Stefal / Wenkel

How do you improve?

Question

I feel like I've hit a plateau that is slanting downwards.  I keep playing worse and worse.  I try to follow the whole practice makes perfect thing but even though I pick out what hasn't worked and try not to do it, I'm very unsuccessful.  I simply don't know what I'm supposed to do to get better and for some reason my play is progressively declining. I okayed 2 games in a T34 yesterday for a combined ~ 400 dmg (1 penetration) help.  Also, artillery seems to be getting more and more over-powered every time I face it.

16 answers to this question

Sort of a vague question, but I'll use this as a teachable moment eh? Even if it is Wenkel.

How do you know you are not improving or declining? What metric? What tank(s) are you running and what is the most common problem you are running into?

You don't know your most commont problem? Document your games to find out what it is.

If you picked something out, what was it? What did you do to try to fix it?

Specifics matter.

Sort of a vague question, but I'll use this as a teachable moment eh? Even if it is Wenkel.

How do you know you are not improving or declining? What metric? What tank(s) are you running and what is the most common problem you are running into?

You don't know your most commont problem? Document your games to find out what it is.

Specifics matter.

http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Stefal;jsessionid=ED9A8BB8911228308DAE024C1C5BFBBE

He's definitely declining stats/metric-wise.  

As for how to improve? Correct me if my assumption is wrong, but I'm feeling that super-unicums like CarbonWard aren't platooning with you today like they did back in your hey-day? 

If that is the case, then I don't think this is a case of declining, I think this is just a case of your stats beginning to normalize themselves without their guidance/help, showing us a clearer picture of your actual performance. 

Also, lay off the T34, find another premium tank to work at. That tank comprises of almost 65% of your total battles since November of last year according to Noobmeter. Playing one tank for too long, especially an inflexible tank like the T34 is just bad for you. 

Specifics matter.

I need some time to think about that but right away I can say that I'm just playing a lot worse, doing less dpg, and being dragged to wins (or sometimes just losing) with people who I think that I used to be better than.  Also, my win rate, eff, WnX, and xp / game have gone down (though I'm not premium currently).  When I was platooning with unicums I probably wasn't doing as good as they were but I was definitely pulling way more than my weight and there were games where I carried them to the win.

Also, T34 just seems so terrible to me right now.  I'm done with that tank.  I'm saving to re-buy the M103 (I have a bad habit of buying and selling tanks over and over) but I'm very close to just spending it all on a medium so that I don't have to play the T34.  That thing is TERRIBLE against artillery.

I'll post back Soon-ish on those other questions.

http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Stefal;jsessionid=ED9A8BB8911228308DAE024C1C5BFBBE

He's definitely declining stats/metric-wise.  

As for how to improve? Correct me if my assumption is wrong, but I'm feeling that super-unicums like CarbonWard aren't platooning with you today like they did back in your hey-day? 

If that is the case, then I don't think this is a case of declining, I think this is just a case of your stats beginning to normalize themselves, showing us a clearer picture of your actual performance. 

That explains why my win rate would drop, but my personal stats are also declining heavily.  I had noticed this a little before but didn't think too much of it, but I think I might just be a lot better in the company of other good players.  I ran a few T34 games with Millard in his T69 (he still plats with me sometimes on rare occasions) and I did great in those games, but the games before and after that solo or with blues and below were bad.

That explains why my win rate would drop, but my personal stats are also declining heavily.  I had noticed this a little before but didn't think too much of it, but I think I might just be a lot better in the company of other good players.  I ran a few T34 games with Millard in his T69 (he still plats with me sometimes on rare occasions) and I did great in those games, but the games before and after that solo or with blues and below were bad.

Here's my reasoning behind this. 

If you're average or just decent, and platoon with a great player, you're obviously going to benefit in almost every stat from basically listening to them and shadowing them, since doing what they do for the most part works out very well when you're not able to play at that "level" yet. In other words, you're leeching off their success. 

If you platoon with other decent or average players, you don't get the same sorts of benefits from platooning with a unicum. You have two other people who are just as (comparatively) as clueless as you. 

Also, your personal stats will only truly suffer if you're a unicum platooning with 2 other unicums, since you're basically playing with 2 other people who're just as good as you, if not better, hogging damage and kills  from you. A platoon of 3 good, decent, or average players will still have a great deal of damage and kills to share, this just isn't the case with great players. 

Its relatively easy to follow around and play off a unicum, when compared to doing it on your own. You can basically just subvert your decision making to theirs, and shoot well, and its quite effective.

Your re-roll experiment, along with relatively sparse gameplay, makes it fairly impossible to discern anything from your stats. Obviously the inflation of Stefal account is deflating, but that is to be expected.  Between April 1 and June 4 you played only 40 battles. Decent WN7 at 1500, no padding with T34 and T14 being the most played tanks.

We'll estimate you're a 54-55%er for the most part then, with current WN7 around 1500. Stefal account cannot go anywhere but down, unless you get your skills up.

However, in all your posting I've had a hard time understanding exactly what you don't understand. Do you actually want to be good? Do you have time to practice? You appear to have poor impulse control, and I don't meaning aiming impulse.

