71 posts in this topic

I need to start asking around on chat channels.  I figured looking at my stats i wouldnt get good players to platoon with me... But looks like i might have a shot.

I lately have really enjoyed TC's, but i get crap teams in normal battles.  If i had two other good players, thats 2 less idiots on my team.  Which i hope will help alot

I'm like a potato someone dropped on the ground in a city. Respectful people usually ignore me for something more high quality. But the less fortunate just scored a 'new' potato to help get them through another day. 

I've just recently started hanging around in the wotlabs channel on a regular basis. I was actually quite surprised by how many baddies there were in there. Also, it looked like a chat room on AOL 20 years ago. 

Thanks for this topic.  I came here (WOTLABS) to get better and do go on the wotlab channel from time to time but my stats are way way too low IMO to platoon with anyone yet.  I would love to but am a little apprehensive at this point.  I'm still working hard at increasing my stats.  It would just be nice to be able to coordinate efforts.  Last night in my matilda I flanked the left side of the city on Siegfried line as there was a British AT TD and a heavy holding a key point.  I Just hoped the other guys would keep them occupied long enough for me to work around.  In the end it worked and that move helped break the city as both were destroyed. But in pub games its mostly esp or hoping others will see your move and react accordingly.  I remember one guy which I won't name, I came to his flank to support him and when I did and an enemy came into sight he bolted to the back and left me there alone, I thoght WTF.  In the end after our chat I am a marked man for being TKd if he ever sees me again.

Anyway, long story short, I am seeing improvement in my play, I watch a lot of videos and try different things and am trying so hard to be less aggressive.  After reading this thread I might send a shout out on channel and ask if anyone wants to platoon with an ave player who wants to get better.  I don't want to be carried but work with someone to win and willing to do what is required, watch your back flank, support fire while you flank etc.  And thanks to everyone posting info on this site, its helping.

Hopefully see you on the battlefield

Tracer001

Just had a similar situation, if you're an inferior player, don't bring a fucking liability to the team.

I just had a player see the two others in the platoon brought an SU122 and an IS-2. He then ran an AT-15A. I left the platoon immediately after.

If you bring a liability, you send the signal "Carry me".

As I told him later on:

When I see my platoon member bring his E4 in high tiers, I don't say "Fuck yeah, you can carry this in any case!" and bring an M48 without asking, I bring an E100 as an anchor because it's the thing which shows respect for my platoon members and my willingness to shoulder the responsibility to the platoon "I see you're bringing an E4, let me contribute my tank to anchor you.". 

It doesn't matter how much I would LOVE to uptier my 704 or even bring my ELC for the lulz, but that would be disrespectful to the other two members.

It doesn't matter if you win up winning the game with the inferior tank, it's the show of willingness to take responsibility that matters.

Well this sort of explains why I've been having trouble finding platoon mates in the WoTLabs channel.

I am a 49er as of now and have some AWFUL stats mostly on tier 8 and below tanks (some 9s too).

If anyone cares, the reason for this is early on, I rushed for my first tier 10 (E5) and enjoyed the level of play in that tier a LOT more than any other tier. So I pretty much stuck to tier 10s as much as possible; thus got "better" at that tier. There are a lot of tier 8-9 tanks I actually haven't played extensively for months and have bad stats in them (because I sucked when I played them last...)

I am definitely looking to platoon up with people who are better than me, in order to learn from them on the long run.

I don't want to be carried and I don't give a crap about my stats. I want to improve my play so I win more, so I have more fun.

Actually, I hate being "carried" and when I play with better players than me, my goal is to do better than them in at least a couple games per session. If I can't achieve at that, I'm playing with someone too good for me.

What I mean to say is if you're reading this and want to platoon up (doing 10s and 8s recently), try me! I'm looking to learn and I do it the hard way. If you're willing to put up with me, thank you! If not, then you may move on. No hard feelings.

Thanks

I'm like a potato someone dropped on the ground in a city. Respectful people usually ignore me for something more high quality. But the less fortunate just scored a 'new' potato to help get them through another day. 

If it makes you feel any better, you're my favorite potato <3

Yeah most unicums chill in a different channel

Nobody tells me nuthin.

Well this sort of explains why I've been having trouble finding platoon mates in the WoTLabs channel.

[snip]

Yeah, that was the intent :P Hit me up for a plat later.

If I can try and shed some light on my own experience as a former 47% player who has slowly been improving.

I started out knowing nothing about WoT and would suiscout my T-50. After 1500 games, I quit as a solid 47% orange player with a smattering of tier 4-6 tanks in my garage. I came back to tanks about 6 months ago and decided to get better.

Came back to the game and did a little bit of research on maps, angling, sidescraping, and put some EQ on my tanks, and some consumables. I also started watching people like Sela, Junkers, and others play to see if I could learn from them. I was too embarassed to ask good people to play with me, so solo-pubbed my way up to 50% W/R and yellow Wn7. It's really not that hard to do unless you really have a ton of games. Don't be afraid to play op tanks at tiers 5-6 to get your W/R up. Even if the tank is brokenly good, it still feels awesome to get 3k damage in a Hellcat.

Then I started to look for platoons with slightly better players than myself, and actually asked them for advice and watched them play when I died. I kept getting better, albeit slowly, and altough I'm still an overall yellow in Wn8, I'm 60day green, and methodically getting better. I've also found that as I improve and play with people better than me while asking for advice, more people are willing to platoon with me as well. I mostly now play with solid greens and blues, and every so often a purple, but am never afraid to solo-pub.

Anyway, I'll shut-up now, but I guess what I wanted to say was you may need to pull yourself up a bit on your own in order to get to where you want to be.

If I'm going to platoon with someone who is "worse" than I am, I'll stick to the mid tiers. Bring a tier-V and I'm confident enough if my skills there to carry anyone. I hesitate to throw down Xs with just anyone as I am just now beginning to improve up there...

After ~1500 derptastic solo-pub yolo-potato games...

So shameful...

So scrubby...

I have the most fun in V-VII anyways, but owning a X with nice stats is a personal goal and a mission.

I used to just send out a general message if I felt like platooning with people who could carry. Now I just PM certain people. I'll normally platoon with anyone if they ask though. 

And yes, Jake. XVM camo too good to let go. 

Another evening as a 49er...

Did pretty good by myself, just not good enough to carry the flow of reds to victory consistently. Horrible session. Spent 3 hours in the WoTLabs channel, could not get a platoon...

Seems like a dead end where I'm at. I'm good enough to carry sometimes, but not enough to do it consistently, thus, bad win ratio, thus can't get a platoon, thus can't learn much new, thus can't carry consistently, thus bad win ratio and so on... It's becoming quite discouraging...

I got tired and joined a team battle in my Pershing. Had a decent setup too actually. Started the battle and ended up against Millard and his guys on mine (south spawn).

Strangely, the teammates seemed to know what to do, even though they were mostly orange and yellow (I was the "highest" rated player on my team). Both our T1s scouted East and West side and all of our force went to the center of the map.

Stranger even, Millard's guys had split up. Millard was in a WZ-132 and got on hill quickly. They had a T69 go island and he actually got in a spot where he couldn't support his team. We literally had 4 heavies and a medium (me) to their 3 heavies and a light.

My mates decided to stall there instead of coordinating a push and we got picked off one by one without taking a single one of them down.

Back in lobby, I told my mates that in a situation like that where we have the advantage, we should've pushed quickly, using that advantage. Also, specifically in that situation, pushing would've made it even harder for Millard and the T69 to support the heavies, because Millard would be isolated on hill and forced to fall back and the T69 would have to go around the map to finally get to us.

I was then kicked on the pretext that I was obviously very bad because of that comment, and I apparently hadn't followed "orders" to apparently go island (which wasn't even requested by anyone, after checking the replay).

TL:DR; I'm stuck playing solo or with complete noobs because of the 49% stat, even though I am (I think) obviously much better than that. I'll keep sitting in the WoTLabs channel asking for platoons in the future. Hopefully, I can find some regular platoon mates who can help me become good enough to carry a team consistently in solo...

