Intumesce

Type 61: Exceeding Expectations

Those occasional moments when I can open up with the 90mm, it's epic. But, you're so soft and uncamoed that those instances don't really exist.

I am just going to free exp the tracks and turret for the type 61, not really worried about using the 90 to get the 105. I do pretty well in high rof dpm machines. The STA-1 is one of my best tanks

So after 150 games in this tank it appears that the hatch cannot be used to spot enemies, yet they can spot you if they have view over it. I am frequently spotted by tanks on the other side of rises when only my hatch is visible yet I cannot counter spot them at all, even if they are large heavies with no camo at all.

I've also finally pulled ahead of the 2000DPG barrier that was embarrassingly difficult to breach and it is moving towards the mid 2.5K where my other T9 mediums are at. I'm getting far better at driving this tank now but it still feels like dealing with the tanks shittiness is a bigger battle than actually playing the game. Only 60k XP to go to the STB and I will be able to sell this tank and try to forget it ever existed.

-Edit-

Did some training room testing with a friend, the machine gun on the hatch can be used as a point to spot your tank, but it cannot actually spot anything itself. I've never had this happen in other tanks with machine guns like the IS-7 but it's a bit fucking stupid I think.

Its the mini turret, not the MG, same with the A-44.

Its the mini turret, not the MG, same with the A-44.

When testing we made sure to keep the mini turret below the terrain with just the MG showing. The mini turret was clearly below the terrain from my view point, but I will ask my friend for his replay to confirm that he could only see the MG.

My friend couldn't actually shoot it, he could only see it and it kept my tank spotted.

-Edit- 

I will bring a 3rd tank next time who can use sniper mode to line up the my tank and the spotter tank to get a better look at whether the hatch is even a tiny bit above the crest.

Type 61 isn't a keeper

It's not fun to play, it doesn't go fast, it doesn't have good camo, it doesn't have good armor, it only has a gun and gun depression, and even then the gun isn't all that great

I can't stand this thing. PTA and Cent7 are way better at what they do. I don't know if I'm going to make it to the stb1 or if it's even worth it. 

The gun is HORRIBLE. Feels way worse than .35 and the aim time is crap. 

I have to say after unlocking everything this tank became really fun to drive, sure its nowhere near russian meds but abusing the gun depression with quite capable gun (maybe not best sniping gun around but gets things done) makes it fun to play. The only really annoying part is that terrible tumor on turret WILL be the reason why people spot you.

I wrote my own review of this tank before it got banished to the void of subforums on the wot main forum.  You guys have a much different opinion than I do.  To me this is the most boring med 2014..I didn't want to make a new topic, or maybe I should?  Here's the link.

Maybe I'm just bad?  I didn't think 2400 dpg was too terrible in the Type 61 given how garbage it's gun handling is.  So many shots that could have been but never were.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/336822-the-type-61-a-buns-opinion/page__fromsearch__1

O my G*D . This thing kicks A** . THE TRANCHE FIGHTER 

I'm loving it.  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Fully upgraded is so fun . But remember kids. You are not t54. So dont go up front . Snipe them to hell . 

Running Vstab , rammer, Vents . Don't need optics . Why you ask ? 

Your camo value is shit and you can't passive scout. Live that to scouts .

Bang , Bang , Bang , Bang = your dead = 1600 dmg

Only thing is APCR loses lot of pen by the distance on that L7 gun .  

I'm considering Free XPing to the tier 8 or tier 9.

What tier is worth playing to build up crew?

I've completed the tier 4 and have been ready to buy the tier 5 but have held off for awhile.

I'm considering Free XPing to the tier 8 or tier 9.

What tier is worth playing to build up crew?

I've completed the tier 4 and have been ready to buy the tier 5 but have held off for awhile.

Tier 5 is competent though unexceptional. It is in a tier with a lot of great tanks (KV-1, T49 e.g.) and it i just not good enough in comparison. 6 is also acceptable, but it is possibly worse for-tier having the M18 and KV-1S dominating that tier. The 7 is garbage. I am really enjoying the 8.

One option would be to use the 50% credit increase plus 2x crew bonus to play the 5 this weekend intensively, then skip either the 6 and 7 or at the very least the 7. The 8 is tricky to play stock without copious APCR spam.

Tier 5 is competent though unexceptional. It is in a tier with a lot of great tanks (KV-1, T49 e.g.) and it i just not good enough in comparison. 6 is also acceptable, but it is possibly worse for-tier having the M18 and KV-1S dominating that tier. The 7 is garbage. I am really enjoying the 8.

One option would be to use the 50% credit increase plus 2x crew bonus to play the 5 this weekend intensively, then skip either the 6 and 7 or at the very least the 7. The 8 is tricky to play stock without copious APCR spam.

Thanks for info!

I got pretty bored with this tank by the end of the grind. The jokes with my friends was that every singe game was 2.5-3k damage. This tank had enough good things that I could usually get in spots to do damage. On the other hand it had enough weaknesses that I never really did anything amazing with it. In the end I never got ace with it, which was strange. But I also had pretty good average stats.

Oh well. Wasn't awful, wasn't great. That's about all I got out of it.

O my G*D . This thing kicks A** . THE TRANCHE FIGHTER 

I'm loving it.  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Fully upgraded is so fun . But remember kids. You are not t54. So dont go up front . Snipe them to hell . 

Running Vstab , rammer, Vents . Don't need optics . Why you ask ? 

Your camo value is shit and you can't passive scout. Live that to scouts .

Bang , Bang , Bang , Bang = your dead = 1600 dmg

Only thing is APCR loses lot of pen by the distance on that L7 gun .

Guns that carry APCR as standard don't lose pen over distance.

This tank is fairly unstable for me. It does have superb DPM, but it is wrapped in a low-camo, low-armor, bad gun handling package. If it finds a distracted enemy, it will make absolute mincemeat out of it, but the lack of camo/armor makes LeoPTA-style camo sniping or Cent/M46-style terrain abuse both unfeasible options. City maps have proven to be my bane-- it doesn't have the usable armor to take a hit and the gun handling is just bad enough to make quick peeks unviable. And then every once in a while tanks will drive sideways to me and I'll roll up 7 kills or 6K dmg.

Guns that carry APCR as standard don't lose pen over distance.

Well, they do, just not much. All the tier 10 mediums with APCR lose 10mm. Despite what Wargaming has stated, it's not at all uncommon for APCR rounds to lose smaller amounts of penetration at range than AP rounds.

Anyway, have acquired vehicle. It's okay. I like it more than the STA-1, though that isn't saying much. Did not enjoy paying 55k XP to unlock the same 105mm gun for a fourth time, but so it goes. 

Does still have the annoying tendency to detonate instantly when artillery hits it. Had a particularly frustrating match where I managed to spend eight minutes on Lakeville dealing 4.3k damage and managing to take none in return. Enemy is down to an M40/M43 and GW Tiger P. I spot and kill the 40/43 within a few seconds, though he sees me in return. Within seconds I lose all 1,700 HP to a shot from the GW.

Disapproval.jpg

lakeville-japan-type-61-8043037218833198

The tumor on the turret is just so obscenely large. I don't know how many 61s I've wrecked just shooting that thing over hills.

Not only is it a large weakspot, it is also a vision checkpoint. So you get lit when that tumor pokes over the hill, long before you can get your gun on target.