Sign in to follow this  
Jesse_the_Scout

Type 58

The penetration kills it. I wish I could take the gun from the 34-85 and strap it on this thing, 20 less pen on both standard AP and premium leaves you unable to pen a lot of targets, this tank feels hopeless against most tier 8s and a lot of tier 7s, and it even has problems shooting through some tier 6 tanks.

higher DPS is just on paper, it is near impossible to utilize the DPS because it is so difficult to land damaging shots with the horrid pen.

I have a 77% w/r in it mostly 2 man tooned.

Really it's not bad whatsoever, it's extremely comfortable in handling and I almost never fired apcr(except against stuff like is6 side).

Just hammer and anvil with it, I had a kv1s meatshield as a platoonmate, he drew attention, I would flank, worked well.

I find the gun depression to be what bothers me most. If a tank has awful gun depression it really needs to have a lot else going for it like nice armor or a ballin' gun, but this thing has neither.

Really, right down the line it deviates from an average tier 6 medium in:

Hull armor, weaker.

Acceleration, weaker.

Gun depression, worse.

Vulnerability to critical damage, worse.

One might argue the gun is superior, but the handling is so bad I'd be hard pressed to defend it.

I have a 77% w/r in it mostly 2 man tooned.

Really it's not bad whatsoever, it's extremely comfortable in handling and I almost never fired apcr(except against stuff like is6 side).

Just hammer and anvil with it, I had a kv1s meatshield as a platoonmate, he drew attention, I would flank, worked well.

How to make it not terribad solo though?

I haven't platooned on a few months.

I performed very solid in Type 58, so I decided to buy a T-34-85, because on paper T-34 looked better. My overall play has improved sice that, but T-34 is definitelly better version in all aspects (mainly the gun and depression).

I recently upgraded all the modules on Type 58 and have tried to play it more.  I think it's snake bit for me.  Haven't won a game with it in 3 days.  Stats are terrible in it.  I think my winrate is in the 30% area and I like the Chinese tanks.  Type T-34 is one of my best tanks.

The Type 58 has me baffled........

I'm actually doing fine with this thing statistically, I just don't like it. Its reload time is so awkward (neither fast or slow), the gun depression kills me, and it seems rather sluggish for a medium to me. I switched to vents instead of optics and decided to focus on just punching things instead of trying to be clever and it works ok.

It is a ferocious flanker, with a gun that is decently hard hitting and excellent DPM. Don't be afraid to use SPREM. I ground mine from stock with a 75% crew and still ended with 82% win rate. I used optics/GLD/rammer. Since this was a transition tank, I didn't train skills on the crew for carryover experience.

Altough I am terribad at tanks I had a fairly decent winrate compared to my overall in it, I even managed to pull of my second Radley Walters in it without any equipment and ~80%ish crew. If you use some premium rounds and equipment/crew it can shine.

Type 58 reminds me a lot of the T43.  Not that quick, fast rof, lacking in pen. In a tier 6 match the gun is good, tier 7 meh, tier 8 better fire sprem or you're screwed. I did good with it, though I too hate the damn tank.

The chinese tanks have been insanely frustrating to play for me so far. The type T-34 was kinda awful at tier 5 but it had insane gold rounds which in theory could have made it better. And dat dpm. Playing it was kinda annoying. It is not a bad tank but as far as tier 5 meds go I enjoyed the M7 a lot more. The type34 was a lot better than the pz3/4 though.

But the type 58 is so fucking bad it hurts physically to play it... worst tank I've played in a loong time. And I'm grinding the panther now so that should tell something. And even that thing can do at least something badly where as the type 58 is just shit in literally everything. How can this shit stain be on the same tier as t21, hellcat and kv1s?

Ran the 58 a lot over the last 3 weeks for the IS6 event, I mean a lot.   Preferred the Chi To to it.  Chi To was slower but has a better gun and better gun depression.

Glad I ran it though, because the T34-1 (like a mini Type 59) so far seems to be a real keeper and I only have 1/2 the modules researched on it so far.

66% most solopubs, only plat with 50% and 48% player for about 20 games.

Definitely better at brawling than other tier 6 due to either dpm or alpha or both.

Enough mobility to go around; turns well enough to circle some tanks.

Enough armour to NOT get derped by n00bs firing HE for "high damage."

Best part is the HE round; it's just as damaging as that of T-34-85 except this one obviously fires faster.

It's pretty reliable against all soft-skinned German TD or hellcat.  I often go fullfrontal on statpadding hellcat and kill it with 2 HE while it barely had time to hit Type 58 once.

Good enough to shoot on the move(and missing isn't a big deal); I don't recall ever putting egld on it since there was very little need.

Restarted grind it casually. It reminds me a lot of my 3002d experience: nice to drive, good dmg but sub par penetration. Nice thing is have virtually no stock grind. Bad thing is like everyone said, it has practically no depression which forced me to be extremely cautious with any slope and uneven ground.

However the biggest set down about this tank is one has to play it double the time in order to unlock all next tiers, kinda like forcing you to play it rather than enjoy it.

It should of just gotten 180 damage like the 85mm does on the T-34-85. If it had that, it'd be a pretty nice tank. Gun depression for gun handling is an interesting tradeoff, wish that's how the rest of chinese tanks compared to the RU; you can have that RU firepower with decent gun control, but it comes with a cost!

Circle-strafe in this tank is a bucket of fail.  Fucking gun cannot depress enough to retrack T29, Tiger, or even a fucking Churchill.  Fucking ammo is literally cheap chinese knockoff.  Fucking upgraded engine is shittier than stock once you factor in weight of the upgraded turret and gun.

It's like I ordered a T-34-85 on ebay and got this lookalike shit-stain instead.  FUCK YOU SELLER GO EAT PAINT CHIPS

Edit --- If I ever elite this thing:

Option 1:  Buy T-34-1, lick lead windows.

Option 2: Bypass via light tree, yoloswag to victory.

Opinions?

I hate this tank, I hate it a lot, but it is my highest DPG tier 6 med. Rngesus has a fucked up sense of humour.

Edit: The more I play this peice of garbage the more I hate it, it is terrible in every single area and in tier 8 games it is 100% helpless, even when spaming gold. a 50 100 is effectively armored against this piece of shit.