I'm at work, so I can't give you our TS, but look up some of us from M--M, ask for the TS, then hang around some. We do team battles quite often and if you ask politely, I'm sure someone will invite you.

i would kill for a purple platoon-mate, been trying to learn more but i almost always get shunned.  sean911 helped me when he could but when he was running NUKED he barely had time for anything but clan matters. 

i have been working very hard..  albeit alone to improve my stats..  marred by a long standing "not give a fuck" attitude i used to have.  the challenge i payed Garbad to do with the bat chat helped my play a lot, and not just with the bat..  but also helped me realize that the thing really has a skill floor too high for me at the time and i have since retired it until such a time as i am worthy to pick it up again.

i learn by doing, learn under fire.  i have come a long way from a 44% 600 WN7 to now almost 50% with an 1120 WN7 overall, and sustaining around 1300+.  sadly, i am still performing poorly and i find myself often letting my team down by sheer indecisive play leading to low damage output and not carrying my own weight.  i came here because the general knowledge well on the other forum is all but dry and troll just run a muck. 

i like some of the people i platoon with (on the rare occasion there is anyone actually on i know), and i don't mean to knock them..  but i often find myself carrying them more than being a coordinated team..  i am not satisfied with how i am doing solo and i have come to understand i can't learn more by myself.  my tier 8 play is mere average, my tier 10 pathetic at best.  if any blue or purple could find it in their heart to help a yellow hellbent on becoming a blue or purple themselves, no matter what it takes..  i would do whatever asked (except money, fiscally i am doing all i can to hang on)., no matter how boring, how much i hate it, so long as it is actually improving my game.  i am more than willing to follow purple orders in a platoon, take advice, and fight till the last

I ask in the wotlabs channel for a last all the time, and if the other guy in my platoon is good, i dont care about how bad the last guy is. I kinda feel like most of the "bad" players are ignoring me tho. Dont know if they are scared of doing bad, or what the problem is.

i mostly platoon with anyone nowadays.

i warn you though, i sometimes get pissed off at people who camp excessively. Or those people in a 3v1 and no one wants to poke out to take the shot from the enemy tonk cuz every1 wants to use the others as meat shields, even when full hp. Honestly, if you play like that, fuck you and I hope you never have to play a tourney or CW game.

There is definitely some performance pressure that will be felt when one is platooning with somebody a lot more skilled than them. I certainly had (and still somewhat do) it back when I was a green/blue. 

There is definitely some performance pressure that will be felt when one is platooning with somebody a lot more skilled than them. I certainly had (and still somewhat do) it back when I was a green/blue. 

I concur. However, after a realy good E25 run yesterday with a couple of really good & well-known players I came to realize 3 things:

1) I can, indeed, play with the big dogs.

2) I follow orders and suggestion really well, but if left to my own devices don't make horrible decisions.

3) Some people just wear their carrying pants more often than others.

All of this sounds good except 1 thing: the only tier 8 (that isn't stock) that I currently have is the KV-4 (I also have a stock IS-3 and am about halfway to the T32), and I don't see very many tier 7 and below platoons (or if they do include tier 7 and below, it's usually something like 7-10 - tiers I don't have yet)

I came here to learn. I love the idea of tearing back the hidden gems that make a person good and then using them. Then teaching them to someone else. I am a person wit ha 48% win right now. I just came back from a break. Willing to learn would be an understatment for me ><. I usually push my self to the point of headaches while learning stuff like this. Sounds crazy but it fun. I did this for Call Of Duty and ended up play as a Sniper not to be messed with it was great. But I enjoyed handing off what I had learned to others. Love it the skills live on through other keeping the game better and all that work and thought alive 2. 

I love platooning with people that now more then me that have more of a clue then me love it I do.

Was that good enough ? Whats funny is its actully true. I find tooning with people around my level they usually dont have a clue. No goals they grab a tnk and go. So I usually end up soloing it.>< I dont have time for egos and now it alls that dont want to work on learning or becoming better.

