Bobi_Kreeg

Type 4 Chi-To

What upgrade path to follow? What extra gear would you install? What is the preferred playstyle?

Quick summary of the tanks specifications:

Mobility: abysmal 12 HP/t ratio, good terrain resistance values and top speed of 45 km/h

Armor: frontal 75mm, sides and rear 35mm, huge flat areas

Size and camo: it's gigantic, like fucking huge

Gun: 155 pen and 135 damage, has 2000 DPM

Gun handling: it has .36 acc, 2.1s aim time and -10 depression.

Stock turret is bloody awful tho and it ruins all the stats, severely. So I'm going for this upgrade path: gun -> turret -> tracks -> engine -> radio.

Chi-To-57mm-0003small.jpg

How big is that in game? By my rough estimate, if you take 2 IS-3 tanks and stack them on top of each other the Chi-To would still be bigger.  :tongue:

The Chi-To really isn't that huge. The tier7 now, ugh.

This is basically a VK 3002M with worse armor but better soft stats for gun handling, more depression, +5 pen and -5 alpha. A bit generic, but solid workhorse medium. Probably nothing I'd keep around, but nothing I'd free xp or whine about while playing.

The primary downside of the stock turret is bad gun depression, it still has less aim dispersion when swinging the gun around than a lot of other tier6s.

Yes it is huge. It's practically as big as a Tiger  P, but without the awesome armor.

And no, it is definitely not a Manther. It's much, much slower and has less amor, thanks to it's flat surfaces.

I've been driving VK3002M, A-43, Hellcat, E8, and Type 58 a lot for the IS-6 mission, and this Jap is the biggest and the slowest one. Compared to the VK3002M this thing is slower everywhere, fuck soft stats when you have 12HP/t and VK3002M (which is also not a very fast tank) has something like 16.5 HP/t. The A-43 and Type 58 are lightning fast, two really good flankers and both a joy to drive.

I tentatively don't hate the Cheeto. Good rate of fire (~15.7 with upgraded turret, I believe), good penetration and damage, nice depression, and it feels like the bloom on movement is pretty well controlled. That being said, it's both larger and slower than many mediums of its tier (not irredeemably so, just somewhat), with not terribly good armor. Your best defense will be range.

I currently have rammer/EGLD/vents, but plan to replace vents with optics when the equipment sale starts.

Yes it is huge. It's practically as big as a Tiger  P, but without the awesome armor.

And no, it is definitely not a Manther. It's much, much slower and has less amor, thanks to it's flat surfaces.

I've been driving VK3002M, A-43, Hellcat, E8, and Type 58 a lot for the IS-6 mission, and this Jap is the biggest and the slowest one. Compared to the VK3002M this thing is slower everywhere, fuck soft stats when you have 12HP/t and VK3002M (which is also not a very fast tank) has something like 16.5 HP/t. The A-43 and Type 58 are lightning fast, two really good flankers and both a joy to drive.

Gotta be frank, it feels intellectually dishonest to go 'fuck soft stats' and then cite unmodified hp/t values to make an argument even though the 3002M is ground down to something like 13.8 after ground resistance. Sure it's still better, but ignoring the effect of soft stats just serves to pad your argument or make you look uninformed. I guess you got lucky that the Chi-To's ground resistance modifier is exactly 1 on grass, so it actually does have just over 12 hp/t.

Fact is, it's a soft tank, but it has the most balanced mix of pen/dpm/general gun handling of the tier6 mediums with solid depression on top, if you can't make that work, fair enough. It's not a great tank but no need to be so hyperbolic about you not enjoying it. I guess I'm a phlegmatic kind of guy but this isn't nearly bad enough to get mad or free xp it. The 3001P has the same problems with size and armor and very significantly worse gun handling and ground resistance, to the point that it ends up with less than 12 hp/t on grass. Only sees top speed on roads of downhill. Now that's a crap medium.

The only real problem I have with this tank is its horrid ability to maneuver on a hill. This thing will crawl up hills at 8 kph or less with the stock engine. Pretty bad imo. However on flat ground I don't have any real issue with its ability to get around. Have to see how the upgraded engine fares for me.

