Yes, but the 3 shots to kill a tier 7 medium take 20 seconds. A Comet can put a shot into you every 3 seconds for ~140 damage.

I keep being told to not let the reticle close in fully to shoot, but it doesn't seem to work as well for me. My snapshots sometimes hit, no doubt, but often they disperse away from my point of aim. And with the HEAT nerfs, hitting spaced armor, tracks, or a non-weakpoint with the reduced pen means a bounce. 

I also have settled into a style of using terrain and distance to reduce incoming damage. The IS-2 runs completely counter to that style of play.

Yes, but the 3 shots to kill a tier 7 medium take 20 seconds. A Comet can put a shot into you every 3 seconds for ~140 damage.

I keep being told to not let the reticle close in fully to shoot, but it doesn't seem to work as well for me. My snapshots sometimes hit, no doubt, but often they disperse away from my point of aim. And with the HEAT nerfs, hitting spaced armor, tracks, or a non-weakpoint with the reduced pen means a bounce. 

I also have settled into a style of using terrain and distance to reduce incoming damage. The IS-2 runs completely counter to that style of play.

Yeah, but are you really going to let the comet keep shooting you?

I basically never aim in on the IS-6, I just snapshot everything.  I sometimes miss 3-4 shots in a row but that happens.  You have to get used to D-25-T's if you're going to be good with D-25-T's.

Also if you stand by your last point, then you shouldn't playing the IS-2 or the rest of the Chinese line at all.  The Chinese playstyle is to get up close and personal, make sure there is not a lot of terrain because their depression is shit and brawl.

There is something funky going on with the second IS-2 gun. I tend to take snap shots before the gun is fully zoomed, just like I do on many other tanks (notably my KV-1S), but the rounds from this 122mm gun seem to go all over the place when I do that. I accept that I will miss more doing that, but having shots hitting birds when aiming down hill is a bit much. I just unlocked the top gun and look forward to seeing if that is any better, or if I really have to wait for 3 seconds before shooting at short-ish ranges (100-150 meters) at large targets like the Tiger I.

There is something funky going on with the second IS-2 gun. I tend to take snap shots before the gun is fully zoomed, just like I do on many other tanks (notably my KV-1S), but the rounds from this 122mm gun seem to go all over the place when I do that. I accept that I will miss more doing that, but having shots hitting birds when aiming down hill is a bit much. I just unlocked the top gun and look forward to seeing if that is any better, or if I really have to wait for 3 seconds before shooting at short-ish ranges (100-150 meters) at large targets like the Tiger I.

The second IS-2 gun has 0.48 accuracy, and horribad dispersion on top of that. Even the 2-sigma changes won't help you when your reticle is that big! The top gun is slightly better, but not by much (0.46 v 0.48).

Well I'm comparing it to the KV-1S 122mm gun and find I can't make the shots I can make in the KV with this gun. If that is the difference of a 0.02 that is a lot more than I expected. Are there any hidden gun characteristics that could make the difference more pronounced?

Given the way the dispersion works, as the numbers get bigger, the small differences become more and more pronounced. Crab has a better understanding of this than I do, so he can explain better.

I rage sold the IS-2 once because I hate the gun handling.  I bought it back again because I do want a 110 and WZ111-14 some day, but I just can't bring myself to play it.  I favor the get-in-there aggressive play of the IS-6 and KV-3 much better than this thing.  Hell, the gun handling on the KV-3 seems sublime compared to this.  Additionally though I was a terrible IS driver.

Well I'm comparing it to the KV-1S 122mm gun and find I can't make the shots I can make in the KV with this gun. If that is the difference of a 0.02 that is a lot more than I expected. Are there any hidden gun characteristics that could make the difference more pronounced?

Post here: 

Basically, ~46% of the shots should hit the inner 30% or so of the circle. However, as the circle gets bigger (0.3 to 0.35 to 0.4 to 0.46) the area of the inner circle at range becomes magnified. Remember that the area of a circle is calculated by π x r (squared). So the size of the area you will hit will increase by a squared amount, an exponential rise, not a linear. The farther the distance you shoot, the larger the area you are aiming at, and the bigger the chance of missing.

Crab, correct me if I am wrong.

I absolutely despise the stock 100mm gun.  It aims too slowly for how much alpha it does, IMO. (Probably partially due to dispersion) 

It's not even all that accurate, so missed shots ~250m+ aren't infrequent.

I recently got my crew to 90% in it, along with the first 122mm.  Haven't played any actual games with it yet, but I did enjoy it in the Soviet IS when I went through it.  The 122mm isn't as accurate as the 100mm, but I find the higher alpha more comfortable to use for peeking and for finishing weak targets.

Post here: 

Basically, ~46% of the shots should hit the inner 30% or so of the circle. However, as the circle gets bigger (0.3 to 0.35 to 0.4 to 0.46) the area of the inner circle at range becomes magnified. Remember that the area of a circle is calculated by π x r (squared). So the size of the area you will hit will increase by a squared amount, an exponential rise, not a linear. The farther the distance you shoot, the larger the area you are aiming at, and the bigger the chance of missing.

Crab, correct me if I am wrong.

essentially correct.  Just a math grammar nazi in that it isn't an exponential rise in the strictist sense of the term--"just" r^2 (r sqaured rise)

Usually the term exponential is used only for terms e^x (e being euler's constant) where as this is an x^2 (notice variable not the exponent). 

