NavySnipers

The steps of improving.

The problem with most of the WoT community is that they just don't think about it. They just play without caring if they're playing good or bad. You should always strive to be successful. Here are the steps for improving:

• Recognize that you have a problem. You don't improve until you realize you're bad@tanks. How do you know? If your overall WR is below 49%, then you need to improve regardless of what you think or want to think. If your overall WR is below 54%, and 60% on your 60 day, then you need to improve. Being above average doesn't make you good@tanks. If you can't pull 60+% on any given day solo or platooned, then you should look into improving. In fact, regardless of your WR, you should ALWAYS look to improve.
  • Once you've realized that you need to improve, find what are you fail at most. How? Watch replays [Go to your settings, and check "enable battle recording" if you haven't already. Replays take up virtually no space. Just delete them when you're one with them]. It's amazing how much you'll learn from just watching your own replays. "Oh shoot, I wasn't watching the minimap, so I didn't know that guy was coming up behind me" What does that tell you? Watch the minimap more often. If you die early "wiTh nO teAm suppoRt", then you have an overextending problem. Going to an area that would be considered "normal" on a pub match where your entire team is camping is overextending.
  • If you can't identify what you are doing wrong, then ask around. Post a couple replays on the forums asking for advice/tips/whatdidIdowrong from good players.
  • Practice. Every game look for ways you can fix a problem you have. Problem with watching your minimap? Turn your sound off for a few games so you are forced to look at your minimap for information. Problem with overextending? Well....Don't. Before every move, ask yourself, "Is moving here really a good idea? What can go wrong if I poke around this corner? What can go wrong if I push over this hill?"
  • Don't play ridiculously OP tanks like the sherman with HEAT deerping. I recently came to the conclusion that playing the sherman too much will make you worse@tanks, because you'll notice the shermans playstyle leaking into other tanks. After a day of Shermaning, I played a couple games in my VK3601 and did less than 500 damage a game. It was then that I realized I was using the same overconfident playstyle that you can get away with in the sherman. The next day I did well over 1300+ DPG with the VK.
  • Learn the finer tactics. If you don't know the weakspots, learn them. If you are looking for a better way to brawl, learn to sidescrape. Sidescraping was the tactic that made me like this game 100x more than before. The science of it is incredibly fun.

Here's a quick lesson on sidescraping:

Sidescraping is - when mastered - a ton of fun.

What is sidescraping? On paper, it looks like this:

4qYfMR0.jpg

The goal of sidescraping is simple: to show the enemy the most effective armor. Hint: Sticking your front towards the enemy isn't always doing it right.

In the diagram above, thing 2's side armor is probably (tank dependent) MUCH stronger than his frontal armor. In addition to this, he also has the tracks acting as spaced armor, making it even stronger. Most of the times when this tactic is done properly, the enemy will either track you, or no damage pen. Rarely will you take damage if you do it right. If the person you're facing has a gun that you know can still pen you, come out at a greater than 70 degree angle. 70 degrees is where the game mechanics tells all shells, "lolnope you're not going through".

Here's what it would look like in-game:

X4WScSW.jpg

It also works like this:

L21pnCW.jpg

You can usually get a few extra degrees out of reverse sidescraping, but some pubbies like to derp rush you thinking "hurrdurr i seez engine". If they do this, just permatrack them on their escape attempt.
Another inconvenience when reverse sidescraping is that you can't push around the corner once it's cleared as fast as you can doing it normally.

The M103, however, is not a very good sidescraper. I just used it as a demonstration vehicle. With only 53mm of side armor, at 69 degrees, the effective armor is a mere 147mm.

<>Edit: Remember that game mechanics also states that angle is irrelevant if the shell that hits you is 3x thicker than your armor. eg: A JagdE-100 would auto pen my sides in the M103.

Special thanks to Anfield for sacrificing a $20,000 chocolate bar to make this poast.

I'm not going to do a TL;DR, because most sub-50%ers would just read that, and I want them to read the whole thing.

One problem I continually struggle with is situational awareness. I might be doing fabulously in one area, but get tunnlevisioned and not watch the minimap to see that I'm about to get overrun.

Edited by NavySnipers

70% is the confirmed lolbounce angle?

Also having trouble reaching 90% winrate,anyone got advice on this?

Also having trouble reaching 90% winrate,anyone got advice on this?

Joking answer: Carry harder

Serious answer: 90% requires an elite platoon, playing well matched power tanks (Pref mm, HEAT spammers, etc.) and only playing when all three are alert and at their best.

[*]Don't play ridiculously OP tanks like the sherman with HEAT deerping. I recently came to the conclusion that playing the sherman too much will make you worse@tanks, because you'll notice the shermans playstyle leaking into other tanks. After a day of Shermaning, I played a couple games in my VK3601 and did less than 500 damage a game. It was then that I realized I was using the same overconfident playstyle that you can get away with in the sherman. The next day I did well over 1300+ DPG with the VK.

I can agree on this part completely, I play the derp Sherman usually only when I rage and need to blow off some steam or just want to have a little derp fun with some mates, but if I play too much I do very badly on my other tanks and get cocky. Then the next day I play another tank other than the Sherman and do great.

Yeah, aint nothing like trying to play the the 62A or Bat immediately after the M4 for a strong dose of reality.

I played my M103 for the triple after a day of shermaning.

I got killed by an armed member.

I completely agree with misplaying other tanks after running around in the Sherman. I get WAY too aggressive and want to knife fight with anything, up to and including tanks made of paper.

However, playing the T49 is teaching me some better habits, and I have seen my play improve in the last week - and I blame it in part for playing the T49 - the finesse it requires forces you to be careful to play well, which definitely helps. Thanks again for the platoon Allurai :)

I also suffer from "Play all heavies as if they were a T29" syndrome. Seriously, I troll hills with a Tiger 2 or IS-6 and then wonder why I am getting the crap kicked out of me. I'm trying to get over it, again, mostly by not playing the T29 (Which I love and enjoy).

We should do T49s again some time Teff.

The T49 turned me into the scouty medium player I am today.

Edit: Fixed your sig because I can.

I need to stop playing so many different tanks in a single play session, i have better results when i focus in one or two tanks. But gotta grind them all. :/

I need to stop playing so many different tanks in a single play session, i have better results when i focus in one or two tanks. But gotta grind them all. :/

This. So much this.

T-29 -> Type 62 -> Leopard Proto -> IS-6 -> T54E1 = I dunno wtf I'm doing anymore.

I have a ton of tanks, I love them all, but yeeeeesh it can be hard to mentally switch between very different tanks constantly over a single night.

Would this be the point where I point out that sidescraping in an M103 is a terrible idea?

I know this. It was the only tank I had in my garage that would make a decent demonstration. I just wanted to show what it looks like.

Effective armor is awful even 1 degree before auto bounce.

What I do in platoons. Switch tanks if it begins to lose more often.

Toss up for T-44/Centurion I while KT/KV-4/Caern for non prefs, you can safely say I'm pretty clueless on what I do.

This was its own thread on the WG forums, but it doesn't need to be here. Density > thread peen

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php ... -gameplay/

edited because I no longer need to be so humble.

Here is a set of things that I have done in the past, and will do again to improve my performance. There came for me a certain point (around 3800 games?) where I was stuck, and needed to get un-stuck on my learning progression. It was suggested to me to join a clan and ask lots of questions, and I did that, but that wasn't quite enough to get me where I wanted to be. And anyone who knows me can attest...I ask more questions than anyone can really tolerate.

Knowing that a key to improvement was to play less games, but more mindfully (a lesson from any other attempts at skill acquisition) I created a strategy to slow myself down and consciously learn.

First, I made a spreadsheet: Game #, Map, Tank, W/L, Comments

The Game # is just useful for seeing where you are historically. Map Tank and W/L are useful for filtering. Comments is the most important field.

I would pause gameplay, instead of just hitting Battle! again like the addicted rat that I am and log the game in the spreadsheet. Then go through my short term re-collection of the game, noting mistakes I made, either tactically or strategically, opportunities I had missed, etc.

THEN I would watch the replay of my own gameplay, and see if my recollection matched the actual games. As I watched, I would look for opportunities to have made a better shot/position/minimap read, etc. It was very useful to contrast the recollection vs the replay, which can be paused, rewound and slowed down. As anyone familiar with psychology should know, your eyewitness account of your own game is NOT reliable. A replay is however reliable. You will see things you didn't see before, and you will be on the LOOK OUT for them, especially if a pattern arises. You will also see all kinds of information that you filtered out during the heat of battle. Both of these aspects will help you improve your information processing capacity during the actual battles.

I would try to stick to 1 or 2 tanks while doing this, so as to be practicing consistently. After logging 20-30 games, you will begin to see patterns of the mistakes you've made or problems you are having "too aggressive early" "left fire support area" "thought I was hull down but was not" etc. If you are having issues with a particular map (as I noted in the comment "i have no idea where to go in this tank on this map") then go download a replay or five of a better player in that same tank and see what he/she did. Steal their ideas and experiment with them. Then try to apply them to other maps and similar terrain that you come across.

If all this is too much work...well maybe you are a savant and you'll get a 60% WR based on playing games and nothing else. I know there are other methods, and some people can just learn from their pub experiences without this in-depth analysis. You don't need to watch EVERY replay after a while, but it can be useful to sample from them randomly later on, and reference with the spreadsheet. If you wanted to go a step further, then put a Replay Comments column in your log and write down the lessons from the replay.

If all this is too much work and you CBA and play for fun...fine...but don't ask for tips from unicums, say "fail team" after doing 300 dmg in your 8/9/10s, or whine about the MM being fixed. I personally enjoy skill acquisition and do not mind the "work" associated with these methods. If i did it more, I'd probably even be successful instead of just above average, but we can't all have Kewei's discipline can we?

I do something like that every battle mentally (and honestly quite a bit more informally). Before the match is even over, while I'm watching the rest of the carnage, I go back to my first decision of where I went on the map (predicated on the map/mode and composition of friendly and enemy teams) and think about whether or not that was a good move. And I just sort of move down the decision chain from there... I second guess everything from a strategic point of view. Did I move to the correct spot, should I have stayed there, should I have moved from there earlier/later, when did I notice that the other flank was doing well/getting spanked, etc.

Then, I second guess every tactical decision. Did I set up in the right tactical location, did I trade fire effectively, why did I die? What could I have done differently? In some cases, the poor strategic decision led to a doomed tactical situation. In other cases a good strategic decision was undone by terrible tactical decisions. I found it important to seperate the two because something bad on one side was poisoning a valuable learning on the other.

I can't say I don't make the same mistake twice, but I certainly try to avoid making it a third and fourth time.

This. So much this.

T-29 -> Type 62 -> Leopard Proto -> IS-6 -> T54E1 = I dunno wtf I'm doing anymore.

I have a ton of tanks, I love them all, but yeeeeesh it can be hard to mentally switch between very different tanks constantly over a single night.

Yikes.. I grind one or two tanks at time TOPS. Plus all my doubles for the day. Cannot do more than 20 battles or so per day unless I am in Havok TC and we go 26-1 like we did couple weeks ago :D

I know this. It was the only tank I had in my garage that would make a decent demonstration. I just wanted to show what it looks like.

Effective armor is awful even 1 degree before auto bounce.

Obviously the M103 can't truly side scrape, but reverse poking in general is still the best way to play peak a boom in any tank. Baddies are prone to shooting the first part of your tank that is visible, which means if you back up front a corner with your front hull angled towards the hard cover then it's the rear end of your track getting hit. In turn you get a shot off at their front or side, while showing little to none of yours.

If you want to truly side scape you need something German or Russian, and if you want to do the reverse side scrapping as depicted in figure 2 you better be in an IS-4, because I don't think any other tank can get away with that.

Obviously the M103 can't truly side scrape, but reverse poking in general is still the best way to play peak a boom in any tank. Baddies are prone to shooting the first part of your tank that is visible, which means if you back up front a corner with your front hull angled towards the hard cover then it's the rear end of your track getting hit. In turn you get a shot off at their front or side, while showing little to none of yours.

If you want to truly side scape you need something German or Russian, and if you want to do the reverse side scrapping as depicted in figure 2 you better be in an IS-4, because I don't think any other tank can get away with that.

It's sort of a, "lesser of two evils" situation. If you sidescrape, you have to be at an autobounce angle, but if you're at an autobounce angle, chances are you will be tracked, and you don't want to use a repair kit for your tracks on the M103 unless you're in immediate danger of losing hp.

On the other hand, you could, "bait" the enemy, by sticking a little bit of your hull out and then quickly retreating. Although you run a higher risk of being damaged doing this.

All in all, I try to avoid corner fighting in this tank (unless it's in a place where there's enough cover to hide my LFP).

One of the things that makes sidescraping shine are the tracks, because so many shells magically dissapear there. And the pubbies are always too willing to waste shots on your tracks.

Here i sidescrape with a T-44 at 230hp~ and tank around 3.5k damage https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/597 ... a_miao.zip

You forgot about the other kind of baiting Navy, move close to the cover but have your most flattest and thickest armor (like a sidescrape) at an angle.

If the gun on your opponent is less than 150mm *Which normally is* it'll rico and you get a free shot more or less. I've done this with a few tanks (VK45.02 A UFP against an E-100)

I might burrow some of those when I get around to actually drawing them since I am 2lazy2draw and irbad@drawing.

You forgot about the other kind of baiting Navy, move close to the cover but have your most flattest and thickest armor (like a sidescrape) at an angle.

If the gun on your opponent is less than 150mm *Which normally is* it'll rico and you get a free shot more or less. I've done this with a few tanks (VK45.02 A UFP against an E-100)

I might burrow some of those when I get around to actually drawing them since I am 2lazy2draw and irbad@drawing.

Do you mean sidescrape at 70 degrees?

I've been scared to try coming out an an autobounce angle because at this angle, likely the front of my tracks will be the first visible part and I'll get tracked (Making the whole endeavor pointless), or I'll back too far from my cover and get whackamoled.

Feeling kinda stuck lately. I'm going to give this a shot.

Did you solopub this exercise? Or is this more of a shift in one's approach to the game in general?

If you can find a platoon-mate who wants to match you in timing, go for it. Otherwise, I had to do it solo. But solo can be good for these sort of endeavors. You can forget trying to carry, trying to win, and simply try to play well, and then play better. Its a positive game if you learn something from it.

Do you mean sidescrape at 70 degrees?

I've been scared to try coming out an an autobounce angle because at this angle, likely the front of my tracks will be the first visible part and I'll get tracked (Making the whole endeavor pointless), or I'll back too far from my cover and get whackamoled.

I think he means like this:

cornernr.png

You push up, hiding your tracks, but give them enough of a target that you look juicy.

I can make it work pretty well in tanks with a fair amount of armor. Players better than me can probably make it work in tanks with modest armor. Essentially, you want to expose as much of your front plate as possible, but expose it at an angle where you'll get a bounce, while hiding your track. You can then back up a hair, scoot up and take a shot (or 2), and then pull directly back in to cover.

With an IS-6, by contrast, you would need to hide not only your track, but also the angled part of your armor that is pointing directly at your target. The IS-6 can get away with that easily, because you don't need anywhere near autobounce angles to bounce most shots from most guns you face.

I think he means like this:

cornernr.png

You push up, hiding your tracks, but give them enough of a target that you look juicy.

I can make it work pretty well in tanks with a fair amount of armor. Players better than me can probably make it work in tanks with modest armor. Essentially, you want to expose as much of your front plate as possible, but expose it at an angle where you'll get a bounce, while hiding your track. You can then back up a hair, scoot up and take a shot (or 2), and then pull directly back in to cover.

With an IS-6, by contrast, you would need to hide not only your track, but also the angled part of your armor that is pointing directly at your target. The IS-6 can get away with that easily, because you don't need anywhere near autobounce angles to bounce most shots from most guns you face.

This is the kind of baiting I was talking about lol.