Intumesce

Type 61: Exceeding Expectations

I messed around with this tank on the test server to decide if I want to continue on to it.  I really can't see any point in playing it though.  I had thought it at least had a DPM advantage, but it actually falls behind the T-54, M46, and even the E-50.  Gun handling felt fairly poor and armor basically non-existent.  Mobility felt decent but nothing particularly wonderful.  I'm not planning to go beyond the STA.

The only good news is I wanted to compare it to the E-50 so I played that for a bit.  Now I kinda want to get the E-50 back.  I even have a spare crew....

Haven't played in a couple months and saw that this is part of this weeks "On track" event so was going to commit to picking up where I left off at the STA-1. I was quietly confident about doing well (Personally) with this tank as I have with other meds (T-54 2200dmg, PTA 2000dmg and STA 1900dmg avg) but you guys have put a dampener on that mood. Surely it's not at lame as you make out.... monotonous grinding is why I took a break -.-

Oh man. 5 games in and I'm so glad that this tank is the one standing between me and the STB-1 for this on track event. Just had a game on South Coast where my WN8 was OVER 9000!!!
53833cb69c81a50b75010000.jpg

This tank is so much better than the STA-1 thanks to replacing the STA-1's anemic needle gun with the L7.

Edit: This tank is a sniping BEAST. I'm only like 12 games in (mostly platooned), but this tank really has that "keeper" feel to it. Will report back if my opinion changes after I grind out the STB-1. Here's two more replays on Prokhorovka, one on each spawn:

Edited by CarbonatedPork

From a meta standpoint a gold spam 90mm seems like a better option than 105, that 10 RPM on 90 seems badass.

From a meta standpoint a gold spam 90mm seems like a better option than 105, that 10 RPM on 90 seems badass.

Yeah, I could see how that gun could be feasible with a full gold loadout. Dat DPM would be ridiculous. I don't think I could let go of the 1478 FPS shell speed on the L7's APCR, though.

10 RPM? Maybe on the stock turret. The Type 61's 90 has 12 RPM, putting the Cent's 20lber to shame.  Thing is only 125 dpm off the Object 263, the highest dpm T10.

Not only that, but with the 90mm the Type 61 is rocking some pretty ridiculously good gun handling, again putting the Cent to shame.

You might be on to something - if you can get around the low alpha, the Type 61's 90 is really fucking good.

10 RPM? Maybe on the stock turret. The Type 61's 90 has 12 RPM, putting the Cent's 20lber to shame.  Thing is only 125 dpm off the Object 263, the highest dpm T10.

Not only that, but with the 90mm the Type 61 is rocking some pretty ridiculously good gun handling, again putting the Cent to shame.

You might be on to something - if you can get around the low alpha, the Type 61's 90 is really fucking good.

That's the big problem, though. Even more so than the Centurion 7, the vehicle is totally unsuited to the kind of sustained exposure the 90mm requires. I have been instagibbed from full health by artillery more times in this vehicle than anything else in recent memory.

That's the big problem, though. Even more so than the Centurion 7, the vehicle is totally unsuited to the kind of sustained exposure the 90mm requires. I have been instagibbed from full health by artillery more times in this vehicle than anything else in recent memory.

Yeah, this tank has horrid exposure issues. With a soft turret and near-worst-in-class camo, when it fires, it will get lit, and when lit, it will get shot at, and when shot at, it will be penned.

I enjoyed the 90mm and it's gun handling once I unlocked the 105mm I was disappointed with everything but the alpha. The only problem is being able to get that many shots off with the 90mm can be a challenge. Especially with how easy the tank is spotted by that stupid commanders hatch I swear its bugged. Then once you're lit it seems like everyone is shooting at you.

Being able to spot an enemy tank off their commanders hatch is one of the laughably most broken parts of the game. If they ever update the stupid spotting mechanics it should be much harder to spot a tank off one point than multiple (and the commanders hatch should be much harder).

I've only had trouble with the tumor in one place so far: the south ramp to the hill on mines. That particular hill lacks cover and is gradual enough to highlight that weakness of the Type 61. Every other crest I've taken the tank on affords me the ability to peekaboo, either to get a cheeky shot in or get some lights. As long as I duck back fully behind the terrain after peeking and move to another spot, I'm able to minimize that tumor's effect.

Absolutely stunning match in my Type 61. Know why?

