not rushing in like a bunch of idiots.

1 hour ago, HoPe said:

We were all over the map, learn to read. Yes we had 4 tanks defending our base as they mainly had meds and would be silly to be capped out while attacking. We attacked them again today and did better, it's called learning the enemy. But following your advice we couldn't have cause 10 tanks would have been locked without a possible replacement.

They are a better team than us, we get that so are not rushing in like a bunch of idiots.

like camping mines on 7v7 tier 6. where your strat is to snipe cromwells with your fv304 :serb:

1 minute ago, westybig said:

like camping mines on 7v7 tier 6. where your strat is to snipe cromwells with your fv304 :serb:

Did it do ok? On average I think my mob are 47% players. Sometimes we do well, other times we fail. But we have fun.

8 hours ago, JOC469 said:

I thought the problem was due to fog of war in CW. WG doesn't pass the data to the client when the game starts like it does in a pub game (otherwise Hopey would be using a mod to see the enemy team lineup). There is a problem with the client generating the battle results screen from the supplied data and it was a low priority fix because WG storing replays server side was going to fix it.

Happens in pubes too when you quit battle early. Even if its 5 seconds before game end.

Lately I've only ever had it in CW not pub matches.  CW has elements that aren't in pub matches like the fog of war and tank locking. You'll notice it happens to every member of one team simultaneously, so it can't be mod related.

19 hours ago, Ezz said:

This is the bit that seems the hardest to explain...

So does the server somehow ask clients who's been spotted? That doesn't sound right, but ... is bad WG coding?

Don't forget that this game is very very server oriented. The server decides what you see and who sees you, what you hit and what hits you.