And yes, the T34 is a terrible tank, but it does make credits and train HT crews.

Anyways, to actually improve, take a step away from platooning and start solopubbing for a bit. Watching replays and reading guides is nice and all, but until you start putting those theories into practice, you can't get better, or at least, you can't get better faster. 

It helps, solopubbing really trains you to avoid making mistakes that platoon play would've covered and punishes your mistakes harshly, especially in the higher tiers, and it also trains your ability to carry your team by yourself, something you'll have to do quite often if you plan to be a unicum-level solopubber. 

Even when I was solo-pubbing during the experiment I was doing better than I am now.  But regardless of my stats I simply notice that I am playing terrible.  I'm just not doing nearly as much damage as I should be doing or was doing even when I wasn't platooning with unicums.  My T29 stats are good (I think I had over 2k dpg at one point, oh how i miss li :( ), but those weren't from platooning with unicums, those were from platooning with greens and blues before I knew unicums.  Most of those games were done with Nisae, Cadyshack, or Kazunemaru and at the time at least none of them were unicums, I often carried hard (sometimes they were even using tier 6 tanks like the ARL and my T29 winrate is still 83%).  I even used to carry with my T34 at tier 8 occasionally.

I'm not a true unicum (I think),though I would like to think I am good at re-rolling.

I've learned many many things in this SEA Safari re-roll of mine.

First off,you absolutely need to get rid of your T34,that thing has no place in carrying battles alone,in a platoon its -ok- but a combo usually works better.
Secondly,be very patient,patience wins games and all but don't be afraid to take a hit now and then if it means saving someone/allowing you to kill something important,HP is usually not as useful when you're the last one left.

If possible,pick a tank with enough staying power and enough mobility to reset cap,go back whenever possible to reset cap,you have to kick the "someone else will do it" mentality unless you're in a platoon.
Learn when to give up ground/gain ground,you can also try rallying the support of the pubs to help you in your quest.

Don't be a scrooge with premium ammunition,you earn more on a win with premium ammunition than a loss without it depending on how efficient you are,also if possible load premium ammunition for the first shell of every match,it gives you a huge advantage in 1v1 scenarios.

You want to master sidescraping and effective damage trading,often you will have to deal damage,carry more than you weight and stay alive long enough to save the late-game,sidescrape will help you with dealing damage and not dying,just be careful of arty.

Never assume,always ask if that tank behind you is ready,communicate with the pubs whenever possible but do it as politely as possible,often you will be able to sway their hearts and join your cause,don't send them to a pointless death though,it feels really bad.

With these small tips,you should be able to regain your momentum and achieve 60%+ solo if you're lucky.

I guess you could say I don't know what my problem is.  I'll try and look for it when I play, but do you guys ever just feel useless game after game ?  Anyways - besides why I'm sucking so bad, I was wondering what you guys do to improve.  Did you just get better through practice and experience after so many battles, or do you guys make mental lists of what you do wrong everytime you screw up?  How does it work?

As stated flatly or in-as-many words, decision making, and not mere driving and gun control, are what make unicums. 

If you don't already have a firm grasp of the core game mechanics, you need to. 

If you don't have a finer understanding of things like the time after-being spotted (I call it the 'residual spot' where you're still on the map for a few seconds after the last enemy eye can detect you), proximity spots (50M), double-bushing, etc., you need to. These are situational, tactical tools which enhance your survivability. 

If you're not adept at scouting, brawling, medium play or SPG's on this account, you need to think about free xp'ing into every class of vehicles so you can keep up an understanding of those vehicles as the game gets continuously patched, esp. with the 8.6+ era of penetration nerf-creep and arty... changes. (I refuse to say nerfs anymore) 

Finally, when you simply think you got the driving aspect of the game down, you need to read guides like Garbad's about how and why he makes decisions, and realize that decisions aren't made in a vacuum -- they're made with an available set of information every player can potentially pick up in the game, starting with platoon composition (tier, tanks, players), then team, enemy and allied, map, spawn, how heavy arty are, if one team is stacked on lights/meds/heavies/td's, make predictions if they'll camp, rush, play conservatively, etc., and finally, just observe and learn how games flow on maps. 

=======================================

Half or more of being a unicum is map reading, flexing, and generalized decision making.

And what's required to make the right decisions is taking in as much information as quickly as possible, all the time. 

Situational awareness, short and long-term recall (of tank positions for the former, of armor layouts and gun capabilities as an example of the latter), are the foundation of good decision making. 

So this is what you should focus most strongly on.

As stated flatly or in-as-many words, decision making, and not mere driving and gun control, are what make unicums. 

If you don't already have a firm grasp of the core game mechanics, you need to. 

If you don't have a finer understanding of things like the time after-being spotted (I call it the 'residual spot' where you're still on the map for a few seconds after the last enemy eye can detect you), proximity spots (50M), double-bushing, etc., you need to. These are situational, tactical tools which enhance your survivability. 