Practically a Steel Wall right there.

Do you even tank bro?

Jy6LPWO.jpg

Only tank mid on abbey, just poking at m103 and t54.  The turret can bounce a few shots - don't count on it esp against gold rounds, but it's better than some others especially if you keep the tumor moving.

I started out with my first few games in this tank being quite good for a brand new tank, so I was thinking "hey this isn't too bad, I sort of like this tank".  Then I played it more and started to realize how unstable this tank is.  I either get great games or abso-fucking-lutely horrible games, but nothing in between.  I just can't find any consistency in this thing.  I like the gun most of the time and the gun depression and feel like everything else about it is a steaming pile of shit.

I started out with my first few games in this tank being quite good for a brand new tank, so I was thinking "hey this isn't too bad, I sort of like this tank".  Then I played it more and started to realize how unstable this tank is.  I either get great games or abso-fucking-lutely horrible games, but nothing in between.  I just can't find any consistency in this thing.  I like the gun most of the time and the gun depression and feel like everything else about it is a steaming pile of shit.

I guess after playing the STA-1 and learning how to play like a bitch by avoiding getting shot at all costs, the Type 61's alpha on the L7 is a godsend. Doing the KraftLawrence have-a-plan thing and recognizing when to support the heavies works well, too. On brawly maps with a strong heavy team I'll often hang right behind them and wait for the enemy tanks to reload to get a 390-alpha hit in and scurry back behind the heavies afterwards.

Strangely enough, the Type 61 has been one of my more consistent tanks, glass cannon and all.

This thing has got to be the most throughly mediocre tank I've played in a very long time. It does everything just well enough not to be thoroughly infuriating, but has no leverage able strengths to carry if your team starts folding. 

Trying to solo pub and carry pubbies in this thing made me rage so hard I got my first chat ban  :doubleguns2:

I'd rather play the PTA than this thing. At least I'd have speed and camo to work with. 

Type 61 best WN8 padder tank. Didn't expect much from it but it really surprised me, great gun and gun depression. Just don't get hit by arty. Not a keeper for me though, I enjoy STB-1 and M46 more.

b3QYjke.png

:maniac:

My thoughts after 128 battles in it with 105mm:

This tank is not bad at all, but has very specific playstyle.

Alpha, depression, and DPM are great, RNG makes my cry regularly, because when you miss, you frequently miss in series. Shooting before  aiming circle starts squeezing means 90% chance of miss, even at close distance. Camo is meh, vision is so-so, armor is foil (I am always very surprised when I bounce, or another Type 61 bounces my shot, and both are rare events). Mobility is not on par with most other tier 9 mediums. Have to be careful driving as tracks are weak, and many times even small jump or light impact with terrain means you are tracked, got module damage and crew injured.

Modules and crew are very prone to damage, arty splash is nightmare, and arty loves aiming at you. You need to be aware not only about yout own exposure, but about exposure of nearby noobs who can attract arty shots which will ultimately deal more damage to you than to that ignorant moron. If mod existed which reports than nearby teammate was lit :smiledown: , it would be must for this tank.

As far as I remember, I was oneshot only 2 times while driving tier 8+ before I bought this tank, once with T-44 (arty) and once with 54E1 (shot by 183). After 128 battles with 61, I was oneshot 3 times already, twice by arty, once by 183.

Very team dependent, good scouts or frontliners are essential. Can deal a lot of damage as opportunist, but do not expect to carry games except occasionally.

Solopub your choices are limited to:

- sniping from behind as long as you can while avoiding being spotted/shot by any costs (having sixth sense and hard cover nearby is essential 100% of the time) until the game crosses equator.

- wolfpack with other Type 61 and/or T-54 works wonders, but requires triple platoon and favorable map.

Type 61 best WN8 padder tank. Didn't expect much from it but it really surprised me, great gun and gun depression. Just don't get hit by arty. Not a keeper for me though, I enjoy STB-1 and M46 more.

b3QYjke.png

:maniac:

Why is your hit rate 73%? Not that it matters of course :D

Something about this tank just clicks with me. I love the gun. I find it just dishes out the pain. 

Only 78 battles in but this tank is my top tank for dpg and experience. I'm not a huge damage deliverer like many here so the numbers aren't super impressive, but for me, the tank just seems very easy to play. But then again, I like the M48/M60 as well.