Gharirey

This forum is degenerating ...

My apologies, this is going to be a longer post - call it a Christmas reflection:

I found Wotlabs forums the day it went live and joined soon afterwards. It was mostly NA players back then but EU and SEA players were starting to join as well.

It was an exceptional place with even greater promise. Fed up with countless garbage threads and horrible WG moderators, the people behind the project seemed to share a common goal: create a place that provides quality content while also leaving the liberty to speak freely. The initial contributors were overwhelmingly very good players who provided a steady flow of high quality content. Many of them also shared an idealism to educate and help other players get better.

Without purple stats I felt almost shy at first which made me consider each post very carefully: Does it contribute? Is it a good post? Do I know enough about this particular topic to give a valid opinion? ...

Yet even at the start, Wotlabs had its flaws. It's not surprising that some of the very best players also brought some huge egos to this place. One example is Kewei who regularly created threads about his latest DPG wanking. But being one of the best pub-players on NA, he always made up for it with threads that were excellent reads. One recent example is a lot of it turned out wrong but all of it was well reasoned and he very correctly predicted that this tank would become a staple in clan wars.

With such an amazing amount of good content, it wasn't surprising that wotlabs turned into a success with a steadily growing number of members and posts.

The laissez-faire approach to moderation was another factor. People are relieved to be able to post and speak freely. Most of us were sick of being "moderated for fun" and not being able to call out those who badpost or are simply ignorant deniers. At the same time the initial group of wotlabs members moderated itself by peer-pressure: badposters and stat-deniers were verbally tarred and feathered and laughed out of town. The need to ban members has rarely arisen but if someone managed to transgress the few rules we have here, he was quickly and mercilessly banned.

It isn't working any longer! The membership has hugely increased and with it came an increasing number of badposters. The peer-pressure system is on the verge of failing.

A few of the sadder recent examples:

• - a case of stat denial. Orangyvv seems to excel at collecting negrep. Having a negative reputation on this forum is very rare, though. Most people either learn or leave. I hope he will.
  • - a lot of generalizations which spawned an entire thread full of dumb stereotypes. I wouldn't mind all that much if it weren't posted under Metagame Discussion. Does the OP even know what metagame means? By the way, the metagame isn't shaped by the either.
  • We have had an endless series of people complaing about WG banning them. One more recent example being the wotlabs member who At first, I could understand, there was a built-up frustration with the moderation on the official forums. It felt good to be able to air it. But nowadays everybody who feels mistreated starts a thread on this forum trying to start his own private war with WG. This is not what this place was created for. Fight your private wars with WG via support tickets but don't trash this forum with it! It has to preserve its neutrality if it is to survive (and keep the sane moderators like ectar as occasional contributors). I would propose one central thread for WG moderation grievances and anything posted outside of it goes straight into the trash bin.
  • Useless whine threads like this one.
I am not asking for a stricter moderation - nor do I want it. But lately the precentage of quality threads as opposed to garabage threads has been steadily decreasing. I don't want this place to turn into yet another dump like the official forums where you have to sift through countless threads before you find one worth reading. It is time we start to moderate ourselves again: try to post quality topics, ask questions worth asking, keep the trash to the shenangians section.

And now I am off to Christmas Eve dinner. A merry Christmas to you all!

I've always wanted to state for the longest time that there needs to be a sub forum dedicated to QQ threads about WG and/or bad pubbies and/or rants about the official forums.

Or at least the possibility of carefully moderating the non constructive ones. That'll completely remove any kind of ranting/QQ'ing that doesn't start any kind of meaningful discussion.

I've always wanted to state for the longest time that there needs to be a sub forum dedicated to QQ threads about WG and/or bad pubbies and/or rants about the official forums.

The problem with that is the retard/sperg forum would get 5x the traffic and posting of anywhere else.

Duly noted and good post.  I second his call for the Wotlabs community to police itself a bit better and rightly call out shitpoasters as cunts.  But please do it with grace and a bit of eloquence.

I just had to write a bunch of red text and move some threads to the garbage can, and that's entirely more work than I was prepared to do today.

Also please note that if I happen to look at your forum profile and you're sitting at a negative rep, chances are you're well on your way to an RO so you can take a break from shitting up this fine forum.  Thanks for not shitpoasting.

QQ subforum is nice place to vent your anger since the game is sometimes really fruatrating

Need more aggresive no?

We already have a name and shame thread.

Name shame is per game basis and sometimes iy for "comedy" (lol this guy is really stupid. Look at the chat lol)

There is a point where it become to built up and a few line of text and picture is not enough and you want to create a thread just to vent your build up anger.