The only real problem I have with this tank is its horrid ability to maneuver on a hill. This thing will crawl up hills at 8 kph or less with the stock engine. Pretty bad imo. However on flat ground I don't have any real issue with its ability to get around. Have to see how the upgraded engine fares for me.

It's a pretty dramatic improvement. It's no Cromwell, but it's peppy enough.

It's a pretty dramatic improvement. It's no Cromwell, but it's peppy enough.

Indeed it is. Every upgrade on the Chi-To is dramatic. It's stock condition is just horribad. Terrible.  :#

Gotta be frank, it feels intellectually dishonest to go 'fuck soft stats' and then cite unmodified hp/t values to make an argument even though the 3002M is ground down to something like 13.8 after ground resistance. Sure it's still better, but ignoring the effect of soft stats just serves to pad your argument or make you look uninformed. I guess you got lucky that the Chi-To's ground resistance modifier is exactly 1 on grass, so it actually does have just over 12 hp/t.

Fact is, it's a soft tank, but it has the most balanced mix of pen/dpm/general gun handling of the tier6 mediums with solid depression on top, if you can't make that work, fair enough. It's not a great tank but no need to be so hyperbolic about you not enjoying it. I guess I'm a phlegmatic kind of guy but this isn't nearly bad enough to get mad or free xp it. The 3001P has the same problems with size and armor and very significantly worse gun handling and ground resistance, to the point that it ends up with less than 12 hp/t on grass. Only sees top speed on roads of downhill. Now that's a crap medium.

I still believe in what I wrote.

The base hp/t value is just too low for soft stats to make it nimble. It moves just like an M6 heavy tank. They also have a similar size, similar dpm and the same gun depression (-10); so I think it is fair to compare them. But the M6 has frontal armor, has 2x more aplha dmg to minimize exposure, and it has an insane gold round when compared to Chi-To.

I always said "give me just enough penetration with a decent gun depression and I will find a way to make the tank work, somehow". And that's what I'll do with the Chi-To. I'll grind it, no problems there, but it's not a tank I will keep, and I will certainly not enjoy it.

Btw, what equipment are you using?

I was thinking: rammer, binos, ventilation for a static, sniper, playstyle.

The alternative would be: rammer, optics, GLD for a more active playstyle.

Now which one to choose and is 360m view range enough to put optics on it? I never used it on anything under 380 before.  :O

Just got done grinding the cheeto today. Used rammer, vents, binocs to decent success.

I usually stay in the high tiers, but one thing that I did pick up on was that binocs are best tier 6 equipment.

Had a 4k damage/5k x2 xp Nashorn game on Sand River that perfectly demonstrated it.

In the end I used rammer, GLD and binocs.

I said no to optics, I don't like to use them on low tiers, and no to ventilation, because GLD (imo) is better for making quick shots in high tier games where you can not expose for too long.

My stats are decent, 55% WR and 1.000 dpg after 150 games of soloing the crazy Xmas battlefield.

The tank was grindable and comfortable after my crew exp. increased. It's certainly better than few of the older tanks like VK3001P, M4A3E8, and A-43. But they all have some things in common: they are not fast enough, not armored enough and they have silly pew pew guns when compared to TDs and heavy tanks.

I finished my IS-6 grind and now I'll sell them all, imo every single tier 6 med pales in comparison to Hellcat, KV-1S and M6.

This thing is actually pretty decent when fully upgraded. The handling is great with nice gun depression, the gun is a good sniper, the turret is tough although unreliable due to its configuration. Basically it's a long range hull down killer that can go closer when forced into it unlike a lot of TDs that melt as the engagement range drops.

Gun handling is superb, but that's about it, everything else about the tank is pretty sub par.

Also I don't know why it gets an AP premium round, it has really big problems dealing with anything with armor, it doesn't have the agility to flank like the other T6 meds do. I'm fairly sure a 1S could out-maneuver it.

I think the AP premium round is about historical stuff, the Japanese didn't use the sort of shells the west did. Japan was always the weird one out catching up on technology in that era.

It's worth noting even though it's lower pen it does have higher normalization. So against highly sloped armor it performs more or less on par with a more typical APCR than its numbers imply. No speed boost and less distance loss at range as well. Overall it's not really much different than most APCR on tier 6 medium guns.

It's not a horrible ... a tad slow, but the gun is great.

Armor is about on par with other mediums.

Still running a ghetto crew at about 90% on 1st perk.  Getting 6th Sense snap shot and off road driving completed will assuredly make a big difference. I went that route instead of repar to acentuate the gun capabilities and focus on its strengths

I run optics/rammer/GLD

I have done very poorly in this tank. I feel like it's lack of speed and agility really hurt it. The gun is not quite good enough to just sit back and snipe. And you are very vunerable in the front. I try to play the tank second line, but still end up taking too much damage/dieing because of said weaknesses.

Just finished the tank and a few extra thousand XP for the 3 premium days. I don't think it's bad, but it does suffer from a particular syndrome that many tier 6 vehicles suffer from. Namely, it isn't a KV-1S, Hellcat, A-43, or Cromwell. It's decent at outputting damage, reasonably peppy, camo is okay but not great, same with armor. Depression is good but not spectacular. All-around decent but it doesn't really stand out in any particular way.

At least it's not the V39, though.

I'm still running this tank to complete the IS-6 mission.  I have about 20k experience left to finish the Japanese part of the mission.  This tank isn't a bad tier 6 medium.  IMO, it's plays better than the Type 58 but, that's about it.  I like the Shermans, Cromwell, mini-Panther, A-43 & T34-85 better.  This tank is slow & doesn't do well at all going uphill.  The gun & gun depression are good.  I have no problem with the premium ammo.  The armor is thin but, I tend to try to stay back anyway due to the lack of mobility.  I use this as more of a support sniper than a flanking medium. 

As for equipment, I use the rammer, bino & camo net.  Of course, I'm using the tank as a support sniper so, I'm stationary more often than in my other medium tanks.

The tank itself might be not that bad at T6, what this tank makes it bad is the sheer amount of Kv-1s, 3601H, Kv1s, badcats and so on in its battles.

Apart from that, this tank is too slow, too big, camo is shit(subjective), gun has the dpm but not the alpha to utilize the good gun depression because the turret is shit.

Im going to yolo through as fast as i can.

Jesus I hate it. It would seem it's a great all arounder but the shell speed is crap, the non existant armor means it's hard to use the depression. The gun isn't good enough for the amount of snapshots it has to do, the dpm also can't counter for that. 

I thought the Chi-To was just fine. I started driving it when I was much worse at playing mediums than I am now, and my crew was bad, but it treated me alright. 

It has better AP pen than all but (I think) two mediums in its tier, par-for-the-course DPM, above average hitpoints, and relatively good accuracy and aim time. I wish it were smaller and faster, but it does the job of a tier 6 medium well enough. 

So far the only tier 6 medium I've found frustrating is the VK 30.01 (P). 

On 9.11.2015, 15:40:15, Tarski said:

I thought the Chi-To was just fine. I started driving it when I was much worse at playing mediums than I am now, and my crew was bad, but it treated me alright. 

It has better AP pen than all but (I think) two mediums in its tier, par-for-the-course DPM, above average hitpoints, and relatively good accuracy and aim time. I wish it were smaller and faster, but it does the job of a tier 6 medium well enough. 

So far the only tier 6 medium I've found frustrating is the VK 30.01 (P). 

It goes fast but feels sluggist for some reason. The shell speed is bad. It's huge. It has no armor and it gets focused a lot. Everything else is average but you don't have one thing to leverage. It feels like a sniper. I play it with 4/5 girls for my future stb-1 girl crew. It's still bad. 

This was a good replay to show the strengths of the Chi To - and was a game where I finally won an Ace Tanker in this Tank

with an Epic Medal - Radley Walters with 9 kills ( so close to 10 kills ) and 3287 damage in the Japanese Tier 6 Medium Tank

I used gun rammer , vents and camouflage net ( 3 of the crew have camouflage training as part of their 4th crew skill )

The Camo Net seems a dumb choice , but it really works when you stop to take aim and snipe , and you seem to have less in-coming fire

as you are a lot harder to spot than normally -