If you're not adept at scouting, brawling, medium play or SPG's on this account, you need to think about free xp'ing into every class of vehicles so you can keep up an understanding of those vehicles as the game gets continuously patched, esp. with the 8.6+ era of penetration nerf-creep and arty... changes. (I refuse to say nerfs anymore) 

Finally, when you simply think you got the driving aspect of the game down, you need to read guides like Garbad's about how and why he makes decisions, and realize that decisions aren't made in a vacuum -- they're made with an available set of information every player can potentially pick up in the game, starting with platoon composition (tier, tanks, players), then team, enemy and allied, map, spawn, how heavy arty are, if one team is stacked on lights/meds/heavies/td's, make predictions if they'll camp, rush, play conservatively, etc., and finally, just observe and learn how games flow on maps. 

=======================================

Half or more of being a unicum is map reading, flexing, and generalized decision making.

And what's required to make the right decisions is taking in as much information as quickly as possible, all the time. 

Situational awareness, short and long-term recall (of tank positions for the former, of armor layouts and gun capabilities as an example of the latter), are the foundation of good decision making. 

So this is what you should focus most strongly on.

That makes sense.  I guess I'll try to focus more on this.  Currently I try to do this but I've developed a terrible habit of really liking certain spot(s) on most maps. 

It's okay to like certain spots, for certain tanks and classes, but don't let that stop you from looking and observing other tankers go about their business; their[ spots -- positional jockeying wins fights/brawls/peek tests and if it's critical terrain (high ground as a rule, other spots on a kap-by-map basis or just a glut of enemy tanks) the map-control or tank number advantage can often carry the day.

Lastly -- and before I go further I'll just chalk up my vagueness to a lack of personal time ATM and posting from a phone -- a good cardinal rule for positional advantage is putting an enemy tank/position under as many threatening angles as possible. Gun control is fine but getting more allied guns, in more spots can be far more effective than every gun in one spot.

A timely flank, rush to a new spot, trading a few shots, and then fighting from a new angle can intimidate, fond use and crush.

One quick example: Himmelsdorf.

Situation -- you're North spawn, either game type, in a medium tank or one fast/positioned enough to get to the classic, high hill fight.

Assume it's the usual from both sides -- rush, peek, from far or near and the inevitable stack around the rubble dead center.

Your side wins this initial skirmish or outnumbers and scares the enemy but they don't collapse and die, but pull back and hard camp the 0 line corner just below the final crest of the hill.

What usually happens -- having just traded hit points and tanks mindlessly on the top, North side doesn't roll their advantage and gets scared themselves into a peekaboo around the Southern-crown, at the junction of the 2 sloped roads, one which U-turns and one which follows the edge of the map in the backwards "L."

An extremely simple, bold move to break the stalemate -- (some trading is fine if you're doing it favorably and/or got gun depression or peek-a-boo forte tank, like an Ausf A or IS-3):

observe enemy guns, wait till all, most or the most dangerous one fire. Drive downhill on the U-turn path, getting around the corner but stop, and, yourself, assume a new peek-a-boo spot putting the enemy under 2-angles of fire, while they stayed in one. Additionally, this position also affords you better protection from bottom-left enemy arty.

From here, it's easy to bait the enemy into DPM-wasting turret turning, hit them on their reloads, and do it in a manner where OTHER allied tanks aren't so stacked up themselves, they step on each other's toes, which is common in a peek-a-boo. When I do this, it's methodical, effective and repeatable and usually mops up the enemy stack with no additional allied casualties. The map control derived from it leads to immediate fled opportunities and wins games.

And all I did was observe enemy guns, make a 70 meter rush (if that) and start firing from a different spot. Yet I never see pubs do this. Those that bother to move at all #yolo onto the 0-line and die horribly, or take the U-turn road all the way down and just leave all of their allies and screw them.

That's one simple example.

PS -- for what it's worth the best counter for the stack tanks is to immediately pull off the stack and rush me. I see this every now and then send usually deal with it fine, but it can still work because your average player is such an obligate mouth breathing peek-a-boo player (the 2 are synonymous) that they will stay up high, wait on their load, and ... casually get around to maybe shooting that tank in the side rear. Sometimes not at all. (the few instances they just watched the entire stack run me over and retreat down the U-turn, it was a wall of red %40ers)

I believe you just got some of the most solid answers yet to be posted on this forum.

If you like T8's the IS6,amx50100,t69,and IS3 are good choices.  The T34 is crap stat wise so only play it if you need the money.

Even a Ferd or Jagp2 would be much better than T34.

And like others have said, learn how to carry teams by yourself and then when you platoon you rarely lose.

Review your replays and analyze what you are doing right/wrong. I am assuming you are either playing far too aggressive or far too passive. Generally being at either ends of this spectrum will cause you to be a liability to your team. The only way to address this is by having good situational awareness. Situational awareness is definitely the most important skill you can acquire in WOT, as you can then use this information to decide the correct course of action. For example things such as knowing where a tank is looking, whether or not he has fired, whether you need to fall back from bad engagement etc. This may seem some what obvious but in the heat of battle a lot of average players struggle to makes these small decisions and  they all eventually add up and this is what leads to loses/bad individual performance.