Intumesce

Type 61: Exceeding Expectations

Your right. The 105 makes for sense for this tank (peekaboom gun depression), the opportunity to use the 90mm DPM even heat spamming was limited. I didn't do bad with 90mm but not really stellar either, I do miss the gun handling and seemed more capable against a derping scout tank.

The camo on this tank is complete shit and I don't understand why, I prefer the PTA over it myself also.

The same argument holds for the 90 mm on the PTA and the 20 pdr on the Cent 7/1. These are soft-ish, low-ish camo tanks. They are best served peeking every 9-10s and getting a shot off, then going dark for 10 seconds. To use the DPM on the intermediate guns requires significant exposure, and in the current meta that exposure WILL be punished.

So they say, I wonder if WG are just bullshitting us.

did not know that ODlQkg2.png

my life will never be the same

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills right now.

Well, they do, just not much. All the tier 10 mediums with APCR lose 10mm. Despite what Wargaming has stated, it's not at all uncommon for APCR rounds to lose smaller amounts of penetration at range than AP rounds.

The mediums with standard APCR all lose 10mm and the T71 loses a whopping 2.

what about 121 then (sry for tacking thread off topic for a post or 2)

it has AP...

and if APCR is prem ammo, does it lose more pen over distance than when apcr is standard? did i understand that right?

Have a ridiculously hard time getting this to work, to the point where I NEED a platoon just to win in it.  And even then, in a platoon, I either do a whole lot of damage... or I get hit by artillery and do nothing.

The biggest weakness of the Type 61 so far has been all the artillery shells raining down on it. It feels as if I get targeted by the m55's, lorraines and batchat artillery every second game, and every third or fourth they outright crush my tank before I can do any proper amount of damage. I used to like artillery, played the m40/m43 quite a lot, but now I hate it. There's no way I'm driving artillery ever again.

I really like the Type 61 though, it's really pleasant to drive, prefer it over the leoPTA. Started out at ~ 43% or so wins in it, but I've been steadily climbing up so I'm at 49,11 at the moment. Do you think it's worth keeping or should I trade it in for the STB-1 when I've unlocked it?

Min pen roll/dat angling?

Yeah, probably the latter. I think the armor can't ever get enough effective thickness without reaching autobounce angles to resist a low roll BL-10 shot. It's still very likely a bounce I won't see again before I sell the tank.

The biggest weakness of the Type 61 so far has been all the artillery shells raining down on it. It feels as if I get targeted by the m55's, lorraines and batchat artillery every second game, and every third or fourth they outright crush my tank before I can do any proper amount of damage. I used to like artillery, played the m40/m43 quite a lot, but now I hate it. There's no way I'm driving artillery ever again.

I really like the Type 61 though, it's really pleasant to drive, prefer it over the leoPTA. Started out at ~ 43% or so wins in it, but I've been steadily climbing up so I'm at 49,11 at the moment. Do you think it's worth keeping or should I trade it in for the STB-1 when I've unlocked it?

Completely agreed. I have hard times with brawling in current meta with tank that has no armor. Avoiding arty at the same time is just pain. I got oneshotted from full hps few times and 61 is prone to this. I am considering selling it in favor of STB, because they are almost the same (gun characteristics), while STB has more armor to help with arty issue. Overall nice tank if you manage to use camo (which is hard on certain maps).

Completely agreed. I have hard times with brawling in current meta with tank that has no armor. Avoiding arty at the same time is just pain. I got oneshotted from full hps few times and 61 is prone to this. I am considering selling it in favor of STB, because they are almost the same (gun characteristics), while STB has more armor to help with arty issue. Overall nice tank if you manage to use camo (which is hard on certain maps).

The camo values on the thing is pretty bad. Feels similar to the Panther II at times. Very fun tank to drive when there's few mediums and artillery on the enemy team though.

Love the type61, easily 2nd favorite tier 9 tank after the T-54. The gun is amazing in both ways, it can completely derp one moment but then reward you the next time you get into a good position. Lategame is almost batchat quality.

Not much is left of my commander, though. Poor guy.