Love this post Love it.

Cr0m

I decided to come back an ADD this I used to play with a clan called Iron Wolves was a while back the game play was great the learn none stop I loved it.

I Want to platoon with guys who will teach me.  I think I am pretty agressive. I dont like camping unless im forced to smoke comming out of ears but at the same time suiciding without purpose is not somthing im intrested in either. REALLY DESPRATE REALLY !!!!

im about to quit this game because I cant seem to get anywere. I only want those stats so I can play with guys like havak, Relic again I did before I left. PLEASE !!!!  

Do I sound Desprate enough ><.

For me personally i have not asked for any  platoons yet because i"m still trying to go over the basics all over again. I don"t want to pull some one down and i"m not good enough to try and carry anyone so for me it is simple get my skill lvl up enough that people wont mind platooning with me then i will start to ask around some.

"All the bad habits  that i have picked up i must try to fix first"

I came here to learn. I love the idea of tearing back the hidden gems that make a person good and then using them. Then teaching them to someone else. I am a person wit ha 48% win right now. I just came back from a break. Willing to learn would be an understatment for me ><. I usually push my self to the point of headaches while learning stuff like this. Sounds crazy but it fun. I did this for Call Of Duty and ended up play as a Sniper not to be messed with it was great. But I enjoyed handing off what I had learned to others. Love it the skills live on through other keeping the game better and all that work and thought alive 2. 

I love platooning with people that now more then me that have more of a clue then me love it I do.

Was that good enough ? Whats funny is its actully true. I find tooning with people around my level they usually dont have a clue. No goals they grab a tnk and go. So I usually end up soloing it.>< I dont have time for egos and now it alls that dont want to work on learning or becoming better.

Love this post Love it.

Cr0m

I decided to come back an ADD this I used to play with a clan called Iron Wolves was a while back the game play was great the learn none stop I loved it.

I Want to platoon with guys who will teach me.  I think I am pretty agressive. I dont like camping unless im forced to smoke comming out of ears but at the same time suiciding without purpose is not somthing im intrested in either. REALLY DESPRATE REALLY !!!!

im about to quit this game because I cant seem to get anywere. I only want those stats so I can play with guys like havak, Relic again I did before I left. PLEASE !!!!  

Do I sound Desprate enough ><.

For me personally i have not asked for any  platoons yet because i"m still trying to go over the basics all over again. I don"t want to pull some one down and i"m not good enough to try and carry anyone so for me it is simple get my skill lvl up enough that people wont mind platooning with me then i will start to ask around some.

"All the bad habits  that i have picked up i must try to fix first"

Hello all!

I completely reflect the same sentiments as these two tankers here.  I have been studying live streams, core mechanics discussions, and in general have attempted to be a good student with all the fundamentals of good play.  Right now, my biggest problem is consistently doing my own HP in damage.  From some of my own replays, it is from making the wrong decisions.  As a result, I'm not where I can affect the outcome of battle most.

That said, I am very willing to learn and hope that someone here with more experience than me will be kind enough to 'toon with me and teach me to get better.  (I just hope you're really nice at ripping me a new one!)

~AJ

Check out M-I-T, I believe Ruestir has a recruiting thread on here, and give him a PM. Pretty sure he can get you started improving.

*edit*, this was in response to aj_007

Check out M-I-T, I believe Ruestir has a recruiting thread on here, and give him a PM. Pretty sure he can get you started improving.

*edit*, this was in response to aj_007

Canadiantrex,

I will find the thread and PM him.

It's funny that you're in M--M; PubWhisperer (previously known as CybranLoyalist) recruited me into my very first clan before he himself was affiliated with SIMP.  I think he spoke to The_Millard the other day on my behalf regarding some possible 1 on 1 tutoring.  I am serious about improving (at my own pace, of course), so your help is really appreciated!

Thanks again!  I hope everyone in this thread continues their endeavors to improve, and I will see you all on the (terrifying) pub fields.

~AJ