Just finished it. I enjoyed the last 30k exp, I did it in just one session. :)

It was a bit painful at first tho, no gun depression and long aim times require some adjusting. When I look back now, I would rank it pretty high. On most maps I perform just as well as in a T29, but when terrain gets rough T29 becomes godly, and this thing does not. It also lacks usable armor "stronk" spots, which often forces me to exchange shells with noobies.

Would anyone recommend skipping the tracks and the 2nd 122mm to reach the 110 faster? The 2nd 122mm does not seem worth it unless you plan on using IS-2 for awhile. With enhanced torsion bars you should be able to still mount 2 pieces of equipment and not be over the weight limit, right?

I advise any IS-2 players to use the 100mm until you get the second 122, because the first 122 doesn't quite have the DPM boost to make up for derpiness compared to the 100. Also, I hope you have the engine upgrade from the Type 58...

If you have a 105% crew i.e. 100% + BIA (I do BIA first on all crew members to increase interchangeability of crews between vehicles or even lines if I need to move them) then even if you lack 6th (experience teaches you 6th in a lot of situations heavies should/could be in) you should be FINE with even just toolbox, camo net and binocs (in other words I'm too cheap to put real equipment on it). The 122's accuracy is workable in the ranges you should be fighting at just slinging AP (see E-75? Go somewhere else or flank him while he's distracted, or shoot turret side). I finished my IS-2 grind at 61% wins in it. It's a solid tank, even in tier 9 it can hurt the weaker enemies for your allies, or put holes in the sides of any tier 9 short of the T95 (a bit more technique is required to pen a T95's side with 175 AP).

Before I forget, take your time to aim in, you have HP, use it. Anything with sub-150 pen penning you frontally is most likely YOUR driver error i.e. letting him shoot your thin LFP.

Just elited the Type 58 and starting to stock grind this thing, looking forward to it since I've heard it is a flat upgrade of the IS.

Having played through the IS and liked it, is there anything I should differently compared to the IS or should I just play it the same?

I've managed some good bounces off the UFP (IS-3, KV-1S gold) with a good bit of angling, but at the same time a stock T29 (with the M1A2) was punching holes through my LFP with every single shot...

Also would it be a good idea to skip the first 122mm completely, the soft stats seem even worse than on the russian 122 with negligible dpm difference compared to the 100mm.

I will be playing this tank a lot in the next few days.  Due to the event and the ability to unlock and buy a reduced price tank.  No I will not spam out 18k exp every day to get a free 6 dollar tank.  But I may get a few repair kits. 

Using this thread to point out a few things I have noticed on this tank.  I have the tank modules unlocked and just finishing up the final exp to unlock the next tank.  I run a crew that just finished achieving BIA and now working on next skill set.

1.  The speed is nice it can get moving when needed.  It allows decent self protection form the circle of death and helps you to take corners and ambush opponents on reloads.   

2.  The gun (122 mm D-25T) penetration is reliable if it hits and rarely do I feel the need to switch to premium ammo

3.  Alpha is a steady 300ish thump

4.  Accuracy well it is an Achilles heel you can make a cup a coffee before the aim circle moves a MM.  (this can be offset by crew skill and un aimed shots (basically get as much of the target in the rectile and fire)

5. Sniping well not a strong point but it is doable if you take the time to aim and are not sitting in the open. 

6.  When on top aggressive play is the best situation.  When in the middle then I turn opportunistic.  Allowing stronger teammates to engage and me using my speed to flank and get rear /side shots. 

7.  Armor or lack of .... you have a front plate angle it a little and it will bounce.  The turret is good against lower tier targets but stronger tanks will rip it apart. 

8.  I will mention ramming is viable option since the speed is there for you to take advantage of...especially against unaware scouts.  I have taken out the curse of RNG tanks (1-10 Health remaining) many times with a good full speed ram.    

I run Rammer / Camo and tool box.  GLD is a waste for this tanks slow aim, and I really have not had any issues with ammo racks or fires or any modules.  (I did have a match with a 2 x turret lock back to back it was an early game killer for me)  but other than that nothing weak enough to worry about. 

I really enjoy this tank more than I did the IS.  I have a crap win rate but keep in mind I stock grinded every module.   This tank gives me a carry feeling since it can move and it has good alpha and penetration.  The decent match making it receives seems to allow this tank to shine. 

I run Rammer / Camo and tool box.  GLD is a waste for this tanks slow aim, and I really have not had any issues with ammo racks or fires or any modules.  (I did have a match with a 2 x turret lock back to back it was an early game killer for me)  but other than that nothing weak enough to worry about. 

Dude.

I'll assume you're running with this equipment setup because you don't have any laying drives or vents lying around and you don't have the credits to buy any more, but......

As a close-range fighter with a long reload you absolutely have to make sure as many of your shots count to increase your chances of winning. The toolbox and camo do jack shit to this end. Please, get a laying drive as soon as you can.

GLD is a waste for this tanks slow aim,

I have a crap win rate but keep in mind I stock grinded every module.  because I literally do not understand what equipment is for and how it can help me.

GLD is exactly used to deal with long aim times. You don't need a GLD on an E5, you need it on a Russian style heavy.

I have 2k DPG in this tank. PONDER DAT. 

Before or after HEAT nerf?

I can see 2K DPG. I don't really think that is out of line for a purple player.

Before or after HEAT nerf?

I can see 2K DPG. I don't really think that is out of line for a purple player.

Well after the HEAT mechanics nerf, and during the 300 to 250 pen change. In my experience the difference wasn't all that much, because its a tier 7 so doesn't see that much big armor, and the gun is derpy as shit.