Well, I just got the Type 61 today, and I was pretty excited to get it after the STA-1.  But with such mixed reviews, I don't know anymore!  

Biggest beef with the STA-1 was that it was too hard to find platoon-mates who wanted to grind regular 8's, and it was just too hard to try to carry in when running solo (due to that non-existent armor thing and all).

Will hop into some games with it tonight and see how it goes (fingers crossed).

I liked the sta-1 but not the type 61. -shrugs-

Researched:
STB-1 researched. Undistributed experience spent: 70438. Free Experience spent: 184,562.

So I'm don't even have 50 games in this tank, I only free xp'd the tracks and engine, and I have the turret now.

My impressions: the gun rof is disgusting: 4.21 sec w/ only BiA, 4 sec a/ food and BiA, and I don't even want to know if I use vents with it. The tank feels very good after going through the STA-1. Faster, higher ROF to compensate the botched shots, and that isn't even the top gun? Yes please. If the stock gun had better penetration and alpha, there would be no reason for me to use the top gun. I absolutely love having the freedom to fire a shell whenever I want even if it makes me expose myself. I do find the exposure to be a bit much, but brawling has never been more fun. Although I love this tank, people were right about its stability. I have streaks of amazing games if my team is beautiful and does what they need to do to win. But if the team is not gorgeous and just potatoes, the type 61 just can't recover and it gets shit on.

Just today, I had 5 straight games of 3500 WN8 victories and then 5 straight losses with 1000 WN8. It's mind boggling how dependent it is on the team's performance lest it gets fucked.

To be honest I am really happy to let this tank behind. I could not get this tank to work in a way it satisfies me.

But first things first. The stock grind on this tank is not bad at all. You have a pretty decent gun from the STA and unlike the STA the Type does have gundepression with the stock turret. The only big problem is the lack of alpha. This peeshoter isn't enough to scare the enemy. You do have a high dpm though, but you have to show yourself everytime you shot. And one thing you don't want to in this big paper tank, is to give the enemies opportunities to shoot you.

And there comes a huge drawback to play. Really bad camo. The combination of bad camo, no armor and huge profile is terrible.

After a while you get the topgun, but this gun is a real bitch. Even with a four skill crew with Bia and aiming skills.

So, after finally getting my second MoE with the STA (don't laugh… :sad: ), I'll probably be getting the Type this week-end.

Which modules should i free XP at all costs?  Can I go second turret/stock gun? I guess not, since it already didn't work very well on the Cent 7…

Also, consumables?

I freexped the tracks but researched all the other stuff. The stock grind isn't painful at all. One of the biggest plus you have on this tank.

You can definitely go with the stock turret. It is not like the STA were the stockturrert will kill you.

You can definitely go with the stock turret. It is not like the STA were the stockturrert will kill you.

Hmmm ?

Am at work, so I don't have access to fancy stuff like Tank Inspector, but from what I can access, TYpe and STA stock/elite turrets seem to be similar (+10 view range,+100 hp, more DPM for the non-elite guns), save that the elite type turret also gives better aimtime for the stock gun, and the DPM boost with it is rather massive…

What am I missing ?

Hmmm ?

Am at work, so I don't have access to fancy stuff like Tank Inspector, but from what I can access, TYpe and STA stock/elite turrets seem to be similar (+10 view range,+100 hp, more DPM for the non-elite guns), save that the elite type turret also gives better aimtime for the stock gun, and the DPM boost with it is rather massive…

What am I missing ?

I don't have access to TI right now either but the stock turret on the STA-1 has horrible gun depression compared to the upgraded one. The first turret has something like 6(?) degreees of gun depression, while the upgraded turret has 10.

Which is pretty problematic on a tank that has to avoid getting hit anywhere because it has no armour.

The stock turret on the Type 61 doesn't share that problem.

I don't have access to TI right now either but the stock turret on the STA-1 has horrible gun depression compared to the upgraded one.

Oh, yeah, I'm an idiot.

3° difference, sure is important when you're a paper tank. I had totally forgotten about that (prolly because I freexp it)