Coordinator

How do you avoid being mostly irrelevant?

Lets set the scene: You're in a tier 4/5/6 fighter. You boost up to (1500-3000) metres. There are equal tier heavy fighters on the enemy team and you know they're going to be climbing. 2 minutes into the match you're cruising at whatever altitude, but your team's dying in a furball. That's when you see the heavies up high, and you're alone or close to it. What do you do? Try and get behind one of the heavies and outmaneuver them or dive for the furball? I feel like sometimes I'd have been better off flying in a goddamn straight line and just killing people in the furball until my team has an insurmountable advantage, but this also seems like a trap. Thoughts? Do you just straight up lose sometimes?

Really depends on which fighter you are in. 109 or 51A should take out the high altitude threats and energy fight the rest. Everything else, might as well stay with the pack

If I want to hold the status quo (keeping the heavies out of the engagement), I shadow them by flying directly below them as I show here at the end of the video.  My flightmate, DrLunchMeat, cleaned up while I kept wreckerpro effectively out of the game.

If our team is behind, I get into the furball and try to maximize gun time and hope for the best.

When I tried playing the JP planes at the tail end of beta to show that they straight up suck, my winrate in them actually matched my winrate in the DE lights (but both were still lower than the heavies).   Granted this was with the highest tier of 6, but killing lots of planes early in the game does have a good effect.  And I suspect getting into the engagements quicker will have even more of an effect next patch.

If I were one of the lone high altitude planes on my team (or the rest of my team all went low), I would focus on bringing the enemy down low too. You can see this "deployment" fairly early in the match as all of your allied heavies yolo ahead. At that point, I would climb to the top of my preffered altitude to retain good flight characteristics and bait the enemy down. If you are not putting all of your boost and energy into an epic climb at the start, you can still make it across the map to bait their heavies in reasonable time.

Once you get a good handle on avoiding head-ons (Short version: roll and shallow dive right before you are in gun range, then roll the opposite way as they open fire), you can hopefully drag the enemy down without sacrificing all of your own HPs.

Sometimes your team will die uselessly anyway, but trying to dog fight 3-1 odds at high altitude is a tough proposition.

Lets set the scene: You're in a tier 4/5/6 fighter. You boost up to (1500-3000) metres. There are equal tier heavy fighters on the enemy team and you know they're going to be climbing. 2 minutes into the match you're cruising at whatever altitude, but your team's dying in a furball. That's when you see the heavies up high, and you're alone or close to it. What do you do? Try and get behind one of the heavies and outmaneuver them or dive for the furball? I feel like sometimes I'd have been better off flying in a goddamn straight line and just killing people in the furball until my team has an insurmountable advantage, but this also seems like a trap. Thoughts? Do you just straight up lose sometimes?

Just hide for the first few minutes until the enemy heavies drop altitude because they are bored looking for you. Then pounce em.

Die tragically is my answer :-)

You can start off by avoiding long spinning turns towards your AA, or flying in circles at the top of the map like a shitlord for half the game so that it's easiest for you to abuse dispersion mechanics in your favour for easy kills since there's no competition, as the enemy team already shredded your teammates since you did nothing to support them.

Always gain your altitude, avoid head on's, don't zerg into furballs like I do, it rarely ends well, look for dumb pubbies you can trick into playing their weaknesses, like turn fighting p-51's or  anything with ordinance/bombs on a light fighter/heavy, focus on unaware top tiers and low HP planes, retain your altitude, avoid AA guns, make sure GA doesn't get too much supremacy, and be sure to capitalize on every mistake Heavies make, even though they're such an utterly broken and forgiving class that it doesnt' really matter.

Oh, and don't play on the test server too much, lest you forget that live still has the bullshit upwards dispersion mechanics in effect... -.-

Sometimes it’s a crap shoot, it’s so dependent on what your team is capable of (or more than likely isn’t). I have tried every angle I can come up with, playing smart, engaging late, opportunity targets etc... Only to have the team melt completely underneath of you. I normally will just try to gain as much altitude as the plane will support, look for heavies and engage at my current altitude. After that who the hell knows.

I really wish JackQueRudo would stop using Antonio's avatar. It's confusing the hell out of me :-)

Tell them apart by what way the beard is facing.