Sign in to follow this  
Servios

Unrealistic Platoon Expectations?

So having platooned with many people over the course of playing this game, Servios has noticed the following:

1. When platooning with not-good players below 50%, nobody really makes a fuss about losing.

2. When platooning with not-bad players ~55%, losing too much will irk them but not much else.

3. When platooning with very not-bad players ~60%, getting defeats will cause them to never again accept another platoon.

Note that these are all observations from first-time platoon mates.

Of course, this is just from Servios' perspective. Does this really happen?

I think it's less to do with the winrates and more to do with the individuals. I've gone on a ~10 game loss streak with two friends who are both 58-59% with 60 day stats very similar to mine but nobody raged at each other (I was sighing angrily a lot though). Why do you ask? Do you see this a lot?

I think it's less to do with the winrates and more to do with the individuals. I've gone on a ~10 game loss streak with two friends who are both 58-59% with 60 day stats very similar to mine but nobody raged at each other (I was sighing angrily a lot though). Why do you ask? Do you see this a lot?

Funnily enough, I've considered this very same thing, and over the course of the last two weeks, I've endlessly pestered my not-bad and very not-bad friends who I've known for a sizable amount of time. Not wanting to insult me, they generally answered something along the lines of "Even if we lose 10 matches in a row we'd still platoon". Eventually, through further questioning, they break down and reveal that had I dragged them into a horrible streak of losses during our first platoon, it'd be unlikely that we'd either still platoon, or even be friends. Of course, directly afterwards, they insist that if it happened now, they wouldn't mind nearly as much.

I've only just recently branched out into platooning with people I don't know from Forum Warriors, and I find if you're having fun, a few losses is whatever. Unless someone is obviously not pulling their weight (although platooning with lower WRs I'd have extra patience because I'm helping them) I don't have an issue. There are some nights where you just get bad juju.

Funnily enough, I've considered this very same thing, and over the course of the last two weeks, I've endlessly pestered my not-bad and very not-bad friends who I've known for a sizable amount of time. Not wanting to insult me, they generally answered something along the lines of "Even if we lose 10 matches in a row we'd still platoon". Eventually, through further questioning, they break down and reveal that had I dragged them into a horrible streak of losses during our first platoon, it'd be unlikely that we'd either still platoon, or even be friends. Of course, directly afterwards, they insist that if it happened now, they wouldn't mind nearly as much.

I'd be more than willing to pontoon with you sometime through the losses. I feel like even if i lose while platooned with a player better than I am, I'm learning something and trying to personally improve. It's all about perspective imo. after a 5-6 loss streak though it's generally time to just take a break.

Hmm. That's not getting the whole story, though. If we were friends and platooned and you were the direct cause of the losses AND you didn't want to improve - yeah, I'd probably stop platooning with you on a regular basis. But that's very different to just being present for the losses and having stats as good as you do (although I don't know if you were carried ala Stefal or what). I have mediocre friends who don't really improve, but.. they don't ask me for platoons. I'm pretty sure they convince themselves they're not good enough.

Anyway, that streak was easily the shittiest day of my WoT experience but I still platoon with those two guys on a daily basis (Encoder and Bortaz if you want to look them up). We've been friends for a few years. Your friends don't sound like my friends, though. I don't think I'd be friends with people who'd split over that kind of bullshit.

Win Rates don't really bother me as I feel no matter who I play with, they're probably always going to be better than some of the bads in random Pubs as is. Granted if I lose three straight or something in a platoon, I get irritated, and can sometimes have a short fuse.. but I've never said I wouldn't platoon with someone ever again over a bad day of platooning. :<

I critique my own play pretty hardcore too and have a bad habit of going hindsight is 20/20 a lot after a loss, or even after a win when I die or something.

Losing isn't really fun and good players don't tend to shrug off losses very easily (part of the reason why they had the drive to became good?).

I usually break the platoon after 3 straight losses (or like 25% winrate),its a better idea to find something else to do than to continue playing,you'll end up losing more because your performance is affected.

