badkenney

Best tier 4 or 5 that plays like a heavy?

KV-1 is in the garage....now I need to learn to drive it.

Angle well, use the 85mm gun for at least 75% of your matches, and make the right choice on where to go the first time, because changing your mind and going elsewhere will be sloooooow unless it's down a steep hill.

IMO:

• BT5 (mainly tier 3/4) - lolrape
  • BT5 (mainly tier 5) - You can easily be a game changer because your armour is very strong at this tier
  • BT6 - KV-1/T1 Heavy can still make a difference due to the HP difference between T5/T6 not being TOO great and KV-1/T1 Heavy both have decent guns for their tier (some tier 6 tanks have very similar guns to the KV-1/T1 Heavy - i.e. M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo shares the 76mm M1A1 gun with the T1 Heavy)
  • BT7 - Start praying

I can promise you that a KV-1 is better than a T1 in T6/7 games.

I disagree, as stated in Bobi_Kreeg's post, the T1 has mobility to escape being squished by tier 7 tanks if it's in a tight situation, while a KV-1 in a tight situation with tier 7 tanks becomes a 640 HP (or 590 HP, if you're even unluckier to be stock) bump in the road/exp & credits pinata. Not to mention that the KV-1's 85mm gun and 122mm gun both have atrocious aim times and bad accuracy (in the case of the 122mm gun, horrendous accuracy), so you can't snipe (successfully) and are sort of forced to go to the front lines to be slaughtered. However, the T1 Heavy has a decently accurate gun with acceptable accuracy and aim time (pretty much the same gun as the T49 except slightly worse soft stats), and can provide support fire from a support line.

Spoken from personal experience from driving the KV-1 for about 400 battles and the T1 for around 100

T1 Heavy in tier 7 can assume the role of a support sniper

KV-1 in tier 7 should just start praying for a miracle

T1's a huge loaf of bread.  I had a pretty good time in it, but I certainly didn't like its limitations.

T1 Heavy is a pretty great tank, and is more mobile than the KV-1, which makes it more flexible in my opinion. It gives up armour on the side in order to have the mobility, but the front armour is plenty thick. If you angle it slightly so as only to give a very steep angle of your side armour, you can bounce a a bunch of shells from other tier 5 tanks. So it might not be what you're looking for in terms of the heavy experience, but shouldn't be overlooked. Probably the KV-1 is the better tier 5 heavy tank, but don't discount the T1

The way I see it is the T1 Heavy bullies the heck out of tier 5 and can carry pretty hard, but rapidly falls off against anything of higher tier because its armour stops being a factor, where as the KV-1 is a beast at tier 5 but can still be a tough nut to crack for some tier 6s and the alpha on its 85mm will make tier 6s notice.

You can't angle T1 unless you have something nearby to hug with.  The cut corners (similar to the Tiger P) on the front are weak.

The MG on the front is weaksauce too.  Heck, the turret can be a giant weak spot too against some tier 5 and most tier 6+ tanks, since it has no mantlet unlike the KV-1.

The KV-1's armor works pretty well out-of-tier due to the reliance on giant tracks, an autobounce plate, and great sidescrape armor. It doesn't matter if you're fighting an Black Prince or a Churchill I, the only difference is that one of them can pen around your mantlet. It certainly is more comfortable for the 140+ pen guns at T6/7 to deal with, but the KV's frontal profile is, like many russian tanks, completely bullshit.

Like stated before, the T1 is an excellent T5 bully. The reload allows you to switch between the numerous low-health targets quickly, the frontal armor can provide immunity to low-tier fire better than the KV's can, and it can go through the process of getting to and pushing a flank much quicker than the fairly slow KV. However... these kinds of things fall apart really quickly. Yes, mobility is a good advantage even out of tier, but it stands in the shadow of all the characteristics that have come back to punish the T1. Being gigantic is a gigantic issue. Being gigantic with absolutely worthless armor is even worse. Having E-100 camo? That's pretty bad. 115 alpha? Not good. No mantlet? Mhm. You get the picture.

Maybe you are playing a different game. I hated my KV-1 in those high tier games.

It's impossible to hold a line against high tiers in either of them. But with a T1 I can escape from much more tanks, I can peak over a dune, I can light an enemy tank for arti, I can relocate... I can go wherever the fuck I want to, and still have enough armor to bully a low tier into submission.

Being both slow and blind doesn't help the KV when every third map in the game is an open desert map, my worst nightmare with a KV-1. The only thing to do there is to pick a corner to defend. If the enemy decides to attack some other corner, well tough luck mate, your allies are being slaughtered and there is jack shit you can do about it.

This massive popularity of T49s and other TDs killed it for me. After a few T49s raped it silly I finally rage sold it. And thank god for that, I soon discovered that I can make so much more credits even with an M7.

For Christ's sake, every other tank in its tier can shoot it without being spotted. The tank has just one stupid, boring, role and I can't find a reason for it being so over-glorified.

Maybe you are playing a different game. I hated my KV-1 in those high tier games.

It's impossible to hold a line against high tiers in either of them. But with a T1 I can escape from much more tanks, I can peak over a dune, I can light an enemy tank for arti, I can relocate... I can go wherever the fuck I want to, and still have enough armor to bully a low tier into submission.

Being both slow and blind doesn't help the KV when every third map in the game is an open desert map, my worst nightmare with a KV-1. The only thing to do there is to pick a corner to defend. If the enemy decides to attack some other corner, well tough luck mate, your allies are being slaughtered and there is jack shit you can do about it.

This massive popularity of T49s and other TDs killed it for me. After a few T49s raped it silly I finally rage sold it. And thank god for that, I soon discovered that I can make so much more credits even with an M7.

For Christ's sake, every other tank in its tier can shoot it without being spotted. The tank has just one stupid, boring, role and I can't find a reason for it being so over-glorified.

"Better than KV-1" doesn't change the fact that T1's view range is still trash at 330m. 

It's difficult to call that an advantage, especially with the T1's camo values being nearly half as good as the KV-1's while stationary (4.6% vs 7.4%, according to tank inspector) and still markedly worse while moving. (2.3% vs 3.7%)

I'm not arguing that the KV-1's camo is any good either, but the point here is that you will get spotted if you try to light stuff up in the T1, and that you will need to get pretty close to do it because 330m view range is still pretty bad when most tanks you encounter have 350m+ view range and/or better camo than you.

"Better than KV-1" doesn't change the fact that T1's view range is still trash at 330m.

It's difficult to call that an advantage, especially with the T1's camo values being nearly half as good as the KV-1's while stationary (4.6% vs 7.4%, according to tank inspector) and still markedly worse while moving. (2.3% vs 3.7%)

I'm not arguing that the KV-1's camo is any good either, but the point here is that you will get spotted if you try to light stuff up in the T1, and that you will need to get pretty close to do it because 330m view range is still pretty bad when most tanks you encounter have 350m+ view range and/or better camo than you.

T1's view range is fine for Tier 5.

330 view range/4.6% camo is not fine at all

How many tanks have better view range at Tier 5? No, you aren't likely to invisitank anybody, but you will light them by peeking over terrain and retreating.

18. I.E, the majority.

Huh. I hadn't actually checked the list to see how Tier 5s do on view range. Guess I won't bother picking up optics for my T1, then.