Perenthis

Shooting at long range

I want to increase my  DPG and by going through my replays one thing I noticed is that my shots seem to bounce a lot at long range. Hitting weakspots  at that range seems impossible or maybe I'm simply doing something wrong. Here are a few examples of what's happening

- The tank is facing towards me : if I try to shoot LFP, sometimes the shell falls short or it goes up to the UFP(pretty much autobounce at hier tier) and aiming at other weakspots is just as tricky at that distance.

- The tank is angled to the point where its like diagonal to me  : Pretty much all shots bounce no matter where I aim.

- The tank is behind a bush : when you hover over the tank it reveals them but sometimes I can't figure out exactly what direction the hull is facing and I end up wasting shots shooting at a front hull or angled hull or tracks.

- The tank is far away behind cover/terrain, when you hover over them the  game reveals the whole tank and sometimes I think I can hit them but  I can't and end up wasting a shell/time that could of been used somewhere else / on someone else.

Hi Perenthis!

I moved your topic here. What you are asking is (a) basic stuff every solid green/blue should be able to answer and (b) you formulated that question not specific enough and ( c) even Purples dont have 100% hitrate and sometimes even bounce, which might suprise you.

Pls post screeshots from your mentioned replays where you donked shots and others might explain where you should have aimed or what you could have done different.

Folterknecht

Edit:

Make sure its clear what tank/gun combination you are using + facing

Know your pen value vs the effective armor of the tank you're facing. When there's little chance of you penning, such as sub 200 pen vs front of E-75, just don't even bother with the shot and look for better angle or target.

Okeano put it perfectly,

Know your gun, know your enemies armor, know the terrain, know the angle.

if you have 200 avg pen, and the enemy has 100mm armor, it is a 90 degree angle and there are no obstacles in the way, shoot.

use your own formula accordingly.

but if you have no chance at penning, look for other targets, or move to a position to get a better shot.

Long range is alway iffy anyways.  most times the target is moving, angleing, behind cover to provide a specific answer to the question.

If it is unreliable that your shot will pen then switch targets. If no targets available then a tracking shot might be worth taking. I think wg changed their game mechanics a while back so that if you track a tank and then someone else does damage to it you get some exp for it. That assistance damage exp could be equal to spotting damage exp but I'm not sure if the rewards for both are actually equal.

The key is always to aim your shots if time allows. Never spray your shot at the upper front plate if hitting there doesn't damage your target. If the only chance for you to pen is to hit that lower front plate at a target that is 500m away from you then aim at the front lower plate. Of course reload, ammo capacity and type of gun matters too. Taking risky shot with an autoloader is costly. Shooting non-connecting shots in t49 will hurt you. Shooting herpderps in slow reloading guns will often cause you to miss a better shot.

Sometimes the shot goes exactly where you aim it and you can hit pixels from 629 metres away. So aim where you want to hit. What rarely happens though is that your shot misses the exact center of the tank where you aimed but still hits that weakspot pixel.

If a tank is behind a bush generally expect to be shooting at its front unless you have flanked a long way around the map or you are circling the sole surviving enemies late in the battle. Usually the side of the silhouette where the gun is pointing generally is the side of the front. Also a while back I went and checked most tanks in tanks viewer:

In short learn on which side t95 and t28 have their cupolas. Other tanks generally have the bigger cupolas on other side.

I'd also recommend getting a sniper zoom in mod. That can help with aiming and as far as I know is perfectly legal mod as well.

As far as improving dpg I'd focus on hitting and penning your targets on the short-mid range encounters. Long range sniping is always about rng and generally you need to shoot and miss many shots to do big amounts of damage from those long range shots compared to aiming and shooting at mid range. Mid range is where most of your shots are fired during battles anyway so improving the quality of 20% of those shots should increase your dpg 20% but improving your long range accuracy for 20% may only give you 5% more dpg because of rng misses and the fact that much much smaller portion of your all shots is shot from sniping ranges.

Remember that a shot you don't fire will never deal damage.

Penning 450m+ shots is down to RNG for most guns, the target is so small that there isn't a guarantee that your BL-10 will pen that broadside KT for example, it might miss or ricochet on a glancing hit. But it also might hit and pen the cupola of that tank trying to hide behind a rock. You never know until after you fire.

But besides what people said about knowing your gun and your targets, if you want to increase your DPG the best option is to find ways to have opportunity for firing more shots during battle.

I'll echo again what has already been said, Know your pen and know your targets armor.

sometimes, not taking a shot is worth more than a slim chance of a hit, people freak out when they take hits, even bouncing hits from anywhere that's not in front of them, if they don't know you are there they are more likely to show you their sides, obviously it doesn't work if someone next to you is shooting at them, and you shouldn't spend a minute waiting for a shot that might not happen.

A shot aimed at their tracks is also good, tracking a tank in an exposed position (even if it isn't very exposed to you personally) can be very valuable to your team as a whole.

A question you should also consider is why you are in a position where your best target is 450m away.

I'll echo again what has already been said, Know your pen and know your targets armor.

sometimes, not taking a shot is worth more than a slim chance of a hit, people freak out when they take hits, even bouncing hits from anywhere that's not in front of them, if they don't know you are there they are more likely to show you their sides, obviously it doesn't work if someone next to you is shooting at them, and you shouldn't spend a minute waiting for a shot that might not happen.

A shot aimed at their tracks is also good, tracking a tank in an exposed position (even if it isn't very exposed to you personally) can be very valuable to your team as a whole.

A question you should also consider is why you are in a position where your best target is 450m away.

Two of the 3 tanks I'm playing atm (Panther and  AMX MLE 45) have good guns but have no camo and virtually no armor. So I was trying to take shots out of viewrange ish.

LFP baby ...

g636683874.gif

Never noticed how flawed that model is till now.  The ones used in the actual combat scenes were actually quite good, but the explosion effects must have been too much for them.  That looks closer to a VK3601 than a Tiger.

Never noticed how flawed that model is till now.  The ones used in the actual combat scenes were actually quite good, but the explosion effects must have been too much for them.  That looks closer to a VK3601 than a Tiger.

If I'm not mistaken ... it's not a model or CGI tank (except the boom explosion)... they modified a T54 Russian to look like a Tiger I.

- The tank is far away behind cover/terrain, when you hover over them the  game reveals the whole tank and sometimes I think I can hit them but  I can't and end up wasting a shell/time that could of been used somewhere else / on someone else.

Use the penetration indicator.  It won't light up any color if non-tank objects are blocking your shot; you can use this to "feel out" how much of the tank is actually exposed.   Dead tanks will show green under it, though.

You mentioned getting bounces when your target is angled; unless they changed it while I was gone, the pen indicator works off the nominal armor thickness of the surface your pointing at, not the effective thickness due to angle.  You'll bounce lots of shots when it shows green.

At super long ranges with tanks like the Panther,some of your best firing positions should give you good (or good enough) side shots on your targets.  Even if they have partial cover you can usually get in good hits on the sides of turrets, through the front idler/drive sprocket on the side, etc.   If you're shooting on a diagonal to increase your draw range - 500-700m - then you probably won't be able to aim for anything smaller than that anyways.

It's no until you get in a bit closer with something like the Panther than you can consistently hit things like hatches and whatnot.

Every tank you shoot at will be a little bit different due to the distance and angle they're presented at.  You'll have to decide which part of them you're most likely to hit without missing, hitting hard cover, or hitting thicker armor.   If a particular tank gives you trouble load it up in a tank model viewer later and consider your options.