badkenney

Best tier 4 or 5 that plays like a heavy?

What is the "best" tier 4 or 5 heavy that plays in a "traditional" heavy style for a player that has been arty-only?

My question is influenced by Lert's posting in the "other" forums about adapting play style to the tank. I know there is no easy answer to "best". In the absence of an infinite amount of time to learn and play, I'm curious to know what a specific good tank might be.

Thanks/

Edited by badkenney

KV-1 is the best heavy at tier 5, hands down. The T1 Heavy, however, teaches you valuable angling and sidescraping skills so as to maximize its otherwise mediocre armor, and also leads to arguably the best tier 10 heavy, excluding T57 (I don't count it as a heavy).

If you mean heavy in the sense of strongly armored and capable of being a spearhead for the advance I would suggest using the KV-1 or the Churchill Mk1

From my personal experience I found the T4 heavies to be a sorry lot: The B-1 struggles armor and pen wise one it is put in a T5 match which you will see a lot and from what I have heard the Douche Wagen 4 is even worse off armor wise and it's gun isn't exatly great either (it gets the 5cm KWk).
The AMX 40 is also kinda heavy-ish, but it suffers from any non-T4 game since it's armor is no longer good when facing 100mm+ pen guns.
If you are willing to give the Mathilda a try it might please you: It's armor is better (75mm) and it's best gun is a 121mm pen machine gun of death. The only limiting factor of that tank is it's speed.

The Curchill Mk1 might be a solid choice, since it has a great top gun, incredible front armor (177mm) however it suffers from lower armor on it's turret (around 80mm). It's side armor is also decent. This was my first heavy and my first T5 tank and I managed a 60%ish winrate with it. So I am a little bit biased... 8)

The KV-1 is a decent choice too. Correctly angled it's armor is Troll and it offers a good gun choice: a Pew-pew 57mm machine gun, a 122mm DERP and a 85mm that is in the middle between the two. :thumbup:

The T1 Heavy is a decent tank with a good DPM gun and awesome mobility. The best description is probably the  medium-heavy hybrid...
(If you want to give this a shot it is worth it since good front armor + good gun + good mobility allow for some fun maneuvers :verysmug: ). Side armor is baaaaaad though.

The BDR G1 B has a very good gun, but it's armor is bad (60mm). It is more of a sniper heavy I think, but I am not exactly qualified to talk about it since I haven't even managed to get a 1st class with mine and since I am currently still  below 50% Winrate (45%, worst win rate ever for a tank I liked... :# ).

The German VK is also more of a heavy sniper, but it prepares you for the later german heavies like the Tiger I. So not exactly a heavy heavy either. That however is not based on my experience, but on what I have heard and read, so I might be wrong...

So if you really want a heavy I would go for either the Mathilda at T4 or the Churchill Mk1 or the KV-1 at Tier 5. (There isn't exactly a bad choice for a T5 heavy, but some of them are not suitable to be a spearheading tank)

As you can see from my stats (very bad but moving in the desired direction), and tanks (almost exclusively arty), I'm not even sure how to ask a good question about this.

I've been a turn-based strategy gamer all my life but am enjoying very much this first-player, real-time shooter. For that reason, I've been playing SPG because it suits my temperament and style: a tank that relies a little less on agility and a little more on brute strength.

These replies from tankers who know a lot more than me are useful.

The Matilda is a tier IV medium that has amazing armor, a high ROF and can pen just about anything it faces, 

The trade-off is that it's sloooooooooow.  You won't be leading any charges with it.  It takes forever to get to a skirmish, and sometimes when you get there it's all over.  

KV1 - no dicsussion there

added bonus: leads to t6-7 heavies which are the pure definition of heavies (KV3 - T150) and also gives you the option to go into the direction of the IS3 (very good t8), if you want a little more mobility.

The tier 4 tank that plays like a heavy is the Matilda.  Most players utilize the 2 pounder because of the high ROF. 

The best tier 5 heavy tank is the KV-1.  I use the 85mm but, others will use the 122mm derp & 57mm.  The 85mm is the most flexible gun allowing you to use this tank in different roles if needed.  I really like the 57mm for my Russian medium tanks but, IMO the 85mm is the best gun for the KV-1. 

Also, IMO the B1 & DW2 are pieces of shit.  The gun on the B1 sucks.  The entire DW2 is sub-par.  I continue to keep a B1 crew in my barracks just in case WOT ever gets the multi-gun issue fixed.  If the B1 could use the hull mounted gun and remains in tier 4, this tank would be fun scary good.

I've played a ton of heavy tanks and have played each Tier 4 and Tier 5.   To answer your original question the KV-1 is the most "heavy" like heavy.   It teaches sidescraping and has immensely different play style depending on the gun you elect to use.   The T1 Heavy does NOT teach side scraping as the sides are so weak if you expose them you die.   But it is a more complete and fun tank to play in my view due to improved speed.

I've played a ton of heavy tanks and have played each Tier 4 and Tier 5.   To answer your original question the KV-1 is the most "heavy" like heavy.   It teaches sidescraping and has immensely different play style depending on the gun you elect to use.   The T1 Heavy does NOT teach side scraping as the sides are so weak if you expose them you die.   But it is a more complete and fun tank to play in my view due to improved speed.