Easy example of this is Deus TK thread

Duly noted and good post.  I second his call for the Wotlabs community to police itself a bit better and rightly call out shitpoasters as cunts.  But please do it with grace and a bit of eloquence.

I just had to write a bunch of red text and move some threads to the garbage can, and that's entirely more work than I was prepared to do today.

Also please note that if I happen to look at your forum profile and you're sitting at a negative rep, chances are you're well on your way to an RO so you can take a break from shitting up this fine forum.  Thanks for not shitpoasting.

We already have a name and shame thread.

How is orange still here?

Much of it does come down to growing pains, which are good problems to have and address.  A lot of it comes down to newbies skipping over the "" post- which should probably be read before and after every post made, again, this is a function of the masses flowing in.

elmo-tl_dr.gif.pagespeed.ce.JHqI3ZnzfR.g

I think a big part of it is self-moderation and having a good citizenry herein.  Lord knows we don't need more self-righteous yellows shotgunning their opinions over anything and everything, but it should fall on the dedicated community to help our mods out in setting the tone for this place. 

Shitpoasters gonna shitpoast :(

General consensus is that shitpoasting is going to be headed towards the rubbish bin.

Name shame is per game basis and sometimes iy for "comedy" (lol this guy is really stupid. Look at the chat lol)

There is a point where it become to built up and a few line of text and picture is not enough and you want to create a thread just to vent your build up anger.

Easy example of this is Deus TK thread

That's fine, but Deus made a gud poast about his rage and it spawned some slightly meaningful discussion (followed by lots of tangents).  If you're going to rage poast at least make it creative and fun to read.  Don't just be a bloody whiner.

Much of it does come down to growing pains, which are good problems to have and address.  A lot of it comes down to newbies skipping over the "" post- which should probably be read before and after every post made, again, this is a function of the masses flowing in.

elmo-tl_dr.gif.pagespeed.ce.JHqI3ZnzfR.g

I think a big part of it is self-moderation and having a good citizenry herein.  Lord knows we don't need more self-righteous yellows shotgunning their opinions over anything and everything, but it should fall on the dedicated community to help our mods out in setting the tone for this place. 

Yep, growing pains are always tough.  People do need to learn how to read, and the post you mentioned is critical to being a good poster on this forum indeed.  I would like to state that yellows (and everyone who wants to learn and grow as a player) do have a place in this community and nobody here will be cast out on the basis of their stats.  People are likely going to be cast out because they a) don't want to learn despite saying they do, b) whine and complain constantly, c) continually make utterly stupid threads/posts that provide no real value to the community

Some people don't take this forum as serious as it is.

It's fine to have fun, but yeah the primary function of the forum outside the Shenanigans area is to improve our gameplay through learning and collaboration.

Yep, growing pains are always tough.  People do need to learn how to read, and the post you mentioned is critical to being a good poster on this forum indeed.  I would like to state that yellows (and everyone who wants to learn and grow as a player) do have a place in this community and nobody here will be cast out on the basis of their stats.  People are likely going to be cast out because they a) don't want to learn despite saying they do, b) whine and complain constantly, c) continually make utterly stupid threads/posts that provide no real value to the community

You are right; it's not fair of me to generalize like that.  Everyone definitely has a voice here and I'd be lying if I said I haven't learned something from just about everyone on the stats spectrum. 

You are right; it's not fair of me to generalize like that.  Everyone definitely has a voice here and I'd be lying if I said I haven't learned something from just about everyone on the stats spectrum. 

I realize what you're saying though.  It's a general expectation in society that those seeking answers ask questions of those who have the knowledge.  In other words it's rarely a good idea for a freshman college student to attempt to lecture their professor.  Instead they are expected to listen, ask questions, take notes, and learn from the wealth of experience that the professor has at his or her disposal.  An occasional pointed comment that brings forth more of the teaching body's experience is often equally good.  When the student is going through graduate studies there are plenty of opportunities to challenge the staff.  Unfortunately society, the internet, and internet games in particular make it all too easy for the student to think they are the professor.  No doubt I've learned a thing or two from a yellow here and a green there, and indeed I was a yellow or worse not that long ago.  But in general it's likely a good idea if those coming to learn play the role of the student and less so the professor.

we should have introduction PM for new people that detail rules and place where the should look out for improving their game

something like this

Hi Tanker

Thank you for registering in WoTLabs Forum. Please noted that we have our rules and regulation in this forum Please read "

also please visit this thread for helpful beginner advice

(other link stuff etc)

And please dont be shit poasting or we fucking permanent ban you

I hope you enjoy you stay. Have a nice tanking

certainly Neverwish can do automatic PM to new people

Soooo this is turning into Rapture right?

With Neverwish as Andrew Ryan.

Who's gonna be Fontaine?

Solono