Eagle_Peak

Another Crew Perks/Skills question

So I bought an M6 and the crew are at 100%, and I don't know which perks/skills I should put on each member. Also, I'm probably going to keep the crew for the T29. Any recommendations?

I'd go with repairs for first skill across the entire crew. Then go with with gunnery skills as you level up the second skill. It gets interesting when you're at 250%, then you can consider BiA, sixth sense and gunnery skills all done and maybe grind repairs as your third.

Just don't forget the good old repair skill for heavies, the fancy skills give little and take away a lot if preferred over repairs.

Also, vertstab, rammer and EGLD

So should I go:

• Commander - sixth, repairs, BIA
  • Gunner 1 -     repairs, whatever, BIA
  • Gunner 2 -     repairs, whatever, BIA
  • Driver -          repairs, clutch braking/offroad, BIA
  • Radio Op -     repairs, whatever, BIA
  • Loader -         repairs, whatever, BIA

cuz they're gonna be retrained a lot

fixed that for u

• Commander - sixth, repairs, Recon
  • Gunner 1 -     repairs, whatever, (only used on T6)
  • Gunner 2 -     repairs, snap shot (for T29 and beyond), designated target (prefered by me) or dead eye/camo
  • Driver -          repairs, clutch braking, smooth ride
  • Radio Op -     repairs, Situational Aw.,  camo
  • Loader -         repairs, Safe st.,  camo

Dont even think about BIA on  regular hvy tanks (auto loaders and arti are a different topic) until you finished your 3rd skill

I have grinded the American heavy line thru the T110E5.  I still use all the American heavies.  Since you are planning to move this crew to the T29 you should use repair as 1st skill for all (I normally do mentor on commander).  After they reach 100%, I retrain the commander to six sense & use repair for his 2nd skill.

T29:

Commander:  Six sense, repair, recon

Gunner:  repair, snap shot, camo

Driver:  Repair, clutch braking, off road driving.

Radio:  Repair, situational awareness, camo.

Loader 1:  Repair, safe stowage, camo

Loader 2:  Repair, camo

I don't use BIA until my 3rd or 4th skill since it only gives a 2.2% increase.  IMO, Six sense, repair, recon are more important for commander than BIA.  You could consider retraining to BIA after completing 3rd skill/perk.  However, the T29 is often tracked so, repair is REALLY important.

Check out QB's guide on crew skills for heavies, I'd say he nailed it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but QB had BIA trained first on all his heavy crews. There has been a lot of debate about training BIA early on or keeping it till the 3rd to 5th skill. The reasoning being that you get more improvements to stats by training each crew member in their individual skills compared to what you get with a fully trained BIA crew. See the following thread. 

I did some quick calculations from tanknumbers.com to show certain values on the M6. BIA is the firs number, while recon, clutch breaking, off road driving, situational awareness, and smooth ride are the numbers in parentheses. 

Hull Traverse (clutch breaking) - 26.66deg/s (27.38)

Terrain Resistance (offroad driving) - 1.03, 1.31, 2.16 (1.05, 1.31, 1.98)

Aim Time (snapshot, or smooth ride) - 2.157s (2.04, or 2.117)

View Range - (recon, or situational awareness) - 357.5m (357, or 360.5, or both = 367.7 

You can see that the individual skills give slightly better results than BIA. Although BIA also improves accuracy and reload while no other skills do the same, but a rammer and vents will improve these. So personally I think that for a heavy tank you should take repairs first, individual skills second, then start thinking about BIA.

BIA gets a lot of attention, however one idea is "WHEN" is the BIA moved to the first slot? Allurai has BIA first on the T49, but ONLY after BIA has been learned as the 3rd perk.  I don't know why QB has his BIA first, but I can share that the overall idea is that the other skills offer far more as single perks/skills than BIA does and BIA should only be used when there is no other useful perk as its impact is so little.

I have done it both ways on my heavies and while I'm no ones expert, I'd much rather have 6th/snap shot/clutch braking/safe stowage/situational awareness as my first perk (as an example) than BIA. My brit heavies performed better (imho) when BIA is the 3rd perk than when its the first perk.

That being said, please reivew the previous threads that are here that explain BIA's effectiveness in excruciating detail, those threads can do a FAR better job than I can.

Personally I prefer to maximize reaction and firepower before anything else. This goes pretty much for all my heavies not just the M6. The commander is the most problematic dude because ideally you need to perk him up twice for 6th & BIA. That's a lot of XP. If there was ever a case for gold skill reset that is the guy to use it on.

Either way 6th will be my first choice for commander for pretty much any tank, while in this case the remaining crew concentrates on agility and firepower. Next slot will go to BIA for all if I won't be able to do gold reset (M6 is tough on your wallet with 6 crew). Other than mediums, I don't care for repairs/view range until much, much later - bring repair kits and let your meds/lights spot for you. M6 is a speedy, accurate and quite deadly machine. Maximizing the effect of those attributes makes the grind that much nicer.

BIA gets a lot of attention, however one idea is "WHEN" is the BIA moved to the first slot? Allurai has BIA first on the T49, but ONLY after BIA has been learned as the 3rd perk.  I don't know why QB has his BIA first, but I can share that the overall idea is that the other skills offer far more as single perks/skills than BIA does and BIA should only be used when there is no other useful perk as its impact is so little.

I dont know how QB handled his skills/perks in the past, but from what I ve seen in his guides, he probably started out with regular skills/perks on his crews and at some point retrained/resetted them.

In that case he did it like me, when I reset and intend to use BIA on a 3+ skill crew - reset and give BIA to everyone first so I dont forget it and end up with BS like 100%, 100%, 100%, 20% BIA or forget to put it on 1 crew member.

GLD is BS,only works when the hull isnt moving. There is no tank in that hvy line that needs both VSTAB and GLD, VSTAB is enough. Take Optics or Vents beside Rammer/VSTAB.

Well, I find the aimtime of the 29 to be slow enough to warrant GLD. Optics instead is a good choice but vents is questionable. If you're hull down you don't need GLD, but I find myself taking shots where there isn't any cover for my hull and then VStab and GLD gives me the shortest possible exposure.

BS? sigh...

Alright, now that my M6 is theoretically all pimped out, how do I drive out my (theoretically) pimped out M6? [i.e. wat do?, how do?]

You hull down like every other american tank and use the wonder that is the american 90mm cannon. This beautiful cannon is the same that serves the Pershing, Hellcat, and T20.

It's a legendary weapon!

Other than that, M6 is actually rather fast, so you can actually flex around a bit as needed.

I'm not so sure about the hull down part... I find it easy to penetrate an M6's turret, even from the front.

I'm not so sure about the hull down part... I find it easy to penetrate an M6's turret, even from the front.

Hull down isnt only about a inpenetratable turret (T32) but also about giving the enemy only a small target for a short time frame ...

you dont sit there for an extended period of time. You stay under the hill, peek up hull down, shoot, go back down. They legit have small frame to shoot at, and for limited amount of time. That is, your goal is to minimize your exposure by using the hill and your superior depression.

So, peek-a-boom hulldowning?

Depends on the oponent(s), situation and so on. For example you dont peek-a-boom with a KV1-S on his terms, because he has a much greater alpha damage. If you give that KV1-S his 14 sec to reload you ll be dead in 45 sec, while he drives away with ~50% of his health.