While I am sure high WR players take loses more seriously, I highly doubt that would affect whether or not they platoon with you in the future (assuming you are up to their standards). Everyone has bad days and when they come across the best course of action is to stop playing, to prevent further frustration. 

3 losses in a row and I log usually, thankfully that only happens once in a blue moon.

But i'd never stop inviting people that are atleast 57+wr and 1650 wn7.

People below that are iffy from experience.

My 60 day WR was in the low 80's till I started platooning with just my brother, but they only dropped to low 70's.  I guess anyone other then him does annoy me bad if we are losing.

I have some friends (53%->57%) who will keep platoon with me no matter what the result, if we lose we play until we wins, today for example, we make a tier 9 plat and it start with a frustrating 5 losses streak, but we keep playing, and at the end of the session, we wins 20, lose 7.

I've had the opposite experience. 

Most of the really good players that I've gotten to play with don't seem to worry about losses.  I think they tend to have enough confidence in their skills to understand that they are good players and even if they get a bit of a bad streak their stats will balance out.

They might get frustrated or a little pissed but far less than a 55%er like myself will.

Edit: I mean 56%!!!  I'm a crappy 56%er now.

If I'm in a platoon, and my platoon starts doing badly, I'll usually get angry at myself before I get angry/disappointed at my platoon mates since I feel like I'm the one letting them down and not the other way around. I always feel like I could've done more, or that I could've played better to help the team and my platoon win the game, meaning I'll usually blame myself over others.

Losses bug me more when I feel like I had a direct hand in them. But I don't really rage too much... More like laugh at stupidity on my behalf and of others.

Recently I platooned with a 52ish player that raged like a madman and he brought my play down several notches. His below par play would not stop me from platooning with him, but his raging sure did.

I suspect most 50%+ players expect to win more when platooned then solo.

For me, winning 13 and losing 7 would be quite acceptable, but for a 70% player, it's not a good stretch.  It would make sense that high WR players who worry about their stats would be more sensitive to a platoon not performing well.

It's great to have TS on push to talk so anyone I'm platooning with can't hear me raging at myself (or I get really quiet when I sucked)...Last week I was probably the weakest link more often than not, but even then we didn't get any losing streaks...I'd play with everyone I play with even if we did, because they are fun to play with...

It really depends on what kind of mistakes they were making if at all, not the result.

Sometimes even i lose 3 times in a roll, but i still platoon with those people, other times i win 30 games in a row, but don't feel like platooning with them ever again.

It really depends on what kind of mistakes they were making if at all, not the result.

Sometimes even i lose 3 times in a roll, but i still platoon with those people, other times i win 30 games in a row, but don't feel like platooning with them ever again.

This. Sometimes, no matter how great the platoon does, you just absolutely can't carry the right concentration of bads. You just can't. :(

But yeah, sometimes I"ll play with some people and not others, or sometimes I just don't have the time to. Stinks platoons can't be bigger!

Oh, on average i spend 6 hours on sleep, 9 hours at school, 4 hours working, one hour to stuff in and shit out.

For the remaining 4 hours i have free every day if im lucky, i really don't want to spend it all to hear you bitch about how bad your internet is or how arty just one shotted you.

I dunno, losses don't bother me as much as me screwing up.  I don't mind platooning with people worse than me if they don't mind getting some tips or direction while we're playing.

I've never platooned with someone 60+%, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't happen twice because I suspect I'm way more aggressive than most and I LOVE to tinker/experiment too much. 

I think the most important thing I learned about platoons from Akiyama and Sela was "don't be that guy". Meaning as I took it, don't be the person that hampers the play of your team and at least, dear God at least for the love of all things tanks, pull your own weight! (Not a direct quote by Akiyama, but damn close.)  If you're doing this at a minimum, most people aren't going to mind platooning with you whether you win or not.

yes i've noticed it and i hate it, there will and i mean it there will always be loosing streaks that are nearly unavoidable.

worst part was when i was in another clan and i was playing with the Clan leader and we lost 3 games in a row, he pretty much would not platoon with me after that.

funny part is, im a better player than him, and most of the loses was because of his reckless attacks (he realies way to much on platoons, while i've played decent amounts of solo also, to keep me on my toes)