Salsaheaven

Hit rate - overrated stat?

29 posts in this topic

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"

-Wayne Gretzky

- Michael Scott

- Salsaheaven

No, seriously. I will shoot every destroayble cover, I will take potshots, I will snipe through windows at 500m, I don't really care about hit stats.

Should I really? I am not doing too shabby.

I don't think anyone other than endo takes hit ratio seriously (also endo thinks survival rating is an extremely important stat and the upmost measure of a unicum)

Hitrate as a stat doesn't mean much because it doesn't tell you why the shots that missed missed.

They might be missing because you're taking low margin shots when there aren't any better ones available, but when good shots are available you're taking them and making them count, or they might be missing because you're a tomato running a 50% crew who uses autoaim for everything and never lets the aim circle close and so can't hit the side of a Maus sitting in an open field.

And we've all seen them in action.

I don't really care about it that much, there are games where you get a sniper medal, and there are games where you shoot tank's cover, try these long, long shots on fast moving targets who just got off the radar. I don't really care about this stat, but if someone has 50% hit ration that surely tells you something.

I shoot down cover.. Take blind shots... On the run shots... Take ridiculous shots that should never hit but do anyway cuz rng... I don't think it matters as long as you are putting out the damage. Besides... A decent player can hit 30% of his shots and still do vastly more damage than pube who hit 100%.

If you're good it is among the most useless of stats. It doesn't really matter how much you're hitting if you're getting the same results.

If you're bad it can help explain why.

If you're good it is among the most useless of stats. It doesn't really matter how much you're hitting if you're getting the same results.

If you're bad it can help explain why.

This and only this

I was told that a better measure is to look at the number of Sniper medals one has relative to the number of battles which is a better measure of getting the shots to where they should go.

The overall hit rate is easily swayed by low tier spam cannons and some arty which rarely hit their target nowadays.

As long as your gun is reloaded by the time the next viable shot presents itself, and you do not have to conserve ammo, then by all means- fire blind, knock down cover, attempt to snapshot a cupola.

Hit rate is a very broad measure, a good hit rate doesn't denote a strong player, but a low one is a sign of a weak player.

A terribly low hit rate is a sign of poor technical ability, and is a confirmatory measure of a terribad.

Hit rate: Not overrated here.

Generally overrated by mediocre players that can aim as a justification of their skill.

It does indicate something, but like cap points, the correlation between it and winning tends to falter at a certain point.

I was told that a better measure is to look at the number of Sniper medals one has relative to the number of battles which is a better measure of getting the shots to where they should go.

With the introduction of more and more autoloading tanks, that became meaningless. Furthermore even before that, it depended on the tanks you played and your playstile.

Too high hit rate is probably bad sign.

There are many times where you can blind fire popular spots, or spots where people were last seen, or breaking walls, or just low probability shot in general (very small part of enemy tank is peeking out), but u need to take those shots regardless.

It would be nice if they also showed penetration rate.  Its great hitting a tank but if your not hitting in the right location it might as well be a miss.  I used to be proud of a high hit percentage, but not so much anymore.  Now I take shots on the move and skeet shooting lights flying towards our arty.

But you can get sniper medal even if all your hits bounce(unless it was changed recently), so no.

As others have said, it's not a terribly important thing... I think the main thing is

Do you hit the shots you are supposed to hit?  (Clean look, decent range for that particular gun, and so forth)  Since the stats can't differentiate between those shots, marginal shots, blind shots or cover-clearing shots, it's something that can only be judged in direct observation.  Of course, overall effectiveness is a good proxy stat to measure that as well, hehehe.

Hit rate is a very broad measure, a good hit rate doesn't denote a strong player, but a low one is a sign of a weak player.

A terribly low hit rate is a sign of poor technical ability, and is a confirmatory measure of a terribad.

This.  Also, it depends to some degree on the tank.  I'm as spammy as they come, but with high reload/autoloaders even I aim carefully and don't waste.  Accordingly, my accuracy is 80%+ on tanks like the AMX 50 100 but a mere 70% on the alc mule 1948 with the same accuracy but who wants to take more speculative, long range snipes without fear of reload.

I am very much guilty of paying attention to this metric. Not so much for e-peen stroking purposes (other than my own, quiet, personal satisfaction) but as some kind of measure of performance or lack thereof. I still don't like the idea of wasting too many shots but I've been recently watching a lot of good people playing this game and they seem to be much more liberal - not that that's thee thing that makes them great of course, but still, I found that interesting.

I will not shy away from taking an extremely unlikely shot, blow cover or fire for effect in important situations but if it does seem like 90% chance of waste - I am unlikely to take the shot. In defense of this approach, the tanks I'm decent in (IS-3/M103) I usually end the match with 2-3 shells left in the rack so there really isn't much I can spare for throwaways and try to make every shot count as much as possible. However, by extension I'm likely applying the same cautious approach to tanks that don't have the ammo capacity problem and it may very well cost me the match in the end.

Introspection.

IS-4: 82.51%

IS-7: 81.7%

T110E5: 81.94%

Chaffee: 68.67%

I am terribad at Chaffee :(

OTOH Chaffee is a tank that should be firing on the move more and snapshotting to minimise its exposure.

For a stat to be overrated implies that people were rating it in the first place.

I haven't looked at my hit rate in ages