Jesse_the_Scout

XVM: Knowledge vs. Sanity

Yes, it's that question again. Is XVM worth the horrible, horrible fruit of knowledge?

I was playing the test server and noticed I didn't start to get annoyed until at least halfway through the match when I actually witnessed every one being retarded as opposed to knowing they're all retarded from the start.

Is XVM worth knowing you're boned over and over? I feel it helps you plan and anticipate situations a bit, but you pay for it with the "WHAT THE FUCK NOT AGAIN THIS IS SEVEN GAMES IN A ROW WHERE IS MY AXE" thing.

Bonus fun fact: I kid you not, when I first installed XVM at ~6k battles I didn't reinstall after the next patch because I thought it had to be a broken program. I reasoned there's no way every player was actually as terrible as the numbers said.

After one of the updates (8.6 I think) I had problems getting XVM to update.  I kinda liked playing without XVM.  However, I just played 6 str8 losses in my T32 & in 5 of them all the players with me either left or got smashed in seconds leaving me to get killed by several enemy tanks each time.  I decided that I need XVM to show me the trash on my team (alot of you would see me as the trash but, I'm good with that).  This way I wouldn't make the mistake of charging off into battle with shitty teammates. 

The way I figure it is I'm already insane so, the knowledge won't make me worse. 

If nothing else for me on the rare occasion I can see there is a green, blue, or purple on my team I will  support them. It usually works out well and playing a decent game makes up for the crazy $h!t that happens in the sea of red.

I dont know.. when I'm top tier and see the red.. I'm kinda likes yessssssssss.... meat....

I definitely agree with what you said "I feel it helps you plan and anticipate situations a bit" and I'll take that to help me swim in the sea of red anytime.

I don't know. I used to use XVM without the stats (having hated actually knowing), but since they packed in the stats by default Ive just kinda dealt with it. When I say kinda, I mean I hate this game a lot and every time I play I want to ragequit. I'm just not sure if thats really a product of XVM or just my horrifying luck with RNG in general.

I dont think XVM actually offers any sizable benefits to your gameplay. Its so, so, so, so rare for any one person's individual stats to affect my decisions. Sometimes I'll make decisions based on the team's stats in general, though.

If I had an XVM that _only_ showed stats of unicum players (just so I can poke them!), I'd give it a good try.

I have it. The biggest benefit it renders is the ability to recognize notbad players who aren't in gudclans, so you can either shoot or rely on them depending upon which team they're given to. The other big benefit of XVM is the minimap, which tells you which tank is where (instead of just a pretty diamond that may be their IS-7 or their T32). Everything else is really just icing. You can run XVM without stats on if you just want the map.

The way I see it, you're already doing fine without it. I'd get it for the utility of the map.

EDIT: didn't know it was packed in. Also: rexxie, I can edit your configs if you send them to me so the only colors you'll see are purple.

I had this conversation with one of the irl people I play with... he thinks I worry too much about stuff. I explained it to him: remember how the game used to be before XVM? And now when you load up and see your team is doomed and how that feels? And then you see the lightbulb go off in his head.

If you were going to get brain cancer and die at 44 would you even want to know? This shit's getting all philosophical Matrix pills and stuff.

This came to mind with that question. Knowing the skill level of teammates did help in that situation, and I suppose if you're experienced enough and can analyze/predict what people will do it's a good tool.

You are going to get a general idea anyway just by skimming the clan tags, platoons, etc. It is unavoidable.

It is nice to know if that guy typing a battle plan or asking for help in chat is worth listening to or whether you should ignore him and trust your own judgement instead.

Just disable the chance to win prediction at the top, because there are too many factors it does not take in to account. It provides no useful information and serves only to demoralize or provide a false sense of security.

Some people see all red and drown.

Yeah, I hate that, but I've started doing something similar.  When I'm in a red sea and the other team is mostly green and purple, I YOLO.  I'll wait just a bit for the other losers to get into place - so they might mange to take a shot at something I light, but then I'll blast into the enemy guns.  I'd rather die quickly and not waste money on ammo, gold ammo or consumables.  

Besides the map, which is indispensable, XVM lets me see which players are worth helping and which should be abandoned.  I'm not only going to avoid sticking my neck out for Mr. 42%, I don't even want to be near him.  He's going to block my shots, or bump me from behind, and is best avoided.  

I did turn off the game winning stats, because it's rage inducing to see you're in the sixth 30% game in a row.  I prefer having the general idea you get from looking at the stats.  

No point of not knowing. Ignorance isn't bliss. If you're going to get fucked, might as well take a defensive position if you know your retards won't follow through with you. Where as you have a team of purples and blues, you can afford to be much more aggressive and save time.

I'd rather find out they are twatcanoes right away rather then just sit and watch things unfold. It's depressing either way, why delay the inevitable?

This.

If XVM said your team's fucked, you would have been fucked without XVM.

There's no disadvantage to running it.

The only purpose of XVM for me now is to have a good estimate if my team is going to be completely fail or if I have a chance, etc. 

When I first installed it though, I was taken back by the skill level of most people but I was also orange/yellow at the time. I said to myself "I want to be better than orange" so with that being said I set a goal of green. I suppose I can say I'm aiming for blue overall although it would just be for show at this point. 

If there's a choice between knowing and not, I will always pick knowing.

I think I've used this example before to a similar question, but I am always aware of who around me is worth supporting, when driving heavies, one thing I have done on a few occasions is drive infront of a good player who got tracked to eat a shell so that he might repair and live.

I don't know what people think when I do that though, they might not even realize that's what I'm doing :P communicating things like that is kind of in a random game.

It's scary how reliable those stats are though, if I see a deep red player, I just know I can bait a shot by exposing a track, wait for repair and then shoot him, then 10 seconds later I can do it again.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this:  I use it most often to see who the highest rated opponents are and keep an eye out for them on the minimap.  When they show up, I look for an opportunity to give them a bad day.  I may ask for arty to help as well.