Sign in to follow this  
Vikarion

I suck, and I want to be better.

Hey all. This is my first post, and I hope I'm doing it right by posting here.

I suck at world of tanks. I have only a 53% win rate (out of about 5400 battles), and I'm absolutely abysmal in heavy tanks, my preferred class. My Lowe, my most played tank, sits at 48% after 340 battles. And, after screwing up the last few battles, I'm irritated enough at myself to come ask for help. 

When I try to hold the line, the enemy always seems to manage to bring 2-3 tanks more than we have there. When I try to flank, I inevitably get hit by invisible enemies across the map, arty, or I run into an enemy tank that uses me as a pincushion. When I try to find a good spot to use the strengths of my tank (hull down T34, for example), I watch the rest of the team run off and die horribly, and then I die making a rather futile stand. 

I know there must be a proper way to use these tactics, but I don't know what they are. How do you know what's a safe flank? How do you find a weak spot to force? How do you use slow tanks on maps like Malinovka? 

I know these are general questions, probably too general, but I don't even know the right questions to ask. So, here's the patient, if I can prevail upon the generosity of any of you to provide a diagnosis and treatment.  =D

I'd like to upload replays, if someone can give me a site to do so. 

Dude i have joined here and i am even worse than you, hoping that just by reading what is contained within this forum and even applying a little of that will improve my pixellated tank play.

Step 1: Understand the battle mechanics.

Read: http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Battle_Mechanics

Step 2: Understand the types of players you're going to encounter.

Read:

Optional Reading:

Step 3: Understand the barriers in front of you.

Read:

Step 4: Get the basics mastered:

Read:

Step 5: Get some tips on things you probably need to think about while playing:

Read:

Read:

Step 6: Platoon with like minded people (always try and platoon with people better than you), use TS and discuss what does and doesn't work. Talk about tanks while you play. Listen to the better players, and watch them exclusively when you are dead and they are not. Ask questions.

Step 7: Post results here for all to read.

Wiser minds might have a more informed opinion of this, but I've become convinced that my T34 created and reinforced a lot of my bad habits. I think it's low speed and need for hull-down positions made me into a middle of the map camper. I've recently switched to an IS-6 in the hopes of re-jiggering my playstyle. I find I have to be MUCH more aggressive with the IS-6 than the T34.

Note that this is advice from someone with a lower WR than you, so keep that in mind.

Thanks, especially to Allurai and Kittikatt. I'll probably have more questions when I've gone through those, but now I have somewhere to start. Thanks much.  :smug: