Nalyk

M103 - play style variance

I just finished off the T-32 with a fairly respectable win rate.  

My only other tier 9 heavy is the st-i and I'm wondering if there are any significant play style changes that I need to be aware of.

Any other advice is welcome as well.  

Thanks,

~Nalyk

The M103 doesn't have the auto-bounce turret armor of the T29, T32, T34.  Also, the M103 is much more mobile than the previous American heavy tanks.  The gun on the M103 is a huge upgrade from the T32. 

I tend to play my M103 in more of a front line support tank then a lead tank role that I often take with the T29-32-34.  You can't drive your tank up to a hull-down position & just stall enemy advances with the M103.  I tend to get ammo racked in this tank more often than the others. I find the M103 a more flexible tank because it's mobile with a very good gun.  You can fill more roles with this tank than the previous American heavy tanks. 

Honestly, I don't remember how the M103 played as a stock tank.  If I remember correctly, I used free experience to unlock the 2nd gun because the 105mm just sucked in tier 9. 

I still like the M103 & I still play some.  Of course, it is my only tier 9 tank so, I don't have alot of other options to rate this tank against.

I use a standard American heavy tank equipment & consumable list:  shell rammer, vert stab, gld.  large 1st aid kit, large repair kit & auto fire ext. 

I moved my T29 crew over to this tank & have what I consider standard crew skills with commander having six sense 1st & repair 2nd with the rest of the crew starting with repair. 

Some days it seems like every game I either get tracked or ammo racked. I have gun rammer, vents and torsion bars which I had in depot so I put them on. You would think that would help with NOT getting tracked but alas NO. I have 100% repairs on one crewman and all are on their second skill/perk, I should have started repairs on another crewman... I upgraded to the 120 asap and now have the second turret. This is the first tank to have sixth sense completed and wow, love it!

This is definitely a support tank, whenever I have to front line it on an unsupported flank for example, my game is very short. Plan escape routes that you can access while under cover if possible so that after giving a little you can run and reposition. I only have approx. 50 battles in this tank so in no way can I be considered competent but it fits with my general game play... shot, run, hide, repeat, repeat, die

It can be tough though to recover when tracked... You just have to hope there is not more than one opponent and that they don't decide to push until you finish repairs....

My two cents worth but really only worth a single cent :smiledown:

Safe Stowage is 100% worth it on this tank, I am extremely glad I finished it on the previous tanks.

Doing quite a bit better in this tank thanks to the second gun.  That extra pen makes  a lot of difference, extra alpha is quite noticeable too.  I'm still trying to decide whether or not I like it though.  Mayhaps I'll figure it out once it's fully upgraded. 

This tank, along with the leopards, might be worth the wet ammo rack. I personally didn't play it because I got my E5 for free (yay old T30!), but I recall to many times I would see m103s stop firing at me because I broke the rack.

Don't ever show your tracks in this tank because you will instantly regret it.

It seems that staying alive longer depends on not getting tracked because you have to stay mobile.

I seem to lose my driver a lot too which really makes things difficult!

I somehow went from 60% wr in the t32/t29 and 1.8k DPG to like 1.7k DPG at 40% WR in the m103.

I freexped the turret/2nd gun/engine and tracks.

Just seems that it's too slow to play like a medium and too soft to play as a heavy :( halp!

I don't really know how to put it, but the best advice I was given for the M103 was to not be the center of attention. Basically I've been inserting myself into engagements from the frontlines, and it's been working alright for me. I am, however, fully upgraded.

Yep I am having exactly the same experience.

There are periods where I can get everything to work like I could with the T32 and T29 and periods where I bomb game after game....

I think Deetz is right as the times it works is when you sit back at the start and try and get a few shots in from behind the meat grinders.

It is a great tank for cleaning up at the end!

When you are the top tank with no other T9 heavies then you can lead but you just need to take things real slow. Don't try and absorb shells like you could with the T29 and T32.