Tier 4 - Matilda

Tier 5 - KV-1 -> I hate it myself, it's so slow and sluggish that I can't stand playing it, I prefer my good ol' T49 over it. :)

Simple as that. :)

Since you brought it up, I will add my 2 cents.  My favorite tier 4 is the M8A1 & tier 5 is the T49...hands down.

badkenny, I completely agree with most here that the Matilda (its listed as a medium but its really a heavy) and KV-1 are what you are looking for.

But I also want to add that I feel you are making an excellent choice in wanting to start with heavy tanks to learn the game outside of SPGs.  Heavy tanks allow you to learn maps are more forgiving to mistakes, they are also better to build up crews with.  Sixth Sense is definitely nice but in general you will know where the enemy is and the enemy will know where you are because you will be sticking a gun up their nose so its not critical like is it is in TDs or Lights or a lot of Mediums.

After you tried those tanks you might want to conside the USA line.  Once you get past the painful M3 Lee, the USA heavy line is great.  With the T1 Heavy keep your face to the enemy as all your armor is up front, 1 vs 1 is probably better than a KV-1 but KV-1 is better armored over all so easier to learn with.  M6 is not really a traditional heavy, its more of a heavy medium but then you get the hulk smash everything destroyer of tier which is the mighty T29 and that tank is definitely worth grinding but that is a ways into your future tanking career.

The tier 4 tank that plays like a heavy is the Matilda.  Most players utilize the 2 pounder because of the high ROF. 

The best tier 5 heavy tank is the KV-1.  I use the 85mm but, others will use the 122mm derp & 57mm.  The 85mm is the most flexible gun allowing you to use this tank in different roles if needed.  I really like the 57mm for my Russian medium tanks but, IMO the 85mm is the best gun for the KV-1. 

Also, IMO the B1 & DW2 are pieces of shit.  The gun on the B1 sucks.  The entire DW2 is sub-par.  I continue to keep a B1 crew in my barracks just in case WOT ever gets the multi-gun issue fixed.  If the B1 could use the hull mounted gun and remains in tier 4, this tank would be fun scary good.

I concur 100%

However I will say that the KV-1 while great is slow and can't flex much and many peoples skill/ability has out grown it and they tend to favor tanks like the T49.  I sold my Kv-1 because of this but for beginners its a very forgiving tank. I have and continue to wreck KV1's regularly in a T49

Beware however the tier 4 and 5 new German TD's  ... a bane to all tier 4 and 5 heavies with high pen high VR and great ROF ...

Hey, T1 heavy! It's just amazing. And it gets you to the T29 (M6 is not that good, but still decent) and up to 05 which is great, although I don't have it yet.

T1 was my "save today's stats" tank:) (now it's the t49 and hellcat).

badkenny, I completely agree with most here that the Matilda (its listed as a medium but its really a heavy) and KV-1 are what you are looking for. But I also want to add that I feel you are making an excellent choice in wanting to start with heavy tanks to learn the game outside of

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. I'm in no great rush to move up...it's scary up there...so a couple thousand battles at lower tiers (where I understand more mere mortals like myself live) seems wise.

Thanks to all who chimed in with their guidance. I've taken it to heart and will pick one or two from the lists given.

The T1 Heavy, however, teaches you valuable angling and sidescraping skills so as to maximize its otherwise mediocre armor

Like others have mentioned you pretty much want to be square to the enemy with the T1

What is the "best" tier 4 or 5 heavy that plays in a "traditional" heavy style for a player that has been arty-only?

My question is influenced by Lert's posting in the "other" forums about adapting play style to the tank. I know there is no easy answer to "best". In the absence of an infinite amount of time to learn and play, I'm curious to know what a specific good tank might be.

Thanks/

T1 best Tier 5 HT. Armor, mobility and firepower in one package. KV-1 is fun, but incapable of flexing.

T1 Heavy is a pretty great tank, and is more mobile than the KV-1, which makes it more flexible in my opinion. It gives up armour on the side in order to have the mobility, but the front armour is plenty thick. If you angle it slightly so as only to give a very steep angle of your side armour, you can bounce a a bunch of shells from other tier 5 tanks. So it might not be what you're looking for in terms of the heavy experience, but shouldn't be overlooked. Probably the KV-1 is the better tier 5 heavy tank, but don't discount the T1

The way I see it is the T1 Heavy bullies the heck out of tier 5 and can carry pretty hard, but rapidly falls off against anything of higher tier because its armour stops being a factor, where as the KV-1 is a beast at tier 5 but can still be a tough nut to crack for some tier 6s and the alpha on its 85mm will make tier 6s notice.

KV-1 better vs high tiers? It certainly isn't. It's too slow and too blind for tier 7 games, and it's armor is almost worthless.

T1s mobility gives it an edge in underdog scenarios, it can flank and also run away from trouble. It also has better view range, better APCR penetration, better gun elevation and more HP.

KV-1 better vs high tiers? It certainly isn't. It's too slow and too blind for tier 7 games, and it's armor is almost worthless.

T1s mobility gives it an edge in underdog scenarios, it can flank and also run away from trouble. It also has better view range, better APCR penetration, better gun elevation and more HP.

Also, the KV-1's armour, even in tier 6 games, is pretty worthless (see KV-1S, Hellcat, SU-100Y, and a shitton more) because when I see a KV-1 as a tier 6 tank, I think to myself: "free exp" due to their not-so-invincible armour and pathetic viewrange. At tier 7 the KV-1's armour is pretty much a joke (although being a Russian HT, the KV-1's tracks still eat shells, especially HEAT because they act as spaced armour).